Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am getting married on Sept 8th this year,my bride to be has mentioned Africa for a honeymoon she doesn't hunt and just wants to see the animals...I told her if I go to Africa I need to hunt as I've never been I politely explained to her that it would be like me taking her to Tiffany's in NYC and she could only look and not try on and buy jewlery(have to put things on their terms) she agreed but the whole trip can't be about hunting....my questions are
1. is Sept. a good month to go to Africa?
2. Are there any hunting outfits that have very nice accomodations and maybe a pool so she could enjoy time while in camp
3. Is South africa ,Cape town a nice place to honeymoon?

What I'm trying to do is make this a memorible trip for us both as it is first and fore most a honeymoon
She is the one who mentioned Africa as a destination so I can always say it was your idea!
Any help or suggestions would be great
If I was going it alone or with a buddy I could care less about posh accomodations but being a honeymoon it would need to be very comfortable and kind of fancy for Queeny

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It starts to get a bit hot then.

Mafigeni would be PERFECT for a first visit and honeymoon. They are well situated to the best SA parks and cater to weddings/honeymoons. Jill would see to it that you had your own exclusive guide for the stay.

http://www.mafigeni.com/

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Eastern Cape in South Africa would be perfect.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have never been to Africa. Having said that, I would go on a different Honeymoon (cheaper probably) and then in a year go to Africa for a trip like you asked about. That way, she doesn't feel like you are spending all that time away from her on the honeymoon. It wouldn't be very fun if she wasn't enjoying herself and felt like you were neglecting her or something.

But, you know your situation better than I do. Sounds like a fun Honeymoon.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Eastern Cape
Go, hunt, sight see

You'll never regret it

Contact Wade Derby @crosshair consulting

Last edited by TBREW401; 01/06/12.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would contact JJhack here at 24hrcf. He has a great operation and lived there for quite a few years. I am in a similar situation, wife of 4 years has never been, and does not want an all hunting trip. My hoped for trip with her is to take her to Victoria Falls and Lake Kariba in Northern Zim, Hwange NAtional PArk in Zimbabwe then down to hunt with Jim Hackewicz for 5-7 days and or Peter Kriel, then aNAtional Park somewhere n RSA for a couple of days. If time and money allow, maybe the cape.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You may want to check out Jan Oelofse's Mt. Etjo lodge in Namibia. I believe that you would both be happy. You could also add side trips to Swakopmund, Etosha, or Victoria Falls.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've met the people from Mafigeni when they have come to the Sportsman show in Calgary. They seem to be very down to earth. They are definitely in the running for my first trip. especially because they are very comfortable with my teenage girls hunting.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Go to south africa. Once you get there, you don't have to get any connecting flights. Take her to Kruger for 3-4 days. You do a 7-8 days plains game hunt, and take her along to take pics!
Not been to Capetown, but heard it is awesome! Here is who we hunted with in 2008.

www.cruisersafaris.com/

They DO have a swimming pool, and their pkgs./rates are as good as anybody in RSA.

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bringing the wife on an African hunting trip? I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street anymore so in my case I guess it would save me a little on leopard bait.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Go to Namibia, hunt and plan a side trip to Etosha...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
GRF Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
+1 Ingwe

I hunted with Byseewah just south of Estosha in May 2009. My wife does not hunt but really enjoyed her time at Byseewah. Mornings she would come hunting which was great deal of walking we saw some very cool things, in the afternoon she would stay in "camp" read and work on taking taking of the incredible and the animals which came to the watering hole near camp. We then spend 3 weeks touring around Namibia. There are lodges where you can stay in Etosha. GRF

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I think most PHs in Africa will go out of their way for a non-hunter. My wife went with me and while she didn't hunt she still talks about the experience on a weekly basis. We did spent a week in Cape Town after hunting ad made side trips to the Cape of Good hope and a couple of other places. One warning! Once you go you will start planning to go back. If you take your wife, she will help plan the next trip.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
I've been to SA once, spent four days in East Cape hunting and loved it. Saw enough of Port Elizbeth and the coast line to want to go back again. Not having seen Cape Town I can't offer any personal experiences but would think that CP or Kruger Park would be the "must see areas" though not on the same trip (too far apart). Best wishes on your union, and you can be sure that your outfitters will bust themselves to make sure your bride has a great time.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys keep the suggetions coming...

A bit pre mature but never to early to start planning I just sold my .300 Weatherby a few months back that would have been my choice for plains game,in my safe now are 7mm-08 and .257 Weatherby are these enough gun for plains game or will I be looking for another rifle?

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

D
dae Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Check out Tollie's African Safaris, http://www.safari-in-africa.com/. My wife and I went there in 2008. She doesn't hunt, so she spent some time following me hunting and some time doing her own thing. We also did some sightseeing and shopping in Port Elizabeth and Jefferie's Bay. We had a great time and I can't recomend them highly enough.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I used a 6.5X55 and a 25/06 on the smaller stuff. Although I used a 338 on the larger analope I would think your 257 would be fine with a premium bullet.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would use the 7-08 and load it with TSX to replicate 7x57 specs. I am not familiar with 257 Wtby so make no comments on it. 7x57 is well respected though an 06 is preferred by many.

Randy

My first hunt I was accompanied by my wife, and now I cannot make plans without her. I have the best of worlds

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My PH uses a 7x57 as his rifle, and it works fine. MOST plains game not any bigger, if a big as a whitetail deer, so the 7-08, especially using Nosler partitions or the Barnes Ttsx, should work fine.

Ghost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Zebra, Kudu, eland, waterbuck, gemsbok, hartebeest,Blue wildebeest, Black Wildebeest, Blesbok, sable, nyala, roan, Are all quite a bit bigger then a whitetail, and they are mostly herd animals. Never underestimate the complexity to recover herd species VS individual animals like a Kudu or Nyala.

I hear all the time that the plains game are no different then WT deer to kill. Maybe that's a fair assumption if you have hunted Africa a time or two, and been lucky or with excellent shots.

The WT deer is probably the easiest of all game for its size to kill and locate. There is simply no comparison to it and the herd species listed above. Having killed WT's all my life with gun and bow, and having been a PH in Africa for nearly 20 years. It's simply not even close!

Skilled shooters with calm nerves ( as a PH or experienced local) with plenty of options to pass and try another day are not in the same league as a visiting tourist hunter with limited time, shaky or excitable nerves, and bad angles to shoot as an only option.

There is no doubt that that rifle will harvest game, but please do not mistake it for a great choice because a PH uses it, or because it works so good on non herd species like a WT deer.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,226 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,348
Posts18,506,238
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.