Home
Posted By: KC Submitted Colorado Applications - 03/07/14

Applications for the Colorado draw have to be submitted in a few weeks. I don't like to procrastinate so always submit well before the deadline. Here's what I applied for:

I have 16 preference points for elk. That's not enough to get a tag in any of the premium units that I have been waiting for.
1st choice Elk - Preference point.
2nd choice Elk - 3rd season Cow tag in an undersubscribed unit. I'll probably get that one. It's also a unit where OTC Bull tags are valid, so I'll go into the field with a cow tag and a bull tag.

I have no preference points for deer.
1st choice Deer - 2nd season Buck tag in the same unit where I will be hunting elk. It was undersubscribed last year so I have a pretty good chance of getting that tag.

I have 12 preference points for pronghorns.
1st choice Pronghorns - Buck tag in a trophy unit that required minimum of 12 points last year. Might get that one.
2nd choice Pronghorns - Doe tag in a unit close to home, that required zero points last year.

I have 3 + 11 points for Mountain Goats.
1st choice Mountain Goat - Either sex tag in the same unit where I hunted goats on a special management hunt, ten years ago. No statistics available for goat points. So it's anybody's guess.

I think I actually have a chance of getting either a mountain goat tag or a pronghorn tag in a trophy unit. So I'm not going to apply in any other states this year.

What are you guys applying for?

KC

I don't think there is a unit in the state worth 12pts for lope. Hope you aren't holding out for 3, that place has gone down hill.

With 16pts for elk, I would have tried for 61 or 76. There are 6000+ People with 16 or more points for elk right now.

Posted By: KC Re: Submitted Colorado Applications - 03/07/14

dogcatcher:

I respect your opinions, but I disagree.

KC

Desert bighorn in the unit by Cortez

High Country mule deer Unit 74---I've got 10 points I may draw that.

elk--1st rifle either sex

Moose----ranching for wildlife unit---I've max point 3 plus 12--I doubt it but someone has to draw.

PP for moose, at 55 I don't think I'll live long enough to draw a bull. PP for elk, and then bull tag 4th rifle, cow tag third choice 4th rifle, and late rifle cow as the final choice. PP for muley.
I'm hunting first season for bulls and 3rd season for mulies. I won't draw goat or sheep for a long, long time so just Points there.

Can't hunt in September or I'd chase bulls with my bow and possibly deer, too.

If somebody on this thread draws a goat or sheep tag, PLEASE PM me. I'd love to tag along and pack.

Tanner
You're on speed dial.....
Hoping to tag along on that bull hunt with you.
Lee. I have put in for moose every year they have had a draw. Think I'll quit this year. . Too old to do it as I couldn't
get one out if I killed it. I gave up on sheep and goat too.
Elk, either sex, first rifle hunt in Unit 23.
Preference point for use next year (THANKS KC and saddlesore!)
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I don't think there is a unit in the state worth 12pts for lope...

In 2010, I drew a Unit 79 pronghorn tag and killed a buck that made Boone & Crockett. It might be worth 12 points...
3rd season deer,

PP for elk..need one more point to be in the running for the muzz tag i want.
That'd be worth 12, congrats!
12 years to shoot one antelope...or go to Wyoming and you can dang near shoot one every year.
You wouldnt be going to Wyoming to shoot one every year if everyone was doing it..
Heck didn't know you could shoot a booner every year in WY. I'll have to go up there and roll a couple of book bucks.
12pts is no guarantee of a booner here either.
CO sucks for antelope. Glad his plan of spending 12 points worked perfectly. WY is way better choice. No argument just saying it was 12 points well spent.
Elk - OTC bull tag, as always. Will buy it later this year.

Elk - RFW cow tag for Snake River Ranch. I have a Pref Point so that should work.

Deer - undecided, Unit 3 or 4, 3rd season. No Pref Points. Also undecided on buck or doe. May just apply for a Pref Point.

Antelope - Preference Point. That will make 7.

Bear - Pref Point if anything. Have 3 now. Don't know if I'll bother.

Wyoming antelope - doe tag Unit 9. That should fly. May get a leftover if available.
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Lee. I have put in for moose every year they have had a draw. Think I'll quit this year. . Too old to do it as I couldn't
get one out if I killed it. I gave up on sheep and goat too.

I quit applying for moose Pref Points as well. Hate to loan the state my money and doubt I'll ever actually hunt one. Like you, getting it out would be problematic to say the least.

Good luck on your elk this year.
I burned my moose points last year on a ranching for wildlife cow moose. Just got done actually with a big plate of moose stroganoff. I was happy with a cow and it was a neat day. Way better odds than bulls.
Oh and for any body looking for a big bull moose, shoot me a pm. Saw two dandies in an elk unit I hunt last year and they'll be 40 years old before I draw a tag again.
Hate to ask, but how many points did the REF cow moose hunt take?
10 pts. If I want a bull, heading to Canada.
A guy could draw with 3 plus 0 of course. Glad I did it actually. Fun time.
Thanks. Got into the elk game 30 years too late I think. Always wanted a 280ish 6X6 gotten fair and square and a bull moose. Since my last debacle of an elk season I need to lower my sights and be happy with cows of both species.
our group put in today. smile

PP for deer, lope and bear

bull elk first rifle - intend to draw with a point in our unit

in fact... the bus leaves in less than 5000 hours. wahoo!

shane
I got mine in today:

Elk: Black Powder for the Sangres��have points and will draw. Will be great there in September
Deer: 4th season Area 6 will probably draw second choice area 18
Pronghorn: Area 87��drew last year so no hope this year
Mountain Goat: Three plus 8 weighted points�???
Desert Sheep: Well someone has to draw�why not me?
Bear: PP only�.not yet enough for the area I want to hunt
$669�ouch!
Elk � I�m going to let the younger fellas decide. We will be collecting a point and then a 2nd choice tag. I�ve hunted 10 units in Colorado and I�ve had a lot of say in our plans for years now. It�s time for the younger generation to take the reins. They�ve been discussing Cochetopa pass, Monarch pass, Cuchara pass areas. I usually also buy a leftover tag for someplace so I can have a weekend of hunting alone.

Deer � I�d consider spending my 6 points in whatever unit we hunt elk, but most years I just buy a landowner tag for one of my properties and then try to remember to keep a rifle in the truck I�ll probably put in for Kansas deer this year too.

Bighorn � Prolly see if I can draw a ewe tag. By the time I draw a ram I�d be to old to actually hunt it. If I draw then it might force me to finally buy an ATV because I don�t want to take my truck up the roads I plan to use.

Goat - point

Moose � Weiminuche. I only have 3+4 points but my brother has the max amount. I think it would be pretty funny if someday I draw before him.

Pronghorn � I think I have 17 points. I just really haven�t been that motivated for trophy antelope. I�ve thought about 79, 80, or Purgatory Ranch RFW but this year I put in for a point again. Most years I am content to get a couple of Wyoming does or a leftover doe from SE Colo. Maybe I�ll save those points for a year when I don�t have other hunts to look forward to.

All of that will set be back about $1000. I�m glad I get a tax refund.
Alamosa, how long has the Weiminuche had a moose season?
Originally Posted by smokepole
Alamosa, how long has the Weiminuche had a moose season?

I dunno. When I started applying I didn't even look at areas because I knew I had no chance. 5 years at least.

I still have no chance, or maybe same chance as winning the lottery.
Saddlesore,
If you draw a moose I'd help you pack it out. Seems like too big of an opportunity to pass up. Im a good pack mule..Anyways good luck in the draw
Put in for another point in 49. Have plenty to draw just need to get back to the States, likely 2016 season.
Originally Posted by Boman
Saddlesore,
If you draw a moose I'd help you pack it out. Seems like too big of an opportunity to pass up. Im a good pack mule..Anyways good luck in the draw

Hell, I would too, and I'd pay good money just to see what a CO moose tag looks like, get my picture taken with it and everything. I'm pretty sure SS has better pack mules than us though.
I'm down to one pack mule and the RFW ranch does not permit horses, mules or ATV's.

Season is Sept 13 -22 in North Park area
Well, I'd help you pack one but that's also ML season so I'll be busy.
First time submitting application for Colorado, so I put in for deer. Not holding my breath on drawing, so also planning on an OTC elk tag. Limited on time, money and Colorado knowledge so easing into it til I learn more about how to do it properly.
Well, I'd help you pack one but that's also ML season so I'll be busy.

I figure if I draw a moose tag I will hunt ML elk thru Wednsday,come home and pack up and leave Friday again.
If the weather cooperates, you'll only need a day up there.
Originally Posted by 30338
If the weather cooperates, you'll only need a day up there.

That is about what I figured. If it wasn't for being require dot go to the Friday orientation, I would go the following week.
KC, don't forget about the hybrid draw. The odds suck, but at least you have a chance to draw. With a point first, you have 0 chance of drawing
I'll be hunting elk first season, and bucks second if the draw works out in my favor.

I've never hunted deer second season (for myself at least) so this will be new. After seeing lots of photos of guys in Montana and Wyoming killing high country bucks in October, I'm going to see if I can find deer near timberline or slightly below it if we don't get much snow in October. I'll get a bear tag for that season, too.

September hunting will be a no-go for the next few years for me which is a bummer, but I ain't complaining too much.
I still haven't submitted my applications. Just can't figure out what I want to do for deer this year
Same here, just can't decide which hunt to pull the trigger on!
The crowd chants 3rd season somewhere in the central mountains!

Tanner
[Linked Image]

Saddlesore,

Hell, I would too, and I'd pay good money just to see what a CO moose tag looks like, get my picture taken with it and everything. I'm pretty sure SS has better pack mules than us though.

"Here's your sign"

Took 10 points. 2 hours of scouting the evening before, 4 hours of hunting the next day. Ranch hand provided an ATV to haul him out to the truck. Didn't go to the orientation.

Moral is: Don't give up---You can draw this tag......and you don't need a packhorse. (Well...unless you count your BIL as a packhorse)
KC

I'm Similar to your applications

I have 8 preference points for elk. After 2014 Draw unless Hybird 201 EE Rifle comes through.
1st choice Elk - Hybird 201 EER - Preference point.
2nd choice Elk - 3rd season Cow tag in an under subscribed unit. I'll probably get that one. It's also a unit where OTC Bull tags are valid, so I'll go into the field with a cow tag and a bull tag.

I have 11 preference points for deer after 2014
1st choice Deer PP - 2nd season Buck tag in the same unit where I will be hunting elk. Haven't pulled a tag for a buck in unit for 4 plus years 0-1 to draw HOPE/Dream...Maybe left over for other season???...

I have 12 preference points for pronghorns. After this years draw. 1st choice Pronghorns PP 2014- Which unit are you trying to pull on pronghorn KC?
Apps are in. It reminds me of why I am still living in Colorado. Family apps:

1 - Desert Ram
3 - Rockies
1 - Mtn goat
1 - bear
4 - elk
4 - deer
1- antelope
4 combo hunting/fishing licenses
4 $10 habitat stamps

Grand total less than $2,000. Majority will of course be refunded but always fun waiting to see results. Good luck to you guys in the draw.
Finally came to a decision on deer. I already have a pref point for deer so rather than apply for another my application was for a Unit 4 buck tag for 3rd Rifle. Didn't use my pref point as it shouldn't be needed. Decided not to apply for bear as I have 7 pref points and am not that enthused about hunting one.

The updated list:

Elk - OTC bull tag, as always. Will buy it later this year.

Elk - RFW cow tag for Snake River Ranch. I have a Pref Point so that should work.

Deer - Buck tag, Unit 4, 3rd season, didn't use my pref point.

Antelope - Preference Point. That will make 7.

Bear - No app.

Wyoming antelope - doe tag Unit 9. That should fly. May get a leftover if available.
To not use your pref point, did you put in for another area as 1st choice?
Why do they have that box that says, "Do you have preference points for this species?" or whatever it says? Agreed though, if CH put in for deer first choice and draws, that point is used. That said, not a point accumulator here:)
E-M-061-02-R I should draw. Don't want to wait years for more points to hunt a better season.

D-M-041-03-R

M-M-014-01-M

A-M-003-01-R I'm going to go to Wyo anyhow.
Originally Posted by plainview
[Linked Image]

Saddlesore,

"Here's your sign"

Took 10 points. 2 hours of scouting the evening before, 4 hours of hunting the next day. Ranch hand provided an ATV to haul him out to the truck. Didn't go to the orientation.

Moral is: Don't give up---You can draw this tag......and you don't need a packhorse. (Well...unless you count your BIL as a packhorse)

So that is what a Moose tag looks like!!!!! Awesome!!! Still waiting with 3-13 maybe before I have to use a track wheelchair!!!
Originally Posted by saddlesore
To not use your pref point, did you put in for another area as 1st choice?

Unit 4, 3rd rifle. I looked in the wrong column on that stats and saw some Choice 2 licenses were drawn, but later realized those all came form Land Owner apps. Only 111 of 195 General apps got tags so my chances are around 57%. Not a big deal as I'm not that keen on deer anyway. Most of it goes to jerky. If not selected I'll end up with another pref point.

To not use existing pref points all one has to do is not check the "I have Preference Points" box on the application.
Why do they have that box that says, "Do you have preference points for this species?" or whatever it says? Agreed though, if CH put in for deer first choice and draws, that point is used. That said, not a point accumulator here:)

They have the box to allow you to use or not use accumulated points. If you don't check it your points are NOT used, even if you get your first choice.

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

They have the box to allow you to use or not use accumulated points. If you don't check it your points are NOT used, even if you get your first choice.

If you draw your first choice hunt code, you use your preference points (See page 7 of the brochure, #3 under Preference Points).

The preference point check box just tells them you have preference points for the species so if for whatever reason they don't find any they double check.

CH,

Not true, don't do that if you don't want to use your points on a first choice.
What I don't like or understand is why I have to loan colorado the full price of a non resident elk tag when I'm only applying for a preference point !
My wife and I just applied for our tags. Everything is in Moffat County. Some RFW others are open lands. We applied for Pronghorn in area 3 even though it is not so much of a choice area anymore but it keeps us in the same area for all our hunting where we are familiar.
During the late 70's 80's and 90's I hunted Pronghorn in area 3 and put several trophys on the wall. One is 17.5 inches with an inch of ivory at the tips. I use to have a land owner's permit so I drew every year but that is gone now. Land owner Roger Pilgram has 1000's of acres in area 3 and he used to let people hunt the Pronghorn until some SOB dug a blind into the face of one of his damns during archery season and now it is no hunting for anyone.
Originally Posted by Aviator
What I don't like or understand is why I have to loan colorado the full price of a non resident elk tag when I'm only applying for a preference point !

I agree totally on this subject. The DOW is not making crap on the float of these funds. Why are they going to the expense of cutting and mailing refund checks out when they could just collect the preference point fee and incur no other costs.

They need some high paid consultants to review their internal processes. Plus my bet is they would get more people buying points if all they needed to do was send in $40.
I agree, but think of the millions of dollars they are making interest on. That is why they do it.

You actually don't want people buying points, the less the better.
They aren't making crap on the money market interest. Virtually zero for a 5 week to 8 week float. Next reason why they are too stupid to change that system? I love people buying points and never hunting.
I agree, but think of the millions of dollars they are making interest on. That is why they do it.

You actually don't want people buying points, the less the better.
The highlighted part. IMO, it's just a mechanism to keep the drawing pool smaller. Since I'm fine with parting with the cash I like it! If they just allowed you to buy a point, point creep in CO would get worse than it already is and it would happen faster. Unless they charged similar to what WY does for points.
Originally Posted by exbiologist

CH,

You are right - I just gave CPW a call and verified. Bummer - now I don't know if I want to draw for deer or not.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by exbiologist

CH,

You are right - I just gave CPW a call and verified. Bummer - now I don't know if I want to draw for deer or not.

If you did it by computer ,there is a line on your transaction copy that you can go into a web site and change what you listed. I think you have to do it by April 11. Good luck
I'm ready to barf and or call and beg to change my choices, just based on the gamble of points I did.

False, call and get the facts before running your pie hole.
So the money sits in a non-interest bearing account? Not likely.
I dont recall the specifics, but I dont think any state collects interest off of application money.
I could be wrong, but then one has to ask why do they charge full price and sit on the funds for months? Seems odd, especially when states like UT only ding you if you draw. They are actually losing money by having to process all the refunds.
I could be wrong, but then one has to ask why do they charge full price and sit on the funds for months? Seems odd, especially when states like UT only ding you if you draw. They are actually losing money by having to process all the refunds.

If I were to guess - and that's all it would be - the reason is, as others have suggested, charging full price reduces the numbers of people applying for preference points.

Since Colorado now charges $30-$40 for point-only apps, I'm not sure this benefits the state in any way. One would think they would want millions of point-only applicants.

But hey, we all know govt is slow, inefficient and wasteful. In my conversation with CPW yesterday regarding the check "I have preference points" check box it became clear that the person I talked to had no idea why the box was there and believed it served no purpose. It may have served a purpose back in the days when all apps were done by paper but those days are long gone.

Apparently no one has a calculator that works. Current money market type savings accounts are paying an annual interest rate that is around .0045 or so. Divide that by 6 to give you the 2 month float, and multiply that by the app money. I do not believe they are doing it, but if they were it is still nothing basically.

The postage they are paying is more than the interest on those funds. Plus paying a vendor to cut the check and mail is on top of that. "We've always done it this way" has never been more evident. But hey, hiring the Obamacare programmers to build the new website was brilliant.
Paying a vendor makes sense if/when the vendor can perform the task for less than a govt agency can in-house. My guess is, they can.

Holding onto people's money (hundreds of dollars worth) makes sense if the objective is to mitigate point creep by making sure that the only people who get points are those who are willing to part with hundreds of dollars for a few months.
As a vendor, that is what I have been doing for 26 years so don't disagree at all if the application requires cutting a check or most types of fulfillment. I just don't see how this one is required. But I imagine "Check the box if you have points" will be around another 30 years too:)

Taking peoples' money for points and not even having to issue tags is way preferable in my book to issuing thousands of doe tags in a state with declining herd numbers. Lot's of opinions, mine just revolves around cutting costs and increasing revenues.
I'm in for Deer, unit 53 3rd season.
Getting close I think, 8 NR points.
Submitted an application for an elk tag last night for a friend who doesn't do computers. We had no problems with the site--it actually seemed simpler than in past years.
Got my app in also.... 3rd season Deer, and early rifle bear. I will wait to see how the NM draw goes before I think about elk. Might pick up an OTC elk tag.
I wish CO would follow Arizona or Utah's model.

They should ditch all this "pay this, unless this, and we subtract this..." BS.

There should be a flat fee to apply if you want to earn preference points. And there should be a small flat fee per species. All of which in non-refundable.

Forcing people to pay full price for a license just to apply for a preference point is retarded. They just have to process the refund later anyway.

I thought the site worked A OK.

I applied for deer and elk points again. I'll be sitting on 8 for deer and 19 for elk after this year's draw.

Also applied for the long shot Bighorn tag, I'm at the 3 points max.
Damn, wish you were a res. Have 2 spots you could do damn well for elk and deer!!!
Originally Posted by VoiceMan
First time submitting application for Colorado, so I put in for deer. Not holding my breath on drawing, so also planning on an OTC elk tag. Limited on time, money and Colorado knowledge so easing into it til I learn more about how to do it properly.

Update: Also put in for a cow tag near the deadline. Trying to keep all options open. smile
Originally Posted by LoneWati
Damn, wish you were a res. Have 2 spots you could do damn well for elk and deer!!!

How so?
Wife and I applied yesterday and had no problems with the online application system. It took about 5 minutes each to complete. The pre fill system helps in this regard. As stated above it seems easier then the old system. IMO
I am letting the state borrow $889 dollars for a couple months
'sonora, might have a lope tag in your neck of the woods this fall.
We'll come on with it! My house is right here close to the unit so plan on staying here.
Let's go light up a buck then go eat BBQ.
Applied for unit 054 archery elk, heading out the last week of September. Should get the tag without issue, as we bought OTC before.

Done! I'll invite that douchebag from WY that screwed that guy on the camera deal so we can mock him when he doesn't show up grin
I don't think people know your size when talking smack on the net.
I don't think people know your size when talking smack on the net.

Probably best that way!!!! Surprise is always a good thing!!!
Originally Posted by KC

Applications for the Colorado draw have to be submitted in a few weeks. I don't like to procrastinate so always submit well before the deadline. Here's what I applied for:

I have 16 preference points for elk. That's not enough to get a tag in any of the premium units that I have been waiting for.
1st choice Elk - Preference point.
2nd choice Elk - 3rd season Cow tag in an undersubscribed unit. I'll probably get that one. It's also a unit where OTC Bull tags are valid, so I'll go into the field with a cow tag and a bull tag.

I have no preference points for deer.
1st choice Deer - 2nd season Buck tag in the same unit where I will be hunting elk. It was undersubscribed last year so I have a pretty good chance of getting that tag.

I have 12 preference points for pronghorns.
1st choice Pronghorns - Buck tag in a trophy unit that required minimum of 12 points last year. Might get that one.
2nd choice Pronghorns - Doe tag in a unit close to home, that required zero points last year.

I have 3 + 11 points for Mountain Goats.
1st choice Mountain Goat - Either sex tag in the same unit where I hunted goats on a special management hunt, ten years ago. No statistics available for goat points. So it's anybody's guess.

I think I actually have a chance of getting either a mountain goat tag or a pronghorn tag in a trophy unit. So I'm not going to apply in any other states this year.

What are you guys applying for?

KC

In for a preference point this year. Either-sex tag for next fall.
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Done! I'll invite that douchebag from WY that screwed that guy on the camera deal so we can mock him when he doesn't show up grin

You guys talking Nordy's? See ya' there...

Tanner
You'll be in AK. We'll be pigging out while you are swatting mosquitos. heh
© 24hourcampfire