-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Moved to Honolulu in 1964 at the age of 12, lived there when I joined the Army in '71.

Wife and I went back in '76 and stayed a couple of years.

Loved it, great place to grow up back then. Dad had guns and we went to the Koko Head firing range often.

Haven't been back since 2000, still liked it then.

Looks like there might be a real "homeless" problem now.

My advice would be to go spend a week or two on Oahu before you decide.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mtwoodson
My sweetie is looking at a very nice job on Oahu. Doing some reading, it seems like it's a gun-owner's nightmare. And of course some of mine are black, with big mags, etc. Any first hand experience out there? Thanks

I had a friend take a "dream job" on Oahu years ago, and it was so expensive to live he could hardly eat. You couldn't pay me enough to live there, but if she takes the job, she'd better do her homework about living expenses. My buddy found out "paradise" is where you make it.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
My sweetie is looking at a very nice job on Oahu. Doing some reading, it seems like it's a gun-owner's nightmare. And of course some of mine are black, with big mags, etc. Any first hand experience out there? Thanks

Spent two weeks island hopping a decade back. Like mentioned above, we liked Kauai MUCH better that Oahu. Would have moved there in a heart beat if a job had presented itself.

Wife's High School BFF spent 2 or 3 years there when her husband PCS'ed there 30 years ago. They loved it. The impression I got was that culturally, much like moving into a mountain community. If you go in with a "holier than thou", "I'm the smart guy" attitude, you will have a tough time. If you go in low key, respectful, try to assimilate the culture, you'll do O.K.

If the employer is paying the relo costs, go for it !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess the bottom line is: you'll never know if you never go.

You might love it, you might hate it. (Or worst case, each of you feels the other.) What the heck, she changed jobs to get this one, right?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

You pretty much can't be into guns and live in Hawaii.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Tuco
I was only in Hawaii once, on a business trip several years ago, but have known many people either from Hawaii or who lived on Oahu for many years. The latter were people who initially vacationed there, fell in love with the place, and eventually relocated to Hawaii permanently. Without exception, everyone I know who's lived in Hawaii tell me they suffered from cabin fever and were glad when they were finally able to put the place in their rear view mirror. The novelty of being trapped on a tiny "tropical paradise" apparently wears off pretty quickly. Mind you, I don't speak from personal experience and am merely passing on what I've repeatedly been told by people who've been there/done that.

Yeah, Howard Sprague tried it, and he lost his mind after only a few months.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks most for the 2nd, 3rd and 5th and stories and opinions.
Thanks to a couple of you for real experience.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,432
Posts18,507,574
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.