Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by atkinson
At the insistence of my PH Phillip Price, Swartkei Safaris I shot a Black Wildebeest at an estimated 800 yards, and he was moving. I hit him 3 out of 5 times with 210 Noslers out of my .338 Win. two body hits and a hip shot..Phillip told me if I nicked him his tracker could find him.. I have that on film along with a 475 yard shot on a Springbok looking at us with a rest over Phillips shoulder, also on film..I also have on film a 300 plus yard shot on a Kudu off hand, he fell at the shot. Phillip told my wife, that he didn't think I could miss....All this on one hunt...It was just one of those good hunts where nothing could go wrong, and thanks to my spouse it was all on film..

eek

Bloody hell, Ray......remind me to never piss you off grin

Fantastic shooting...........................................!!!!

GB1

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
My shortest shot was 49 yards on a Steenbok, and the longest was 526 yards on a Springbok. Both shots were with a Sharps 45-110 with open barrel sights using paper patched bullets.

I have heard those Sharps rifles and paper patched bullets are really accurate, you don't see them here in Oz much,..........526 yards on a Springbok, with open sights............that is mind boggling!!!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I really don't know about my longest shot, but the closest was a charging elephant at 12 yds. That's one shot I hope I won't have to do again.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You musta done it right!

Youre still posting! grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
You musta done it right!

Youre still posting! grin

Ingwe

+1..........little bit bigger than a steenbuck too grin

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Blair--The big 45 caliber Sharps loaded with 500 to 540 grain paper patched bullets and barrel sights are more accurate than most people suspect.

The laser rangefinder allows one to set the ladder sight quickly and precisely and really lets this rifle come in to its own.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Blair,
I made those shots at the insistence of the PH, who was proud of his tracker and knowledge of his concession and guarenteed me he would find any animal wounded..Plus I was younger then and eager and proud of my shooting ability, and I took long shots back then..

Today I would not consider a shot beyond 400 yards and then only under perfect conditions with a rock steady rest, time and consideration, in fact I have not taken a shot over 300 yards for a number of years now....

I prefer to do my hunting first, then my shooting. I now pretty much limit my shots to 300 yards and under...Why is this?, because I lost two and came very close to losing several other fine game animals from taking those long shots. It is a horrible feeling and it changed my whole outlook on the subject.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Ray,

I understand that completely; in fact I'm moving in the same direction myself........

Blair.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Longest shot was 252 yds on a gemsbok, the shortest was about 50 feet on Buffalo in the long grass.

Jim
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The longest was on a Thompson's gazelle in Maasailand , which was about 250 yards; the shortest would be at a cape buffalo in the Selous that was maybe 25 yards away.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
475 yards on a zebra

7 yards on a bongo.

Why so far on the zebra? I'm embarrassed to say I botched the first shot at 125 yards because a leaf in my field of view distracted me, and I gut shot the zebra. My PH/with whom I had hunted with before gave me a WTF look, as the zebra and his pals galloped across the open dambo and stopped to look back from the other side.

From shooting sticks, I stuck the next 9.3 RWS H-Mantle where it counted, and regained my credibility. It became a running joke in camp that Bwana could only pull off the impossible shots, as I downed a running blue wildebeast with easy nonchalance. I threated (in jest) to gut shoot the leopard to give my PH and tracker some excitement in their lives. Their reply was fine, you follow up first, we'll be along in ten minutes. That ended that little joke.

The bongo was taken in the Rain forest. I could almost reach out and tough him.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You musta done it right!

Youre still posting!

Ingwe

I guess I did do it right. Sometimes you just get lucky. Having a 416 Rigby in my hands sure helped.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by hatari
475 yards on a zebra

7 yards on a bongo.

Why so far on the zebra? I'm embarrassed to say I botched the first shot at 125 yards because a leaf in my field of view distracted me, and I gut shot the zebra. My PH/with whom I had hunted with before gave me a WTF look, as the zebra and his pals galloped across the open dambo and stopped to look back from the other side.

From shooting sticks, I stuck the next 9.3 RWS H-Mantle where it counted, and regained my credibility. It became a running joke in camp that Bwana could only pull off the impossible shots, as I downed a running blue wildebeast with easy nonchalance. I threated (in jest) to gut shoot the leopard to give my PH and tracker some excitement in their lives. Their reply was fine, you follow up first, we'll be along in ten minutes. That ended that little joke.

The bongo was taken in the Rain forest. I could almost reach out and tough him.

The same thing happened to me with a Kudu; broke his on shoulder but he got up and buggered off........a merry chase ensued with me finally spining him, running away from me at about 100 yards........the PH, Mike Kibble laughed and said " you shoot them better running, than stationary, you bloody Aussie 'roo shooter" smirk

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
40 & 300

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
closest: 40 yards Impala
Farthest: Impala 250yds
Best: Impala 190yds free handed...I wish I could say
it wasn't luck, but thats all it was!

Never had time to look thru my Binos much less range a trophy! Before anyone asks I did hunt more than just impala!
Listen to your PH, they do this sort of thing about 200 days a year.

Last edited by jprice; 03/01/10.

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Well this wasn't in africa, but since there isn't another thread I have found like this one..... I shot a black bear sow at about 10 feet. .338 win mag with 225 grain federal premiums. A "scared [bleep]" moment. It dropped where it stood

The one thing I look forward to with technology is to travel back in time to hunt mastodons!
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Shortest 100 yd., Bushbuck
Longest 280 yd., Blesbuck

Ruger M77 .300 Win Mag, 180 gr.

Leupold 3X9 VX II

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
24 yards on a female impala, shot in the middle of the neck for meat after a very interesting stalk that followed the herd for several hundred yards in and out of the thornbush. Rifle was a 7x57 loaded with 160 Sierra GameKings.

360 yards on a Cape kudu bull, at a 45-degree angle up a mountain, with a .30-06 and 180 Partition handload. The bullet hit the middle of the near shoulder but because of the angle also broke the spine!

There are also some in between, however, that I would rather forget--such as a blue wildbeest that took 5 250-grain Nsoler Partitions from a .338 and half a mile to finally lie down....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by jprice
closest: 40 yards Impala
Farthest: Impala 250yds
Best: Impala 190yds free handed...I wish I could say
it wasn't luck, but thats all it was!

Never had time to look thru my Binos much less range a trophy! Before anyone asks I did hunt more than just impala!
Listen to your PH, they do this sort of thing about 200 days a year.

grin Luck is good to have!!!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

There are also some in between, however, that I would rather forget--such as a blue wildbeest that took 5 250-grain Nsoler Partitions from a .338 and half a mile to finally lie down....

I remember dat one! Tafel was indicated afterwards.... wink

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (44mc, 3333vl, 308ld, 10gaugemag, 160user, 257 roberts, 23 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,209
Posts18,503,912
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.