Home
Posted By: dvdegeorge Need Help Have Questions - 01/06/12
I am getting married on Sept 8th this year,my bride to be has mentioned Africa for a honeymoon she doesn't hunt and just wants to see the animals...I told her if I go to Africa I need to hunt as I've never been I politely explained to her that it would be like me taking her to Tiffany's in NYC and she could only look and not try on and buy jewlery(have to put things on their terms) she agreed but the whole trip can't be about hunting....my questions are
1. is Sept. a good month to go to Africa?
2. Are there any hunting outfits that have very nice accomodations and maybe a pool so she could enjoy time while in camp
3. Is South africa ,Cape town a nice place to honeymoon?

What I'm trying to do is make this a memorible trip for us both as it is first and fore most a honeymoon
She is the one who mentioned Africa as a destination so I can always say it was your idea!
Any help or suggestions would be great
If I was going it alone or with a buddy I could care less about posh accomodations but being a honeymoon it would need to be very comfortable and kind of fancy for Queeny
It starts to get a bit hot then.

Mafigeni would be PERFECT for a first visit and honeymoon. They are well situated to the best SA parks and cater to weddings/honeymoons. Jill would see to it that you had your own exclusive guide for the stay.

http://www.mafigeni.com/
Posted By: agazain Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/06/12
Eastern Cape in South Africa would be perfect.
Posted By: c86man3 Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/06/12
I have never been to Africa. Having said that, I would go on a different Honeymoon (cheaper probably) and then in a year go to Africa for a trip like you asked about. That way, she doesn't feel like you are spending all that time away from her on the honeymoon. It wouldn't be very fun if she wasn't enjoying herself and felt like you were neglecting her or something.

But, you know your situation better than I do. Sounds like a fun Honeymoon.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/07/12
Eastern Cape
Go, hunt, sight see

You'll never regret it

Contact Wade Derby @crosshair consulting
Posted By: safariman Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/07/12
I would contact JJhack here at 24hrcf. He has a great operation and lived there for quite a few years. I am in a similar situation, wife of 4 years has never been, and does not want an all hunting trip. My hoped for trip with her is to take her to Victoria Falls and Lake Kariba in Northern Zim, Hwange NAtional PArk in Zimbabwe then down to hunt with Jim Hackewicz for 5-7 days and or Peter Kriel, then aNAtional Park somewhere n RSA for a couple of days. If time and money allow, maybe the cape.
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/07/12
You may want to check out Jan Oelofse's Mt. Etjo lodge in Namibia. I believe that you would both be happy. You could also add side trips to Swakopmund, Etosha, or Victoria Falls.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/07/12
I've met the people from Mafigeni when they have come to the Sportsman show in Calgary. They seem to be very down to earth. They are definitely in the running for my first trip. especially because they are very comfortable with my teenage girls hunting.
Posted By: maddog Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/07/12
Go to south africa. Once you get there, you don't have to get any connecting flights. Take her to Kruger for 3-4 days. You do a 7-8 days plains game hunt, and take her along to take pics!
Not been to Capetown, but heard it is awesome! Here is who we hunted with in 2008.

www.cruisersafaris.com/

They DO have a swimming pool, and their pkgs./rates are as good as anybody in RSA.

maddog
Posted By: Fjold Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/08/12
Bringing the wife on an African hunting trip? I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street anymore so in my case I guess it would save me a little on leopard bait.

Posted By: ingwe Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/08/12
Go to Namibia, hunt and plan a side trip to Etosha...
Posted By: GRF Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/08/12
+1 Ingwe

I hunted with Byseewah just south of Estosha in May 2009. My wife does not hunt but really enjoyed her time at Byseewah. Mornings she would come hunting which was great deal of walking we saw some very cool things, in the afternoon she would stay in "camp" read and work on taking taking of the incredible and the animals which came to the watering hole near camp. We then spend 3 weeks touring around Namibia. There are lodges where you can stay in Etosha. GRF
Posted By: Mauser12 Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/08/12
I think most PHs in Africa will go out of their way for a non-hunter. My wife went with me and while she didn't hunt she still talks about the experience on a weekly basis. We did spent a week in Cape Town after hunting ad made side trips to the Cape of Good hope and a couple of other places. One warning! Once you go you will start planning to go back. If you take your wife, she will help plan the next trip.
I've been to SA once, spent four days in East Cape hunting and loved it. Saw enough of Port Elizbeth and the coast line to want to go back again. Not having seen Cape Town I can't offer any personal experiences but would think that CP or Kruger Park would be the "must see areas" though not on the same trip (too far apart). Best wishes on your union, and you can be sure that your outfitters will bust themselves to make sure your bride has a great time.
Thanks guys keep the suggetions coming...

A bit pre mature but never to early to start planning I just sold my .300 Weatherby a few months back that would have been my choice for plains game,in my safe now are 7mm-08 and .257 Weatherby are these enough gun for plains game or will I be looking for another rifle?
Posted By: dae Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/09/12
Check out Tollie's African Safaris, http://www.safari-in-africa.com/. My wife and I went there in 2008. She doesn't hunt, so she spent some time following me hunting and some time doing her own thing. We also did some sightseeing and shopping in Port Elizabeth and Jefferie's Bay. We had a great time and I can't recomend them highly enough.
Posted By: Mauser12 Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/09/12
I used a 6.5X55 and a 25/06 on the smaller stuff. Although I used a 338 on the larger analope I would think your 257 would be fine with a premium bullet.
Posted By: medicman Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/09/12
I would use the 7-08 and load it with TSX to replicate 7x57 specs. I am not familiar with 257 Wtby so make no comments on it. 7x57 is well respected though an 06 is preferred by many.

Randy

My first hunt I was accompanied by my wife, and now I cannot make plans without her. I have the best of worlds
Posted By: ghost Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/09/12
My PH uses a 7x57 as his rifle, and it works fine. MOST plains game not any bigger, if a big as a whitetail deer, so the 7-08, especially using Nosler partitions or the Barnes Ttsx, should work fine.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/09/12
Zebra, Kudu, eland, waterbuck, gemsbok, hartebeest,Blue wildebeest, Black Wildebeest, Blesbok, sable, nyala, roan, Are all quite a bit bigger then a whitetail, and they are mostly herd animals. Never underestimate the complexity to recover herd species VS individual animals like a Kudu or Nyala.

I hear all the time that the plains game are no different then WT deer to kill. Maybe that's a fair assumption if you have hunted Africa a time or two, and been lucky or with excellent shots.

The WT deer is probably the easiest of all game for its size to kill and locate. There is simply no comparison to it and the herd species listed above. Having killed WT's all my life with gun and bow, and having been a PH in Africa for nearly 20 years. It's simply not even close!

Skilled shooters with calm nerves ( as a PH or experienced local) with plenty of options to pass and try another day are not in the same league as a visiting tourist hunter with limited time, shaky or excitable nerves, and bad angles to shoot as an only option.

There is no doubt that that rifle will harvest game, but please do not mistake it for a great choice because a PH uses it, or because it works so good on non herd species like a WT deer.
Posted By: akjeff Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/09/12
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Thanks guys keep the suggetions coming...

A bit pre mature but never to early to start planning I just sold my .300 Weatherby a few months back that would have been my choice for plains game,in my safe now are 7mm-08 and .257 Weatherby are these enough gun for plains game or will I be looking for another rifle?

Your 7-08 will be just fine. On our latest(2nd)trip to RSA, my wife used hers to shoot a springbok & gemsbok, I was so impressed, I borrowed it, to take mine as well, plus common reedbuck, and warthog. Nothing stopped the 156gr Norma Oryx's. The only thing I used my 9.3x74R for, was a zebra and eland. Though the 7-08 would have killed them dead, as well.

Be warned. We made the first trip together, and I doubt she'll ever let me go without her, unless it's to one of the more "iffy" countries.

Good luck, and congrats! Should make for a honeymoon to remember!!!

Jeff
Posted By: Tophet1 Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/09/12
If your 7-08 can shoot heavy for calibre projjies (154+) it will do very well. Even a premium 140 like an A-Frame or Partition will take all but the largest Plains Game.

September is a great time to visit. It maybe a little windy but the Temps will be fine.

Cape Town is a definant recommendation for a Honeymoon. I have been there twice, the last time with the wife and kids. Great Seafood, spectacular views and shopping. The wineries make a great day trip(s). Avoid Stellenbosch as it has gone very commercial. Franschhoek is more up market and unspoilt. Day trips to the Cape of Good Hope and Robbin Island are possible as well as Table Mountain. Don't wait for good weather to visit Table Mtn. If it is clear when you get there, go that day.

I would recommend you stay in Camps Bay and not Cape Town itself. http://campsbaytourism.com/ There are many upmarket and also reasonable B&B's who can recommend good quality and non-tourist value destinations. We stayed at eg http://www.africabana.com/Welcome.html The Camps Bay ocean front restaurants are very good value. A week there is enough to see most sights and recover from jet lag. Hire a care (From $45 a day for a new model but don't book ahead. Hire locally) and self drive up to Nysna. Take 2-3 days of easy travel but you can do it in a day. I'd recommend http://www.blueoyster.co.za/

There is some good hunting in the East Cape and your 257 would work well there as well. Not all the best African hunting needs to involve large animals. Contact Marius Goosens http://www.huntsafaris.co.za/default.asp?iId=IMHMJ He is young with a young wife and will know what you would like. He is near Port Elizabeth which is also sea side with a lot your wife can do.

You'll love it. The people are friendly, the food and cost of living is cheap (even with your depressed US$). Go for it.
Posted By: hatari Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/09/12
South Africa, for a honeymoon.

Start in Cape Town, do Table Mountain and the Wine Country, then drive the Garden Route down the coast eating fine seafood and drinking wonderful Cape wines.

You can hunt the eastern Cape and stay in Game Lodges, or fly from Port Elizabeth up north for something more traditional.

Take two days to fly to Vic Falls before you come home. You will not be disappointed!

September works. Enjoy!
Posted By: TexasMark Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/09/12
Either rifle will work for the "standard" plainsgame. My wife shot a zebra with her 257 Weatherby using 115 gr TSX bullets. It was a one shot deal and a complete pass through - both shoulders and the spine at about 125 yards. It is a flat shooter for springbok if you hunt them. Take your new bride and have a great time. My wife of 34 years did little hunting before we went, now she is making a list for our trip in June. Look at Blaauwkrantz Safari's, also. They have a great ranch and condo's on the beach at Port Elizabeth. Parks are near and they are great people.
Mark
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/09/12
I took my wife to SA last June, The only thing she hunts actively is praire dogs. We spent 4 days in Kruger and 7 days with a friend hunting. She is a real home body. When we left she asked me how long I thought it would take us to save enough money to return. It is a wonderful place to honeymoon.

On this trip she tride to get a shot at impala and just never felt comfortable with a shot but she got the excietment of the hunt and was thrilled with that.

I have gone in October and it was pretty hot but a good trip none the less. May is my prefered time frame
Posted By: RatFink Re: Need Help Have Questions - 01/10/12
My wife and I went to Namibia last year for our 1st anniversary and "Hunting moon" as she calls it. She is a serious hunter so side trips and shopping were not allowed as it took time away from hunting. For us it was all about the hunting. Well not all of it, we are expecting our first born in a few months!
© 24hourcampfire