Home
With the advent of laser RF's I find it is very easy to record distances shots were made.......

My closest was 1 yard, after being charged by a wounded and enraged steenbok! grin

My longest shot was 432 yards on a Klipspringer; closely followed by a Gemsbok at 420+.......

Here is the Gemsbok...........and the steenbok is visible in the middle left of the pic as well.

[Linked Image]

A better shot of the "man killer" laugh

[Linked Image]
Good one Blair!

Longest was a Gemsbok...250 yds

Shortest was a jackal...15 feet. ( theres a story there...)

grin
Ingwe

Oops I forgot the most important-and shortest one...
Leopard...with the muzzle pressed against its head... eek
( another story there...)
Longest Gemsbok 500yd

Shortest |Gemsbok 25 yd (to finish it off)

Randy
Originally Posted by ingwe
Good one Blair!

Longest was a Gemsbok...250 yds

Shortest was a jackal...15 feet. ( theres a story there...)

grin
Ingwe

Oops I forgot the most important-and shortest one...
Leopard...with the muzzle pressed against its head... eek
( another story there...)

eek The leopard sounds like an interesting story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by medicman
Longest Gemsbok 500yd

Randy

Randy,

What calibre/bullet did you make that first shot on the Gemsbok?......that's a looooong way.............

Blair.
Shortest first shot, tied at about 7yds two elephants. 458wm double rifle, express sights.
Longest first shot, tied at about 240yds one each zebra, implala, bushbuck, hyhena. 375H&H bolt with either a 1.5x5 Leupold or a 1.1x4 S&B.

Best shot, about 75yds with a 458wm double rifle and open express sights for a klipspringer.

JPK
Longest shot 350 yards on a Kudu Bull, 300RUM 180gr TSX. Shortest was 25 yards on an elephant. Had a shot at one from 10 but he was too small to kill that day.
"Best shot, about 75yds with a 458wm double rifle and open express sights for a klipspringer."

Nice shooting!!! whistle

My shortest shot was 49 yards on a Steenbok, and the longest was 526 yards on a Springbok. Both shots were with a Sharps 45-110 with open barrel sights using paper patched bullets.
Mines pretty boring.....40 yds. on a warthog, 110 yds. on a blue wildebeast....with my 45-70 guide gun.

maddog
Originally Posted by Blair338RUM
Longest Gemsbok 500yd

Randy

Randy,

What calibre/bullet did you make that first shot on the Gemsbok?......that's a looooong way.............

Blair.

Blair
338 winmag. Gemsbok was going straight away. Rested with pack on a rock from prone. He stopped. I knew 40" drop at 500 so crosshairs were vertical between the horns and down the middle of the back, and horizontal on tip of horns. He was wounded already, I hit him first at 250 but misjudged the lead and hit him too far back in the middle of the body.

That round hit about 3-4 inches left of centre and took out his left lung, he walked a few steps and laid down under a thorn tree.

I am not a long range hunter, but have shot that load a lot at 500 yards, so knew the gun and bullet placement. I can assure you it was not the choice shot for me, but out of necessity. By the way yours was just as far. What is that story?

Randy
About 300 yds on an Eland, and between 10 and 15 yds on a lion.

Both with 300 Partition/375 H&H.

Pete
At the insistence of my PH Phillip Price, Swartkei Safaris I shot a Black Wildebeest at an estimated 800 yards, and he was moving. I hit him 3 out of 5 times with 210 Noslers out of my .338 Win. two body hits and a hip shot..Phillip told me if I nicked him his tracker could find him.. I have that on film along with a 475 yard shot on a Springbok looking at us with a rest over Phillips shoulder, also on film..I also have on film a 300 plus yard shot on a Kudu off hand, he fell at the shot. Phillip told my wife, that he didn't think I could miss....All this on one hunt...It was just one of those good hunts where nothing could go wrong, and thanks to my spouse it was all on film..
I don't like to take long shots, but after over an hour of belly crawling on multiple blown stalks, I finally took what was my longest shot at an African animal, 348 yds on a Gemsbok. I shot from a tight sling sitting position also using one leg of the shooting sticks as a rest. .375 Ultra mag, 270 gr TSX. At the shot, the bull ran 10 yds and fell dead.
[Linked Image]

My shortest African shot was again with my .375 Ultra mag. We had spotted a group of Eland bulls walking up a draw. We circled up the draw and waited. The largest bull was in the lead, and when he came in sight, I pushed the safety off, and the bull heard the click and stopped and looked toward us. After several long seconds, the bull continued. I let him take a couple more steps then broke both his shoulders with a 270 gr TSX bullet. After the shot, I lasered the distance at an even 30 yds.
[Linked Image]
Once shot an Eland at over 450 yards, up a 45 degree mountain. First shot hit that animal 10 inches below it's spine. It then started a quick desent downward and I hit it once again on the run, heard the "smack" of the bullet at about 160 yards but those animals can absorb a bunch of lead. Took off fast in it's direction, only to have the bull almost run me over coming out of the thorn bushes. I put a 3rd shot into his chest at 25 yards, using a .338 win mag with 225 TBBC bullet.
325 yds on a eland with a 375 h&h235 tsx
4 steps whitetail doewith 270 win it had no idea i was sitting there i just let her keep coming
Shortest - 100 yards Steenbok
Longest - 302 yards Zebra

Both with my 375 H&H using the 300 grain TSX.
Longest was 200+ at a Hartmanns zebra, closest was 20 yes at a kudu bull, with my bow.
Closest was on a Springbuck with afterburners on at 35m. Swung through him shotgun style. Aimpoint was about 6 inches in front of the tip of his nose in line with bottom third of body, bullet him in the heart.Calibre was 7mm Rem Mag with 170gr monolithic .
Furthest shot was at a Blesbok at 516 meters with 7mm08. Had been wounded earlier by another hunter. I ranged him , dialled up and he went straight down . Shooting prone with Harris Bipod, using GS Custom 140gr HP.
Originally Posted by Blair338RUM
Longest Gemsbok 500yd

Randy

Randy,

Blair.

Blair
338 winmag. Gemsbok was going straight away. Rested with pack on a rock from prone. He stopped. I knew 40" drop at 500 so crosshairs were vertical between the horns and down the middle of the back, and horizontal on tip of horns. He was wounded already, I hit him first at 250 but misjudged the lead and hit him too far back in the middle of the body.

That round hit about 3-4 inches left of centre and took out his left lung, he walked a few steps and laid down under a thorn tree.

I am not a long range hunter, but have shot that load a lot at 500 yards, so knew the gun and bullet placement. I can assure you it was not the choice shot for me, but out of necessity. By the way yours was just as far. What is that story?

Randy

Randy,

I was using 160XFB's in a 7mmSTW.........knew the drop out to 500 yards and took the shot off a rolled jacket on a rock. She was heart shot............ran about 30 yards and that was it..............

Blair.
Originally Posted by atkinson
At the insistence of my PH Phillip Price, Swartkei Safaris I shot a Black Wildebeest at an estimated 800 yards, and he was moving. I hit him 3 out of 5 times with 210 Noslers out of my .338 Win. two body hits and a hip shot..Phillip told me if I nicked him his tracker could find him.. I have that on film along with a 475 yard shot on a Springbok looking at us with a rest over Phillips shoulder, also on film..I also have on film a 300 plus yard shot on a Kudu off hand, he fell at the shot. Phillip told my wife, that he didn't think I could miss....All this on one hunt...It was just one of those good hunts where nothing could go wrong, and thanks to my spouse it was all on film..

eek

Bloody hell, Ray......remind me to never piss you off grin

Fantastic shooting...........................................!!!!
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
My shortest shot was 49 yards on a Steenbok, and the longest was 526 yards on a Springbok. Both shots were with a Sharps 45-110 with open barrel sights using paper patched bullets.

I have heard those Sharps rifles and paper patched bullets are really accurate, you don't see them here in Oz much,..........526 yards on a Springbok, with open sights............that is mind boggling!!!
I really don't know about my longest shot, but the closest was a charging elephant at 12 yds. That's one shot I hope I won't have to do again.
You musta done it right!

Youre still posting! grin

Ingwe
Originally Posted by ingwe
You musta done it right!

Youre still posting! grin

Ingwe

+1..........little bit bigger than a steenbuck too grin
Blair--The big 45 caliber Sharps loaded with 500 to 540 grain paper patched bullets and barrel sights are more accurate than most people suspect.

The laser rangefinder allows one to set the ladder sight quickly and precisely and really lets this rifle come in to its own.
Blair,
I made those shots at the insistence of the PH, who was proud of his tracker and knowledge of his concession and guarenteed me he would find any animal wounded..Plus I was younger then and eager and proud of my shooting ability, and I took long shots back then..

Today I would not consider a shot beyond 400 yards and then only under perfect conditions with a rock steady rest, time and consideration, in fact I have not taken a shot over 300 yards for a number of years now....

I prefer to do my hunting first, then my shooting. I now pretty much limit my shots to 300 yards and under...Why is this?, because I lost two and came very close to losing several other fine game animals from taking those long shots. It is a horrible feeling and it changed my whole outlook on the subject.
Ray,

I understand that completely; in fact I'm moving in the same direction myself........

Blair.
Longest shot was 252 yds on a gemsbok, the shortest was about 50 feet on Buffalo in the long grass.
The longest was on a Thompson's gazelle in Maasailand , which was about 250 yards; the shortest would be at a cape buffalo in the Selous that was maybe 25 yards away.
475 yards on a zebra

7 yards on a bongo.

Why so far on the zebra? I'm embarrassed to say I botched the first shot at 125 yards because a leaf in my field of view distracted me, and I gut shot the zebra. My PH/with whom I had hunted with before gave me a WTF look, as the zebra and his pals galloped across the open dambo and stopped to look back from the other side.

From shooting sticks, I stuck the next 9.3 RWS H-Mantle where it counted, and regained my credibility. It became a running joke in camp that Bwana could only pull off the impossible shots, as I downed a running blue wildebeast with easy nonchalance. I threated (in jest) to gut shoot the leopard to give my PH and tracker some excitement in their lives. Their reply was fine, you follow up first, we'll be along in ten minutes. That ended that little joke.

The bongo was taken in the Rain forest. I could almost reach out and tough him.
You musta done it right!

Youre still posting!

Ingwe

I guess I did do it right. Sometimes you just get lucky. Having a 416 Rigby in my hands sure helped.
Originally Posted by hatari
475 yards on a zebra

7 yards on a bongo.

Why so far on the zebra? I'm embarrassed to say I botched the first shot at 125 yards because a leaf in my field of view distracted me, and I gut shot the zebra. My PH/with whom I had hunted with before gave me a WTF look, as the zebra and his pals galloped across the open dambo and stopped to look back from the other side.

From shooting sticks, I stuck the next 9.3 RWS H-Mantle where it counted, and regained my credibility. It became a running joke in camp that Bwana could only pull off the impossible shots, as I downed a running blue wildebeast with easy nonchalance. I threated (in jest) to gut shoot the leopard to give my PH and tracker some excitement in their lives. Their reply was fine, you follow up first, we'll be along in ten minutes. That ended that little joke.

The bongo was taken in the Rain forest. I could almost reach out and tough him.

The same thing happened to me with a Kudu; broke his on shoulder but he got up and buggered off........a merry chase ensued with me finally spining him, running away from me at about 100 yards........the PH, Mike Kibble laughed and said " you shoot them better running, than stationary, you bloody Aussie 'roo shooter" smirk
40 & 300
closest: 40 yards Impala
Farthest: Impala 250yds
Best: Impala 190yds free handed...I wish I could say
it wasn't luck, but thats all it was!

Never had time to look thru my Binos much less range a trophy! Before anyone asks I did hunt more than just impala!
Listen to your PH, they do this sort of thing about 200 days a year.
Well this wasn't in africa, but since there isn't another thread I have found like this one..... I shot a black bear sow at about 10 feet. .338 win mag with 225 grain federal premiums. A "scared [bleep]" moment. It dropped where it stood
Shortest 100 yd., Bushbuck
Longest 280 yd., Blesbuck

Ruger M77 .300 Win Mag, 180 gr.

Leupold 3X9 VX II
24 yards on a female impala, shot in the middle of the neck for meat after a very interesting stalk that followed the herd for several hundred yards in and out of the thornbush. Rifle was a 7x57 loaded with 160 Sierra GameKings.

360 yards on a Cape kudu bull, at a 45-degree angle up a mountain, with a .30-06 and 180 Partition handload. The bullet hit the middle of the near shoulder but because of the angle also broke the spine!

There are also some in between, however, that I would rather forget--such as a blue wildbeest that took 5 250-grain Nsoler Partitions from a .338 and half a mile to finally lie down....
Originally Posted by jprice
closest: 40 yards Impala
Farthest: Impala 250yds
Best: Impala 190yds free handed...I wish I could say
it wasn't luck, but thats all it was!

Never had time to look thru my Binos much less range a trophy! Before anyone asks I did hunt more than just impala!
Listen to your PH, they do this sort of thing about 200 days a year.

grin Luck is good to have!!!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

There are also some in between, however, that I would rather forget--such as a blue wildbeest that took 5 250-grain Nsoler Partitions from a .338 and half a mile to finally lie down....

I remember dat one! Tafel was indicated afterwards.... wink

Ingwe
The shortest distance was around 35 yards in pouring down rain on a blue diker using of all things, my .416 Rem. mag. The longest shot would have been on an eland at over 400 yards with a .338 Win mag. It took 2 more shots after that one to finish the brute.
Only been there once(RSA), so not much of a sample group. Longest was a black wildebeast, at a lasered 212 yards. Closest, and ironically, the only critter requiring tracking/follow up, was a trotting zebra, at about 30-40 paces I guess. He changed course as I broke the shot. All shot with a 9.3x74R/ 286gr bullets, and a 4x scope.

Jeff
Shortest- 15 yards on a jackal.
Longest- 410 yards on a jackal.
© 24hourcampfire