Home
For those who have been there - I'd like your experienced suggestions and tips for my brother and I. We will hunt the Eastern Cape with Lalapa Safaris. We're after plains game, the main species will be Kudu, Eland, Gemsbock, Impala and Black Wildebeest. Lots of opportunity for a variety of other game. We have the usual gear list suggested by the outfitter, and will have to borrow his rifles ( not our original plan, but what works with our flight schedules) We are both very experienced hunters in Canada, but this is only my second trip to Africa and my first hunting trip there, by brother is new to the continent.
So, what surprises did you find, Any tips for us from someone who has been there and done that?
Have fun. I'm going in May for my first time. I have no advice for you obviously...just have a good time.
Use the sticks, shoot low and at the front leg not behind it. Take in the sights sounds and smells. You cannot take enough photos. Enjoy the experience.

Randy
I noticed Lalapa's website didn't suggest any rain gear. I would take some this time of year--along with both long and short pants. This is their summer, and can be anywhere from rainy and cool to sunny and HOT. I've been rained on pretty hard in the Eastern Cape as late as early May.

Other than that, have a great time!
Yes. Hunt some warthogs.
Take less clothes than you think you "need". Laundry will be done every day and overpacking is the most common "mistake" first timers make. Take more pictures than you would normally.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I noticed Lalapa's website didn't suggest any rain gear. I would take some this time of year--along with both long and short pants. This is their summer, and can be anywhere from rainy and cool to sunny and HOT. I've been rained on pretty hard in the Eastern Cape as late as early May.

Other than that, have a great time!

May is the start of our Winter and we have a summer rainfall season. You should not have any problems with rain.
If you have an iPhone or something similar with a weather application, you can put in a major city like Port Elizabeth and keep track of the weather.

The first time I hunted the Eastern Cape, I almost froze hunting on top of a mountain. As I recall, there were even a few tiny flakes of snow. That was in September. Since then, I always taken some warm clothing since Africa isn't as hot as some may think.
Take multiple pix. You need extra cards (digital). Drink water from the time you board to when you are home and carry a little water bottle in your pants pocket all the time. Bring slip-ons to tailor his guns to your dimensions (LOP and so on for good cheek-weld.) Enjoy!
Martin,
I sent you an email regarding your taxidermy.
Have a good time. Take along an extra, little, point and shoot camera with a big card in it. Give it to the PH and tell him to take any pictures that strike his fancy. It's interesting to see your trip thru someone else's eyes.
Bfly
Take half the clothes and twice the money. Shoot straight and have the time of your life!

Mike
Have fun and enjoy every second it goes by waaay to fast!
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
Have a good time. Take along an extra, little, point and shoot camera with a big card in it. Give it to the PH and tell him to take any pictures that strike his fancy. It's interesting to see your trip thru someone else's eyes.
Bfly

+1
I have guided and did this for a client, its interesting what is around us, but see differently.
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Take half the clothes and twice the money. Shoot straight and have the time of your life!

Mike

That's what I was trying to say but you said it better!
There may be a little glitch or two somewhere in your trip. Don't let them upset you, they always work out.
Shot Placement!! The "vital area" on all African PG is farther forward than on North American Whitetail's and the front leg/shoulder bone structure is different.

On broadside shots - aim straight up the front leg about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up the body. Most NA hunters nearly always instinctively revert to the "behind the shoulder" like on WT's and end up with nothing but lungs, liver or guts.
What dae said.
There will be little glitches here and there but just remember this little phrase. TIA, This is Africa. It comes from a troubled time in SA but it is still very applicable to your journey now.
Have a great time. My wife, son and I went last June and can't wait to go again. It truly is a special place.
KMG,

I know perfectly well that May is the start of the South African winter/dry season.

This hunter is going RIGHT NOW, in the middle of your summer.

My advice is for you to stay home and let me go in your place.
Thanks for all the good advice! Please keep it coming!
Mule Deer,
My bad....

But why does everyone call me KMG?
Marius,
KMG is your screen name, up on the left, the name you log in under.

BTW/FWIW, I just booked with Marius for July 2014.

Haven't been to Africa, YET, but my advice, you paid for his services, TRUST your PH,

Hancock
GreyFox
Isn't it short for King Marius Goosen? wink
Originally Posted by bea175
My advice is for you to stay home and let me go in your place.

+1!
Originally Posted by Hancock27
Marius,

Haven't been to Africa, YET, but my advice, you paid for his services, TRUST your PH,

Hancock
GreyFox

Yeah, but I thought that's what a signature is for. But I admit I do the like the King Marius suggestion. From now on, please address me as such.
OKay King, no problem, talk with you soon.
thanks for all the advice fellas, we're off tomorrow AM, wish us luck!
Godspeed...bring back lots of pics.....
Originally Posted by KMG
Originally Posted by Hancock27
Marius,

Hancock
GreyFox

Yeah, but I thought that's what a signature is for. But I admit I do the like the King Marius suggestion. From now on, please address me as such.

I thought it stood for Kill More Game
Marius is THE KING!!!! I had such a good time hunting with him in Sept 2012, I am working on my next trip in 2014 with even more excitement than my 1st trip.
Thanks for the kind words guys. But, if you keep it up, I'm going to end up with a swollen head, and those make too much noise moving through the brush.
And your crown won't fit any longer
Originally Posted by KMG
Thanks for the kind words guys. But, if you keep it up, I'm going to end up with a swollen head, and those make too much noise moving through the brush.

You've got a long way to go to catch up to Hack....... smile
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by KMG

You've got a long way to go to catch up to Hack....... smile

LOL
Thanks to all who replied to my question. The hunt was a wonderful experience and a great success. Even though we were going in the peak of S.A. Summer, we had some cool days, and did make use of the warm vest and a rain jacket a couple of times. No ticks to speak of, found only three or four on me over two weeks, and no bites. It DID get very hot some days, short pants were welcome. I used leather boots most days and found they were necessary in on rocky ridges and in thorn brush.
I wrote up a report with pictures and posted it here, have a look!
Thanks for your write up. Most appreciated and will help me until it is my turn next year.
Originally Posted by castnblast
Thanks to all who replied to my question. The hunt was a wonderful experience and a great success. Even though we were going in the peak of S.A. Summer, we had some cool days, and did make use of the warm vest and a rain jacket a couple of times. No ticks to speak of, found only three or four on me over two weeks, and no bites. It DID get very hot some days, short pants were welcome. I used leather boots most days and found they were necessary in on rocky ridges and in thorn brush.
I wrote up a report with pictures and posted it here, have a look!

Castnblast

No link appears in the post to that shows to me. Please repost.

Randy
Ignore the last post. I read the report. Thankyou.
Randy
One thing I will definitely recommend is making sure you take the time to work on the details when photographing yourself with your game. Sometimes, everybody is so excited, they just snap a few photo's of you with your kill, load it up in the truck and off you go.

Take the time to stage your photo's and check the details such as: Make sure the tongue isn't hanging out, blood isn't running out the nose, mouth is closed, your hat brim isn't shading your face, what's in the background behind you, do you want your rifle in the photo?, who else do you want in the photo?, brush out footprints or remove debris that'll be in the photo, experiment with different camera settings and scenes to get the best exposure.

The details make the difference.
© 24hourcampfire