Home
Posted By: Mtwoodson Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
My sweetie is looking at a very nice job on Oahu. Doing some reading, it seems like it's a gun-owner's nightmare. And of course some of mine are black, with big mags, etc. Any first hand experience out there? Thanks
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
I've seen that Judman hunts there. You might PM him for info.
Posted By: las Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
Oahu sucks. Even for Liberal Paradise. Almost half the people speak English. The rest are Japanese tourists. O was our first Hawaii trip - never gone back other than passing throug the airport to/from other islands..

All the other islands are so much better. (Been to most of them several times.)

No experience over there with guns or hunting, but I'm sure they make it complicated. Still- they are bound by Bill of Rights. How bad can it be?

Do some research.

I can take about 4 -5 days there myself, before I get claustraphobic. Those are SMALL islands. Nearly all in private ownership or Federal parks.

Alaska may have ruint me for anything other than warming my bones there, midwinter. Sometimes twice...... smile

Take the job.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
Spear guns are an option.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
I've been there a few times, wife's family is from there. You won't get a straight answer here do the leg work.
Posted By: Tuco Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
I was only in Hawaii once, on a business trip several years ago, but have known many people either from Hawaii or who lived on Oahu for many years. The latter were people who initially vacationed there, fell in love with the place, and eventually relocated to Hawaii permanently. Without exception, everyone I know who's lived in Hawaii tell me they suffered from cabin fever and were glad when they were finally able to put the place in their rear view mirror. The novelty of being trapped on a tiny "tropical paradise" apparently wears off pretty quickly. Mind you, I don't speak from personal experience and am merely passing on what I've repeatedly been told by people who've been there/done that.
Posted By: JakeBlues Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
I would enjoy it because I love scuba diving and would probably log a couple hundred dives in a year. But all the transients suck and everything is super expensive.
I’ve visited a few times, mags are limited to 10 rounds, no CCW permits, you have to register all firearms with the state. It’s crowded and really expensive. The locals don’t like outsiders much, except the $$ . Ouahu is really crowded, most of Hawaii’s population lives on that island. Traffic can suck, power is .35 a kwh, so ac costs a fortune to run.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
Had a good friend, from Southern Oregon, him and his wife went over there for big underground fiber optic job...came home before the job was over, hated it.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
Nice place to visit.........
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
I lived on Oahu for 5 months and I really enjoyed it. I lived on the opposite side from Honolulu and it was more rural. There is some decent hog hunting near Kahuku. Caught some crop for being white but most people were really nice if you made an effort to get to know them.

Bb
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
Each island has a different flavor. Oahu is by far the busiest. There are still nice places there, but I have no desire to visit again, too crowded. Kauai and Hawaii are both pretty quiet. Maui is kind a blend of Oahu and Hawaii. Maui is my favorite island.

Seafood can be spectacular.

There is more hunting on the Hawaiian islands than one would think. I think it is expensive, if you hire a guide.

If you are a resident, you can own firearms, at least long guns. From what I understand, it isn't worth the paperwork to bring your own if you are visiting and hunting. I know the outfitter I considered for goat/sheep ($1500 USD for a feral animal and one day!) had a Kimber Hunter in 7mm-08 for clients to use.

I have considered if I could live there. The islands are lovely. As one helicopter pilot on Maui said, the average temp is 82F, and the average humidity is 82%. I have decided that I like seasonal changes too much. That way I can complain about the weather when it is -20C or +30C (86F). Our Canadian dollar sucks, the cost of real estate with the exchange would be harsh.

One thing about Oahu, it has (or had) a pretty good transit system. We never rented a car, yet we went to Pearl Harbour, Hanauma Bay (very crowded), and circumnavigated the island on the transit bus. If you lived and worked downtown Honolulu, you may not need a car.

I would explore the opportunity and check the islands out yourself.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
My only experience with Oahu was the airport to get a connecting flight to the Big Island. My wife was adamant about us not staying on Oahu for our vacation, she knows me and my not nice feelings for crowds.

Having said that, are you going to be working too, or will you be able to play all day? Other then being a house-husband like Travis grin.

If you're going to be free to do stuff, I might take a chance on the move. Does your wife tolerate crowds and traffic and such? As others have mentioned, there are some fantastic recreational opportunities, snorkeling, diving, fishing, hunting on most all of the Islands.

I explored a couple of jobs on the island of Hawai'i. Our vacation was wonderful, I love the ocean having grown up in SoCal, I love the idea of doing business in shorts, sandals, and a Hawaiian shirt, no friggen suit & tie necessary. Then again, it's a much much bigger island. I also liked the idea of no need for heat or A/C (for me). When friends asked me about "getting away for the day" I asked them back, "When was the last time you got away for a 6 hour drive? Once a year? " The highway on the Big Island takes about that long to circumnavigate and the two sides of the Island are completely different climates. You'd not have that luxury on Oahu though, but you can always take a day or weekend trip to that one, or the other islands.

Like others have said, some of (all??) the firearm regs suck. Maybe worse than Cali. At least I can own and carry a pistol here.

Good luck with your decision making process.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
I have never left middle Tn
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
I call BS.

I'm still miffed you didn't look me up when you were out this way.

I'd have asked you to bring me a jar of maters from that garden you work so hard on for the missus.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
My folks spent 28 years over there, after my step dad retired out of the Air Force over there...in 1974 after 26 yrs...

If you go over there, I'd leave your firearms back in West Va....you'll be back home faster than you think....
Wife and I were there once, in Kauai and Maui. Nice beaches, great coffee and sea salt but we've have had better times in Mexico. Much less expensive but probably not a good place to be now. Wouldn't want to live in either place, think I'll stay in Alaska!
Posted By: DMc Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
Attended U of Hawaii before transferring to TCU. (From Most liberal to most conservative school shocker). Avoid Waikiki. It's strictly for tourist and you'll be charged as such. Instead, go to the North Shore for beach activities. Evenings can be fun there also. Watch for beach parties with coconuts, sugar cane, and pineapple. (All locally grown)

Way back in the day, you could actually swim in the "toilet bowl", but I understand it's closed now. It's still interesting to see. "Poly Lookout" is interesting. Back in the 70's there were sugar cane flumes build above ground to float the cane from the mountains to the coast. You could take an inflatable and float in them for miles and miles. (But that may have been on the big Island. Back then we could island hop as students for $5.00 one way. Stateside, McDonald's hamburgers were $.65 cents, in Hawaii they were $2.65. Expect to pay lots more for everything. You'll see tons of Asians, as it's a vacation destination for them also. My roommate was Filipino.

Sacred Falls was an awesome hike and gorgeous place to swim.

Enjoy your trip!!!!
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
I wouldn't go there on a bet. It can sink into the Pacific.
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
Lived on Oahu for a little over 3 years.

If you have school age children, don't do it.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
Oahu has the gun laws of Chicago, the homeless problem of San Fran, the prices of NYC, and the population of Tokyo (Honolulu street signs are in English and Japanese, honest.) The other islands have fewer homeless camps, but all the other stuff. Hawaii is truly a tropical paradise - that liberals have ruined.

Oh, and there are no more pineapple or sugar cane operations. All gone. Still a surprising number of cattle ranches, all locked up by a few families.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
Nothing wrong with the islands that a large tsunami wouldn’t fix.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
Welfare Island....
No thanks....

Might tip over like Guam.....

Watched enough Dog the Bounty Hunter to confirm the place sucks...
Seems like half the high rise buildings and homes are welfare housing.
I have built better hooches worldwide than some of them squatter shacks on the show also.

Seems like alot of lowlife scum live their for the most part.

Thanks Dog for the show and reminding millions watching it where our tax dollars go.......

Posted By: renegade50 Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
JMO...
I think the Japanese go their mostly to take pictures of Pearl Harbor.
As some sort of " victory" thing in their noggins....
And they think their pictures are some sort of remembrance/ honor to the Japanese spy,s on the Island leading up to pearl harbor.

IMO
Their oughta be Mock ups of Little Boy and Fat Man by the tour bus
Picture stop areas.
Just as a Reminder for their little thing they got going on in their minds while taking pics of pearl harbor.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
I have to say that is not the impression I got there a few years ago. The Pearl Harbor Museum is in fact very well done, not discriminatory against the Japanese, and the movie presentation simply laid out the facts with no bias. Not one Japanese person in the audience seemed to be anything but respectful and subdued by it all.

That also held for the tour of the Missouri, during which the details of the kamakazi pilot's death and naval burial were described in a straightforward and honorable way.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 07/31/20
One person in congress said islands can flip if over populate on one side too much. Be careful.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 08/01/20
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
One person in congress said islands can flip if over populate on one side too much. Be careful.

Hank Johnson?
Posted By: las Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 08/01/20
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I have to say that is not the impression I got there a few years ago. The Pearl Harbor Museum is in fact very well done, not discriminatory against the Japanese, and the movie presentation simply laid out the facts with no bias. Not one Japanese person in the audience seemed to be anything but respectful and subdued by it all.

That also held for the tour of the Missouri, during which the details of the kamakazi pilot's death and naval burial were described in a straightforward and honorable way.

Also my experience.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 08/01/20
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Lived on Oahu for a little over 3 years.

If you have school age children, don't do it.

++++++++!!!
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Oahu has the gun laws of Chicago, the homeless problem of San Fran, the prices of NYC, and the population of Tokyo (Honolulu street signs are in English and Japanese, honest.) The other islands have fewer homeless camps, but all the other stuff. Hawaii is truly a tropical paradise - that liberals have ruined.

Oh, and there are no more pineapple or sugar cane operations. All gone. Still a surprising number of cattle ranches, all locked up by a few families.

I have seen huge pineapple plantations on Oahu and the big island.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 08/01/20
It's absolutely amazing to me, all these useless opinions about whether to live there or not from people who have never lived there and don't know jackshit about owning a firearm there. I only spent a month there and don't think I know jackshit, either.

OP, I suggest you talk to some howlie like my high school bud who has lived there for over 40 years. He's on Kauai, though.
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

Hank Johnson?

Yup...
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 08/01/20
Originally Posted by renegade50
JMO...
I think the Japanese go their mostly to take pictures of Pearl Harbor.
As some sort of " victory" thing in their noggins....
And they think their pictures are some sort of remembrance/ honor to the Japanese spy,s on the Island leading up to pearl harbor.

IMO
Their oughta be Mock ups of Little Boy and Fat Man by the tour bus
Picture stop areas.
Just as a Reminder for their little thing they got going on in their minds while taking pics of pearl harbor.

You ever been at the place, or are you just spewing horsesheet fantasy pseudo patriotism? I've solemnly stood above the Arizona and wept over countrymen lost as a result of a despicable, unforgivable sneak attack. With but a sample of one I can tell you that not a single Japanese national there watching oil bubbling to the surface from the depths below displayed anything but regret, sorrow, reverence and shame. They go to take triumphant pics of the devastation and death their forefathers wrought, do they? Bunch o' farkin booshat, dude.
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 08/01/20
LAst year, My wife and I were looking at a HAwaii vacation, and I figured I'd get some hunting in, Maybe Mouflan, and maybe Axis Deer (?) THe "hunt" prices were fairly high (dily rates and trophy fees) and the animals are hunted on different islands - here's the point: Each ISLAND you have to register your firearms with local police so they can decide if you're allowed to maintain possession or not.

I think that's why there's more bow/ cross bow, black powder hunting than centerfire rifle hunting. Also, the island where the mouflan are, they government was trying to eradicate them - that's what I was told by the guide(s) I was talking to.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 08/01/20
'So as I understand it you've never stepped foot on any of the Hawaiian islands but know everything there is to know about the history and culture and people because you took in a few episodes of Donk the Bounty Schmucker? Cracka please you gotta' do better than that. Ay yo Slum you need to school your boy some. He be makin' you TN cats sound dumber than JamesJr and his crew.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 08/01/20
I love Oahu, and the other islands,

For about a 2 week stretch in the middle of winter,

Don't know that I could live there.

Guns and Hunting? very little of either available there.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 08/01/20
Tell her to look elsewhere, it's the land of the lazy dopehead .gov in the mailbox, liberal, sand filled chithole, taxed to death, extreme high cost of living, nothing to hunt, state gov full of commies, I'd rather take my chances in hell.

Not moving or going anywhere I cant shoot something for the table!
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 08/01/20
Captain Cook found it unfriendly to tourists.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 08/01/20
Nothing to hunt?

Columbia blacktail, moufalon, axis deer, feral goats, feral sheep, pigs, wild cattle (Vancouver bulls), turkey, pheasant.

No guns?

There are gun clubs and gun stores (been to a couple).

As almost all animals hunted are feral, the seasons are fairly broad, so lots of opportunity on State and private land.

Is it like the mainland? No, but that is part of the attraction, great weather, great beaches, arguably English speaking, relatively low crime (mind your Ps and Qs and you don't have to fear for your life as a tourist), not harassed on the beach by some peasant trying to sell you straw hats.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 08/01/20
Biggest issue is funding a commie government by living, working or vacationing there, the same POS government that whipped together a fake birth certificate for the worst usurper muzzie pos the world has ever known, one barry soetoro!
Posted By: Brazos Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 08/01/20
Moved to Honolulu in 1964 at the age of 12, lived there when I joined the Army in '71.

Wife and I went back in '76 and stayed a couple of years.

Loved it, great place to grow up back then. Dad had guns and we went to the Koko Head firing range often.

Haven't been back since 2000, still liked it then.

Looks like there might be a real "homeless" problem now.

My advice would be to go spend a week or two on Oahu before you decide.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 08/01/20
Originally Posted by Mtwoodson
My sweetie is looking at a very nice job on Oahu. Doing some reading, it seems like it's a gun-owner's nightmare. And of course some of mine are black, with big mags, etc. Any first hand experience out there? Thanks

I had a friend take a "dream job" on Oahu years ago, and it was so expensive to live he could hardly eat. You couldn't pay me enough to live there, but if she takes the job, she'd better do her homework about living expenses. My buddy found out "paradise" is where you make it.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 08/01/20

Spent two weeks island hopping a decade back. Like mentioned above, we liked Kauai MUCH better that Oahu. Would have moved there in a heart beat if a job had presented itself.

Wife's High School BFF spent 2 or 3 years there when her husband PCS'ed there 30 years ago. They loved it. The impression I got was that culturally, much like moving into a mountain community. If you go in with a "holier than thou", "I'm the smart guy" attitude, you will have a tough time. If you go in low key, respectful, try to assimilate the culture, you'll do O.K.

If the employer is paying the relo costs, go for it !
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 08/01/20
I guess the bottom line is: you'll never know if you never go.

You might love it, you might hate it. (Or worst case, each of you feels the other.) What the heck, she changed jobs to get this one, right?

You pretty much can't be into guns and live in Hawaii.
Originally Posted by Tuco
I was only in Hawaii once, on a business trip several years ago, but have known many people either from Hawaii or who lived on Oahu for many years. The latter were people who initially vacationed there, fell in love with the place, and eventually relocated to Hawaii permanently. Without exception, everyone I know who's lived in Hawaii tell me they suffered from cabin fever and were glad when they were finally able to put the place in their rear view mirror. The novelty of being trapped on a tiny "tropical paradise" apparently wears off pretty quickly. Mind you, I don't speak from personal experience and am merely passing on what I've repeatedly been told by people who've been there/done that.

Yeah, Howard Sprague tried it, and he lost his mind after only a few months.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Posted By: Mtwoodson Re: Hawaii. How bad is it? - 08/06/20
Thanks most for the 2nd, 3rd and 5th and stories and opinions.
Thanks to a couple of you for real experience.
© 24hourcampfire