Home
Posted By: mirage243 RV Satellite Question - 11/02/20
Wife just talked me into buying an RV, wanna get the satellite dome for the roof. I wanna just be able to take a Direct TV box from home. Anyone got reviews on the best roof mounted satellite dome for Direct TV?
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: RV Satellite Question - 11/03/20
A friend of mine has a satellite dish mounted on a tripod. When he gets to his campsite, he just takes the dish and sets it up outside his rv, obviously knows about where to point it, and he uses his home box. I never see him spending a lot of time setting it up so it must not be that difficult.

I think DISH makes the "tailgater" antenna, you can set most anywhere.
I use the Winegard Travler, have had it for 10 years, it works great, I bring the Direct TV box from house to RV plug it in and away we go.
Posted By: whodat Re: RV Satellite Question - 11/03/20
Might want to reconsider the roof mount and go with the tripod mount. We started out with a Winegard roof mount, and eventually ended up purchasing a tripod mount due to tree cover interference.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: RV Satellite Question - 11/03/20
Tripod, & one cinder block under it to secure it.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: RV Satellite Question - 11/03/20
Definitely on a tri-pod. You never know what the tree situation is going to be in the mountains or RV park. If you are thinking about doing any dry camping I would also make a strong suggestion to get a trailer with solar panels on the roof and make sure you get 2- 6 volt deep cycle batteries. Do not let them take you into one 12 volt.
Posted By: Redneck Re: RV Satellite Question - 11/03/20
Originally Posted by whodat
Might want to reconsider the roof mount and go with the tripod mount. We started out with a Winegard roof mount, and eventually ended up purchasing a tripod mount due to tree cover interference.
Excellent advice there...
Posted By: mirage243 Re: RV Satellite Question - 11/03/20
Thanks fellas, always pays to ask the Fire.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: RV Satellite Question - 11/03/20
As much as I don't like Dish, I use the Tailgator. It allows me to stop billing when I know I'll not be traveling. The dish automatically locks on to a satellite based on zip code. I would go with DirecTV but they don't have a good HD solution for RV's.
Posted By: KFWA Re: RV Satellite Question - 11/03/20
no comment on the dish but there used to be an advantage/disadvantage of telling DTV (or Dish I guess) you were in an RV with no fixed address versus having it use your zip for local channels.

I don't remember the specifics but I'm sure someone else can tell you
Posted By: mirage243 Re: RV Satellite Question - 11/03/20
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
As much as I don't like Dish, I use the Tailgator. It allows me to stop billing when I know I'll not be traveling. The dish automatically locks on to a satellite based on zip code. I would go with DirecTV but they don't have a good HD solution for RV's.

So you can turn it on and off through out the year?
Posted By: memtb Re: RV Satellite Question - 11/03/20
We’ve been using a Winegard Trav’ler dish satellite ( auto search for satellite) since around 2010 with both Dish and Direct TV, we presently have Dish. It has been a great system. With the Dish network, we carry the “Wally” in the RV, and only pay the monthly note when we are using the RV. You call, and they activate the “Wally”!

We camped about 15 miles from Meteetsee, Wy (on a dirt road @ about 7000 feet elevation). We watch Tucker every night, and will be following the election returns tonite.....at least for a little while!

Many years ago, we had a satellite dish mounted on a tripod with a cable to the RV. It was strictly a manual operation, and pretty much a PIA. Now....we set-up camp, fire-up the generator or the inverter, turn on the TV, the Wally, and push the start button on the satellite antenna control.....in about 10 minutes, it’s linked to the satellite and you’re watching tv!

It’s my preferred way of “roughing-it”!

The remote tripod mounted system is great.....until some cows move through and use it as a “rubbing post”! Ask us how we are aware of this potential downfall of the tripod on the ground.
memtb
Anchor that tripod to something sturdy with a chain or a cable lock- - - -ditto for portable generators- - - - -it would only take a few seconds to do a snatch and run with it, and some of the campgrounds where I've stayed on occasion were full of meth heads who wouldn't be above a little larceny.

Posted By: jnyork Re: RV Satellite Question - 11/03/20
Originally Posted by whodat

Go no further.

Friend had a 300K motor home with one of those automatic antennas on the roof, total PITA, always needing work, got replaced twice under warranty. $2500 option that wasn't worth the powder to blow it to hell .
Posted By: MM879 Re: RV Satellite Question - 11/03/20
I just use a smart TV and the iPhone.
Posted By: Traveler52 Re: RV Satellite Question - 11/03/20
We have been using the Traveler automatic for 8 years not no problems.
Dome's will not receive HD unless your using Dish.
Posted By: Redneck Re: RV Satellite Question - 11/03/20
Originally Posted by memtb

The remote tripod mounted system is great.....until some cows move through and use it as a “rubbing post”! Ask us how we are aware of this potential downfall of the tripod on the ground.
memtb
ROTFLMAO.... Why in hell are you camping in a pasture??? But you do make a good point as something to consider - but more from deer or raccoons than cattle..
Posted By: memtb Re: RV Satellite Question - 11/07/20
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by memtb

memtb
ROTFLMAO.... Why in hell are you camping in a pasture??? But you do make a good point as something to consider - but more from deer or raccoons than cattle..

Redneck, We have lots of free-range cattle in Wyoming. They inhabit both BLM and National Forest! They seem to be drawn “like a moth to a flame” to your RV! grin memtb
© 24hourcampfire