Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
For those who have been there - I'd like your experienced suggestions and tips for my brother and I. We will hunt the Eastern Cape with Lalapa Safaris. We're after plains game, the main species will be Kudu, Eland, Gemsbock, Impala and Black Wildebeest. Lots of opportunity for a variety of other game. We have the usual gear list suggested by the outfitter, and will have to borrow his rifles ( not our original plan, but what works with our flight schedules) We are both very experienced hunters in Canada, but this is only my second trip to Africa and my first hunting trip there, by brother is new to the continent.
So, what surprises did you find, Any tips for us from someone who has been there and done that?

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Have fun. I'm going in May for my first time. I have no advice for you obviously...just have a good time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use the sticks, shoot low and at the front leg not behind it. Take in the sights sounds and smells. You cannot take enough photos. Enjoy the experience.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I noticed Lalapa's website didn't suggest any rain gear. I would take some this time of year--along with both long and short pants. This is their summer, and can be anywhere from rainy and cool to sunny and HOT. I've been rained on pretty hard in the Eastern Cape as late as early May.

Other than that, have a great time!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes. Hunt some warthogs.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Take less clothes than you think you "need". Laundry will be done every day and overpacking is the most common "mistake" first timers make. Take more pictures than you would normally.

Hunting For Adventure
Tom Addleman (816) 213-6646
[email protected]
To book your next great hunting adventure - www.huntingforadventure.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I noticed Lalapa's website didn't suggest any rain gear. I would take some this time of year--along with both long and short pants. This is their summer, and can be anywhere from rainy and cool to sunny and HOT. I've been rained on pretty hard in the Eastern Cape as late as early May.

Other than that, have a great time!

May is the start of our Winter and we have a summer rainfall season. You should not have any problems with rain.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you have an iPhone or something similar with a weather application, you can put in a major city like Port Elizabeth and keep track of the weather.

The first time I hunted the Eastern Cape, I almost froze hunting on top of a mountain. As I recall, there were even a few tiny flakes of snow. That was in September. Since then, I always taken some warm clothing since Africa isn't as hot as some may think.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Take multiple pix. You need extra cards (digital). Drink water from the time you board to when you are home and carry a little water bottle in your pants pocket all the time. Bring slip-ons to tailor his guns to your dimensions (LOP and so on for good cheek-weld.) Enjoy!

Last edited by agazain; 02/08/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Martin,
I sent you an email regarding your taxidermy.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have a good time. Take along an extra, little, point and shoot camera with a big card in it. Give it to the PH and tell him to take any pictures that strike his fancy. It's interesting to see your trip thru someone else's eyes.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take half the clothes and twice the money. Shoot straight and have the time of your life!

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have fun and enjoy every second it goes by waaay to fast!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
Have a good time. Take along an extra, little, point and shoot camera with a big card in it. Give it to the PH and tell him to take any pictures that strike his fancy. It's interesting to see your trip thru someone else's eyes.
Bfly

+1
I have guided and did this for a client, its interesting what is around us, but see differently.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
Take half the clothes and twice the money. Shoot straight and have the time of your life!

Mike

That's what I was trying to say but you said it better!

Hunting For Adventure
Tom Addleman (816) 213-6646
[email protected]
To book your next great hunting adventure - www.huntingforadventure.com
D
dae Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
There may be a little glitch or two somewhere in your trip. Don't let them upset you, they always work out.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shot Placement!! The "vital area" on all African PG is farther forward than on North American Whitetail's and the front leg/shoulder bone structure is different.

On broadside shots - aim straight up the front leg about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up the body. Most NA hunters nearly always instinctively revert to the "behind the shoulder" like on WT's and end up with nothing but lungs, liver or guts.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What dae said.
There will be little glitches here and there but just remember this little phrase. TIA, This is Africa. It comes from a troubled time in SA but it is still very applicable to your journey now.
Have a great time. My wife, son and I went last June and can't wait to go again. It truly is a special place.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
KMG,

I know perfectly well that May is the start of the South African winter/dry season.

This hunter is going RIGHT NOW, in the middle of your summer.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My advice is for you to stay home and let me go in your place.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,397
Posts18,506,922
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.