Home
Posted By: RickBin Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Sitting in the sage with the engine running, headlamps on bright.

Quail hunting today with my 15-year-old Scout, and my 1-year-old Jet, both Springers.

About noon, Scout was right behind me as I broke through some knee-high sagebrush, and she was looking for a way through.

Turned around to whistle up Jet, and as she is coming in I turn back around, and Scout is gone.

Just gone. Been looking for her all day …not a sign of her.

Poor old girl is deaf and half blind.

Now it’s dark in coyote country …

Would appreciate some mojo sent this way. Gonna go run the roads again and see if I find her.

Damn!
Posted By: Jericho Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Everything will be alright
Posted By: tater74 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Best of luck.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Mojo and hope for Scout turning up in good health sent.

🦫
Posted By: rainshot Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Sad. Sorry to hear but be thankful for what you have. Old Deb was a pointer and a lunatic. She’d hunt a while and get bored if she did find any birds then go run the roads a while. She’d usually drag up in time to leave wet of course.
MOJO coming, stay in the area and the coyotes will stay away
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
That sucks.

Good luck.

Don’t forget to check the local pound or shelters. Check local lost pet talk rooms.
Mojo sent. Hope you find your dog
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Sorry to hear that Rick. Praying for the safe return of Scout. Please keep us updated.
Posted By: longarm Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Know anyone with a drone?
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Lay some clothing down hopefully she'll be sleeping on it soon.
My grandpa did that with hunting dogs and they'd often be right where there laying on his hunting coat next morning.

Best of luck...
I'd build a fire near where you last saw her and wait. I sure hope she turns up. I feel for you.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
The best vibe I can muster sent your way.
Not a bad idea. May want to try leaving a piece of clothing or something with your scent on it too
Posted By: Hastings Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
I know the feeling. I used to have rabbit beagles that chased deer. I loved those dogs like family. Now I don't have a dog, too much grief involved.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Mojo sent for Scouts safe return.

I hate it when a dog gets lost.
Damn

Sending mojo
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Truly hoping for the best outcome! Maybe she will smell you and Jet and come in.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Big Mojo coming from here Rick.

I'll even try to conjure up a black cat bone and a John LeConqueroo.

Hope you can get back to near where she disappeared, maybe she tries to find her way back there?

Wife here has her mojo working too.
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Be strong Rick,keeping fingers crossed
Damn Rick. Hoping she shows up.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Old coon hunters trick is if you have to leave and come back tomorrow leave a hunting coat or something with your sent on it so if she finds her way back to where you parked she will stay with the coat,

As a boy we had to leave coon hounds a few time and each time they were laying on the coat the next morning.
Posted By: Sendero Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Sure hope she shows up!
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Mojo sent! Hoping you have her back soon.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
One of the things any bird dog owner fears. You do what you can, and that's all you can do. Hope she finds you, soon.
Posted By: efw Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Dang man that’s rough I’m very sorry to hear this
Sorry to hear that. I know what your going through and it’s a gut punch you can’t explain.
Lost a dog quail hunting above Lone Pine CA and spent the day looking. Ended the day going to all the campsites and asking people to watch for our dog. Got a call a few hours later and went to pick him up at there camp and two college girls were holding him in their laps feeding him grilled chicken in front of their campfire and he’s looking at me like “that’s ok I’ll stay with them tonight” was embarrassing having to literally drag him away to the kennel in the back of the truck.
Good luck, we are all praying for Scout to come home safe.
No good ideas but pray for it. Seriously my mom lost my black footed ferr6when I was in Africa on a 2 year mission. All I cod tell her was pray for it. She did and then went to the grocery store. She was in line checking out and the lady in front of her started telling the checker that she just found the funniest looking animal in her flower bed eating her flowers. My ferret Louise loved flowers so my mom asked the lady what it looked like. Turned out it was Louise found over a week later 3 miles from our house.

Bb
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Sorry to hear that Rick. Praying for the safe return of Scout. Please keep us updated.

This . Prayers sent. Was a heart attack possible. Snake bite? Honking truck horn? Dayom. If you have to leave, leave your coat there, and water.
Sorry to hear. Hope she turns up ok.
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Old coon hunters trick is if you have to leave and come back tomorrow leave a hunting coat or something with your sent on it so if she finds her way back to where you parked she will stay with the coat,

As a boy we had to leave coon hounds a few time and each time they were laying on the coat the next morning.

This.
Dang it!

Good luck!
Posted By: GregW Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Mojo from borderlands here Ricky....
Originally Posted by VaHunter

That trick works! I found a a bear hound at a forest services gate a few years ago and called the number on his tag. The guy asked if I was at the gate with denim jacket or the flannel shirt? I looked again and there was a denim jacket tied around the fence post where the dog was when I got him. The guy had knew where we were when I told him about the jacket. He had left clothes at each gate on the way out for the dog to smell and it worked. We met up down the mountain and gave him his dog and jacket back.
Hope your girl turns up, Rick.
Posted By: Partsman Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Hoping for the best,
Hang in there. I believe Scout will turn up. Dear Lord, may it be so.
Damn I hate to hear of this. Saying a prayer that you find your girl.
Posted By: HUNTS Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
I lost my female English Setter a few years ago (RIP Hannah). This was in an area of MT with plenty of wolves. I eventually found her at an abandoned ranch, sleeping in the shade.

Hope you find Scout soon.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Best of luck finding Scout, Rick. Hope Scout turns up.

L.W.
Posted By: kingston Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Let's bring Scout home.

Hopefully she finds you.

If you leave that spot, leave your jacket.
Praying for you and Scout. If I were there I would look until I dropped 🙏
Posted By: DMc Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Good luck Rick. Is your phone number on her collar?
Damn, that's gotta be a terrible feeling. I agree with others, put some clothing down or start a fire and camp out if you can. Best of luck to you and your buddies.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
I sure hope you find the old girl, best heartfelt wishes going out to both of you!
Leaving some clothing is good advice, worked for me
Posted By: erikj Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Good luck, Rick. I've had a couple experiences like that, always lucked out. Hope you find her.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Left her kennel, the sweaty undershirt I have been wearing all day, and a bowl of water.

Gonna go keep running the roads.

What a [bleep] feeling …

Attached picture D68BB38D-4195-4CC4-B25A-DEC2FC18704F.jpeg
Damn. Hope she turns up quick.
I've lost dogs before and I understand how the worry and fear grabs your heart. I hope you find Scout safe and sound, and soon.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Sent
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Not sure if it’s been said but throw your jacket out where you last had contact.
Yep. Phone number on her collar. Nothing yet.

I got a bad feeling. This is not like her. I suspect a predator. Jet is at the end of a heat, and the wind was blowong straight into a canyon.

Scout is all of 27 pounds now, deaf, half blind, and 15 years old. She couldn’t have gone too far …

Been 8.5 hours. Damn.
Man...
I hope you find her.
Dogs are a part of us
We are a part of our dogs.
Hope from here man.👍
Don’t give up. Strange stuff happens
Posted By: sako4me Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
S.O.B, that really sucks. I know the feeling. Praying for a miracle for you! I wish I could help. We are springer owners as well.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Good luck
Mojo sent from here too Rick.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Not fun at all.
Been there before. Sounds like you're doing all you can. Gotta let the chips fall where they may at this point.
Good luck to you and scout.
Posted By: kingston Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
My heart goes out to you.

Hoping for the best.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Might bang on the bed side of the pickup, old deaf horse we had would come to that. Percussion.

Might ward of preds

Sending hopeful vibes man
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Sending mojo Rick! Best wishes.
Posted By: ewc Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
I hate to read this Rick. Prayers for your Scout and you also
Posted By: LFC Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Nothing worse than loosing your best friend.
She’ll be in her kennel in the morning.
Sorry to hear this boss.

Hopefully it all works out.

** I have not read all the post**
Posted By: Osky Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
My best as well , hoping you find her or she you Rick.

Osky
Knee mail outbound- - - - -hoping for the best!
Sorry to hear this. Buddy of mine lost his 1 year old this way. Leaving a coat is a good idea. Not sure on firing the shotguns. Sometimes where I hunt coyotes come right to the sound of people shooting hoping to clean up on jackrabbits. I called a pair of coyotes in while my friend banged away with his 12 gauge just 100 yards away. Depends on the coyotes exposure to this.

Drive all the roads, scan with a spotlight to catch the dogs eyes. Man, really sorry to hear this.
Prayers.
Prayers for all.
Posted By: Otter Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Feel for you and Scout, Rick. Prayers up for a good outcome for you both. 3# rock in the stomach feeling when something like this happens . . . BTDT.
Posted By: memtb Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
I’m a bit late Ric, but you and Scout are definitely in my thoughts! I pray this works out well for the both of you! memtb
Wishing you the best Rick!
Praying for Scout's safe return. I've lost track of dogs before and know that feeling. Hopefully she's back in the morning
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Good plan with the kennel, shirt and water. Make sure to fire your gun too. Those old dogs are tough and remember, Scouts doing what old dogs do best, hunting!
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Originally Posted by RickBin
Scout is all of 27 pounds now, deaf, half blind, and 15 years old.

I remember when you got her.....geez does time fly. Good old dogs are the best and worst thing to happen to a guy.
I haven’t read every page but I’m sending good thoughts your way. I sure hope your buddy is laying on your coat come morning.

Come daylight if you know anyone that has a decent drone you could cover a lot of ground with a drone.

Prayers for a good outcome.
Posted By: broomd Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The best vibe I can muster sent your way.

x2!
Prayers
Posted By: RAS Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Good luck finding her.

I always, always use a collar tracker system on my dogs for this very scenario. Garmin makes a great one.
Leave her crate where you were parked. So many times this has worked.

Good luck.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
All I can say is that I've been there and know perfectly just what you're going through.

Wouldn't wish it on anybody.

Get a tracking collar or an orange vest for your other dog no matter how high the sage is.
Damn.
Sorry to hear this Rick.
Mojo headed south.
Posted By: rong Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
hoping for a positive outcome.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Praying for Scout's safe return, Rick.
Sure hope for the best outcome!
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
I hope you find her Rick. One of the worse feelings in the world.
Rick, man I am so sorry. Putting myself in your shoes and my heart is heavy. Sending you and Scout all the best wishes I can muster.
Not even daylight here yet, 3+ hours for the West coast.
Hoping to get good news in awhile Rick, you have our thoughts and
prayers.
Posted By: K22 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Sending MOJO from here Rick. That is such a dreadful feeling to go thru.
Hope it works out well Rick.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Rick, I haven't read this thread so my advice may have already been posted by someone else.

When i lose track of a bird dog, I put coat down where we walked, then i will fire my shotgun every 10 minutes, if it gets dark i build a white mans fire, and shoot my shotgun every little while. it don't hurt to run the roads where you were hunting, Good Luck Rio7
Posted By: dale06 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Hoping for a good outcome for Scout and you, Rick.
My neighbor let his 14 year old Beagle out at 11 pm to take a leak before bedtime. There was a mama bear and two cubs at the bird feeder. The Beagle attacked Mrs. Bear. The last he saw the dog, it was being carried off the mountain in the jaws of Mrs. Bear.

The next day we looked long and hard for the dog but it was no use. Six days later, the dog showed up at his front door. He had 2 puncture marks on his belly.
He had to have surgery for $1,600, and then the dog was OK.
There is always hope for a lost doggie.
Good luck Sir...
Also, if any highways are within a couple of miles drive them regularly.
Just saw this, much Luck this morning, hoping she'd at her kennel!
Damn, sorry. Hope you find her.
Posted By: johnw Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Been where you're at.
Hoping and praying for you.

I remember when scout came to you
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Prayers for a safe homecoming. I haven't looked at the end of this thread. Hoping for good news when I do.
Posted By: miguel Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Prayers sent Rick. Keep up the search.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
GPS collars a good investment for older dogs.
5 am. Still out here. Parked next to the kennel now.

Hoping for something positive come daylight. Otherwise feeling pretty bleak right now.
Prayers for you and your dog. I think most of us know what a gut wrenching feeling it is to go through what you’re dealing with.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
So sorry Rick.
Prayers up
Sorry to read this. Best of luck and saying a prayer also.

Any chance you could use a lead on Jet and let her track around some where you last seen Scout. IDK just throwing out ideas.

The leaving a garment trick works, used it with coonhounds several times.
Hoping for the best for Scout.
Never give up. She is going to be fine
Posted By: Squidge Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
I hope you find her or she finds you.
Posted By: Nollij Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Prayer for the best outcome.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
That’s the worse feeling. I hope you find her. She’ll be glad to get back to you.
Posted By: Steve Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Man. Sure you'll find her. Can you put a coat or something with your scent at the last place you saw her. Might hold her there.
Hang tough, Dude!
God bless you and your faithful dog
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
🙏🙏🙏
If we were there we’d all be helping you look, I wish we were.
Posted By: cowdoc Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Hoping for a good outcome.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Hope she returns. It's like losing a family member.
mercy ...
Posted By: 338rcm Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Prayers for Scout
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Hang in there brother. A positive outlook is your greatest strength right now!

Is there a way to get a tracking dog?
Posted By: JimR Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Prayers sent.
Posted By: Partsman Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
You know we would all be there helping search if we could.

Like someone said, no chance of using a tracker dog?
It's getting light here.

Pretty soon in California.

Good luck this morning.
Posted By: Paul_M Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Hope you find her.
Posted By: hosfly Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Sometimes,if you have other dogs,that was around scout ,you can turn them loose and walk around, they somtimes will pick up their kennel mates scent an track him down,, couple people with drones and camera's would cover lots of ground,, good luck sir, hope you get him gathered up,
Heartbreaking..💔
I hope things work out.
Lay down some clothes you've worn with your scent on them.
I've heard of it working before.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Good luck man.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Best wishes to both of you Rick - from a fellow dog man!

PennDog
Damn,

Sorry Brother. It is horrible losing one of our four legged friends as they love us unconditionally.

I am hoping yours comes back to you very soon.
That's a horrible feeling.

I know from personal experience. A couple of years ago, I took my dogs with me, as usual, to lock up the hen house after dark. I didn't realize that one of my dogs followed me out the back gate. After locking up, I came back in the gate and closed it behind me, with him still back there, not realizing. About an hour later it occurred to me that I hadn't seen or heard from him in a while, and went out to call him in. Nothing. That's when I realized what happened. I went out back and called him. Nothing. He was gone.

Went driving the neighborhood at night for a while. Nothing. It's a horrible feeling, for sure.

Then I got a text from an all night vet telling me they have my dog. A cop found him roaming the neighborhood and brought him there. They detected the chip and texted me on my phone. Happy ending. Hoping and praying for one in your case, too.
Hoping the day turns out well - Good Luck
Sorry to hear of this Rick. Hope Scout is found.

Been there twice, before tracking collars existed. Put up lost dog signs everywhere you can. Check with the agencies that recover dogs. Talk with law enforcement. Visit any ranches/houses in the area. Don't loose hope.

The last time for me it was two dogs, they stayed in the area for three days till I was notified by a ranch hand.
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Wow!!, I know the feeling. First outing with my Diggzz he disappeared. Horrible feeling. Came back in about 30min. When I had hounds I would lay my coat down were I last saw them, came back latter and pick them up. She knows how to back track, she'll be back. GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣
Checking in here in hopes of reading a happy ending. Wish I could be there to help search for Scout.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
i have had a lost dog before , the coat thing worked once for me with my dog . sorry to hear this .
Lost my couch buddy last week. It was much harder than I thought.
Posted By: kragman1 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Anybody with a soul is pulling for you both.
Hope it turns out well.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Rick;
Sorry to read of this sir, truly.

It's getting light here so should be down there soon too.

My prayer is that you find her and that you're going to have an extra measure of peace today Rick.

Dwayne
Wish I was closer.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Wish I was closer.

Indeed.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Been in your shoes a couple times. I stayed for 2 days before finding my dog the second time. Binoculars helped find him laying down asleep under some brush

The first time the old blanket/jacket from home and food trick worked

Praying for you
Posted By: Diesel Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Sorry Rick, it is indeed a sick feeling.

Since you mentioned Scout is 15, I would start at the last place you saw him and take jet and do bigger and bigger circles. You will be leaving your scent too. Old dogs can just lay down, and especially if they have unknown health issues. Others have given good advice on leaving clothing. The drone idea is worth consideration. I hope he is ok and you find him soon. We are all rooting for Scout.
Posted By: BobMt Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Originally Posted by Diesel
Sorry Rick, it is indeed a sick feeling.

Since you mentioned Scout is 15, I would start at the last place you saw him and take jet and do bigger and bigger circles. You will be leaving your scent too. Old dogs can just lay down, and especially if they have unknown health issues. Others have given good advice on leaving clothing. The drone idea is worth consideration. I hope he is ok and you find him soon. We are all rooting for Scout.

what I am thinking dog just layed down.... going through the sage maybe was to hard on him...good luck....bob
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Hope things turn out well.
Prayers sent Rick. Wish I could do more.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Hope you left a coat near where you last saw her. Have found several of my misplaced dogs laying on my coat the next morning. Nothing worse than losing a good dog.
Good luck getting your old Bud back!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Damn Rick.Hope this turns in your favor.

I have made it a habit to train the dogs I take afield to track, primarily humans, but each other if need be.It has come in handy a couple times...
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Praying.
Posted By: 4xbear Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Oh,Damn hope you find her....
Sorry to read this, hope it turns out well. Take Care
how far are you from nearest community ? may be you can organize a search . https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/ , facebook , nextdoor etc...
Posted By: rflshtr Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Wishing best outcome for Scout.
Rick, any chance you could go back through where you last saw her, from downwind, with Jet and watch him closely to see if he tunes in? When you get to the spot maybe get Jet on her track?

Also, I would check out any farm/ranch houses around, especially any you were downwind of when you lost her.

Also check any water holes for tracks that you were downwind of at the time.

GOD bless.
Posted By: G23 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Originally Posted by jwp475
🙏🙏🙏

This
Originally Posted by persiandog
how far are you from nearest community ? may be you can organize a search . https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/ , facebook , nextdoor etc...

what is your location? I can post for help , there are many pet rescue pages :
https://www.facebook.com/PetSearchAndRescue/
Best of luck Rick, I am sure you will find her!

Looking forward to reading about the happy reunion.
Hoping you find your dog.

My lab when he got old would just randomly head back to the truck. I’d lose him in a field and I’d find him sleeping in his kennel back at the truck.
Posted By: las Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Lay some clothing down hopefully she'll be sleeping on it soon.
My grandpa did that with hunting dogs and they'd often be right where there laying on his hunting coat next morning.

Best of luck...

Indeed. Mojo sent.

My first Lab took off after a cow/calf moose, despite my commands. I laid my coat down there, and we went about our business- moose hunting the bends and side sloughs along a very windy stream. Figured on returning to the coat site later in the day.

An hour later we were maybe a dozen bends and a half a mile upstream when I could hear him howling (sitting on my coat).

He was a smart dog, and never went chasing after moose again against my command.

In late September we thought we had lost Chako the Wunder Wiener,. As we were setting up the tent (outboard trouble - camp here!), he disappeared. We called and yelled for a half hour and he didn't come, with fresh wolf and bear tracks on the river bank.

We went looking for him and found him over a quarter mile away. He had a grouse trapped in a tree, but boy did he know he was in trouble - when he saw us coming, he came slinking toward us with his ears down and tail between his legs.

Damned Dachshunds!
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Always springers at the farm. Can’t imagine not being around them.
Good luck
Do you know anyone who has a drone?

Maybe animal control/Sheriffs office, a guy from the local search and rescue? It could be a kid. The point is that you could possibly spot him from above flying a drone.

Your little buddy may have gotten his collar snagged on something and is stuck.

Get a drone up and fly a circle search pattern from the last known location.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Was hoping for good news this morning RIck.

Like a couple of other folks have suggested, my wife said to ask Jet to try to find her.

Ingwe mentioned training his dogs to find the others. We do it with ours as we've had the old deaf ones not come to commands and have to send the other to get them.

More Mojo coming from the Modoc this morning.
Damn… this suks. Good luck for the safe return.
So sorry to hear that Rick ! Prayers sent !
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Sorry to hear this; hope it works out well.
Rick, do you know anyone with a small 2 seat helicopter?
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Drone and someone who knows how to do a grid search. The thought of this this is killing me. Damn
Maybe I should not suggest this, but maybe several factors need to be considered. The dog is 15 years old, partially blind, and I think was reported to have another issue. The dog was doing what she was trained to do and apparently loved it, hunting. Dogs have a tendency, in my experience, to find a quiet and somewhat secure place when their end time comes. I have no idea what I will be doing when my end comes, but I'm thinking being out in a good hunting area enjoying something I really like, such as a hunting trip, may not be such a bad way to go. My father's favorite uncle died that way while turkey hunting. I don't know much about the life expectancy of that particular breed of dog, but for dogs in general, 15 years is a quite full lifespan. Of course you don't want the dog to suffer if she is disabled somehow and if she did expire, you want to know for sure to give you closure. However, if this is the case, you may never know for sure. That uncertainty is what is painful. After you have done all that you can to find her and not successful, try to accept that she is gone and went doing what she enjoyed most. Few of us could be so lucky to meet our end that way. It sounds like to me that she had a good life to the end and was blessed to have you. I do hope things work out for the both of you.
The best thing to do with a lost hunting dog is go back to your vehicle and wait ...... most will find their way back ..... you start chasing them down and if they come back to your last known position and you are not there they will bolt. I have sat in my vehicle up to 8 hours before my dog came back.

The age and health of your dog makes it a special case though.

Prayers sent.
No luck.

“Slept” next to the kennel for a couple hours before daybreak. She never came.

Left the kennel, sweaty t-shirt, and water and went to look for her. Glassed, honked the horn, shot the shotgun, did it all again and again.

No dice.

Left the kennel there and brought Jet home. She’s been locked up for going on 20 hours, except for pee and water breaks.

Way too windy for drones today, even though there apparently was a never-flown one available. That wasn’t going to end well.

So I’m hoping for a miracle now. A couple years back my uncle lost a puppy on the same ranch. It survived the night and turned up at a local ranch house. Named it Miracle.

That kennel and the water hole nearby will be checked regularly the next couple days, so there still is an outside chance.

Still … she was basically underfoot, and then she was gone. She may have wandered and gotten into a spot she couldn’t get out of … but I suspect a predator.

Still hopeful, but …
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Bummer.....I was hoping for a better update. Hoping for the best.
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Damn
thanks for the update Rick, but I was really hoping for better news. Fingers crossed...........
Keep checking this thread wanting good news. Good news is coming! Jet can probably find her.
How long was it from when you last seen her til' you noticed she was gone. I'm talking distance.
I'd try Jet on a leash at that spot and give her head.
I’m discounting a predator. If she was close to you, you would have heard something.

Keep the faith 🙏
Hate to suggest a dire possibility, but is there trapping going on in the area?
Posted By: Szumi Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Directing positive waves your way. I hope there is a happy ending.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
No luck.

“Slept” next to the kennel for a couple hours before daybreak. She never came.

Left the kennel, sweaty t-shirt, and water and went to look for her. Glassed, honked the horn, shot the shotgun, did it all again and again.

No dice.

Left the kennel there and brought Jet home. She’s been locked up for going on 20 hours, except for pee and water breaks.

Way too windy for drones today, even though there apparently was a never-flown one available. That wasn’t going to end well.

So I’m hoping for a miracle now. A couple years back my uncle lost a puppy on the same ranch. It survived the night and turned up at a local ranch house. Named it Miracle.

That kennel and the water hole nearby will be checked regularly the next couple days, so there still is an outside chance.

Still … she was basically underfoot, and then she was gone. She may have wandered and gotten into a spot she couldn’t get out of … but I suspect a predator.

Still hopeful, but …

I lost one of my dogs South of Superior Wyoming. The road we were on was not the main one into town and was sort of the long way in. I hit it every day for 7 days and on the 7th there she was sitting in the middle of the road seemingly waiting for me. Oddly not all that thirsty but really hungry. Hope you find your old friend.
Don't give up.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Don't give up.
Anyone have search and rescue dogs near you? They usually like to work their dogs at every chance.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Mucho Mojo sent your way on finding your dog, I've been there and it sucks! I always found the dog (or they found me)!
Rick, you and Scout are in my prayers.
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I’m discounting a predator. If she was close to you, you would have heard something.

Keep the faith 🙏

^^^This^^^

More prayers sent for Scout’s safe return !
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
I too doubt a predator.

Keep the faith, but if she's gone, when the sorrow is gone, you'll reflect on it as being a good day. What a grand way to depart and leave her legacy. Sure beats the alternative of a slow pitiful death, which at her age and condition, was a real possibility, and soon.
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Hate to suggest a dire possibility, but is there trapping going on in the area?

That is a possibility.

Provided it is a leghold and not a snare, there could be hope there.

Trappers are required to (though quite a few don't) check traps daily and advise Fish and Game of their traplines. These rules vary from state to state, and I know nothing of CA's trapping laws. You could call F&G and ask if they have any known trappers/traplines in the area, then reach out to the trapper.

That is a longshot, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Been working this morning, but this has been on my mind a lot. I am seriously hoping for a positive outcome.
I hope you find her man..
👍👍👍
We all love our dogs.
Sorry to hear this Rick. Hoping for a happy ending.

Don't know what the terrain is like there, but have you tried looking for tracks? You probably have, but thought I'd throw it out.
Posted By: rong Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Still pulling for a positive outcome,
Still praying Boss!
Sure hope you find Scout....what ever the outcome.
Yep, still sending good vibes your way.
Posted By: Steve Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Does she have tags with your contact info on them?
Posted By: DMc Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Originally Posted by Steve
Rick said his phone # was on her collar.
Rick, you are doing the right thing by waiting.

Had one of mine do that years ago. Had to leave, so left my hunting coat and a bowl of water there.

Came back in 3 hours and there he was --- asleep on the coat with an empty water bowl.

All my dogs are now chipped.

If you have friends with dogs, get them out there, they might hunt your's up.

Best of luck Dogs are the best things that happen to most of us.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Rick,

if it was her time to cross over, when better than after a day in the field enjoying you, the sun, and being outdoors one last time.

Still hoping for the best for her and you.
I’ll be sending all my good thoughts and prayers your way. I wrote this last night but decided to hold off posting it since I don’t want to cause unnecessary grief on top of the terrible feelings that you’re dealing with right now but….

I don’t want to be dark but it’s a common trait amongst canines that if they sense death is upon them they’ll go lay in the cover of bushes, tress, etc. If that is the case with your old friend I hope that you’d find comfort in her passing in a place as special to you both as the sagebrush and grassland hunting grounds….that seems like an appropriate setting for the inevitable.

I sincerely hope you find Scout. I just got home from church where I said a prayer and prayed for her safe return just as I did last night after reading this and again when I got up this morning….
Posted By: Gaschekt Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Several years ago I had an old beagle do something similar. She took off singing and running the rabbit trails best she could, which wasn't very good, and then suddenly vanished. I still have a beagle sized hole in my heart. She was a good rabbit dog, and a loyal friend. Over the years we've seen our pets do strange things when they realized their time has come. Sure hope you can find your friend. Power and prayers.
I keep checking back in, hoping for good news. Dogs are the best people in the world.
Been trying to do my invoicing, but I have to keep checking this thread every few minutes. Hoping for the best outcome.
Posted By: Teal Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
I don't have the words Rick.

All the possible mojo.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Leave a piece of clothing, hat ect for her to find.
Posted By: Bry Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Old dogs are like toddlers; they don’t always listen well and don’t move very fast but if you take your eyes off them for a few seconds and something gets their attention……It happens to almost everyone at some point, usually they just don’t get very far.

Hoping for a good outcome.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Trailcams on the kennel & water hole?
Good luck recovering your girl. Hopefully she'll show up soon.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
I believe trapping has been completely outlawed here in CA
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
I believe trapping has been completely outlawed here in CA

I thought he was elsewhere.
You are correct.

Quail hunting today with my 15-year-old Scout, and my 1-year-old Jet, both Springers.

About noon, Scout was right behind me as I broke through some knee-high sagebrush, and she was looking for a way through.

Turned around to whistle up Jet, and as she is coming in I turn back around, and Scout is gone.

Would appreciate some mojo sent this way. Gonna go run the roads again and see if I find her.

Damn!

Wishing you and praying this has a happy ending. We don't know each other but I KNOW you care about what you do and those you care about.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
You must be sick with grief. I hope you find her...
Posted By: HughW Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Having thought I had lost an older deaf hunting dog and finding her quite late the same day I know what you are going through. I wish you the best of outcomes.
Posted By: Deans Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Hope you find her soon.
I keep checking hoping for good news. Having lost dogs before, I think I have an idea what you are going through. Hang in there Scout and Rick.
Posted By: rc82bttb Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Best of luck Rick. Praying you find her safe.
Dam was hoping for good news, don't give up, she maybe at someone's house or camp right now. Lost a big lemon and white pointer, when I was a kid, my dad and some of his buddies were out bird hunting, and he just disappeared, we went back to the area several weekends, asking and looking for him. He was just gone, very few Coyotes back then. Pulling for you to find her brother.
Sorry to hear about Scout. I'm thinking your best bet is going to be the place you parked your vehicle.

My lab used to make a habit of getting lost in the woods while hunting. Sometimes miles away from the road. I gave up on waiting on him as it was getting dark and hiked a few miles back to the truck. Sat in the truck for a few hours and then he came down the path about dark. I think he tracked the scent to find me.

Hope Scout does the same.
Posted By: tzone Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Sorry to hear this. Sending mojo your way Rick.
Been there…..Bummer
Posted By: rainshot Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
I was really hoping she'd turn up by now. Still hoping you find her. Kinda like losing a family member.
RickBin: MoJo and prayers sent. I hope Scout is found ASAP!
Wish there was more I could do.
Keep us posted please.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Hoping to hear good news!
Checking back.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/23/22
Still hoping for the best outcome🤞
Praying for Scout’s miraculous rescue. May God grant you peace through this ordeal, and may Scout be found safe and rescued!
Rick, I don't know about your AO, but up here we have deer tracking dogs. These dogs are trained to find wounded deer. I'm thinking finding a dog isn't too much of a leap - especially if you have something with Scout's scent to go off of. Many of these folks don't even charge for it because they simply want to work their dog. Might be worth a shot.

Regardless, I hope you find her - prayers from Michigan outbound. Godspeed.
Hoping for good news.
Posted By: Steve Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by Steve
Rick said his phone # was on her collar.
Missed that. Thanks!
Posted By: DMc Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Anyone heard from Rick today? Word?
Posted By: BigPine Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Damn . Thoughts and prayers from me and so many of us Rick. My heart goes out to you as I’ve been there too. There is still hope .
Been thinking about this all day today and spending a little extra time with my own older dog.

Hoping for the best.
Sorry to hear this, you'all will be in my thoughts, praying for a positive outcome!
Originally Posted by DMc
Anyone heard from Rick today? Word?
He chimed in this AM. Nothing yet.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Prayers for you and Scout, Rick. Hope you find her.
Well...if it turns out that way....it was a warriors death.
Posted By: bpas105 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Prayers for you and Scout - I've been there as well with our 2 Springers, and luckily a friend found them a week later, with a litter on the way by then. That was a very long and very cold week, but they turned up 10 lonely miles away. Keep the faith, Rick.
Posted By: KC Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Rick:

I've been watching this thread. Hoping for good news. It's been 23 hours now. Still hoping for the best. But hope is dwindling. I know how you feel. We've all lost dogs and there's no good way to get over it.

KC
Posted By: RickBin Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Welp, dark again.

No nothing. Kennel is still out, t-shirt still swinging, wind still blowing ... no Scout.

I lost her at noon yesterday, so we’re at 30-plus hours.

All wrung out here.
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Keep holding out hope. I lost a Brittany once. Took 4 days and about 9 miles before she was found. Stay positive. Good luck.
Hang in there and stay strong.
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Welp, dark again.

No nothing. Kennel is still out, t-shirt still swinging, wind still blowing ... no Scout.

All wrung out here.

So sorry Rick.

Be gentle with yourself.

You have done what you reasonably can.

Time for a drink and some rest.

Then try again tomorrow.
Don't stop looking Rick or give up hope, if she is alive, she is looking for you!

The best dog I ever owned went missing for 30 days lost in the bush as a young dog, she was a German Shorthaired Pointer. When we found her (someone else did), she was skin and bones, she lived for another 12 years!

I will say a prayer for you and your dog tonight :o)

Cheers ~ Darren
We found a dog once that looked like it had been out for quite a while. Took it in, clean ed it up, etc. Put up fliers and such and someone stopped in the little one horse local market and saw the flier and said they'd been driving almost 300 miles from Portland as many weekends as they could, looking for the dog they- lost 6 months earlier!

You can imagine how that reunion went!!!!
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
That’s hard, Rick. I feel for you. At least Scout was out with her daddy, chasing birds. If we could all be so lucky. Hope you find her soon.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Hoping you find your dog. If you haven’t already, leave an old hunting coat or shirt where you lost your dog, along with a water bowl, and check it several times a day if possible. Good luck.
Posted By: WMR Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
The dog may yet show up for you or someone else. You could get a call any day. Hate to be negative but a 15 y/o could also just lay down and pass peacefully at any time. My 15y/o lab is sleeping at my feet. She’s totally deaf and mostly blind. She’s happy for now but I know any day could be her last. Best wishes for a happy ending for you.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Welp, dark again.

All wrung out here.

Dayom. So sorry to hear of this.

Prayers.
Posted By: kingston Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Welp, dark again.

All wrung out here.

I've been checking this thread with high hopes she'd turn up.

I'm so sorry.
Damn.
If she followed her nose to water, where would that be?
Posted By: Morewood Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Damn.
+1
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
I would check the area you last saw her. I pray she returns in good condition.
Posted By: 270jrk Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
So sorry Rick, hoping for the best still,
My pups got away for about an hour a couple weekends ago. I couldn’t possibly imagine 30x the wait. Sending mucho mojo for Scout. And yep, I remember the pup pics from way back when…
I reckon she fell over and died.
Posted By: BigPine Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
[bleep] it Jim ....give him some hope
Posted By: Malcolm Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
She'll be right there in the sagebrush where you last saw her. Go there ,send Jet out to find her. Needs water after 2 days better hurry.
Rick, my old Drahthaar took a spill down a hill she couldn't get back up in the mountains of north Idaho. She too was mostly blind and near deaf. She toughed it out for 4 days. She made her way down to the lake and was found on the beach....alive but beat up. Considering this is the hub of wolves, bears and cats....she did well.

She bounced back in a few days.

I hope you can be as lucky.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Welp, dark again.

All wrung out here.

Remember, no matter what happens, she was doing what she loved best! We should all be so lucky......
Posted By: Hastings Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
She could show up. Having a phone number on a collar is a huge help. Would be a better chance if it was a younger dog. I had a 6 month old beagle disappear for a year and a half after she left out on a hot trail in the National Forest. Found her at the thief's house. Stopped and picked her up, there was my tattoo in her ear. They claimed they raised her from a puppy, but backed down real quick when I flipped that ear back and showed them the tattoo. Lots of folks, even kids would steal a young beagle or Lab puppy, probably not too many would appropriate a 15 year old disabled bird dog.
Posted By: DMc Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
No buzzards, no dead dog. I sure liked the drone idea. I do not know how to fly one, but plenty do. Cover a lot of ground with a drone.
Originally Posted by BigPine
[bleep] it Jim ....give him some hope

I know what you mean....but thats what I was trying to do.
Originally Posted by Malcolm
She'll be right there in the sagebrush where you last saw her. Go there ,send Jet out to find her. Needs water after 2 days better hurry.
Probably right, comb over that area first. Water could be a serious issue if this is arid country.
Rick

Hope you find your pal soon,

Prayers for you and the beasty...

Mike
I've been on travel and just saw this thread...hang in there Scout! And, Rick's family.
Set all the trail cameras you got!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Gonna go talk to my four legged boys and have them put their mojo in on this deal too Rick.

Hang tough.

You're probably too far away from Alturas for me to come lend a hand looking, just know that I would if you were nearby.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Just found this thread - sorry for the tough situation and related trauma. Scent and loud sounds may be your best helpers. Send out both as much as possible - truck horn, amplified voice, roam with the pup and try to have her run circles, spread scented clothing, cook something familiar to her, whatever.

I sure hope you find her safe and sound.
Keep the faith...............and hope she returns tired but OK
Posted By: boatboy Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Rick this is very sad
Sorry is happening

Hank
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Welp, dark again.

All wrung out here.

Could there be a possibility some one else found her? When my 15 year old deaf and blind Boston terrier wandered too far and couldn't smell his way back. My neighbor posted it on facebook and someone replied the dog was found and I had him back later that night.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
🙏🙏🤞🙏🙏
How far is it from houses and civilization?
Just saw this Rick. So sorry. Hoping for the best possible outcome!
Years ago, a buddy lost his dog 10 miles into the Everglades! 30 days exactly, she showed up on the road where another hunter found her and called the number on her collar! She was beat, emaciated and looked like she was on the verge of death, but she made it! Don't think he ever took her out again either! Keep the faith and hope you find her! Anyone have a drone that you know?
Posted By: Dess Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Keeping you and the pup in my prayers.

Wish I were closer. I'd be there to help you search.
Posted By: ribka Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
schit. as said leave some items of clothing out in various places in the area for her to find and mark with florescent markers. Put multiple items of clothing in a few mile radius

It has worked best of luck. Nothing worse for a bird hunter

Damn!
Posted By: 4xbear Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
It saddens me that there is no news of Scout yet. Fingers crossed here.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Yes, over the years, lost two of my old dogs that way. Never found hide nor hair. Left my jacket out over nite, checked all the farms in the area, no Misty..
Hope yours turns out well.
Hoping for the best!
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Dang Rick, so sorry to hear. Hope this ends well!
I’m hoping for the best. If Scout is gone at least scout went out hunting. I don’t have dogs anymore. I can’t take the pain of losing them.
Keeping a good thought for Scout and you. Hoping your paths cross again soon with a perfectly happy outcome. 🤞🤞

Doc_Holidude
Posted By: las Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
I know what Conrad meant.

My FIL's Dachshund was 16 or 17, living on their farm out of Hathaway, MT when he went hunting one day and never came home.
Snake, owl, hawk, eagle, coyote, fox, trapped in a hole or a roll of wire, heart attack, or just all wore out, laid down and died(unlikely).

I know what we hoped for.

Still pulling for Scout and you, Rick.
i am buying a dog gps tracker .
Dam dogs... I can't imagine a life without them. This hits very close to home. I'm still hoping this will have a happy ending. I hate to say this but I've personally seen on 2 occasions and have heard of several other cases where old timer dogs will wonder off and cross over by themselves away from their pack.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Judging by this thread I'm betting your pup wouldn't change a thing over the last 15 years.

Thoughts and prayers,

Todd
Posted By: rylee1 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Went through the exact same thing and one of the toughest things I have ever been through with all my dogs I left a coat and walked for miles. Finally headed for home. Gas well checker found her 4 days later on a two track. He opened his truck door and she jumped in. Happy ending for me I hope yours turns out just as well.
Posted By: stantdm Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
I, like a host of others on this forum, hope this ends well.
Wishing Scout a safe return home!
Posted By: MegaMehg Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Some time life just sucks, At that point you must remember some have it harder.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/306595563321982/

Quail Valley/Canyon Heights Area Pets ... Lost & Found

post a message with info.

https://nextdoor.com/neighborhood/quaillakeca--clovis--ca/ cant post a message

https://www.cityofmenifee.us/146/Animal-Services

San Gorgonio Wilderness Association

34701 Mill Creek Rd., Mentone, CA 92359

909-382-2906, Fax 909-794-1125 (shared)

[email protected]

www.SGWA.org

SUPPORT THE SGWA AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU. PLEASE SEARCH THE INTERNET AT

http://www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=833647

post a picture here https://www.afv.org/animals/

Western Riverside: (951) 358-7387 (PETS)
San Jacinto: (951) 358-7387
Coachella Valley: (760) 343-3644
Blythe: (760) 921-7857
Toll Free: 1-888-636-7387 (PETS)

https://www.rcdas.org/index.php/lost-found-pets/lost-and-found-pets-map

https://www.petsadoption.com/

https://ramonahumanesociety.org/
Truly hope this has a happy ending.
I’d take a dog over a human 9 times out of 10.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
👍

Some people just look at me funny when I remark I like dogs better than most humans I run upon.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Throw your dog and wife in the trunk of your car and drive around the block a few times. See which one is still happy to see you when you let them out.

A dog's love is unconditional.

Prayers for Scout's safe return.
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
I've been following this thread Rick and I feel badly for you. There's still hope. I pray you two are reunited very soon!

Bob
Posted By: lightman Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/24/22
Wishing you and Scout the best!
Hoping for the best on this one, Rick.
Hang in there, Scout, your Dad will find you!
Yeah, this is tough.

Anybody with dogs knows the pain of having to put one down. Your situation with Scout is worse than that.

I'm pulling for a reunion.
More Prayers sent from TX !
My best wishes,,
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Still hoping for the best outcome for you and scout
Posted By: kendibs Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Best of luck to you in her hopeful recovery.

-Ken
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Dogs are, Family.
Posted By: cowdoc Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
God speaking to an Angel--"Earth? I'd have blown it up a long time ago it it weren't for dogs."
I hope for the best her. I like my dogs far better than I do most people. I lost one of my 4 yesterday morning when the soon to be ex-wife called me at 8am yesterday morning to tell me that our youngest dog was dead. She insisted on taking them to her new rental home in town next to a major highway instead of leaving them on the 200-acre farm about 1 mile away from the nearest road that has a very large fenced in area around the home where they can run free without danger. Too bad he got hit by a vehicle instead of the soon to be ex-wife, he had a lot more to offer this world than she does.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Dogs are, Family.
That's a fact Jack!
My dog is truly my best friend! I love her more than people!
Posted By: Houser52 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Our 14 year old Jack Russell, Lucy, passed about 5 years ago and I still miss her everyday.
Originally Posted by gsganzer
Throw your dog and wife in the trunk of your car and drive around the block a few times. See which one is still happy to see you when you let them out.

A dog's love is unconditional.

Prayers for Scout's safe return.

It don't matter who's wife I throw in the trunk they all come out madder than a hornet.
Posted By: g5m Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Best wishes to you, Rick Bin. Sounds bad.
Still hoping for you....
Posted By: pullit Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Rick, hoping for the best
Hey Rick,

SITREP?
Our Bailey sends her best wishes that you find you pup !
Posted By: jdunham Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
I have been in this situation and it makes for an exhausting few days. Still hoping for the best here.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
I’m still hoping this will have a good outcome. I’ve lost dogs in the bush and it took weeks for them to turn up somewhere.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
At this point, it’s going to take a miracle ...

Thanks for the support gents, and the tips.

The house is not the same the last few days. Gonna take some getting used-to.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Dogs are family.

In time, Rick, you will need a new pup.
I'm sorry Rick, sounds like you all had a really good run.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Sorry to hear Rick.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Jeez, Rick, I feel for you, amigo.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Well, scheidt.

Sorry to hear that Rick, but miracles do happen.

I'll ask my old dog Bruno to send his mojo Scout's way. He disappeared for 2-3 weeks once and came back in good shape. Someone had been taking care of him.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
That is awful!

Sorry Rick.
Posted By: pullit Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Sorry to hear
Sorry to hear, was hoping for better news. Hopefully your pup will show up soon.
So sorry to read this. I keep checking this thread hoping for a "FOUND HER".
I know where I 'd be next wknd.
frown
Posted By: Raeford Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
So sorry Rick, but still holding out hope!
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
A couple of years ago I lost a Black And White English Pointer, we saddled horses and scoured the country looking for her, no luck, a week later a rancher 65 miles North called he had her got our # off the collar, there's always hope. Good Luck Rio7
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Sorry to read this.

Same thing happened to me with a 14 year old pointer. She was pretty much deaf but could still run off... Fortunately I had a beeper collar on her and picked her up a few hours after dark. When I get another dog I'm getting one of those collars with GPS.
Rick, what area were you in and was Scout microchipped?

Phil
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by jackmountain
👍

Some people just look at me funny when I remark I like dogs better than most humans I run upon.
Alot of us feel the same way...
At this point, it’s going to take a miracle ...

Thanks for the support gents, and the tips.

The house is not the same the last few days. Gonna take some getting used-to.

Sorry it has come to this point man.

Suuuks...
😔😔😔
I had a coon dog with collar show up at my kennels about 10 years ago. It wouldn’t let me near it for several days. I would leave a bowl of food and water out. After about 5 days it was completely fine with me and I was able to read the tag on the collar. Called the number and the gentleman was very leery when I told him I had his hound. He showed up and after talking with him, he said he lost it over a month ago and close to 100 miles away.

My guess is someone picked it up (stole) and was trying to hunt it and it once again was lost.

Anyway, they left the owner’s collar on so he got his dog back.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
When it's time, it's time.
Not a bad way to go. Doing what he was made for and probably loved doing.
Sorry it turned out this way
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by RUM7
Not a bad way to go. Doing what he was made for and probably loved doing.

Well said, R7....A lot of us wouldn’t mind our last trip being on a hunt.

Sorry, Rick.

🦫
Posted By: RickBin Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Rick, what area were you in and was Scout microchipped?

Phil

Phil:

Quail Lake (Gorman), and yes, she was chipped.
Posted By: IMR4350 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Rick, this may sound like a dumb question but can you use your other dog to track her scent?
I hope you find her. Best of luck.
There are quite a few dog rescues in the area, and quite a few national databases online. I've always tried to contact all the local rescues and veterinarians with the dog's information and microchip number. And there are a few main national databases you might call giving them the information.

Phil
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
So sorry Rick. Praying for that Miracle.
Posted By: Brazos Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by RUM7
Not a bad way to go. Doing what she was made for and probably loved doing.

I'm still holding out hope, Rick, but if she is indeed gone I agree with RUM7.
Posted By: las Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
I had a coon dog with collar show up at my kennels about 10 years ago. It wouldn’t let me near it for several days. I would leave a bowl of food and water out. After about 5 days it was completely fine with me and I was able to read the tag on the collar. Called the number and the gentleman was very leery when I told him I had his hound. He showed up and after talking with him, he said he lost it over a month ago and close to 100 miles away.

My guess is someone picked it up (stole) and was trying to hunt it and it once again was lost.

Anyway, they left the owner’s collar on so he got his dog back.

That happens. A local went into Safeway, leaving his collared/tagged Lab in the back of his PU. Came out, the dog was gone.

All the usual followed to find, including reward posted, no luck.

The next summer he came out of the same store and found his Lab, sans collor and tag, sitting in the PU bed, ecstatic to see him. I'm guessing the "new owner"t got a little careless, and the dog took care of the rest.

This - on a lighter note:

When we moved back to Ak in 1980, after two years Outside, we were dead broke, with one vehicle, and me un-employed. A friend let us live in his wood-heat, no amenenities cabin out of town. The windows were just clear plastic, but boy did that barrel stove work!

One weekend, Bud (the owner) was down and stayed over. Saturday morning, my wife took our rig to work at the school, 25 miles away. Just after she left, I let the Lab out. It was probably -10 out, so after a couple hours i got concerned, called, shot rifle in air - no luck bring the dog back after another hour..

I figured he must have gone after my wife, so Bud and I went looking in his rig.

Sure enough, a couple miles down the highway, there he was, loping along on the snow machine trail in the ditch on the way home. We stopped, he stopped, and looked at me like, "Am I in trouble?",

I got out, held the back door open, told him to to "get in". He did, gave Bud an ear lick, then when I got in, I got one too. We turned around and started back, when I noticed some white on his chest. Brushed the frost off, only it was 3 white hairs.... My dog didn' have any, and my dog had a chipped canine (which I checked for) - this one didn't.

"Bud, we have to turn around - this isn't my dog!"

We took him the half mile back to where we picked him up, and dumped him out.

He just stood there looking at us:... "I can't believe this chit...! You were giving me a ride home!"

Had it not been for the 3 white hairs and canine tooth check, I'd have had me a free dog.... smile

Bud growled: "That's the trouble with Labs; all them black folk look alike!"

When we got back to the cabin, my dog was sitting on the porch with a "Where the heck have you guys been?" look on his face.

Must have been an in-heat bitch somewhere within a mile or so (There was about 4' of snow on the ground, too.)
When we were kids quite a few of the guys around had running hounds for coyotes.

Several times they would get a call weeks later of a hound being 50+ miles from home.

Even with tracking collars once they get out of the area you thought they were in the collar did no good.

Also remember the hunting shirt/coat/water cracker ordeal. Pull up and there would be a hound.

Sometimes they would show up at home days later and even after being cast 20 miles from home.
Fingers crossed for your Scout showing up out there somewhere, somehow.......... Lots of stories of dogs being found or coming home days, weeks ,months and even years later. Very positive that she is microchipped; if she shows up at a vets or animal shelter, etc they will make the match happen.

We will say a prayer for Scout's safe return this evening....
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Here’s hoping for a positive outcome. Sad not knowing.
Posted By: shaman Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
I'm going outside and shaking my rattle for you and Scout. I hope it works.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Had a starving foxhound show up at our place some 20 years back.
When I called the owner he informed that it had been about a week since he had lost it.
Don't give up!
Posted By: barm Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Prayers sent. I hope you find your dog soon.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Take comfort in knowing Scout was doing something he loved. My condolences Rick.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Here is a story I know is true, as how one man found his lost dog. (In no way, shape, or form, am I suggesting Rick try this. Probably couldn't find the right person, anyway. smile )

Years ago, while I was still in college, my dad owned a lumber & building materials business in Little Rock, Ark. One of his salesmen, who when he was not working, was a Bob white quail hunting fool. He owned three highly trained English pointers. This was long before chips and tracking collars, etc.

One Monday he came to work and was extremely upset. Over the weekend, while hunting quail, one of his English pointers just "disappeared." No matter what he did, he could not find his dog no matter how he, then his son and wife helping, looked, the dog was gone.

The lumber yard manager, a middle aged black man, told the distraught salesman to call a certain telephone number and tell the old woman who answered he told the salesman to call her. The salesman asked, how an old woman could help find his lost dog? The black man said, "I ain't sayin' she can find your dog, but she might. She's been known to "find" other lost things. She's a "conjur woman."

The salesman was skeptical but had no other choice, so he called her. She gave him her address in the black community and told hm to bring something belonging to the dog with him. He took the dog's blanket and went to see her. He later said she, a black woman, lived in a small "shotgun" style house and was over 80 years old. He gave her the blanket. She went into a back room. After awhile, she came out, handed him the blanket and told him to go to a small town south of Little Rock and ask for XXXXX. He said that was nowhere close to where he was hunting. She told him, "Go there." He asked how much she wanted and she said, "Five dollars." He paid her and left.

He drove to the small town, asked for the man the "conjur woman" told him about, went to see him and sure enough, the man had his dog. Found him running in the bushes "up the road" so he brought him home. No name on the collar. The salesman tried to pay the man who'd found his dog but he refused payment. Said he was glad he could help out. He had dogs too.

I talked with the salesman later and he was astounded but was very happy he'd got his dog back. Could not explain how the old "conjur woman" determined where his dog was ... and didn't care. His dog was home.

So, if any of you boys lose something very valuable to you, just go find yourself a ...... wink

FWIW.

L.W.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
I believe the story.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Scared the venereal disease outta me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Dang, I read the whole thread hoping for a happy ending.

Well, it may turn out. A few years ago I found an extremely old and completely blind dog in our shrubbery. He was covered in fleas and extremely dirty. His coat was filthy and he looked like he had been outside forever and he could barely move. My wife posted his picture on Facebook and within a few hours the owners came and got that dog. He had been gone for weeks and they lived way across town. He had somehow gotten out of their backyard. How that deaf and completely blind dog made it all the way across town and how he had survived for weeks in the condition he was in was a mystery, but he had and it was a happy ending for all.
I truly hope this ends well.
I love dogs.
They are the very definition of unconditional love.
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I truly hope this ends well.
I love dogs.
They are the very definition of unconditional love.

This ^^^^
So very sorry to hear about this, Rick. I hope you find your little girl. We lost our 14-year-old beagle just a few weeks ago, and "heartbroken" is an apt description. Prayers that this turns out well for you.
Posted By: Malcolm Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Go out again ,and do some shooting with your shotgun, she may come to that and take some pals with you to do the same. Keep trying; you'll be glad you did.
Was hunting pheasants in a tall crp field with my Gordon setter we were working the brushy area by the water course when I lost sight of her. Cal led for her half the afternoon and no dog. Spent the rest of the day looking , no dog. Walked out to the truck about sundown ,no dog. I gave it one more shot walked back to where I last saw her and called. She came out from under some brush. She and I were both glad to see each other.I guess she just finally returned to where she last saw me . ..mb
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Was hunting pheasants in a tall crp field with my Gordon setter we were working the brushy area by the water course when I lost sight of her. Cal led for her half the afternoon and no dog. Spent the rest of the day looking , no dog. Walked out to the truck about sundown ,no dog. I gave it one more shot walked back to where I last saw her and called. She came out from under some brush. She and I were both glad to see each other.I guess she just finally returned to where she last saw me . ..mb

I always thought Gordon’s to be beautiful dogs.

Hope Bin’s story has a happy ending.
Posted By: 160user Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
I hope everything works out Rick and don't give up hope. In 92 we lost a Walker hound hunting cats near Lolo Pass on the ID/MT border. This would have been early October I would guess and we found him alive and (skinny) well in April. Miracles do happen!
Posted By: Dutch Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
I'm still hoping, until there's proof she's crossed the rainbow bridge.
Posted By: Diesel Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/25/22
Rick, with all the people on here wishing and hoping for Scout's return, it has got to be some serious mojo at work here. Believe it will happen and stay positive.
Posted By: 348srfun Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/26/22
No matter how long, just don't ever give up. We had a Brittney that disappeared from the house and was gone months. Near the end of hunting season he showed back up. We took him to the vet and he had been shot with birdshot. He was my son's pet not trained for hunting anything but him. Lived many more years. Fingers crossed.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Here is a story I know is true, as how one man found his lost dog. (In no way, shape, or form, am I suggesting Rick try this. Probably couldn't find the right person, anyway. smile )

Years ago, while I was still in college, my dad owned a lumber & building materials business in Little Rock, Ark. One of his salesmen, who when he was not working, was a Bob white quail hunting fool. He owned three highly trained English pointers. This was long before chips and tracking collars, etc.

One Monday he came to work and was extremely upset. Over the weekend, while hunting quail, one of his English pointers just "disappeared." No matter what he did, he could not find his dog no matter how he, then his son and wife helping, looked, the dog was gone.

The lumber yard manager, a middle aged black man, told the distraught salesman to call a certain telephone number and tell the old woman who answered he told the salesman to call her. The salesman asked, how an old woman could help find his lost dog? The black man said, "I ain't sayin' she can find your dog, but she might. She's been known to "find" other lost things. She's a "conjur woman."

The salesman was skeptical but had no other choice, so he called her. She gave him her address in the black community and told hm to bring something belonging to the dog with him. He took the dog's blanket and went to see her. He later said she, a black woman, lived in a small "shotgun" style house and was over 80 years old. He gave her the blanket. She went into a back room. After awhile, she came out, handed him the blanket and told him to go to a small town south of Little Rock and ask for XXXXX. He said that was nowhere close to where he was hunting. She told him, "Go there." He asked how much she wanted and she said, "Five dollars." He paid her and left.

He drove to the small town, asked for the man the "conjur woman" told him about, went to see him and sure enough, the man had his dog. Found him running in the bushes "up the road" so he brought him home. No name on the collar. The salesman tried to pay the man who'd found his dog but he refused payment. Said he was glad he could help out. He had dogs too.

I talked with the salesman later and he was astounded but was very happy he'd got his dog back. Could not explain how the old "conjur woman" determined where his dog was ... and didn't care. His dog was home.

So, if any of you boys lose something very valuable to you, just go find yourself a ...... wink

FWIW.

L.W.
I heard a similar tale, but it involved an old bridge along a quiet stretch of road and a few notes on a hunting horn.

I hope Scout and Rick are reunited soon.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/26/22
Rick, does the area you were hunting have the type of soil that allows the water to bore subsurface tunnels with just a few inches of dirt over the tunnels? One of the places I’ve hunted in Colorado has soil like that and you have to really watch your step, otherwise you can drop into a big hole underneath.
Maybe get someone to help and search the area where you last saw her, looking for hidden holes.

Praying for the best.
Cant find the pics, but after their house burned down I took in my Ex-BiL’s 15yo mini-wiener dog, which in her younger dayd had puppies and been house trained (sort of) in our house. By the time of the fire she was toothless, deaf and nearly blind.

They had kept her as an outside dog, and she lived in a sometime heated crate for a year on my front porch, slow and blind, never left the yard.

One night when I got home she was gone, the next day I looked and looked, took my other dog with me. Finally found her curled up in some long grass in an alley about a block from my house.

She wouldn’t walk so I picked her up and carried her home, she died a few days later. I can’t say she wandered off to die tho she probably would have died out there. More like some switch was thrown in her aging brain, changing her behavior.

She did not appear fearful or distressed when I found her, I think she was past all that.
Posted By: bpas105 Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/27/22
Still praying for Scout's return, Rick.
Posted By: Diesel Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/27/22
When old dogs are at the end of days, especially outdoor type dogs, they wander off to a quiet spot to pass on. Several of our dogs have done this over the years. It seems like they don't want to stress their old friends, or they just want to pass alone.

Been thinking that's how I want to do it.
Posted By: lightman Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/27/22
Still hoping for a happy reunion!
So say we all.

Originally Posted by lightman
Still hoping for a happy reunion!
Hang in there Scout, your Dad will find you. If my neighbor's 14 year old Beagle can be saved, after being mauled by a black bear and spending a week in the woods, anything is possible.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/27/22
First off, thanks to all for the mojo. It is appreciated.

Went back again this morning.

No birds, no bones, no smell, no Scout, no nothing.

Got incredible satisfaction out of smoking a coyote about 1/2 mile down canyon. Best coyote ever, dammit.

Refreshed the water bowl, kennel and t-shirt still out there. Going back in the morning ...
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/27/22
Here’s hoping!

Must be fun whacking coyotes.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/27/22
Damn Rick. Best wishes for Scout.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/27/22
We're still checking with you, Rick. Scout knows you're trying to find her.
Wishing y'all the best Rick.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/27/22
Wishin' you the best as well. Couple thoughts, maybe useless, but is there any way you can camp there, or if not, put out a trail cam to see if she comes by?
I’d hate to be a coyote anywhere in that vicinity.

Still hoping for a miracle for you Rick.
👍👍👍
Wish you luck Rick
It sucks not knowing
We had a 14 year old Hy-bread Wolf walk away from us on our Property in Arizona late at night.
She could not walk more that 15 ft at a time due to her hips

We spent an Extra 2 weeks 3 weeks total up there looking for her from sun up to sun down.
It tore me up something fierce.

2 Weeks after we got home I got a call from a property owner up there.
He had found Shadow and they took her to a lady that takes care of animals up there.
That night she passed on.

It still gets to me when I think about it.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/27/22
c'mon Scout, head home
Fingers still crossed for you.
Originally Posted by KFWA
c'mon Scout, head home

There you go!
Posted By: billtrev Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/27/22
More Mojo headed Scouts way.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/27/22
The Good Shepherd cares for all his creatures. Not a sparrow falls to the ground that He does not see...

A prayer sent, Friend.
Been hunting pheasants in South Dakota this week. This terrible story has had me paranoid to let my dog out of my sight. I’ll be getting a gps collar in the near future. I sure hope Rick finds his dog.
Posted By: Daveman Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/28/22
Once Scout reads this thread, he'll be home in a jiffy.

Fingers crossed. Come on, pup. Lotsa folks pulling for a reunion.
Hanging in here with you Rick.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I’d hate to be a coyote anywhere in that vicinity.

Still hoping for a miracle for you Rick.

^^^This^^^

Hang in there Rick !
Prayers sent for both you & Scout!
Originally Posted by P_Weed
The Good Shepherd cares for all his creatures. Not a sparrow falls to the ground that He does not see...

A prayer sent, Friend.

Sometimes we tend to forget that, HE knows where every one of his critters is, and Scout is not alone. Please don't feel like you are either, Rick...
Another prayers sent.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/29/22
I've been checking in on this thread to see if Scout has made it home several times a day. Most of us have probably had a similar experience. We don't understand how much more than just a pet/hunting companion a dog becomes until we lose one. Hoping and praying that he turns up.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/29/22
Just got back. Searched for her all day, and no sign. Thought I caught a glimpse of some pointy (not spaniel) ears popping out of the sage headed the other way just in the area I lost her ... but can’t be sure.

Saw a coyote on the way in about the same place I smoked one yesterday.

Ran into a couple of coveys, shot my share, Jet really coming along great, wearing her new Garmin collar with no ill effects.

Took a dink forky (a definite shooter in this Cali zone) at last light. Wanted to fill my tag as I have OOS plans. Got him tagged and prepped up, got home and cleaned quail.

Ready for bed.

Everybody is still on high alert, but ...

It’s been six days.
Posted By: Partsman Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/29/22
Really sorry to hear this, but try not to give up hope.

Lotta folks pulling for you and a lot that wish we could help search.
Maybe a miracle will happen, some lost pets can show up long after they first go missing.
Sleep well Rick. The gang is still pulling for you and your dog.

Take care

Congrats on a good day in the field.
Posted By: DMc Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/29/22
Thanks Rick for the heads-up. A lot of us haven’t been vocal about Scout disappearing but are hopeful she’s found. I’m still optimistic someone’s going to call the number on her collar. Have faith.
Posted By: ctsmith Re: Heartbroken right now … - 10/29/22
Rick, on the bright side, you had one heck of a day otherwise.
I’m happy to hear you’re getting on with getting on Mr Bin.
Posted By: Otter Re: Heartbroken right now … - 11/04/22
Rick - still praying for you and Scout. Keep the faith . . .
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Heartbroken right now … - 11/04/22
Dogs, are, family.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Heartbroken right now … - 11/04/22
Feel for your loss,

But we’ve all been there.

Lord giveth, and taketh away.

Heal.
I remain hopeful.
Originally Posted by Otter

Amen !
Posted By: Dutch Re: Heartbroken right now … - 11/04/22
Originally Posted by Otter

We are.
Watching the kids and dog’s playing this morning reminded me of the ones that aren’t with us anymore

Description: Dogs
Attached picture 98D053CD-04FC-40A8-9E10-257AD062B955.jpeg
Scout is in heaven. You will see her again.
Glanced at the Colorado shooting thread just a minute ago... no wonder we have so many problems in our world today on ALL sides of an issue. Disheartening for sure BUT free speech as well. All I can do is worry about myself and hope I take the high road as much as my mortal weakness allows. I digress...

Back to this thread which has also garnered my attention for other selfish reasons. I have been without my GSP "Dutch" now for almost 3 years since putting her down (age and infirmity.) Bird hunting has just not been the same without a good dog and those days sadly are now in the rear view mirror for me. As I contemplate those many things in my life I have to be "thankful" for today, one pretty high on the list is the relationships and cherished moments I have enjoyed with my dogs over the years.

"Man's best friend," a pretty lofty and well deserved title. I am thankful, and Rick, I know you share the same sentiments. I am sorry for your loss despite ongoing hopes expressed by all the members.
Posted By: AZmark Re: Heartbroken right now … - 11/25/22
Its hard to loose a best friend.
But the joy they bring and you giving them a good life makes it worth the grief.
Good Luck
Hope you can find her!
Did you leave anything there? Years ago, I lost Flash up the hollow about 6 miles from home. Before I left, I took my sweatshirt off and tied the sleeves around a tree., shirt laying on the ground . Went up the next morning and she was laying on the shirt!
Damn, I miss that dog. The only thing better than having a dog as a hunting partner, is having your Dad or your Son or your Spouse as the same.
I’ll remember you in prayer.
7mm
Friend Rick,

Karen and I are praying hard for both you and Scout.

We truly hope that Scout returns to you ... and, if not, be assured that she will live with you in your heart until you join her at the other end of the Rainbow Bridge.

Blessings to you and your family, my friend,

Steve
© 24hourcampfire