Home
Posted By: RTSJ Hunt ideas for Youth/Mentor ? - 07/24/15
Not sure if this is the right place but here it is. Looking to take my kids on their first out of state hunt. Their ages are 10 and 12. They do have a few animals under their belt already so not exactly a green hunter but still young and need an easier not so physical hunt. My son Bryce(10) has already taken 4 bucks, 2 does and 4 spring gobblers. My daughter Riley(12) has taken a buck and 2 does. To get to the point im looking for a hunt that would be of a higher success rate and a fun hunt and relatively not break the bank while doing this. I'm a single blue collar dad and this is not an easy thing to afford but something I want to do as a family. Was thinking maybe a Tx hill country hunt for exotics or a cull buck hunt or a bear hunt(they would love this). Anyway looking for ideas or some good Outfitters that u guys could recommend. Would like a place that includes food and lodging so they can experience a good hunting camp atmosphere. Thank u in advance for any help or ideas.

Roy, Bryce and Riley

Pronghorn in WY. Might be too late for this year, but buy everyone a point and go next year. If you're in even a decent area they'll see a lot of them and probably have multiple shot opportunities. Can't help you with outfitters, but this would not be a hard one to plan and do it yourself.

Posted By: RTSJ Re: Hunt ideas for Youth/Mentor ? - 07/24/15
Pronghorn is an option in 2 yrs but they don't allow mentors. Bryce won't be 12 till 2017.

Roy
Buy points for you and your daughter starting this year. When he's old enough to put in they round the points. It'll open up a lot of units.
Posted By: efw Re: Hunt ideas for Youth/Mentor ? - 07/24/15
Originally Posted by pointer
Buy points for you and your daughter starting this year. When he's old enough to put in they round the points. It'll open up a lot of units.

+1!

Check out these threads for ideas. I wouldn't worry about outfitters/guides for pronghorn were I you. There is a lot to be said for the preparation necessary for a great DIY hunt! Of course I'm far from against guided stuff as you'll see:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...nchester_Ridge_2015-_feral_p#Post9515017

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9253796/1

Good luck & good work!
Colorado has reduced prices for youth elk tags. Most are for cows. What is going to hurt you is an outfitter price.You will pay for each of your youngsters and you.Even at $3K each that is in the $10K realm.

Wyoming antelope would be your best bet as you really don't need an outfitter for goats.
+1 for lopes. Great target rich hunt that is pretty easy physically.
I bet they'd have a ball shooting stuff down in Texas too. Might not be too late for this year if that's what you was thinking.
Buff in N.M.
Posted By: atse Re: Hunt ideas for Youth/Mentor ? - 07/27/15
Idaho offers a youth mentor hunting program. If you have a licence and tag, then your kids can buy a licence and deer tag for about $50. Elk tags would be more. I have my lifetime hunting licence in Idaho. Still have to pay out of state tag prices, but I am doing this with my boys. Great opportunity. Non res.deer tags are $300. Elk $450. It's not cheap, but the kids would then hunt for next to nothing.
RIGHT NOW you can buy damn near 'turkey shoot' level cow elk tags in NM.
This would be my first choice. You can drive out during christmas break and see some amazing country, learn a little bit about elk and have a couple of coolers full of damn fine meat to take back home.

Where are you located in SW pa? I'm from Ligonier.

-Jon
© 24hourcampfire