Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This was the second one for me. The other was a few years back , put a $800 bid on a browning 71 carbine. Week later got an email. Was not upset about that one.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I once threw a penny bid on two bulk lots of brass, over 1k each of rifle brass by the same seller. I won them both. I emailed him and asked if he would combine shipping lol. He didn't respond, I paid the $20.02 for 1k 308 and 243 brass. I kinda felt bad for the guy, kinda.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootem
Never bought unintentionally but have indeed prayed aloud to be outbid.

You and me both!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Just had a guy back out of a bid like that. He wanted the gun for his dad, won it, his dad didn’t want it so he backed out. Still working on getting my fees back from GB. He was a new guy, only a couple feedback, now he has negative feedback and has been reported as a non paying bidder.

Old70

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I call it “BWI” Browsing While Intoxicated

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys are cracking me up- and yes, I've been in a position of hoping someone would outbid me so I didn't have to fight with the wife over my latest purchase...

Not Gunbroker, but an online auction I saw a Kimber of Oregon 82 S Series that looked really nice. Great wood, etc... I was watching the bidding and it was extremely low for what should have been a $2500 rifle so I put in a max bid of $1500 while it was still at around $1200, just to get the bidding going again and identify who was bidding... wouldn't you know it, there was only one more bid and it was an automatic max bid for someone and nobody bid over my max bid so I ended up with it. Funny part was I was talking to my buddy on the phone who is the Kimber expert about the listing and we were both watching it when it was winding down and discussing guns in general and I just knew I was going to be outbid. We both laughed our butts off when I realize I had bought this thing for a bargain price... he has been trying to buy it from me ever since...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never unintentionally bid on one but sometimes you feel like you just have to bid when you see a deal going by even if it's something you don't really really want.

As I write this someone's about to get a Browning SA-22 for $390 - Japanese made but still a pretty rifle. Watched a 4" S&W Model 34 in the box with manual, cleaning stuff and the other goodies go for $680 a few weeks ago, most of them are priced up a good $200-300 higher than that these days.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I threw opening bids on a Lefty MRC X2 280 Rem over the 4th of July one year, and a Lefty Ruger Hawkeye 270 Win just before Christmas another year. I ended up with both of them. Neither rifle showed much use. I figured my odds were near zero. It sure used to be different .

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Originally Posted by High_Noon
What are the details of the .308? I may be interested if you decide you don't want it.

Beat to heck savage 99. And yes a little alcohol and a little hissy fit of a mood may have been related.

MM

Ha! Think I'll pass on that one, but thanks for the info. You must have been lit!

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've done it a couple times, too much beer I suppose.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Been there and done that and got the guns to prove it. Have said many prayers to be outbid as well after some alcohol involved surfing as well.
CT

There is a reason why you never hear of anyone shooting a 308 winchester AI.... It can't be improved upon!! Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kinda...No, really arm askeered of internet gun auctions.
But I have been on both sides at in person auctions.

Bid on a Mark V in 300 Hammond 15 years ago.
Mostly because buyers were being stingy and wasting time, so I made
things move. At $1300 installed, my bid.

My hands went in my pockets and made fists.

What the hell would I do with a PITA wildcat that weighs a ton?
It was a deceased friend's, it didn't even shoot well!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Into one right now, I'm the high bidder, don't really care one way or the other if I'm outbid........... I don't think it will last...

Wouldn't mind having it though.

Best part NO shipping, shop is a half hour away...........

Last edited by Muffin; 02/14/22.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]post picture
There is a reason they give out beer cozies.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nope

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
There may have been a few. They all worked out, luckily im pretty cheap most of the time. Did pay $700+ for a run of the mill 1100 in 12 gauge a while back. Barrel code came back to the year i was born, have a weird thing about wanting guns from 73. Still wouldn't have hurt my feelings to be outbid though

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I was watching an A.H.Fox on auction and bidding was pretty slow, so I thought I'd help it along. Wasn't planning to own it, but wasn't too put out that I won. I would have kept it, but, fitting a new stock to it would have cost 2/3 of what I paid for it. The good new is, eight years later, I put it on consignment at local gun store, and after stores' commission, I walked away with $200 profit. How often does a person buy high and sell higher?

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Not unintentional but regretted a bid which eventually won the auction. I wrote to the seller and offered to pay his fees if he would keep the gun and put it back up for sale but he wouldn't do it. So, I bought it.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
I may have threw a bid at a 308 I thought I might want but had no real intention of buying a few days ago.

Just found out I have a 308 coming.

Anyone else recklessly spending their discretionary income?

MM

never bought off them.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I saw a tax sale notice for land in the Americus GA newspaper years ago (lived there at the time... late 90s).

One parcel was about 6-7 acres... and a mile or so before Plains, GA. I had driven by it often. It would have been a nice site for a couple of simple homes or even a small hotel (Secret Service/Dignitaries for JC stuff).

The other parcel was 60 acres near Andersonville... middle of nowhere stuff.

I prepared two bids ($1,200/acre for the Plains parcel) IIRC.

...and $100/acre for the parcel way back down a dirt road near a creek.

As I opened the mailbox to drop in the two bids, God tapped me on the shoulder and said "Not so fast... you better go and look at the 60 acre one." So I went to the courthouse and pulled up the plats... jotted down various turns etc.

Down some old old roads, turning left and right I finally found an intersection and on the ratty fence next to the abandoned building read the sign ("CLOSED" Hazardous Materials NO LONG ACCEPTED at this Landfill".

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,159
Posts18,502,978
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.