-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick, with all the people on here wishing and hoping for Scout's return, it has got to be some serious mojo at work here. Believe it will happen and stay positive.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No matter how long, just don't ever give up. We had a Brittney that disappeared from the house and was gone months. Near the end of hunting season he showed back up. We took him to the vet and he had been shot with birdshot. He was my son's pet not trained for hunting anything but him. Lived many more years. Fingers crossed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Here is a story I know is true, as how one man found his lost dog. (In no way, shape, or form, am I suggesting Rick try this. Probably couldn't find the right person, anyway. smile )

Years ago, while I was still in college, my dad owned a lumber & building materials business in Little Rock, Ark. One of his salesmen, who when he was not working, was a Bob white quail hunting fool. He owned three highly trained English pointers. This was long before chips and tracking collars, etc.

One Monday he came to work and was extremely upset. Over the weekend, while hunting quail, one of his English pointers just "disappeared." No matter what he did, he could not find his dog no matter how he, then his son and wife helping, looked, the dog was gone.

The lumber yard manager, a middle aged black man, told the distraught salesman to call a certain telephone number and tell the old woman who answered he told the salesman to call her. The salesman asked, how an old woman could help find his lost dog? The black man said, "I ain't sayin' she can find your dog, but she might. She's been known to "find" other lost things. She's a "conjur woman."

The salesman was skeptical but had no other choice, so he called her. She gave him her address in the black community and told hm to bring something belonging to the dog with him. He took the dog's blanket and went to see her. He later said she, a black woman, lived in a small "shotgun" style house and was over 80 years old. He gave her the blanket. She went into a back room. After awhile, she came out, handed him the blanket and told him to go to a small town south of Little Rock and ask for XXXXX. He said that was nowhere close to where he was hunting. She told him, "Go there." He asked how much she wanted and she said, "Five dollars." He paid her and left.

He drove to the small town, asked for the man the "conjur woman" told him about, went to see him and sure enough, the man had his dog. Found him running in the bushes "up the road" so he brought him home. No name on the collar. The salesman tried to pay the man who'd found his dog but he refused payment. Said he was glad he could help out. He had dogs too.

I talked with the salesman later and he was astounded but was very happy he'd got his dog back. Could not explain how the old "conjur woman" determined where his dog was ... and didn't care. His dog was home.

So, if any of you boys lose something very valuable to you, just go find yourself a ...... wink

FWIW.

L.W.
I heard a similar tale, but it involved an old bridge along a quiet stretch of road and a few notes on a hunting horn.

I hope Scout and Rick are reunited soon.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Rick, does the area you were hunting have the type of soil that allows the water to bore subsurface tunnels with just a few inches of dirt over the tunnels? One of the places I’ve hunted in Colorado has soil like that and you have to really watch your step, otherwise you can drop into a big hole underneath.
Maybe get someone to help and search the area where you last saw her, looking for hidden holes.

Praying for the best.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cant find the pics, but after their house burned down I took in my Ex-BiL’s 15yo mini-wiener dog, which in her younger dayd had puppies and been house trained (sort of) in our house. By the time of the fire she was toothless, deaf and nearly blind.

They had kept her as an outside dog, and she lived in a sometime heated crate for a year on my front porch, slow and blind, never left the yard.

One night when I got home she was gone, the next day I looked and looked, took my other dog with me. Finally found her curled up in some long grass in an alley about a block from my house.

She wouldn’t walk so I picked her up and carried her home, she died a few days later. I can’t say she wandered off to die tho she probably would have died out there. More like some switch was thrown in her aging brain, changing her behavior.

She did not appear fearful or distressed when I found her, I think she was past all that.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Still praying for Scout's return, Rick.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When old dogs are at the end of days, especially outdoor type dogs, they wander off to a quiet spot to pass on. Several of our dogs have done this over the years. It seems like they don't want to stress their old friends, or they just want to pass alone.

Been thinking that's how I want to do it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Still hoping for a happy reunion!

lightman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So say we all.

Originally Posted by lightman
Still hoping for a happy reunion!

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hang in there Scout, your Dad will find you. If my neighbor's 14 year old Beagle can be saved, after being mauled by a black bear and spending a week in the woods, anything is possible.

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
First off, thanks to all for the mojo. It is appreciated.

Went back again this morning.

No birds, no bones, no smell, no Scout, no nothing.

Got incredible satisfaction out of smoking a coyote about 1/2 mile down canyon. Best coyote ever, dammit.

Refreshed the water bowl, kennel and t-shirt still out there. Going back in the morning ...

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Here’s hoping!

Must be fun whacking coyotes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn Rick. Best wishes for Scout.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We're still checking with you, Rick. Scout knows you're trying to find her.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wishing y'all the best Rick.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wishin' you the best as well. Couple thoughts, maybe useless, but is there any way you can camp there, or if not, put out a trail cam to see if she comes by?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’d hate to be a coyote anywhere in that vicinity.

Still hoping for a miracle for you Rick.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
👍👍👍

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Wish you luck Rick
It sucks not knowing
We had a 14 year old Hy-bread Wolf walk away from us on our Property in Arizona late at night.
She could not walk more that 15 ft at a time due to her hips

We spent an Extra 2 weeks 3 weeks total up there looking for her from sun up to sun down.
It tore me up something fierce.

2 Weeks after we got home I got a call from a property owner up there.
He had found Shadow and they took her to a lady that takes care of animals up there.
That night she passed on.

It still gets to me when I think about it.

Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,280
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.