Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gonna leave that other thread behind.

Need a GPS unit for at least one dog, almost certainly another in the future. Would like GPS tracking, correction, beeper, and a decent screen that works in the field.

Also, anyone use Apple tags on a pooch?

Gonna move on this asap, so would appreciate any input or recommendations.

Thanks all ...

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Not sure which kind that guy on Mtn men that chases mountain lions uses, he knows exactly where they are ridges away… maybe look at what the trackers use.

Sorry about the pup. GL.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Rick been following your saga

I run two dogs and use Garmin products. I run the Garmin alphas. Id stay away from apple tags for hunting. They work ok in urban settings but cough up the money and buy a dedicated gps hunting collars. I always put light weight blaze orange vests on dogs in hotter weather and heavier version in snow so they are much easier to find too. Something to think about

These guys are great to deal with. Give them a call and express your needs and they can guide you

https://www.gundogsupply.com/dog-training-collars-buyers-guide.html?megamenumenu

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I
Originally Posted by ribka

I run two dogs and use Garmin products. I run the Garmin alphas. Id stay away from apple tags for hunting. They work ok in urban settings but cough up the money and buy a dedicated gps hunting collars. I always put light weight blaze orange vests on dogs in hotter weather and heavier version in snow so they are much easier to find too. Something to think about

These guys are great to deal with. Give them a call and express your needs and they can guide you

https://www.gundogsupply.com/dog-training-collars-buyers-guide.html?megamenumenu

I'm the same with Garmin collars and also highly recommend the link provided. They are good people, I have been using them for years.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by ribka

WOW, I forgot all about that place. Great resource, thanks for sharing and the reminder.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Garmin Astro 430 Handheld:

Link

You can probably get it a little cheaper than at Ray Allen, but I like dealing with them.

Phil

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Son and pretty much all the other bear hunters he runs with use the Garmin Alphas.

FJB & FJT
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Done.

Garmin Alpha 200/TT15X.

Arriving Thursday and on Jet’s neck Friday.

Thanks all.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rick,

I run the Garmin Alpha 200 for both my GSP’s. The unit is wonderful. PM me if you have any questions about how to set it up. You’ve been on my mind and in my prayers.

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Appreciated.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
From my digging into this in the past:

Garmin Alphas are a good GPS unit with some training abilities.

Garmin Pro 550 Plus is a good training collar with GPS abilities.

Myself, I'm going to cough up for the 550 Plus, then pair it with the Garmin app on my phone and likely buy a cheap Garmin watch to pair to it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rick,

We’ve been using a GPS on our dog for 4 years now. No downside, other than having to replace the unit once after Danner Boot got into a brawl with a pack of coons and one of them bit a hole in the unit, then tore it off of him. We still found it.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
you can sync too with Garmin watches

I use the hand held plus watch to track dogs

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
👍👍👍

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Garmin Alpha 100 and TT15 collar. TT refers to track and train. Both beep and electric stimulation.
I buy through these guys. Fantastic support.

www.dusupply.com

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickBin
Gonna leave that other thread behind.

...Also, anyone use Apple tags on a pooch? ...

Apple tags don't work for field dogs. They emit a short range Bluetooth signal. The reason it works on luggage and suchlike is the handlers who have an iPhone; the iPhone automatically sends the signal to the 'Cloud' where the registered user can see where it is. All unknowing to the handler, and Android phones won't do it.
RB

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RickBin
Done.

Garmin Alpha 200/TT15X.

Arriving Thursday and on Jet’s neck Friday.

Thanks all.

Good choice. They all have their quirks. Be sure to do the software updates regularly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For day to day stuff, the Apple tags work great.
We have a GSP that can be a hard head. Silicone tag that has name, address and phone # off of Amazon.
Apple Air tag fits in it. Cheap peace of mind

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RUM7
For day to day stuff, the Apple tags work great.
We have a GSP that can be a hard head. Silicone tag that has name, address and phone # off of Amazon.
Apple Air tag fits in it. Cheap peace of mind
Sounds cool. I'm going to order one. Is the location mapping finely detailed?

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Timely thread. I'm going to need one for our GSP.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 1minute, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,590
Posts18,473,439
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.