Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wife just talked me into buying an RV, wanna get the satellite dome for the roof. I wanna just be able to take a Direct TV box from home. Anyone got reviews on the best roof mounted satellite dome for Direct TV?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A friend of mine has a satellite dish mounted on a tripod. When he gets to his campsite, he just takes the dish and sets it up outside his rv, obviously knows about where to point it, and he uses his home box. I never see him spending a lot of time setting it up so it must not be that difficult.

I think DISH makes the "tailgater" antenna, you can set most anywhere.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I use the Winegard Travler, have had it for 10 years, it works great, I bring the Direct TV box from house to RV plug it in and away we go.

Kevin
NRA Lifetime Member
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Might want to reconsider the roof mount and go with the tripod mount. We started out with a Winegard roof mount, and eventually ended up purchasing a tripod mount due to tree cover interference.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Tripod, & one cinder block under it to secure it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Definitely on a tri-pod. You never know what the tree situation is going to be in the mountains or RV park. If you are thinking about doing any dry camping I would also make a strong suggestion to get a trailer with solar panels on the roof and make sure you get 2- 6 volt deep cycle batteries. Do not let them take you into one 12 volt.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by whodat
Might want to reconsider the roof mount and go with the tripod mount. We started out with a Winegard roof mount, and eventually ended up purchasing a tripod mount due to tree cover interference.
Excellent advice there...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks fellas, always pays to ask the Fire.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
As much as I don't like Dish, I use the Tailgator. It allows me to stop billing when I know I'll not be traveling. The dish automatically locks on to a satellite based on zip code. I would go with DirecTV but they don't have a good HD solution for RV's.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
no comment on the dish but there used to be an advantage/disadvantage of telling DTV (or Dish I guess) you were in an RV with no fixed address versus having it use your zip for local channels.

I don't remember the specifics but I'm sure someone else can tell you

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
As much as I don't like Dish, I use the Tailgator. It allows me to stop billing when I know I'll not be traveling. The dish automatically locks on to a satellite based on zip code. I would go with DirecTV but they don't have a good HD solution for RV's.

So you can turn it on and off through out the year?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We’ve been using a Winegard Trav’ler dish satellite ( auto search for satellite) since around 2010 with both Dish and Direct TV, we presently have Dish. It has been a great system. With the Dish network, we carry the “Wally” in the RV, and only pay the monthly note when we are using the RV. You call, and they activate the “Wally”!

We camped about 15 miles from Meteetsee, Wy (on a dirt road @ about 7000 feet elevation). We watch Tucker every night, and will be following the election returns tonite.....at least for a little while!

Many years ago, we had a satellite dish mounted on a tripod with a cable to the RV. It was strictly a manual operation, and pretty much a PIA. Now....we set-up camp, fire-up the generator or the inverter, turn on the TV, the Wally, and push the start button on the satellite antenna control.....in about 10 minutes, it’s linked to the satellite and you’re watching tv!

It’s my preferred way of “roughing-it”!

The remote tripod mounted system is great.....until some cows move through and use it as a “rubbing post”! Ask us how we are aware of this potential downfall of the tripod on the ground.
memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/03/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Anchor that tripod to something sturdy with a chain or a cable lock- - - -ditto for portable generators- - - - -it would only take a few seconds to do a snatch and run with it, and some of the campgrounds where I've stayed on occasion were full of meth heads who wouldn't be above a little larceny.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whodat

Go no further.

Friend had a 300K motor home with one of those automatic antennas on the roof, total PITA, always needing work, got replaced twice under warranty. $2500 option that wasn't worth the powder to blow it to hell .

Last edited by jnyork; 11/03/20.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just use a smart TV and the iPhone.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have been using the Traveler automatic for 8 years not no problems.
Dome's will not receive HD unless your using Dish.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by memtb

The remote tripod mounted system is great.....until some cows move through and use it as a “rubbing post”! Ask us how we are aware of this potential downfall of the tripod on the ground.
memtb
ROTFLMAO.... Why in hell are you camping in a pasture??? But you do make a good point as something to consider - but more from deer or raccoons than cattle..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by memtb

memtb
ROTFLMAO.... Why in hell are you camping in a pasture??? But you do make a good point as something to consider - but more from deer or raccoons than cattle..

Redneck, We have lots of free-range cattle in Wyoming. They inhabit both BLM and National Forest! They seem to be drawn “like a moth to a flame” to your RV! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 270cowboy, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.