Home
I may have threw a bid at a 308 I thought I might want but had no real intention of buying a few days ago.

Just found out I have a 308 coming.

Anyone else recklessly spending their discretionary income?

MM
A couple of times, bought a nice early Sako L-61. 30-06 for 400.00 about 5 years ago. It slam fires, haven’t gotten it repaired yet.
A Rem 700 LTR in 223 that the price was too low.

I jokingly bid.

I own it.

OTOH, a few bid on that I got outbid, a big relief, maybe alcohol related.

Ran into an old friend at a Dove shoot & he was sporting a new 20 ga. SXS. He said drinking & surfing the web caused it. But he liked it.
I was working on a Marlin .375 and there were 2 of them on the sight. I put a bid on one and a nibble on the other. They are both in my gun safe right now. I thought there was no way the 2nd would sell for the nibble. No one else bid.
Have a great day.
Jim
I won a Spike's AR for ridiculously low bid . Yeah, a few beers were involved. Forgot about it 'til GB sent me an email.
More than once.
Throw a ridiculously low bid at something … wind up with it.

Hasn’t happened at all in the last two years!
What are the details of the .308? I may be interested if you decide you don't want it.
Buddy bought a $3,750.00 Browning 20ga golden clays.
Alcohol related.
My old compadre used to tell me a bottle of bourbon and a credit card are a bad combination around midnight
Several years ago, I was looking for a Remington 581

I looked on gunbroker, found one missing the magazine and bid on it for $50.00

3 days later I found one locally with 3 extra magazines....for $150.00

Then I got the notice from gun broker that I won...lol

I love them both
So, are y’all the ones buying the $1600 Remington 870’s????
Originally Posted by fburgtx
So, are y’all the ones buying the $1600 Remington 870’s????

Hahaha.
Originally Posted by High_Noon
What are the details of the .308? I may be interested if you decide you don't want it.

Beat to heck savage 99. And yes a little alcohol and a little hissy fit of a mood may have been related.

MM
Clicked on the wrong listing and bought a left handed long action Remington 700 BDL stock. Guy had both a short and a long action stock. I wanted the short but clicked on the wrong buy it now listing. The pictures were taken from all the same angles. My error but the guy wouldn’t let me exchange. So I have a long action left handed Remington 700 stock I’ll never use.
Originally Posted by burt2506
Several years ago, I was looking for a Remington 581

I looked on gunbroker, found one missing the magazine and bid on it for $50.00

3 days later I found one locally with 3 extra magazines....for $150.00

Then I got the notice from gun broker that I won...lol

I love them both

You dollar-cost average them to $100ea + 1 spare mag and you’re stylin’. They’re going for close to $300 around here now.
Never bought unintentionally but have indeed prayed aloud to be outbid.
Originally Posted by shootem

Hahha, I've been in a similar situation.

Once I was bidding on 2 like guns from the same seller, both auctions ending at the same time. I had an idea what I though they would go for (~$3.5k) and figured bidding on both would double my chances of winning one, right?

Suddenly, at close to auction's end, it occurred to me that I may have set my max bid too high, and was likely to win both. laugh

Luckily a last minute flurry of bidding activity saved me on one, but, at least I did win the other. smile
I’ve been glad I’ve been outbid a couple of time too
I bought a 1931 Browning A5 in 16 gauge. solid rib gun. My FIL new I was looking for a Sweet Sixteen. Wife says Dad called and there is a 16ga. Browning A5 going reasonable on GB. I was busy and didn't even look at it , just bid on it and forgot about it.
Long story short , it was not a Sweet Sixteen LOL but it was a 2 9/16" gun with a suicide safety.
Put a new 2 3/4 barrel extension on it, opened the ejection port, but it would still jam about every other shot. Wasn't particularly enamored with it so it went down the road. Broke about even on it and learned to double check behind FIL on gun purchases LOL.
My 2 boys have claimed both 581s...technically I am fresh out

But yes...they are pricey.

For a cheap rifle, they generally shoot very well.

Burt2506
This was the second one for me. The other was a few years back , put a $800 bid on a browning 71 carbine. Week later got an email. Was not upset about that one.
I once threw a penny bid on two bulk lots of brass, over 1k each of rifle brass by the same seller. I won them both. I emailed him and asked if he would combine shipping lol. He didn't respond, I paid the $20.02 for 1k 308 and 243 brass. I kinda felt bad for the guy, kinda.
Originally Posted by shootem

You and me both!
Just had a guy back out of a bid like that. He wanted the gun for his dad, won it, his dad didn’t want it so he backed out. Still working on getting my fees back from GB. He was a new guy, only a couple feedback, now he has negative feedback and has been reported as a non paying bidder.

Old70
I call it “BWI” Browsing While Intoxicated
You guys are cracking me up- and yes, I've been in a position of hoping someone would outbid me so I didn't have to fight with the wife over my latest purchase...

Not Gunbroker, but an online auction I saw a Kimber of Oregon 82 S Series that looked really nice. Great wood, etc... I was watching the bidding and it was extremely low for what should have been a $2500 rifle so I put in a max bid of $1500 while it was still at around $1200, just to get the bidding going again and identify who was bidding... wouldn't you know it, there was only one more bid and it was an automatic max bid for someone and nobody bid over my max bid so I ended up with it. Funny part was I was talking to my buddy on the phone who is the Kimber expert about the listing and we were both watching it when it was winding down and discussing guns in general and I just knew I was going to be outbid. We both laughed our butts off when I realize I had bought this thing for a bargain price... he has been trying to buy it from me ever since...
Never unintentionally bid on one but sometimes you feel like you just have to bid when you see a deal going by even if it's something you don't really really want.

As I write this someone's about to get a Browning SA-22 for $390 - Japanese made but still a pretty rifle. Watched a 4" S&W Model 34 in the box with manual, cleaning stuff and the other goodies go for $680 a few weeks ago, most of them are priced up a good $200-300 higher than that these days.
I threw opening bids on a Lefty MRC X2 280 Rem over the 4th of July one year, and a Lefty Ruger Hawkeye 270 Win just before Christmas another year. I ended up with both of them. Neither rifle showed much use. I figured my odds were near zero. It sure used to be different .
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Beat to heck savage 99. And yes a little alcohol and a little hissy fit of a mood may have been related.

MM

Ha! Think I'll pass on that one, but thanks for the info. You must have been lit!
I've done it a couple times, too much beer I suppose.
Been there and done that and got the guns to prove it. Have said many prayers to be outbid as well after some alcohol involved surfing as well.
CT
Kinda...No, really arm askeered of internet gun auctions.
But I have been on both sides at in person auctions.

Bid on a Mark V in 300 Hammond 15 years ago.
Mostly because buyers were being stingy and wasting time, so I made
things move. At $1300 installed, my bid.

My hands went in my pockets and made fists.

What the hell would I do with a PITA wildcat that weighs a ton?
It was a deceased friend's, it didn't even shoot well!
Into one right now, I'm the high bidder, don't really care one way or the other if I'm outbid........... I don't think it will last...

Wouldn't mind having it though.

Best part NO shipping, shop is a half hour away...........
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]post picture
There is a reason they give out beer cozies.
Nope
There may have been a few. They all worked out, luckily im pretty cheap most of the time. Did pay $700+ for a run of the mill 1100 in 12 gauge a while back. Barrel code came back to the year i was born, have a weird thing about wanting guns from 73. Still wouldn't have hurt my feelings to be outbid though
I was watching an A.H.Fox on auction and bidding was pretty slow, so I thought I'd help it along. Wasn't planning to own it, but wasn't too put out that I won. I would have kept it, but, fitting a new stock to it would have cost 2/3 of what I paid for it. The good new is, eight years later, I put it on consignment at local gun store, and after stores' commission, I walked away with $200 profit. How often does a person buy high and sell higher?
Not unintentional but regretted a bid which eventually won the auction. I wrote to the seller and offered to pay his fees if he would keep the gun and put it back up for sale but he wouldn't do it. So, I bought it.
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
I may have threw a bid at a 308 I thought I might want but had no real intention of buying a few days ago.

Just found out I have a 308 coming.

Anyone else recklessly spending their discretionary income?

MM

never bought off them.
I saw a tax sale notice for land in the Americus GA newspaper years ago (lived there at the time... late 90s).

One parcel was about 6-7 acres... and a mile or so before Plains, GA. I had driven by it often. It would have been a nice site for a couple of simple homes or even a small hotel (Secret Service/Dignitaries for JC stuff).

The other parcel was 60 acres near Andersonville... middle of nowhere stuff.

I prepared two bids ($1,200/acre for the Plains parcel) IIRC.

...and $100/acre for the parcel way back down a dirt road near a creek.

As I opened the mailbox to drop in the two bids, God tapped me on the shoulder and said "Not so fast... you better go and look at the 60 acre one." So I went to the courthouse and pulled up the plats... jotted down various turns etc.

Down some old old roads, turning left and right I finally found an intersection and on the ratty fence next to the abandoned building read the sign ("CLOSED" Hazardous Materials NO LONG ACCEPTED at this Landfill".
PSA had the Dagger I’ve wanted with RMR cut & high cowitness sight in stock Friday afternoon… don’t need another concealed carry but it’s on the way and now I gotta shop an RMR…

I’m best off just not to look…
Originally Posted by efw
PSA had the Dagger I’ve wanted with RMR cut & high cowitness sight in stock Friday afternoon… don’t need another concealed carry but it’s on the way and now I gotta shop an RMR…

I’m best off just not to look…

Been wanting to try one of those myself
Lol.. Great post…
I saw a BNIB Nosler 48 Long Range Carbon Fiber 6.5cm a few months back going for a ridiculous price in the going, going, gone section & threw a half-arse bid at it figuring the auto bid would jump it up.. 15 min later it was mine.. lol still sitting in my closet….
Funny you should mention this....been cruising for a Freedom Arms 97 to replace the one I sold during a divorce years ago......up pops a sweet model 97 in 41 Mag on Gunbroker two nights ago....4.25" tube, tuned action, express sights, jeweled hammer/trigger, and the aged Ivory Micarta grips.....for a decent price. Showed it to the girlfriend at dinner time....told her it would surely be gone by morning......

Last night at dinner she inquired about the gun and asked if it was gone....I said yes, it has sold already........but what I didn't tell her was that I'm the one that purchased it with buy it now! LOL grin
The one I did that really ticked me off was a Winchester Model 52 Miroku where I threw out a bid that I thought would have been beaten out. Nope, I now have that rifle. I swore off GB and beer it's a very bad mix for me!!!
Originally Posted by frogman43
Funny you should mention this....been cruising for a Freedom Arms 97 to replace the one I sold during a divorce years ago......up pops a sweet model 97 in 41 Mag on Gunbroker two nights ago....4.25" tube, tuned action, express sights, jeweled hammer/trigger, and the aged Ivory Micarta grips.....for a decent price. Showed it to the girlfriend at dinner time....told her it would surely be gone by morning......

Last night at dinner she inquired about the gun and asked if it was gone....I said yes, it has sold already........but what I didn't tell her was that I'm the one that purchased it with buy it now! LOL grin

Nice! grin
Speaking of GunBroker, I'm bidding on a gun now, and I notice the fellow running my bid up has a "D" rating and is a "non-paying" bidder.

That's [bleep] annoying.
Last year I was looking at S&W model 48. They were selling for around mid $900's. I threw a bid on one or $700 but didn't think I'd win. It's now in my safe. There are still deals out there but few and far between.
© 24hourcampfire