Home
Posted By: HoundGirl Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
How come you don't see a lot of, if any, minorities, in this country, into the outdoors...or guns...or hunting...ect...?

Maybe I am missing something but I didn't see one black dude in Capital Forest<<<ETA: my experience this fall....my first hunt>>>...nor did I find any asians.....women...or Indians...or etc...

There is only ONE black military dude that frequents my range...and he is awesome, and helpful....but it got me to thinking about the logistics of HOW and WHY people get into all of this...

Why is this, in your opinion?

Heck, I might even be wrong....

HoundGirl
It's got to be somewhat of a cultural thing.

Most people get into hunting through family members and if no one in your family hunts it's a lot less likely that you'll take it up.

That's the end of my theory.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
There was a black guy fishing the bassmaster's classic...
What was that guy's name in Minnesota? Vang? Something like that. Probably a lot of people that wish he HADN'T been into the outdoors.

Good observation, though. Probably a serious cultural connection. Society as a whole doesn't encourage participation in hunting/shooting so if you don't already have a heritage of involvement in the activity, it's less likely that you'll pick it up on your own.

There ARE those two black guys that have their own outdoors show (Kelly Darden and James "Bub" Jackson), plus Dr. Warren Strickland in the archery world.
out of the 6 african americans I work with all 6 are always cold, even in a kitchen running full steam.

They just don't like to be outdoors in the winter
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
There are many Native Americans in the Dakotas, and Minnesota that are hunters, fishermen, and outdoor's men and women- and that has long been a part of their 'culture'.
Posted By: las Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
The percentage of women in outdoor sports/guns/ hunting is on the rise.

Then there is an organization of homosexual gun owners, known as the "Pink Pistols" one chapter of which once posted their leased hunting property with the sign "Trespassers will be violated".

People who shoot guns, hunt, and have a sense of humor can't be all bad...

You are right, HG - it does seem to be an activity dominated out of proportion by white males at this point, and that's really too bad, and something that needs to be worked on. Taking SteelyEyes comment into consideration, we need to reach beyond our immediate families and aquaintences to introduce or facilitate others into the cadre. Which I haven't done much of.
Weedy-....if I would have ventured out on a limb.... I would have said I was speaking mainly in reference to blacks and asians and indians.

I understand the Native American ties to the outdoors, hunting, etc...

I don't buy into the "if your were raised to believe...undertand....venture out into" scenario...although, I might be wrong. But I surely didn't get here via that route...

Anyhow, just interested in hearing everyone's take on why this is a white man's sport/venture.

Don't know the numbers, though, so I might just be wrong....

HoundGirl

It's hard enough to put up with the Redneck slob-holes when your a white guy so I couldn't imagine the frustration of most non-whites when it comes to getting permission, stopping for lunch, etc.....
HG,

Try visiting SE Oregon during deer season. If the guys I work with are any example, there are as many Hispanics in the hills as Caucasians around Malhuer Co.

These folks live to hunt, fish, and shoot just like the rest of us.
I dunnogrin.

I got my theories, though.

Like Las said... It IS cool to see women getting into the crux of it, on their own...but, AGAIN, why are they, or so it seems, primarily WHITE women?!

Immigration, illegal or financed, is a sticky dance....and you can see that in the priorities of those that GET to call this land their home.

Would like to see more involvement from them....

My question is WHY isn't that already a priority? Or am I wrong....

HoundGirl

Posted By: ropes Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
I believe in the South there are lots of Blacks that hunt and especially fish.

Being raised in Cali I have seen many Blacks and Asians hunting and especially fishing. And that was 30 years ago.

Here in Ketchikan we see quite a few Blacks that come up for the Salmon charters.

As for Indians ... if you mean like East Indians I have seen them fishing in Cali and quite a few over the years here in Alaska.

I have never had a Black on a Guided hunt but have had a few Asians over the years.

Also I have never Guided a woman hunter. But have had many women fishing clients.

Actually I take that back about a woman hunter ... well kinda ... can you say undercover cop as in "a Hunt for Justice".
Have met a lot of Asians that live to duck hunt... Most are fishing when the duck season is closed. Good piece of advice in combat fishing zones is to watch the Asians for a while...

Posted By: Jamie Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
HG. Most of the minorities in WA live in the larger cities around puget sound, they are into the city and all that comes with that. Thier friends and family are the same. Birds of a feather flock together kind of thing. Go down town the the 4th AVE tavern and ask how many folks in there hunt, go to the Brooklin tavern in Northriver and you wont find any black folks.

Jamie
Posted By: lhonda Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
Originally Posted by AKGrayling
Have met a lot of Asians that live to duck hunt... Most are fishing when the duck season is closed. Good piece of advice in combat fishing zones is to watch the Asians for a while...

I resemble your first comment! HG: interesting question. I dunno'. Out of my hunting buddies, there are:

2 Syrian
1 Ukrainian
2 Irish
1 English
2 Scottish
1 Italian
1 German
1 French
1 Indian

Several of mixed caucasion backrounds.

Of which, I guess only two look as if they're 'of color' (I'm counting me as one) but I guess your definition of color and mine may be dissimilar. As to the why, I dunno'...

The black guys I know are into fishing and small game hunting. Must be a regional thang...
maybe it has something to do with how many 'minority' members live near you.
Here in North Florida, I see a number of blacks and hispanics at the gun range, and out hunting.
Posted By: Barak Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
I shot next to a couple of black guys at an indoor pistol range once. I remember them quite well. They came in with a big, obviously heavy dufflebag, and when they opened it I could see that it was full of Glocks: probably between 30 and 40 of them. They were of assorted sizes and calibers, and they looked new.

Their MO was like this: select a pistol at random, pop the magazine, and load it with 9mm ammunition. If the ammunition doesn't fit (for example, if it's a 45ACP Glock), put the pistol in the "bad" pile. If it doesn't fit very well (for example, if it's a 40S&W Glock), load it carefully.

Hang a full-size NRA B27 target and run it all the way to the back of the range (25yd). Charge the pistol. If it jams (for example, if it's a 40S&W Glock loaded with 9x19mm ammo), put it in the "bad" pile, choose another pistol, and start over. If it doesn't, hold it out in front of you sideways (gangsta style), tilt your head to the side and talk a few scornful sentences of trash at the target, then fire rapidly until the gun empties or jams.

If it jams (for example, if it's a 40S&W Glock loaded with 9x19mm ammo), put it in the "bad" pile, choose another pistol, and start over. If it doesn't jam, but upon examination the target is unmolested, put it in the "bad" pile, choose another pistol, and start over. If it doesn't jam and there are a few holes in the target, put it in the "good" pile, choose another pistol, and start over.

It was an interesting operation. I kept a close eye on it and made sure I never ran all my pistols dry, just in case. They wound up with two or three guns in the "good" pile, and marveled to each other at the surprisingly low quality of Glock pistols; the implication was that if they had been another, more reliable brand, they wouldn't have had to bring them in and sort through them like that.

Somewhere I still have a couple of the 9mm cases they fired in the 40s, viciously split from mouth to head. I was hoping to find 9mms fired from 357Sigs, but there didn't seem to be any lying around.

It's comforting to know, if I should ever have to go up against black gangstas, the extent of their expertise with guns.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
I worked with and hunted with a black man that hunted . he is a very good hunter using bows. black powder (flintlocks mostly) rifles.and shotguns. and he hunted from the first dove season in sept until the end of primitive muzzleloader season in january. also hunts varmits all year long and is a member in the NRA. a really great person.
Only the rich ruling classes used to hunt in Europe perhaps it hasn't filtered down to the gettos yet. Maybe we could get welfare to pay for some Rem. 700s and some guided hunts. Enrichment comes in more than one way after all.

None of my family hunted and I can only remember going fishing twice as a youngster but, I was lucky enough to have my Uncle Sam send me to Texas and be completely coverted from my damn yankee ways.

Most of the "non-whites" I know fish but, none of them hunt.
Good observation. Maybe we should do something about that. Perhaps the industry could focus some of their marketing in that direction?
In Idaho, I've never seen a black out hunting or fishing. It's probably because we have so few blacks. Our population is small, only about 1.3 million or something like that. I doubt that we have 5000 blacks in the bunch. For some reason, they just haven't migrated this way.

Dick
There are a few black hunters around these parts,but seeing one afield is like seeing an albino deer...they exsist but aint one behind every tree.
Posted By: DMB Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
I think the cultural thing has a lot to do with the low percentage of black shooters and hunters.
However, at deer season here in northern Michigan, there are a lot of black guys from elsewhere who come here to hunt. I see them in the grocery store before and during the season buying food, lots of them, all dressed in hunting clothes like the white guys who also come here to hunt. I have a black buddy from my army days that fishes in the Bass Masters tournaments too. But one black guy a whole ethnic group doesn't make.. If ya get the drift.
Asians are a different story. They are heavy into shooting and hunting, everwhere I've ever lived, and they are accepted as one of the gang.
Interesting thread. When I had a table at gun shows down in the Dtroit area peddling my knives, a black guy always came to my table and we would kabitz. He wasn't interested in knives, but he was a walking encyclopedia about pre 64 Winchester Model 70's, and loved chatting about his collection, and what rifle he was looking for next. He knew EVERYTHING about pre 64 Model 70's; which ones were made in what years, and how many of them were made, by caliber, transition models, etc. He was a true Model 70 loony, a geek. But, he was one in a million.

Don
Posted By: lhonda Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Only the rich ruling classes used to hunt in Europe perhaps it hasn't filtered down to the gettos yet.

Hmmm... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkktYS-TBQ8
I've been to a number of ranges in the counties outside of Chicago and very rarely see a black. Here in the North they tend to live in the cities and larger towns...very rarely in rural areas or smaller communities. I suppose part of it is lack of exposure to the sport and not knowing someone to teach them.

Somehow that part of their history has not carried forward; lots of cowboys were black and there were the Buffalo Soldiers, etc.

Posted By: DNOVUM Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
I think the answer to your question is as varied as there are people in this world. But let�s talk in generalities.

Most Hispanics in the US today do not come from and were not raised in a hunting/gun culture. In most countries that they or their ancestors came from, as with most countries in the world today, the average citizen is not allowed to own a firearm and hunting is reserved for the elite and very rich. So being allowed to own a firearm of any kind is a concept that is outside their ability to understand. My own grandparents are perfect examples of this. My grandfather would never have considered buying a firearm for any reason. As a young man he had fought with Pancho Villa in the early 1900�s. Then as the new government was established in Mexico he saw the right to own firearms stripped from himself and his fellow citizens. After all if the peasants don�t have guns then there can�t be another revolution can there? Finally having enough of this new oppressive government he immigrated to the US and got his citizenship in 1934. Growing up I used to listen to the tales of how people caught with �illegal� firearms were dealt with swiftly and many times brutally. His own brother had gone out hunting in order to feed his family and a jealous man turned him in to the federales who arrested my great uncle. His family did not see him again for 30 years and then he was a broken man that had a lot of mental issues to deal with as well as a physical problems due to his treatment at the hands of the Mexican government. My father got into hunting quite by accident. A Caucasian friend of his invited him to go squirrel hunting when he was in high school and once he was bitten by the hunting bug he couldn�t get enough. By the time he was 17, and over his parents protests, he had saved enough from part time jobs to purchase an old single shot Winchester shotgun. Like they say, the rest is history as my bothers and I began hunting at around 7 years of age and each of us now owns a ranch designed for hunting. I have also gone on to have been on the board of the Texas State Rifle Assoc. and involved with such groups as the NRA, NWF, DU, RMEF and many other hunting/shooting related groups. So the point I am trying to make is that many Hispanics are not involved in the shooting and hunting sports as they did grow up living in cultures that allowed them to. It is only the subsequent generations, like my brothers and I, that grew up here in this country within a pro-gun and pro-hunting culture that have taken up the sport and are passing it on to our own children and grandkids.

As far as blacks go, I think that a lot of the same applies to them but from a different aspect. Until the late 1960�s or early 1970�s blacks in the US were still being treated as second class citizens and companies did nothing to advertise in that market in order to promote the shooting and hunting sports; after all you never saw magazine ad or commercial with non-Caucasians until the 1970�s or so. The majority of the black community looked upon, and still does today, as hunting and shooting as a white man�s sport because that is the image that was perpetrated in this country. For example, one of my best friends is a 46 year old black gentleman who is also the school district assistant superintendent in his town. David has been instrumental in helping me put on my youth shooting and hunting events for over 20 years now. He has promoted shooting and archery as well as fishing in every school district that he has worked and has been heavily involved in the Texas Youth Hunting Program almost since it�s inception. But to this day other blacks still criticize him for this involvement. He has been called some very colorful names by other blacks that do not understand why he wants to act like a white man. �Blacks don�t hunt or shoot guns! What are you trying to be an Oreo or something?� He gets very frustrated with his own people but admits that he will never get most of them to understand his love of the outdoors and hunting or shooting. It is just they way their culture in this country has developed over many years.

Are these all of the answers to your question, obviously not, just some observations from the other side.
thousands upon thousands of black folks here fish. farther south in bama you go, you're more apt to find black hunters, particularly small game hunters. see more middle-class black guys getting into deer hunting here in the central northern part of the state. lots of former sharecroppers have their own land, and hunt there rather than in clubs/leases.
Originally Posted by Savage2005
out of the 6 african americans I work with all 6 are always cold, even in a kitchen running full steam.

They just don't like to be outdoors in the winter

I have often noticed that I will see blacks wearing jackets when I'm comfortable in short sleeves. Sometimes the jackets are not lightweight windbreakers, either.
It is a cutural issue
Not many minorities are into the winter sports or swimming/diving either.
If you are brought up with these issues than you will carry on tradition even if it is only that you inherited your Daddy's/Momma's gun.
Never shot a deer myself but both my dad's and father in law's trophies hang in my house. Dad's a monster northern pike taken through the ice and FiL two deer mounts.
Think nothing of them until urban friends visit (children are afraid)
Houndgirl -I think the cultural/exposure thing is quite a bit of it.

Experience with blacks, here runs pretty much about the same scenario as introducing whites to shooting and hunting. Being young I'm sure has a lot to do with it also. Had a black family that farmed about 2 miles from us when kids. Everyone of the kids were always hunting with family, theirs and anyone else they knew whom they could go with. This also included the girls in the family. Their Dad and one of the boys, both remained hunters, and the rest of the 11 kids got caught up in careers and family. Back in the 50's and 60's, that took a little more involvement for black people, than looking for recreation opportunities.

I think predominately the larger percentage of blacks that hunt or enjoy the shooting sports among adults seems to come from action oriented careers, such as police, firemen, atheletes. Might be biased on that assessment though, what blacks I seem to have been involved with and around when shooting or hunting.

I hunt across from Black's in my spot.
quality people and ethical hunters all.
Thought I might add this Houndgirl:

Was reading the info on a box of '06 in a Galyan's store, and this black guy comes up and asks if I knew anything about hunting.Well, you never really know how to answer a question like that, so something on the order "Not as much as I would like too."

That got a laugh, and kind of broke the ice so to speak. Long story short, he explained when a kid his dad and uncles were big time hunters. One of his "youth" jobs was working for a man who ran a quail hunting plantation type operation. He had the chance to do some quail hunting there. When he became a man, and graduated with his pharmacy and business degrees, and became busy raising a family and starting a business of his own (a big time chain). Said every time something reminded him of his family's hunting stories from childhood, or thought of his job on the hunting club, he would get the desire to hunt.

Turned out he had been looking at elk hunt ads in the mags, but really had no idea what as everything was different and new since he was a kid. Ended up, we both got him fixed up rifle & acessories (30/06), 'bout three diffeent brands of ammo for elk. He had all the Nimrod questions about the rifle and ammo, and the other junk (junk, for me is stuff I think I need, but usually don't, in other words my "stuff").So it took a couple of hours to get all this worked out.

Give him invite to shoot on my range. After his third trip here, seen he was serious about it, so hooked him up with friend for a Rocky Mountain Bull Elk hunt (knew he would be treated OK there).
They didn't have much luck on that hunt due to weather, and some bad luck from storm timing. But this guy had such a great time, he booked for the next hunt available. My friend had a cancellation for a late hunt, and he like this guy so much he called him and offered him the cancelled hunt for free, since they had rotten luck with the weather.

Haven't counted them for awhile, but think there are 18 postcards on a board in the shop, of different COUNTRIES he has hunted in since. His wife actually started hunting with him, but she likes the warmer weather hunts. She always introduces me to friends as "the guy who ruined her husband".

The point of this, the hunting thing might be a genetic behaviorial trait. But I think it would be safe to say the seed was planted or sprouted from the memories of Dad/Uncle stories, and his "youth" job.
I think most black folks are uncomfortable around armed rednecks wandering the woods.

All seriousness asside, it's an intersting subject, one I haven't payed much attention to.

In all the years I've been shooting at the range in Anchorage, I can only think of one black guy there. We talked about guns and hunting, and he mentioned he worked for he railroad and would get dropped off by the train to go black bear hunting.

I see every nationality imaginable fishing, but agree hunting seems to be mostly white males.
Posted By: JOG Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
I have often noticed that I will see blacks wearing jackets when I'm comfortable in short sleeves. Sometimes the jackets are not lightweight windbreakers, either.

You'd be cold too if your azz was hangin' out of your pants...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
One question I need to ask Houndgirl. What type of Indian are you asking about Native American, East Asian Indian, or African American Indian?

The reason I ask I have a cousin that has Spokane Indian Blood who in Wildlife Management with the Spokane Indian Tribe and also have3 other relatives that are breeds or are married into members of either the Spokane or Colville Indian Tribes who are hunters and/or fishermen.

This is petty much a given most of the Plains and Coastal Tribes of the West are Hunters & Fishermen. Thus the reason for the Boldt Decision here in Washington, which is the basis for the Indians getting HALF of Fish here in the Northwest and Tribes being able to Hunt from August through February with little regard to State Hunting and Fishing Regulations.

It has yet to be explained how the term "Hunt and Fish in Common" translates to Half of the available resource of gives them the right to Hunt and Fish for all species almost year around.

Posted By: .280Rem Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
maybe it has something to do with how many 'minority' members live near you.
Here in North Florida, I see a number of blacks and hispanics at the gun range, and out hunting.

Much of Alabamas "Black Belt Region" (nothing to do with race) is the rural portion of south central alabama, is the best deer hunting in the state, and is largely populated by blacks. And its quite common to see them hunting and fishing. Nothing unusual about it. Also, when I used to fish up in Knoxville with my buddy, they had lots of bass tournements. And I saw many black serious bass fishermen. So, I think its a location thing HG. Combined with what someone else said. City "minorities" are much like city "white folks". They are city and like what comes with it. They don't hunt and fish as much regardless of race, color, ethnicity, etc.
Posted By: Fang Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
Combination of cultural, economic and societal influences, I guess.

Hunting can be expensive; money's tight.

No culture of hunting in most black homes, I guess.

Limited access to good hunting lands, and difficulty (?) in
obtaining permission to hunt from farmers.

On and on and on.
Originally Posted by JOG

You'd be cold too if your azz was hangin' out of your pants...

Nice.

From a cultural and historical perspective hunting as a passtime or sport was traditionally reserved for the landed gentry in the European model. There was no public land and most tracts large enough to have game were privately held and unlike the American tradition, the game belonged to the landowner. New immigrants from Europe were too busy trying to make a living to be able to get involved in the shooting sports. This changed substantially after WWII. As to the Hispanic immigrants other than the Latino from Mexico and Central America, they are still a relatively new
group. I would be interested to know if the Asian population had any other influences than those mentioned for the Europeans.
Simultaneous with this, the amount of public hunting land within easy reach of the majority of minority populations has been shrinking particularly in the South and the East. In VA there was a 25% reduction in the number of hunting licenses issued this past year from the previous year. Less private land made available to hunt and dwindling game populations in public lands has been blamed for that, but it would have to have at least a similar impact on the new immigrant who might be interested in hunting. As to the other shooting sports I have actually seen an increase in the number of minorities at ranges in the East. The relaxing of CCW laws has also resulted in more women getting involved in the shooting sports as well.
The ending of the draft has resulted in only 6% of the American population having any military experience and this was one of the ways that urban dwellers were first exposed to firearms use.
The popularity of the bolt action, for instance, can be directly attributed to the number of shooters who were issued the Springfield '03 during the first world war. So I don't think the relatively low numbers of minorities in the shooting sports can be attributed to any single factor.
But every time we bring any new shooter to the experience we have the opportunity to turn this around.
In WA you don't see many local Indians hunting because they have like 7 months a year to do it. They avoid our seasons for a couple of reasons. I have seen them in the woods though.

Two of my hunting partners are Guamanians. One is a champion elk bugler and he's gone hunting with some of the tribal guys he met in the casino. They're out there, just not so much when we are.

I haven't seen but two black hunters in my life. I've only seen a handful up skiing, although more in the last couple years it seems.

I don't care what background other hunters have as long as they're respectful and ethical the more the merrier...as long as it's where you hunt. My area is pretty crowded as it is....:)
Posted By: DMB Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
Originally Posted by remseven
The point of this, the hunting thing might be a genetic behaviorial trait.

It's absolutely in the genes. Look at all of our history, back to cave man days, where the man would go out and hunt for food. That has been passed down to us hunters genetically. It's right there with survival.

Don
A little off the subject, but I couldn't help but notice the lack of black folks at Disney Orlando last week. Hardly any.
Posted By: WMacD Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
You could replace the word hunting in all of these posts with the word hockey and they would still be relevant. It must have something to do with a missing "H" gene.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
Originally Posted by Barak

Hang a full-size NRA B27 target and run it all the way to the back of the range (25yd). Charge the pistol. If it jams (for example, if it's a 40S&W Glock loaded with 9x19mm ammo), put it in the "bad" pile, choose another pistol, and start over. If it doesn't, hold it out in front of you sideways (gangsta style), tilt your head to the side and talk a few scornful sentences of trash at the target, then fire rapidly until the gun empties or jams.

This may very well be the funniest paragraph ever posted on here.

I "wheeze" laughed when I read it.

"Scornful sentences of trash at the target",... LMAO!!
Posted By: Barak Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/27/07
Originally Posted by Bristoe
This may very well be the funniest paragraph ever posted on here.

I "wheeze" laughed when I read it.

"Scornful sentences of trash at the target",... LMAO!!

Yeah, now I think it's pretty funny too. I didn't think it was all that funny at the time, though, because I was afraid I was going to be swept by a muzzle with a finger on the trigger (they never did that, but it wasn't because they were avoiding it), or perhaps collect a few shards of kaboomed Glock. Fortunately, they were shooting the smallest cartridge Glock chambers for in all those guns, so there wasn't too big a kaboom factor. I'm glad they weren't trying 40S&W in a 357Sig pistol.
Posted By: Dave@az Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/28/07
Things you see at the range Huh? Walked in one day at my local range just as the local PD was interviewing three jerks,seems one was trying to clear a jam in an auto while pointed down towards the next station on his left,put a round in the concrete with pieces going in the leg of the shooter there! I waited till they where escorted out!
Posted By: Pete E Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/28/07
Barak,

You should have offered to buy (cheap) a few of the Glocks from the bad pile!

regards,

Pete
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/28/07
RE: Mz Hound Girl,

I suspected your query was in regard to the minorities as you 'cited' in your clarification. I just wanted a chance to brag about our indigenous population of Native American hunters in the Dakotas & Minnesota. Many years ago, I had a chance to hunt with a tribal member on Reservation land who taught me a lot of things- about a lot of 'things'. It was all a lot of fun!

There is however, a somewhat large re-settled population of Hmong people (Asian) in areas of Minnesota and Wisconsin- of whom a strong percentage of the men are avid and active hunters- as hunting is an important part of their native culture and heritage.

But you ask a good question- and I find the responses here enlightening.
There are quite a few Hmong hunters here in Minnesota. They tend to hunt moreso with just their own people, although I do know a guy who's a good member of a camp up by where we hunt. He's a good hunter, and a valued member to the group. He's got a mean poker face-I won't even sit in if he's on the table. There was a camp by our deer shack in Pennsyvania that was owned and run by blacks. The ravine that ran up behind their place was know as Nig*er Hollow. My dad and the other guys were not the least bit shy about their feelings about these guys. Fortunately, I don't feel the need to persecute anyone like that.
The largest percentage of black americans live in large, urban areas. I doubt that the percentages of black/white outdoorsmen are very different in these areas. A large percentage of rural blacks are excellent outdoorsmen, there are just not that many of them.
I think a lot of it has to do with where you were raised.
In arizona, for a long time there was not a large black population, but of course a lot of indians, as in native american, and people from mexico.
I am so use to that, I don't even notice it most of the time.
I am seeing more blacks. The local big gun shows are full of people of all backgrounds.
What is funny to me being a "white boy" are the local indians.
About a year ago I was up on the north kaibab(north of grand canyon) and ran accross a hunting party comprised of members of a nearby tribe. Understand my roots in arizona go back into the 1800's, so I identify with these indians by far more than I do a lot of recent arrivals. We had a heck of a good time once they realized my heritage,(ran the same trails) talking about all the foreigners invading arizona.
A few years before that I ran into an apache at a gas station.
I knew he was apache from the pony tail. He was pretty stiff until he realized I grew up with his uncles, and then he told me some good spots for deer on tribal owned land, not on the res.
People are people.
Blacks for the few years ago around here, were known for hunting small game.
A long time ago, everybody in arizona I think grew up with firearms. Unlike other areas of the country.
Posted By: WayneDW Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/28/07
[quote=458 Lott]I think most black folks are uncomfortable around armed rednecks wandering the woods."

I found this statement to be very true. For a couple of years my uncle-in-law brought a fellow worker, friend with him to our deer camp. He was a wonderful fellow who I quickly became friends with, he also happened to be black.

Claude loved to hunt but was scared spitless in our woods of Northwestern Wisconsin. He wasn't scared of beasts or of getting lost, he was scared of the local hunters not wanting to share the hunting woods with a black man. He dealt with it by never letting a speck of his skin show. He constantly wore gloves, hood and a blaze orange face mask designed for cold weather. He wore this even when it was sunny and warm out and he was sweating like a seive.

I felt very sorry for my new friend that he felt he had to go through such measures to feel safe and I apologized to him on behalf of my race for the condition of real and perceived racism in this country.

Wayne
I have to add one more thing. Mexicans, indians, blacks, I am use too. But... a couple of years ago I was talking to a game and fish guy out in the desert. A truck came in speeding and he said he had to go, might be one of the boat people. You see, a number of years ago refugee groups imported a bunch of stone age people from the vietnam, laos, area and turned them loose.
They will hunt anything, with no sense of game laws, etc.
The officer had previously made what he called a "tripple slam"
arresting on the same day a vietnamese, laotian, and some other kind from asia. You can't take some body from a stone age culture and a day later expect them to understand.
Last year I ran into a group of hispanics with very broken english getting ready to hunt dove on a game restricted area, after the time cutoff. They were nice guys, but didn't understand the rules. I could have let them go on, but told them in my fractured spanish, to "let it go" for the day.
It is a cultural thing used to be many blacks hunted or trapped it was part of survival but with the thronging to big cities and the move towards restrictive hunting laws more and more do not hunt and have not hunted for generations, same with the native americans for many years they were forbidden to hunt or to posses the tools to hunt since the whites wanted them to become dependant on the foods given by the agency or the crops they grew themselves. Asians are sort of the same with some exceptions Mongs for instance (vietnamese) are very good hunters and poachers. But on the whole the folks who are resricted to cities are less likely to hunt unless the family cultural thing is in force
Posted By: las Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/28/07
Barak - LMAO

I remember a TV show I saw one time, where a black gansta had a .45 auto to his brother's head. Turned sideways. I assume that was for recoil reduction for a faster second shot?
Posted By: ropes Re: Hmmm...how to put this.... - 02/28/07
There is an old Filipino man that makes the best Deer Calls there is IMHO.

He lives down there in Grayland, Wa.

I have used them for over 20 years.

They have been responsible for many Deer deaths.

I live in NE Louisiana. Here many blacks engage in outdoor activities of all kinds. I know many black men who hunt and there are many black fishermen (and women). I've also met a black man who was a trapper. When I was a kid, my dad took me on a great guided fishing trip for white perch (sac-a-lait) in central Louisiana where our guide was a French speaking black man. However, there are very few blacks who shoot clay targets in our region.

I suspect it has a lot to do with where you grew up. If you grew up in a rural area and were exposed to hunting and fishing you are more likely to do so regardless of race. If you grew up in an urban area and were not exposed to outdoor activities you probably don't hunt or fish.
Originally Posted by las
...Then there is an organization of homosexual gun owners, known as the "Pink Pistols" one chapter of which once posted their leased hunting property with the sign "Trespassers will be violated"....

I do NOT want to know what "evidence of sex" they leave on the deer carcass.

blush
Growing up I spent a fair amount of time in rural North Carolina and Alabama visiting my and my friend's kin, this would be in the '60's, and small game hunting was a way of life for both whites and "colored folks" (in the vernacular of the time) - mostly rabbits and squirrels.

This was still the time of "Whites Only" bathrooms and drinking fountains and my uncles' attitudes were certainly products of that time, but the sight of a black man walking a country lane with an old shotgun or single shot .22 was not worth a second look - long as he wasn't on their property.

Echoing the opinions of other forum members from MN I see a number of Native American, Asian and African American people engaged in hunting and fishing. It seems the NA's and Asian's are more into hunting than than the AA's. The AA's here seem to prefer going fishing more than hunting. Due to the large Hmong population here in the Twin Cities there is even a Hmong Conservation Officer to help them understand the local game laws. There used to be articles in the newspaper here about Hmong taking numbers of fish way over the limit. It turned out to be just a cultural misunderstanding on their part. With the addition of the Hmong CO all that has stopped.
There's plenty of Laotion and Viet Namiese hunters here.I've met several and some are very friendly,some aren't-just like every other race of hunters.

A friend of mine here in town,who is a huntin fool,is Asian.He even raised his own llamas for pack animals,but they turned out to be mean SOBs on the trail.....

I've got a couple of hunting buddies that are "ethnic".The only one I've ever had a problem with is a full blooded Irishman and we almost got into a fist fight over a gray squirrel,but that's a story for another time.

WB.
Another observation I had is that every black person, male or female, young or old, that I have met is deathly afraid of snakes. Perhaps that is part of the reason so many tend to avoid the outdoors.

Did deer hunt once with a vietnamese fellow. He was ok but I couldn't understand a thing he said. Makes for a long night around the campfire.
© 24hourcampfire