Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 30338
If the weather cooperates, you'll only need a day up there.

That is about what I figured. If it wasn't for being require dot go to the Friday orientation, I would go the following week.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KC, don't forget about the hybrid draw. The odds suck, but at least you have a chance to draw. With a point first, you have 0 chance of drawing

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be hunting elk first season, and bucks second if the draw works out in my favor.

I've never hunted deer second season (for myself at least) so this will be new. After seeing lots of photos of guys in Montana and Wyoming killing high country bucks in October, I'm going to see if I can find deer near timberline or slightly below it if we don't get much snow in October. I'll get a bear tag for that season, too.

September hunting will be a no-go for the next few years for me which is a bummer, but I ain't complaining too much.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still haven't submitted my applications. Just can't figure out what I want to do for deer this year

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Same here, just can't decide which hunt to pull the trigger on!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The crowd chants 3rd season somewhere in the central mountains!

Tanner

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Boman
Saddlesore,
If you draw a moose I'd help you pack it out. Seems like too big of an opportunity to pass up. Im a good pack mule..Anyways good luck in the draw

Hell, I would too, and I'd pay good money just to see what a CO moose tag looks like, get my picture taken with it and everything. I'm pretty sure SS has better pack mules than us though.

"Here's your sign"

Took 10 points. 2 hours of scouting the evening before, 4 hours of hunting the next day. Ranch hand provided an ATV to haul him out to the truck. Didn't go to the orientation.

Moral is: Don't give up---You can draw this tag......and you don't need a packhorse. (Well...unless you count your BIL as a packhorse)

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
KC

I'm Similar to your applications

I have 8 preference points for elk. After 2014 Draw unless Hybird 201 EE Rifle comes through.
1st choice Elk - Hybird 201 EER - Preference point.
2nd choice Elk - 3rd season Cow tag in an under subscribed unit. I'll probably get that one. It's also a unit where OTC Bull tags are valid, so I'll go into the field with a cow tag and a bull tag.

I have 11 preference points for deer after 2014
1st choice Deer PP - 2nd season Buck tag in the same unit where I will be hunting elk. Haven't pulled a tag for a buck in unit for 4 plus years 0-1 to draw HOPE/Dream...Maybe left over for other season???...

I have 12 preference points for pronghorns. After this years draw. 1st choice Pronghorns PP 2014- Which unit are you trying to pull on pronghorn KC?

Last edited by badaboom; 03/25/14.

Lifetime NRA MEMBER
Honorable - Disabled Veteran USAF SGT E5
Tradition, Preservation, People, Improvement
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the horizon
Georgia, DC, Germany, Colorado, California, Alaska, South Dakota
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Apps are in. It reminds me of why I am still living in Colorado. Family apps:

1 - Desert Ram
3 - Rockies
1 - Mtn goat
1 - bear
4 - elk
4 - deer
1- antelope
4 combo hunting/fishing licenses
4 $10 habitat stamps

Grand total less than $2,000. Majority will of course be refunded but always fun waiting to see results. Good luck to you guys in the draw.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finally came to a decision on deer. I already have a pref point for deer so rather than apply for another my application was for a Unit 4 buck tag for 3rd Rifle. Didn't use my pref point as it shouldn't be needed. Decided not to apply for bear as I have 7 pref points and am not that enthused about hunting one.

The updated list:

Elk - OTC bull tag, as always. Will buy it later this year.

Elk - RFW cow tag for Snake River Ranch. I have a Pref Point so that should work.

Deer - Buck tag, Unit 4, 3rd season, didn't use my pref point.

Antelope - Preference Point. That will make 7.

Bear - No app.

Wyoming antelope - doe tag Unit 9. That should fly. May get a leftover if available.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
To not use your pref point, did you put in for another area as 1st choice?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why do they have that box that says, "Do you have preference points for this species?" or whatever it says? Agreed though, if CH put in for deer first choice and draws, that point is used. That said, not a point accumulator here:)

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
E-M-061-02-R I should draw. Don't want to wait years for more points to hunt a better season.

D-M-041-03-R

M-M-014-01-M

A-M-003-01-R I'm going to go to Wyo anyhow.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by plainview
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Boman
Saddlesore,
If you draw a moose I'd help you pack it out. Seems like too big of an opportunity to pass up. Im a good pack mule..Anyways good luck in the draw

Hell, I would too, and I'd pay good money just to see what a CO moose tag looks like, get my picture taken with it and everything. I'm pretty sure SS has better pack mules than us though.

"Here's your sign"

Took 10 points. 2 hours of scouting the evening before, 4 hours of hunting the next day. Ranch hand provided an ATV to haul him out to the truck. Didn't go to the orientation.

Moral is: Don't give up---You can draw this tag......and you don't need a packhorse. (Well...unless you count your BIL as a packhorse)

So that is what a Moose tag looks like!!!!! Awesome!!! Still waiting with 3-13 maybe before I have to use a track wheelchair!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
To not use your pref point, did you put in for another area as 1st choice?

Unit 4, 3rd rifle. I looked in the wrong column on that stats and saw some Choice 2 licenses were drawn, but later realized those all came form Land Owner apps. Only 111 of 195 General apps got tags so my chances are around 57%. Not a big deal as I'm not that keen on deer anyway. Most of it goes to jerky. If not selected I'll end up with another pref point.

To not use existing pref points all one has to do is not check the "I have Preference Points" box on the application.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why do they have that box that says, "Do you have preference points for this species?" or whatever it says? Agreed though, if CH put in for deer first choice and draws, that point is used. That said, not a point accumulator here:)

They have the box to allow you to use or not use accumulated points. If you don't check it your points are NOT used, even if you get your first choice.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

They have the box to allow you to use or not use accumulated points. If you don't check it your points are NOT used, even if you get your first choice.

If you draw your first choice hunt code, you use your preference points (See page 7 of the brochure, #3 under Preference Points).

The preference point check box just tells them you have preference points for the species so if for whatever reason they don't find any they double check.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

CH,

Not true, don't do that if you don't want to use your points on a first choice.

Last edited by exbiologist; 03/31/14.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What I don't like or understand is why I have to loan colorado the full price of a non resident elk tag when I'm only applying for a preference point !

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My wife and I just applied for our tags. Everything is in Moffat County. Some RFW others are open lands. We applied for Pronghorn in area 3 even though it is not so much of a choice area anymore but it keeps us in the same area for all our hunting where we are familiar.
During the late 70's 80's and 90's I hunted Pronghorn in area 3 and put several trophys on the wall. One is 17.5 inches with an inch of ivory at the tips. I use to have a land owner's permit so I drew every year but that is gone now. Land owner Roger Pilgram has 1000's of acres in area 3 and he used to let people hunt the Pronghorn until some SOB dug a blind into the face of one of his damns during archery season and now it is no hunting for anyone.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (Boarmaster123, 35, big_g270, 7mm_Loco, BlackHunter, blackhawk44, 8 invisible), 1,503 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,445
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.