Home
Posted By: BobinNH Educate the Uninformed - 12/09/09
You guys with African experience,please forgive the stupid question from one who has never shot a Cape Buffalo....but, I hear and read the advise about putting a bullet up the nose of a Cape Buffalo that is very close...the objective being to drive the bullet to the brain.

My question is does it take a solid to pull this off, or are there soft points that will do it reliably?

I can imagine the question would not seem so dumb if you're in the situation....thought I would ask those who might know the answer.

Thanks!
Posted By: Shakari Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/09/09
Forget the nose as it's too simplistic and reality is that it depends on the angle of the head..... aim to put the bullet into the brain pan, no matter what the angle of the head.

A good soft will do it, but I'd strongly suggest a solid because you can't afford a bullet failure at that point!

You can also wait till it drops it's head to hook you and pop one into the spine....... but be ready to step to the side as you do it.

Buff are a lotta fun to hunt!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/09/09
Shakari: Yes the angle of the head is really important I would think.I understand the bullet issue which is why I asked!I can imagine that the head of a buff can be pretty rough on an expanding bullet.... Yes, it makes sense to angle into the brain somehow....

I just was not sure how much penetration it takes to reach the brain on that sort of shot.

Thanks for answering!
Posted By: medicman Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/09/09
Bob my only experience is with big bears, and Shakari's advice holds true. The spine shot is higher percentage on a bear as their skulls deflect bullets if angled when the bullet impacts. I have to expect the skull of a buff is pretty heavy duty too.

The only time I was hurt by a bear is on a spine shot. His fight was out but forward momentum took the legs out from under me. Is that the same with a buff?

It do get the blood going though and I really want to book and hunt buff in the next couple of years.

In buff is the charge primarily because of wounding, or are thet just ornery of disposition?

Randy

By the way would a flat nose solid act to better penetrate an angulated entry on the skull? I would think that the edge of the meplat would shear bone. I have no experience, just therorising, which at the point of charge is not the time to test a theory.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/10/09
Bob, the buffalo would have to have his neck craned up and you on eye level for a shot up the nose to reach the brain, and Id go with what Shakari said...use a solid at that point....
If you get to look at a buffalo skull, it seems the most logical place to get a bullet into the brain is to shoot it as close to the boss as you can possibly get...cause it does cover the brain pan like a helmet...
My experience is limited compared to some of these guys, but I did like the solid concept. When you are thinking about times like this shot placement, penetration and bullet performance must all be known entities...

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/10/09
Originally Posted by ingwe
.... When you are thinking about times like this shot placement, penetration and bullet performance must all be known entities...

Ingwe

Ingwe: That is precisely why I asked the question....I have not hunted them but intend to...I don't want to be guessing about what it takes to penetrate that much bone if the chance is there.I do understand they would have to be in a "just so" position for that up-the-nose shot. I have little experience head shooting animals.
Posted By: Shakari Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/10/09
Actually a Buff skull isn't particularly dense but of course, the boss is and you need to have the ability to punch through that as well in case of a slightly misplaced shot.

FWIW, I use the GS Custom flat nosed mono solid in my .500 Jeffery and it usually penetrates a Buff from stem to stern.

Of course, ideally, one would get the first shot and the follow up right in the first place and thereby avoid a rush!

The shot that probably causes more problems of all (from my experience) is the frontal Chest shot with a minimal calibre such as the 375 H&H. I've seen several shot like that and the bullet seems to skid round on the outside of the ribs. Funnily enough on every occasion, the bullets have been the TBBC which incidentally, I hate with a vengence!

I've got a clip of film (that incidentally won't copy etc for some reason) where I was training my tracker to deal with clients...... we got up on a buff and the tracker set the punter up perfectly for the shot. The buff took the bullet like it hit dead right and you can even see a puff of dust that looks bang on....... we then followed the bloody thing for 3 days but never found it! - Again a TBBC from a 375 H&H.
Shikari: In your experience what bullets do well from a 375 on a frontal chest shot?
I'd say it's a marginal calibre for that shot with any bullet but the best bullet for that shot/calibre is the GS Custom flat nosed mono solid...... and the worst is the TBBC.

I've also had piss poor performmance with the Rhino bullet. I appreciate a lot of people like the Rhino but I don't.
Here's an interesting one for you. It's not a frontal chest shot but is interesting nevertheless.

The client pulled his shot and missed the Buff he was aiming (20yards) at by a mile and dropped this other one by the shot going straight into the earhole and dropped him like a sack of coal!

I guess it just wasn't that animal's day huh!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Shikari: In your experience what bullets do well from a 375 on a frontal chest shot?

Bob, mine is a sample of only one so take it FWIW...but a 300 Gr. Swift A Frame.

+1 on the monolithic solids...Barnes banded is a good one....

Ingwe
Ingwe: Thanks, I have heard good things about the 300 Swift,and the 270 TSX.
Bob, Shikari is also right in mentioning the frontal chest shot, and it would probably do well to listen to him...the frontal shot is often the one provided the visiting sport.
( Because the buffalo know something is up, but don't know what, so they turn to face it..)
He also has a point with the flat meplat on a solid....seems to aid in more " straight line" performance..
FWIW ( again) I went with the old standby, first shot a soft, solids thereafter...

Ingwe
Posted By: hatari Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/10/09
I took a buff in Zambia on a cull with an 8mm 200 grain Nosler Partition just about an inch and a 1/2 below the boss. The bullet penetrated through the skull and a foot down the neck. From that experience, I have no doubt that a SP up the snout will do the job, but there is no question a solid would be better.
Posted By: test1328 Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/10/09
Bob,
When I went, I was using the .416 Rem Mag and 400gr. Swift A-frames for softs and the 370gr (or 380gr, I can't remember) North Fork Flat Point solids. The only buff I shot was with the solid, at the PH's request and it did the job just fine. Fortunately, it wasn't a frontal brain shot! Both of those bullets seem to have a fine reputation for killing Buff. The PH I hunted with was very happy to hear I had A-frames as opposed to Barnes TSX, although as we know, many PH's think the TSX is the be all, end all. Just different experiences and preferences. The best advice, I think, is when you know who your PH will be, see what he prefers and follow his advice if you can on bullet selection. That way, he'll have confidence in what you're using and there won't be any bitching about your bullet not being up to the task.

Test
Posted By: Snipebander Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/10/09
Shakair:

What bullet is TBBC?
Test: Good advice! Discussing bullets is like discussing politics and religion smile

doc: I think Shikari is discussing Trophy Bonded Bear Claws(TBBC).
Posted By: Shakari Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/11/09
Yes, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Sorry for not making myself clear!
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/11/09
May I ask what did they, the Throphy Bonded Bullets, do or fail to do that displeased you ? In other words, how did they fail ? On what game using what catriages ? Thanks in advance. E
Posted By: Shakari Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/12/09
I guess I should preface this by saying my comments are based on my own personal experiences and others may have had different experiences and therefore formed different opinions but FWIW:

I've seen a lot of bullet failures over the years but the bullet I've seen fail most consistenly is the TBBC solid and most often in the .375 H&H and I most certainly don't think it's anything to do with the calibre itself.

I've seen 'em fail in a variety of ways but the most worrying one to me was a few years ago when a client had a completely open shot at an eland at a range of about 100 yards, (I can't remember exactly). Some might argue that the bulllet didn't fail because it killed the eland, but when we opened it up, the bullet had gone in, (if I remember correctly) just clipping a rib, through the heart and had stopped well before the other side and when we found the bullet, it was literally as bent as a banana....... Remember, that's a solid from a clear shot from a .375 H&H.

Now consider what would have happened if that shot had been a frontal brain shot at an Elephant from 15 yards?.... or even worse, at a frontal brain shot on a charging Elephant at 15 yards?

I've also seen similar failures with the same bullet type/calibre on side on chest shots on Buffalo and other animals.

Frontal chest shots on Buff with any calibre below about 416 can be a problem because the shot can sometimes skid around the outside of the ribs. You also have the issue of that big dewlap of fat they have in front and if you watch a video on slo-mo of that kind of shot, you can often see a shock wave of energy ripple round the dewlap and often see the animal rear up as he takes the shot...... that shockwave etc equates to lost energy and lost penetration. Add those factors to a less than perfect bullet and I hope you'll see my point.

Ingwe mentioned Swift A Frames and I have to say, I really like those. They're one of the very few bullets that seem to do everything really well. I've had clients shoot everything from Leopards to Buff with those and they just WORK brilliantly!

Here's some examples of what I think good, recovered bullets should look like. All are from my .500 Jeffery.

The one on the left is a Woodleigh SP that was used as a coup de grace shot on a paralysed Buffalo. I ran up behind it and whacked it at point blank range through the spine, down through the heart and it was either recovered from the sand beneath the animal or just under the skin..... can't remember which. These bullets are also fantastic on cats, although on doesn't usually recover them as they pass through.

The next two are both GS Custom mono flat nosed solids. The middle one was a texas heart shot from slightly above on a previously wounded Buff. The bullet broke the spine right at the back of the animal, penetrated the entire length and was recovered under the skin at the dewlap. When the animal took the shot, it took him off his feet, spun him 180 degrees and he went down like a sack of the smelly brown stuff.

The bullet on the right was almost a carbon copy of the centre bullet but didn't touch the spine.

[Linked Image]

Probably the most interesting penetration shot I've ever seen could also be considered a technical bullet failure was with my .404 and a Rhino soft. I'd had problems with these bullet that I won't bore you with here as it's not really relevent.

The hunter took the Texas heart shot on a Running Buffalo and the soft went in the arse, travelled the entire rength of the animal, including the outstretched neck of the running Buff and came out neatly between the nostrils. The exit hole was the same size as the entrance hole....... and that from a soft!
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/12/09
Thank you for posting this. I thought you were refering to the TBBC soft point. Since I've had excellent performance with them, I was surprised to see your comments.
I'll keep in mind that this is regards to the solid version of them. E
Posted By: Shakari Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/12/09
I'm not a great fan of the soft either I'm afraid. I haven't seen the softs fail as often as the solids but I have seen more than a few fail.

I think both are overpriced and I would guess have poor quality control rather than a particularly bad design..... which would explain why some fail and some don't.
Would add a small experience on 2 Cape buffalo with Swift AF 400 grain .423" SPs - MV ~2300. One shot on a wounded going-away bull at 200 yards into the spine immediately below the tail that dropped him, bullet not recovered. The other 2 frontal chest shots at ~65 yards on another bull. Spun in place after the first (through the heart) immediate follow up shot just to the right of centerline dropped him right there. Neither AF SP recovered, but both traveled straightline through the chest completely and into the belly. The bullet on the right went through the liver. Small sample but they seem to work.
Posted By: Eremicus Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/13/09
Hadn't heard that about the soft points.
I'm sort of interested in them as the tactical/police shooters have found they stay on course through angled window glass better than any other factory load. Probably because their weight is concentrated in the nose. Might be helpful to a guy that hits brush from time to time in spite of all efforts to avoid that.
I really agree on the cost. Particularly as components.
The other thing I don't like about them is their accuracy in factory ammo. I've got a .308 sporter that won't shoot any better tahn 2 1/4-2 1/2 inches at 100 yds with them. The same rifle shoots almost anything under half that and half of my loads into under an inch. The same is true, i understand with the tactical style rifles. Double the group sizes.
Again, thanks for your time. E
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/13/09
This past year a hunter used a 375HH with 270 swift Aframes to shoot a Kudu bull. It was quartering away and not all that far, maybe 75 yards.

At the shot the bull's hind quarters dropped but his front legs were still up. I instantly assumed a spine hit. But before that thought was complete the bull was up and gone!

When we went to the site along the way, one of the trackers told me he saw a branch fall at the shot. We went to take a look and saw that it was about the diameter of a pencil clearly broken from the bullet, and dangling by the connective bark.

We followed and tracked that bull for a long time and eventually caught up and finished him off. The first bullet that hit the branch left a hole in the hind quarter exactly the size and oddly enough almost the exact shape of the bullet that hit sideways.

There are a lot of variables in this whole "brush" non-sense. Hit straight on through something tough and I believe that the bullets will continue on pretty good. hit anything of substance at an angle and I believe your gonna deflect that bullet like a stone skips off the surface of a calm body of water.

As I said at the academy we ran tests on this with all sorts of firearms and it was amazing to see just how much deflection was possible. Through grass, not much issue, through brush a different story. Then the big question is what is the definition of Brush? How much and how heavy, how deeply must the bullet go through or what thickness of bush? That is the real question? a clump of a few twigs 1 foot wide is not the same as "hard to see through for 7 feet with a few hard wood branches thrown in for good measure!"

That definition is really where the debate sits.
Posted By: Shakari Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/13/09
JJ

That's exactly the point I was trying to make in my earlier post.... there's just so many variables which is why on should never say never and never say always.
When a buffalo charges it mostly depends on the distance your shooting IMO or the charge itself..

By this I mean at 50 or so yards a buff charge is comiing with his nose pointed SOMETIMES, and that is the instance you may want to stick one on the hair line above the snoot, a better option IMO is put one high in his chest if your shooting a 40 cal or larger, and you will probably also spine him if your lucky, its a good shot to take..

But I have seen buffalo charge, usually at closer than 30 yards and the head is waving back and fourth and up and down, its hooking the air and it's damn hard to stick one in his brain adn its disconcerting also, but it can be done easily enough if your cool and a good practiced shot....

You can wait until he gets to you as he will duck his head and you can shoot him down through the top of the head if your a cool customer and totally confident in your ability and have terminal cancer so if it doesn't work your OK with that! smile All kidding aside, this may be your only option in rare cases, so its nice to know.

If I had to pick one bullet to shoot buffalo it woudl without a doubt be a North Fork, cup point, it is the best of both worlds. My seond choice, contrary to the norm, would be a GS Customs FLat Nose Solid..both have worked so well for me that I would be confident with either..

I like softs but only if backed up with solids. Softs are for broadside shots where they work very well indeed.

Posted By: JJHACK Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/13/09
Or just load up the appropriate weight of a TSX and you have the best solution for any situation
Posted By: Vagabond Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/14/09

JJHACK:

So if you could have only one bullet "model"...
Would you pick the TSX? In theory of course....

You're not saying instead of a solid, are you?
I know they have a reputation as tough...
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/14/09
Yep, for everything now. I don't see the advantage to the mixed loads in the magazine any longer. The TSX can handle the whole show now. The 450 TSX from my lott shot through everything I hit with it. I recovered two from Buffalo out of probably 30 shot. I recovered only one from White Rhino and shot into a dozen. This with the 458 Lott and the 375HH.
Posted By: Vagabond Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/14/09
Thanks. It does make it simple doesn't it?

I guess it works out as a solid with petals...

Funny, but the folks I have talked to who have used them can't say enough good about them.
At the shot, a buffalo turns and goes away from you, I have seen many monolithics fail to penetrate through the wet stomach grasses..Saeed has displayed many monolithic bullets that don't look so good to me. I have seen him kill probably 60 buffalo with BarnesX and his own Monolithics..Saeed is an excellent shot, and was a source of information as he is the ultimate bullet digger..Some of those bullets made it and some did not, but that could apply to any bullet short of a solid IMO.

Admittedly I am opinnionated when it comes to DG bullets and DG calibers, but I only state my case and don't require anyone to accept my opine...I seriously doubt that anyone can hunt as much as I have and not become opinnionated.
Posted By: BigBearguy Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/15/09
JJ,
I share your enthusiasm for the TSX. I have long thought that it would make perfect sense to use it and not bother about a solid. My question is would you go a bit lighter and faster or stay with a more conventional bullet weight on buff. I am thinking about using my 9.3x62, so that would mean the use of a 250 vrs 286. After putting a 225gr 338WM stem to stern through a 1000kg Eland I think that the 250 would do the job. All comments will be appreciated.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/15/09
At this point I think the additional 300fps of the 270gr TSX in the 375HH trumps the 30 grains of weight by using the 300gr. I felt this for a couple years and then saw a post on another hunting site where the writer quoted somebody at barnes that said Barnes is now suggesting that the 270 is a better option in the 375HH for buffalo.

I also very much liked the 450grain bullet at 2250 out of my 458 Lott. It's stunning impacts were much more impressive then the 500 solids. The 450 grain Aframes would just knock things down, but they did not have anywhere near the penetration that the TSX had
Posted By: ingwe Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/15/09
JJHack..OK...a little speculation for you ( or you might have actually seen it done...) I have not used a TSX on Buffalo, but would the 270 gr .375 possibly also be better because it has a better chance of staying in the Buffalo...or is over penetration even an issue with TSXs..270 or 300 grainers???
Thinking here of what other buffalo may be standing behind the target animal in a herd situation... is it a consideration?

Ingwe
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/15/09
When shoot through is a possible problem to hit other buffalo I don't even want the shot with a soft. They are too expensive to make a mistake with.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/15/09
Gotcha...with my limited experience...I never had to deal with a shoot thru...

Ingwe
My problem with the monolithics is by the very fact that the expand, an a bullet expanding slows down. A monolithic will not penetrate like a solid under any conditions and I have seen many monolitics get lost in the wet heavy stomach contents of buffalo. not all of them but some of them, and thats some to many for me..It is the going away shot that stops most of them..Just my opoine, based on what I have observed and the fact that I am a bloody bullet digger of the highest order, I get in there amonst the blood and gore..I recall that Saeed of AR fame collected about 30 or more bullets every year for the 3 years he hunted with me, we did a lot of digging my friends and all were monolithics as Saeed would use nothing else..The last few years he has been making his own. He displayed on AR about 50 to a 100? of them..an interesting look see, and an eye openner.

I am sure that it will always be a point of intelligent conversation between those that have seen the elephant.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/20/09
I've always felt the TBBC was as good as any bullet, especially the A frame. Heck it's a bonded core Aframe in the front and a solid copper "TSX" base. The problems came from not being available to handloaders.

Had they been available to handloaders imagine the popularity!
Posted By: Shakari Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/21/09
I've just been sent this pic of yet another TBBC failure from a friend and fellow PH of mine. The bullets were from his client's rifle.

Both bullets are 375 TBBC solids recovered from an elephant and as you can see, one held together and the other shattered to hell.

Exactly the reason I detest the bloody things!

[Linked Image]

I guess they might be OK to use as fishing weights though!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/21/09
Shikari: That doesn't look very good! eek

No wonder people worry about bullets......that could get a guy in trouble.

Shikari/Ray:So,what is the most reliable 375 solid?
The best one I've encountered by a mile and the one I use is the GS Custom flat nosed monolithic solid.
( http://gscustom.co.za/ )

Northfork also make a similar bullet.
Shikari: Thank you.
Always a pleasure. grin
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/21/09
I've never had the pleasure.........or displeasure to see a TBBC solid. Everyone I've ever had in camp was a bonded soft point design. The bonded lead front half and the solid copper back half.

What is/was inside that TBBC "solid" that looks like jacket material. How solid can it be if it's not one piece? Speaking just for myself, If I'm gonna use a solid I don't want it to have a jacket and a core. I think those are called FMJ's not solids?
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I've never had the pleasure.........or displeasure to see a TBBC solid. Everyone I've ever had in camp was a bonded soft point design. The bonded lead front half and the solid copper back half.

What is/was inside that TBBC "solid" that looks like jacket material. How solid can it be if it's not one piece? Speaking just for myself, If I'm gonna use a solid I don't want it to have a jacket and a core. I think those are called FMJ's not solids?

I guess the standard of PH school ain't what it was mate! grin

There are two types of solids. Jacketed and mono metal. A jacketed solid like the TBBC is a hard jacket over a softer core. In the case of the TBBC the two metals are supposed to be bonded together, hence the word bonded in the title. It's not uncommon for jacketed bullets to fishtail whereas fishtailing is highly unlikely in a mono metal bullet

Mono metal bullets are made of one solid piece of metal, hence the name mono metal as in the name GS Custom flat nosed mono metal. These bullets are sometimes called monolithic solids which means solid or of one piece.

The GS Custom flat nosed solid is especially good not only because of it's construction but also because the bands make for less barrel wear.
Shikari: Those GS Custom 270 gr flatnose bullets (solids I assume)can be started at 2800+ fps from the Holland round.Any impressions on how they seem to work on the larger stuff,ie Cape buffalo?

These bullets seem to follow the NF formula that the faster they go, the better they work...wonder if that has squared with your experience?

The 200 and 260 gr HV bullet in the 375 also seems to have distinct possibilities for plains game and soft-skinned stuff.Impressions?
Thanks much;this is an interesting line up of bullets.
Bob,

You really need to talk to Gerard at GSC to get advice on loads but I know he'll be happy to give you any info you need. They'll work brilliantly on everything and anything that walks the earth if you put it in the right place.

I've been using their FNMS (flat nosed monolithic solid) for some years in my 500 & now also in my 404 and love 'em to bits.... I reckon they give at least 20% more (straight line) penetration than any other mono solid I've ever used..... and FWIW, I'd never use any FMJ solid as I've seen most of 'em fail from time to time.

Hope that helps.
Shikari: It certainly does,and thanks once again.
Bob,
I have shot around maybe 20 to 30 buffalo with the GS customs flat nose solid. I have shot a lot of dead buffalo with the GS Customs bullets for recovery purposes also. I have used that bullet in the .375,458 Lott, 404 and 416 Rem. for many years now. Pass throughs are the rule and full lenthwise penetration can be expected..

I also have used the GS Customs high vel hollow points, and they have always performed to perfection for me..Gerard is a good friend and the best news is his daughter who is actually now the president of the company so to speak is getting married and will be moving to the US and the bullets will be distributed here by her and her new husband. Gerared will be making the bullets in RSA as usual..

I have used the flat nose solid on Zebra, Impala, and whatnot and had excellent results on such game with a minamum of meat loss. The flat nose adds another deminsion of killing effect over the old round nose solid..The smaller animal kills are not spectacular with a flat nose solid as one would expect, but they are very effective, leave a blood trail and the animal don't make many tracks..The flat nose leaves a hole that does not close up like a RN solid dose. I have also observed that the hair for about an inch round the entrance hole is shaved by the cutting shoulder on the flat nose solid bullet, this seems to have some effect on the amount of blood that hits the ground as opposed to being mopped up by thick haired animals..At least that is my therory.

For several years I pushed for Barnes, ITTD, and several others to produce a flat nose solid, but to no avail..the said no need for such and that it wouldn't sell..I felt it would have the same effect as the Keith simi wadcutter had on the killing power of a pistol..Nobody would even give it a thought..then GS Customs came on the scene and they worked. I had some long conversations with Northfork and he began doing his thing and he came out with a simular bullet and it worked well indeed..Barnes recently sliced a bit of the tip off his monolithic solid and called it a flatnose, but it is a bastard child, better but no cigar IMO..

I have come to the conclusion that the best solids for Buffalo, or hippo are the flat nose solids from GS Customs and Northfork.

For elephant the GS customs is a better bullet than the Northfork.

For buffalo my favorite bullet is a chamber and magazine full of the Northfork Cup Points or the GS Customs HPs, School is still out on that one, it's a tie.

I like other bullets, but these are my favorite.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/22/09
Ray, thanks for the info and your experiences with these GS bullets;seems they get great endorsement from experienced folks on here.I am going to get some in 375 and 270,and have a run with them.Have not been to Africa yet,but plan to go and want to be sure I am using the right gear.

Thanks once again!
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/22/09
"I have come to the conclusion that the best solids for Buffalo, or hippo are the flat nose solids from GS Customs and Northfork.

For elephant the GS customs is a better bullet than the Northfork."

Ray,

What causes you to think that the GS bullets are better on elephant? I have never used GS but they look just like North forks. I think I would prefer North Forks, if GS were available here, because North Fork doesn't put moly goup on their bullets.
Posted By: Gerard Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/23/09
Some thoughts on bullet coating.

Please do not make the mistake of comparing the GSC coating to that of moly (moly goup, as you call it) that is done with home moly kits. The GSC coating is part moly and part something else. It is undeniably superior to straight moly coating. It has these advantages:

1. GSC coated bullets require no change from your normal cleaning system. Just clean as you have always cleaned the rifle.
2. GSC coated bullets can be used interchangably with uncoated bullets and one will not affect how the other works or shoots.
3. The rifle barrel is afforded better protection in the throat area compared to uncoated bullets.
4. The barrel runs cooler than with uncoated bullets.
5. Copper oxide cannot form on bullets that have been stored for extended periods. More or less oxide will change the coefficient of friction and increase group dispersion.

We have been supplying GSC coated bullets since 1997 and there has not been a single instance where a customer has used GSC coated bullets and asked for uncoated after that.

As an aside, consider that GSC FN bullets preceded NF FP bullets (in the current design configuration) into the market by several years. It would then be correct to say that NF FP bullets look like GSC FN bullets because GSC are the originals. whistle
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/23/09
Gerard,

Thanks for clearing that up. I assume also that the coating does not come off on one's fingers, as happens with home moly kits that some of us target shooters have used with match bullets, or that it does not rub off on the case neck when handloading the bullets.
Posted By: wildone Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/24/09
To all of you that have BTDT I see you all talking about the 270 gr TSX a lot , which is good because that is what I shoot at the moment out of my 375 H&H . However I notice some talk on solids , does anyone have experience with Barnes Banded Solids . They are NOT the same as the TSX they are flat nose and flat based design. Just asking here I have no experience with the Barnes banded solids and am asking ? I shoot regular TSX's in everything I own.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/24/09
Barnes Banded Solids are a helluva good design IMO, and really easy to get to shoot..

That being said...Ive never sunk one in a critter, so we gotta wait for guys who ghave BTDT since they came out....

Ingwe
Posted By: Gerard Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/25/09
IndyCA35,
If you try hard, you can rub off some of the coating. By way of example, I was dealing with another subject and seated a 450gr FN in a 458WM case and then pulled it with a kinetic puller. The pulled bullet is on the right and a new one on the left.

[Linked Image]
However I notice some talk on solids, does anyone have experience with Barnes Banded Solids.

FWIW - Not in .375", but I developed a load earlier this year with the.423" Barnes Banded Solid intended for elephant - 400 grain bullet at a bit over 2300 fps in a 404 Ruger. It's as accurate as the comparable TSX in my rifle and didn't require fancy load development. It does shoot about 4 MOA away from the TSX in my rifle with comparable loads, so it required a minor scope adjustment when I switched loads.

Didn't shoot an elephant with the Banded Solid, but did shoot a kudu at much longer range than I intended for these Solids - target of opportunity. It caused lethal damage. I suspect if the shot had been closer and I'd done a better job in placing the bullet the Banded Solid would have still worked very well.
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Educate the Uninformed - 12/25/09
I recently killed a tuskless with a 300 gr Banded Solid from a 375 H&H. Shot low on a frontal brain. The ele was knocked off her feet, but got up and moved off about 200 yards where I finished her off with a brain shot. The initial bullet penetrated to at least the heart/lung area. There was enough blood for me to track her and I can't follow railroad tracks! It was the last day of my hunt and do not know if or where the bullet was finally found.
Indy,
I prefer the GS Custom flat nose over the Northfork flat nose because the GS Customs maintains its shape better than the Northfork, it is a bit harder.

All in all there is not better expanding bullet than the GS Customs bullets IMO..A few as good, sure, but none any better...but GS absolutly owns the solid market IMO....

Posted By: Gerard Re: Educate the Uninformed - 01/23/10
Hi Ray,
The last month has been a hectic time for us but Gina is in the USA now. 260-715-5078 email is [email protected]

She and Anthony are driving up from the Shot Show today. I must say: Wish I was there!
© 24hourcampfire