Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Over the last couple of years I've taken my oldest (12 yo) son Samuel on Western hunting trips while my youngest (10 yo) son Elijah has enjoyed shorter, closer trips, expressing no interest in hunting or shooting.

Until the past year or so!

He completed Hunter Ed this past fall, spent a little bit of time chasing tree rats with a .410 and he endured a very tough Michigan deer season logging quite a few hours without even seeing one deer. Not only did he not complain or use the "b" word (bored; a higher offense than an F-bomb in my vocabulary) but he really enjoyed the quiet time outside.

[Linked Image]

As a reward for his excellent attitude and to see if we can tip the scales in his favor a bit, we're leaving Friday at 1 pm for a ranch in Mountain Home, Tx where my hunting pard Tom (brntrout here) and I hunted in 2006

[Linked Image]

and again in 2008

[Linked Image]

The query I am hoping Elijah can call his first big game kill is feral hog, but we'll also be flinging lead at a hardened steel bison 500 yards off the front porch of the lodge.

Elijah has become a pretty good shot with the Savage 223 that I cobbled for him,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and I know he's looking forward to an opportunity to hone his skills at longer range. He'll have about 200 rounds with which to practice!

In addition to his 223 I'm bringing a newly cobbled 7-08, my 5.56 M4,

[Linked Image]

the 1911 I won in Whelenman's club raffle this summer, my 6-250 and my 257 AI. All will be used to dispatch pork.

My goal is to get Elijah his first big game animal, enjoy fellowship w/ my hunting partners Tom & Ricky who live far from me, and fling lots of lead with Elijah & Tom's 12 yo son Kyle. I am also extremely excited to finally meet face-to-face my friend Kenjs1 who I've gotten to know here. I always enjoy 'fire meetings! If I can stick a hog (the tastiest bullet testing medium God has made) with a 95 gr VLD from the 6-250 and/or a 90 gr GMX from the 257 AI so much the better!!

It should be interesting navigating the People's Republic of Illinois with such an assortment of guns & ammo, but the I'm figuring the Prius is good camo!

In the past we've journaled our trips in writing, but decided to try doing so here instead and will report each leg of our journey here; please keep us in your thoughts & prayers as we travel,

efw

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looks like an awesome trip. Enjoy the time with your son.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Sounds like a great plan for father and son. Looking forward to your updates and will share them with my boys.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quality time that a child would look back on, and can't help but to feel loved for that time shared with his father!

Congrats on a successful hunt!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a great trip. Any chance you'd adopt a third 68 year old son? As in incentive, I do have several bricks of 22 LR ammo.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/15/15.

1Minute
IC B2

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Today was a great day! Waking up to 30° after several weeks of lows in the single digits, I was happy not to need a coat. Imagine my joy of being in Missouri right now in the middle of the night and seeing temps in the mid 40s!

This being Elijah's first experience with a Long road trip, we've been doing it right. I picked him up from school early,

[Linked Image]

and we stopped for supplies.

[Linked Image]

Of course like any road trip we ran into some difficulties, with a big back up in Chicago. Fortunately that didn't last long, and we were on our way before too long wasting only an hour while gaining 10 miles.

Through our trip we enjoyed great conversation, with topics ranging from our favorite marvel superheroes and why Illinois sucks to the reliability of Scripture. We recently picked up soundtrack for guardians of the galaxy, and that's a great CD! George Jones, BB King, and Bob Dylan (all Elijah's choices) also made the play list.

Along 55 S. through Illinois, we saw more waterfall than I have seen in one place in many years! That flyway business is no joke, and in addition to tens of thousands of birds we saw several hunters in the fields. It looked like an exciting hunt!

Crossing into the west,

[Linked Image]

we just had to stop and get a picture of Elijah by the arch.

[Linked Image]

My initial thought on St. Louis was that it was a pretty cool city, which for me are two words that are typically oxymoronic, but then I realized it was the smell of a Ruth's Chris steakhouse nearby that was influencing my thoughts.

Finishing today's trip at a friends home near Springfield, I realize now what a gorgeous State Missouri is! I was very disappointed to drive across it in the dark. I look forward to seeing more tomorrow morning! I can only imagine what lies in those beautiful oak covered hills!

It was a long day (800 mi) and after St. Louis Elijah slept. Fortunately I had my Soundgarden Pandora station to keep me company! Stone Temple pilots, Soundgarden, audioslave, tool, Alice in chains, Red hot chili peppers, Temple of the dog, tool,and several others kept me awake and gave me good company!

Elijah and I are both looking forward to what tomorrow holds! You Southerners may chuckle, but I'm a big waffle house fan! We know where we're going for breakfast with our gracious hosts!

Thanks for reading we'll be back on the road first thing tomorrow morning finishing our trip to the San Antonio area!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looking good- and glad all is well. You will know when you hit Texas because it is where the water ends. Serious.

Temps in the 60's first half of the week.

Looking forward to your impression of the ranch and the hunt. You will dig the hill country and its folks.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great stuff.... good luck, look forward to further reports!

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Today was an absolutely incredible day for sight-seeing; one HUGE reason why I love road trippin' over airline travel!

We started out having breakfast w/ our kind hosts and good friends Kevin & Devon at a favorite breakfast joint of mine, Waffle House:

[Linked Image]

The drive down 44 through Joplin was INCREDIBLE; Missouri is simply gorgeous, and I am sad to say I was so focused on the road I didn't get pics! Suffice it to say we'll be taking Kevin's invite to return during deer season!

Likewise, Oklahoma was gorgeous with the red clay of Georgia, the rolling hardwood-covered hills of Missouri, and the aridness of Texas. I have to say I knew I was in an AWESOME city when I came across Tulsa's 99.5 Classic Country and heard George Jones, Alabama, and Randy Travis just like that! I can't remember the last time I heard ole possum on the radio! I may have to move there...

After several hours Elijah expressed a need for art supplies so we stopped and got him some paper, markers, and pencils. We also ran around in a little park where we too these pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The scrub oak & red dirt is quite pronounced there; I've heard Ok has great public land whitetail hunting and certainly believe it! What a great looking place to have an adventure!

With adequate supplies

[Linked Image]

we proceeded as long as we could before

[Linked Image]

And right about then something most unexpected... A pair of absolutely humungous bull elk bedded In a field outside Lawton, Ok. WOW!! That was Elijah's first wild elk sighting and pretty exciting for both of us!

Cont'd

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Elijah made great use of his art supplies

[Linked Image]

and when we hit Texas we had to get out

[Linked Image]

Can you tell he didn't feel like it??

Then, knowing water is in short supply here,

[Linked Image]

We had dinner at Dairy Queen and he exclaimed, "Finally I know what DQ stands for!" He enjoyed his ice cream!

[Linked Image]

We agreed that we love the equal footing Texans give their state flag compared to the U.S. We talked for a while about it, and he agreed the REAL patriot cares for his neighbor and community more than some group of bureaucrats thousands of miles away and a great country must start there.

I love how he thinks things through!

Finally we've arrived at Winchester Ridge, Mt Home Texas LATE. As we drove in the back way we saw an amazing abundance of whitetail deer and a blackbuck ram!

We started our drive at 740 am and ended here at 11:20 pm or so, hence this hurried entry before bed!

Tomorrow we hunt...

Thanks again for checking in,

efw

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good Luck!!

Looking forward to seeing more photos and further commentary on your hunt.

CT

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a good chance you are going to see some axis deer while down there. Glass some fields and openings, even near town(s) right before dusk. They move in herds, often large ones and walk in file.

Last edited by kenjs1; 01/19/15.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Today (Sunday) was much different than the last two. I love this ranch; we needn't go anywhere with all of our needs perfectly well taken care of. We brought lots of food to cook, so there is nothing to do but lounge around and wait for the next hunt! Fantastic!

Elijah was wiped out last night and wanted to sleep in and that we did. I have an internal alarm that typically wakes me up by around 6 at home (which is 5 am here) but I must have been toasted too as we didn't get up until approx 8 am.

Once up we set about to empty my car as we waited for our hunting partners who took off late yesterday afternoon from the Atlanta area. They arrived at about 9 am, and we promptly got their gear unloaded and started a breakfast of home grown eggs, grits, and chorizo sausage.

Next up we checked zero on our rifles. Kyle, my hunting pard's son, shoots a Marlin XS-7 243 and Joe, the ranch owner carries a Winchester FW in the same cartridge.

[Linked Image]

Joe, the ranch owner, suggested that I have Elijah shoot my 6-250 which I have loaded w/ 90 gr NBTs instead of the 223 w/ 65 gr Sierras. His experience is that the 243 is a substantially better killer than the 223 on hogs. For deer, he said, the 223 is fine but pigs have enough fat on em that they'll plug the hole and leave no blood trail.

I had Elijah shoot it and he was comfortable, and it was time to head out to blinds!

Now as a "Yankee" with a Prius you can imagine all the heck I got, but I noticed something goofy amongst the southerners here: in spite of sitting in box blinds, they all were decked out from head to toe in camo? My son and I had "normal" clothes on that are comfortable for the climate but not camo. We noticed this w/ 3 (presumed) Texans who came into DQ last night too. They were covered in some trendy camo w: high end labels all over (mostly under armor & scent lock) but were driving a truck w/ an elevated stand in the back? Now I recognize they may not have been hunting out of that elevated stand and so "need" the their camo, but it did stand out enough that my 10 yo said something in the car. When our hunting parts came out all decked out he elbowed me and smiled...

After all was said and done, my buddy's son Kyle got to cull a buck

[Linked Image]

Elijah looked over a bunch of bucks but saw no culls; the HUGE boar we saw got spooked before he could shoot. Even so, all the animals made him hopeful.

[Linked Image]

He was positive and the ranch owner Joe was great with giving him tips to increase success.

Like most boys he listens to others easier than to his dad wink .

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow what an awesome day today!

Early this morning Elijah was up and at em. He'd really enjoyed having Joe, the ranch owner and good friend of my hunting partner Tom, coach him last night in spite of losing an opportunity at a dandy boar. Joe offered to sit with him and Elijah enthusiastically accepted the offer promising to be ready when Joe needed him.

They dropped me first and I had whitetail all around me

[Linked Image]

but I couldn't but pray that Elijah could shoot something! I heard some distant pops (which is how that 6-250 sounds) but couldn't know if it was him. At 7:30 I looked around and noticed a single boar headed somewhere in a bit of a hurry. I contemplated waiting but decided I'd better shoot while I could see him; he was maybe 75 yds out.

Kenjs1 here sent me a wonderful M8 6x42mm w/ euro #4 a couple of years ago, and I really like it for general hunting! I put a (3300 fps) 90 gr GMX from my 257 AI into the sweet spot where the spine meets the skull of this nice boar:

[Linked Image]

I cycled the bolt quickly for a second shot but none was necessary; he kicked a few seconds and was still.

Meanwhile at another location Joe was showing Elijah how to drop pigs with one well-placed (3000 fps) 90 gr NBT from my 6-250. Within just a few minutes Elijah dropped the hammer on TWO boars!! This one is going to be a Euro-mount along with mine; its tusks were needle sharp and when he hit the ground his tongue got stuck on his left:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They're both fine pigs and as we were talking later this afternoon I remembered that I'd never in my life shot two head of big game in one day so he had that over me!

We did a lot of photos, gutting and skinning in the late morning. Another in our party shot a boar and I had to have Elijah pose with a truck bed 'o pork!!

[Linked Image]

And here we are together with our trophies, the left two of which will be our family's first mounts of any kind:

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Congratulations to you both!

Elijah, Well Done on a pair of nice porkers. Really like the cutters on the hog in the middle. Where can I get one of those skull and crossbone shirts for the upcoming campfire hog hunt?

I believe you are right to have them mounted.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Awesome!

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
With hogs gutted, skinned, and cooling we enjoyed dinner and some peace and quiet. Joe had decided to take us to another ranch of his where the hogs were "more predictable" to quote him. In addition to the hogs there'd be a super abundance of exotics including aoudad, axis, blackbuck, Sitka, and fallow.

As usual Elijah and I had a great afternoon together relaxing and watching the huge variety of animals come through. We even got to see a roadrunner which was a real treat for us as my older son and I have recently gotten into birdwatching.

[Linked Image]

A couple hours into our air a few hogs came on from stage left. The other animals don't care at all for hogs and got fidgety. I told Elijah to pick the one to the left and on "3" we'd I'd shoot the one on the right and he the left. We'd discussed the fact that he now had shot 2 heads of big game in one day which I'd never done, and Elijah assured me he didn't care to shoot but wanted me to so we could both remember the day we got 2 heads together. As the group of young boars came down the trail I wanted to shoot one length-wise to see if I could catch my 90 gr GMX and I did just that at approx 100 yds:

[Linked Image]

Here is my "Yankee a$$" (in plain clothes; not camo) with my prize:

[Linked Image]

As we enjoyed the sunset together and decided we'd done enough killing for this leg of our trip Elijah really started chatting about all we'd seen and done and beaming in a way he does when he's feeling great. He beat the heck out of a prickly pear as we made our way to the blind

[Linked Image]

and talked my ear off once seated, smiling and exuding joy as only Elijah does

[Linked Image]

We enjoyed ourselves the rest of the evening just relaxing and chatting and playing w/ my camera. Here is a pic of our cartridges (6-250 & 90 gr NBT next to 257 AI & 90 gr GMX) on the ledge of the blind

[Linked Image]

Kirk, a friend of my hunting partner's, shot a nice boar and an aoudad. We had pieces of our various animals on the grill for dinner and it was all wonderful. The food fellowship country and prey are all amazing. I can't possibly express how grateful I am to have a station in life that affords me such luxuries as trips like these. My wife supports me wholeheartedly, and I have some great friends like Tom, Joe, Kevin, Devon, and Kenjs1 who are all hosting us along different legs of our journey!

Today we'll cut up pigs and help butcher our cooler full of critters,walk around in the warmth with binos & a bird book and relax before heading up to Moran tomorrow to meet Ken!

Thanks be to God for a crazy cool life, His gorgeous creation, and His Son without whom all this stuff would be meaningless!

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Jealous as hell! Awesome trip!

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Elijah and I relaxed, slept in, enjoyed breakfast on the porch watching a an 11 pt whitetail w/ drop tine.

While we ate and enjoyed the lovely sun and variety of birds,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

my friend Ricky shot a lovely aoudad ram w/ a single shot from his 30-06:

[Linked Image]

Today the agenda is nothing but cuttin!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, that is a hard act to follow. Feelin' a lot of pressure here.

mjbgalt- hey....isn't there salt peter in Varget? blush

. Confucius
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (3333vl, 470Evans, 257 mag, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 1,951 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,497
Posts18,472,188
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.