Home
Posted By: RickBin GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
Gonna leave that other thread behind.

Need a GPS unit for at least one dog, almost certainly another in the future. Would like GPS tracking, correction, beeper, and a decent screen that works in the field.

Also, anyone use Apple tags on a pooch?

Gonna move on this asap, so would appreciate any input or recommendations.

Thanks all ...
Posted By: Slowtrollr Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
Not sure which kind that guy on Mtn men that chases mountain lions uses, he knows exactly where they are ridges away… maybe look at what the trackers use.

Sorry about the pup. GL.
Posted By: ribka Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
Rick been following your saga

I run two dogs and use Garmin products. I run the Garmin alphas. Id stay away from apple tags for hunting. They work ok in urban settings but cough up the money and buy a dedicated gps hunting collars. I always put light weight blaze orange vests on dogs in hotter weather and heavier version in snow so they are much easier to find too. Something to think about

These guys are great to deal with. Give them a call and express your needs and they can guide you

https://www.gundogsupply.com/dog-training-collars-buyers-guide.html?megamenumenu
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
I
Originally Posted by ribka

I run two dogs and use Garmin products. I run the Garmin alphas. Id stay away from apple tags for hunting. They work ok in urban settings but cough up the money and buy a dedicated gps hunting collars. I always put light weight blaze orange vests on dogs in hotter weather and heavier version in snow so they are much easier to find too. Something to think about

These guys are great to deal with. Give them a call and express your needs and they can guide you

https://www.gundogsupply.com/dog-training-collars-buyers-guide.html?megamenumenu

I'm the same with Garmin collars and also highly recommend the link provided. They are good people, I have been using them for years.
Posted By: Slowtrollr Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by ribka

WOW, I forgot all about that place. Great resource, thanks for sharing and the reminder.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
Garmin Astro 430 Handheld:

Link

You can probably get it a little cheaper than at Ray Allen, but I like dealing with them.

Phil
Posted By: Raeford Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
Son and pretty much all the other bear hunters he runs with use the Garmin Alphas.
Posted By: RickBin Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
Done.

Garmin Alpha 200/TT15X.

Arriving Thursday and on Jet’s neck Friday.

Thanks all.
Rick,

I run the Garmin Alpha 200 for both my GSP’s. The unit is wonderful. PM me if you have any questions about how to set it up. You’ve been on my mind and in my prayers.
Posted By: RickBin Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
Appreciated.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
From my digging into this in the past:

Garmin Alphas are a good GPS unit with some training abilities.

Garmin Pro 550 Plus is a good training collar with GPS abilities.

Myself, I'm going to cough up for the 550 Plus, then pair it with the Garmin app on my phone and likely buy a cheap Garmin watch to pair to it.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
Rick,

We’ve been using a GPS on our dog for 4 years now. No downside, other than having to replace the unit once after Danner Boot got into a brawl with a pack of coons and one of them bit a hole in the unit, then tore it off of him. We still found it.

🦫
Posted By: ribka Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
you can sync too with Garmin watches

I use the hand held plus watch to track dogs
Posted By: renegade50 Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
👍👍👍
Posted By: Robster Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
Garmin Alpha 100 and TT15 collar. TT refers to track and train. Both beep and electric stimulation.
I buy through these guys. Fantastic support.

www.dusupply.com
Posted By: RupertBear Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by RickBin

...Also, anyone use Apple tags on a pooch? ...

Apple tags don't work for field dogs. They emit a short range Bluetooth signal. The reason it works on luggage and suchlike is the handlers who have an iPhone; the iPhone automatically sends the signal to the 'Cloud' where the registered user can see where it is. All unknowing to the handler, and Android phones won't do it.
RB
Posted By: MedRiver Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
Done.

Garmin Alpha 200/TT15X.

Arriving Thursday and on Jet’s neck Friday.

Thanks all.

Good choice. They all have their quirks. Be sure to do the software updates regularly.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
For day to day stuff, the Apple tags work great.
We have a GSP that can be a hard head. Silicone tag that has name, address and phone # off of Amazon.
Apple Air tag fits in it. Cheap peace of mind
Posted By: DMc Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
Originally Posted by RUM7
For day to day stuff, the Apple tags work great.
We have a GSP that can be a hard head. Silicone tag that has name, address and phone # off of Amazon.
Apple Air tag fits in it. Cheap peace of mind
Sounds cool. I'm going to order one. Is the location mapping finely detailed?
Posted By: tzone Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
Timely thread. I'm going to need one for our GSP.
Posted By: sako4me Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/25/22
Getting one for our 9 month old springer!
Posted By: RAS Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/27/22
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Garmin Astro 430 Handheld:

Link

You can probably get it a little cheaper than at Ray Allen, but I like dealing with them.

Phil

+1

I use this unit for 2 dogs. Works great.

Don’t buy one of those cheap units from Tractor Supply. They suck. Spend according to what your dogs means to you. The Astro 430 will get you to your pup.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/27/22
I cannot comment of the GPS collars, but I used a shock collar on my Marxist brother to try and shock him back to reality. Much to my chagrin, and after months of training, I found that it didn't work.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/27/22
Garmin Alpha, I've been using one for 8 years. My buddy got a new one, I think it has an In-Reach sat phone.
Posted By: KFWA Re: GPS Collars ... Which? - 10/27/22

Need a GPS unit for at least one dog, almost certainly another in the future. Would like GPS tracking, correction, beeper, and a decent screen that works in the field.

Also, anyone use Apple tags on a pooch?

Gonna move on this asap, so would appreciate any input or recommendations.

Thanks all ...
I have an apple tag on a damn cat that runs off for days at a time

but out in the country it won't do any good - as I understand it, it has to connect to a bluetooth device , preferably an apple device in order to send location info, so it really for suburban/city

I looked into GPS collars but I thought the monthly fee was too high, If it was only a couple of buck a month I'd do it, but every one I looked at was more than I thought the service was worth.
© 24hourcampfire