Home
Posted By: wabigoon Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/24/22
Anyone use it? How does it work for you?
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/24/22
I use it. Don’t have many fuel related issues in the winter. Supposedly is good to use with pre ultra low sulfur engines.
Posted By: Gaschekt Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/24/22
Bought a bottle for my diesel TDI Jetta a couple years ago. It still runs great. Switched to regular seafoam for something that looks cleaner. Howes came from the bottle with yellow color whereas seafoam looks like water
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/24/22
I was in the wholesale fuel business for 27 years. I'm a big believer in diesel fuel additives, as today's ULS diesel fuels are worse than ever.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/24/22
Thanks all.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/24/22
You have to be careful which type you use for different vehicles. Some are emulsifiers ,some are demulsifiers.
I saw a lot of Ram duallies stalled here when it was 20+ below zero.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/24/22
It would be for a Bobcat skidsteer, with a Kobata, and a IH 1486.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/24/22
We run it. Had four trucks out working during this last week of really cold weather. No issues.
Posted By: WildWest Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/24/22
I run it in my Dodge dually pickup that, started at 10 below and I went to town driving 40 to 65 mph and had no problems gelling up. I use it year round for a fuel conditioner.
Posted By: MadDog4298 Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/24/22

Done pretty good on Project Farms testing.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/25/22
It’s easiest to just buy winterized diesel. We order 50/50 for our winter diesel, and when it gets stupid cold (below -20), we’ll add Powerservice. Same with the Kenworth. Buy diesel fro Truckstops with winterized diesel, but we add Powerservice when it gets below 0. Those Paccar fuel filters aren’t heated and will gel up for no apparent reason.

As far as Howe’s, I prefer the Powerservice. I lost an injector once on the International using Howes (-33 degrees), which may well have been purely coincidental, but it keeps me from trusting it.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/25/22
Howes is one of just a few products that will actually kill the algae in diesel fuel..
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/25/22
Amsoil All in One is the best we ever used. Hot Shot Everyday is great for warmer weather.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/25/22
To some degree it depends on the purpose - antigelling, water dispersal, lubrication.

And also the type of engine. What works and is helpful in a non-DPF engine may not be appropriate for a DPF engine.
I'm not sure what they put in the diesel in prudhoe bay....but seen plenty of days to -50f and never put anything but straight fuel in the tanks.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/25/22
If you like Howes.....it doesn't get cold where you live.
Posted By: blanket Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/25/22
I use powerservice
Posted By: ihookem Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/25/22
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I was in the wholesale fuel business for 27 years. I'm a big believer in diesel fuel additives, as today's ULS diesel fuels are worse than ever.

Would you recommend Mobil, or BP diesel ? If not, what would you recommend?
Posted By: mtj21 Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/25/22
I use PowerService or Howes. Always have a jug of 911 in case.

I do not run soy diesel in tractor. Farm diesel with additives. Number 1 is best option to me, but I still add something.

BP that sells farm diesel or off the truck. But those are my only options for tractor.
Posted By: BALLISTIK Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/25/22
Here is the test done way back when ULSD was introduced, and I use a combination of TCW-3 2 stroke oil, and Powerservice DK+CB with every tank. I'm sure a new test could be conducted to update the results to current, but so far I haven't seen anyone attempt it.

https://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/25/22
In October I start filling my transfer tank with #1 and blend in a double shot of Stanadyne. That mixture gets blended into the remaining #2 that's in the various tractor fuel tanks.

By this time of year the #2 is long gone from the tanks and they're running on winter fuel.

Last few 100 gallon loads I've been adding Stanadyne every other fill up. Same for the pickups, add a jug at fill up.

I don't like dealing with fuel issues and see no reason to fiddle fuuck around and worry about things gelling up.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/25/22
Originally Posted by SamOlson
In October I start filling my transfer tank with #1 and blend in a double shot of Stanadyne. That mixture gets blended into the remaining #2 that's in the various tractor fuel tanks.

By this time of year the #2 is long gone from the tanks and they're running on winter fuel.

Last few 100 gallon loads I've been adding Stanadyne every other fill up. Same for the pickups, add a jug at fill up.

I don't like dealing with fuel issues and see no reason to fiddle fuuck around and worry about things gelling up.
Stanadyne is what we use year-round more so here for the extra lubrication in the newer fuels in older fuel pumps. maybe a different type under the same company that you all use up there where it's really freaking cold way too often. we have had zero fuel issues in years... use Howes if there's ever a sign of the algae in a fuel system somewhere..
Posted By: Deans Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/25/22
I've always have use Stanadyne Performance in my 2006 F250. Not had any problems.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/25/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
To some degree it depends on the purpose - antigelling, water dispersal, lubrication.

And also the type of engine. What works and is helpful in a non-DPF engine may not be appropriate for a DPF engine.

I use it year round mostly for lubrication on my older diesel engines. When I have engines that won't run at full throttle in the winter because of frozen fuel lines I use Power Service to open them up.
Posted By: andy57 Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/25/22
I prefer Power Service to Howes, We try to stay away from Bio diesel as that usually causes more problems than its worth.
Posted By: Dan_H Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/26/22
I used Howe's in my skid steer with heating fuel. Smoother and quieter running.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/26/22
Cummins recommends Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost and Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost

https://www.cummins.com/news/releas...ds-power-service-diesel-kleen-cetane-and

I always use something... and buy 50 Cetane whenever possible (Southern States).

Stanadyne, F-BOMB, Hot Shot...
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/26/22
Fuel filters last longer with a good fuel additive
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/26/22
Originally Posted by jwp475
Fuel filters last longer with s good fuel additive

+1

Good fuel, good air and good oil... and most well built diesels will run damn near forever.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/26/22
Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Would you recommend Mobil, or BP diesel ? If not, what would you recommend?

Most probably won't like to hear this but it's all the same, no difference. Whether it's a fuel terminal or refinery, once refined, diesel is stored in huge storage tanks. Whether we pulled diesel under suppliers like Shell, Pride, Flint Hills, Magellan, etc you will get a manifest showing exactly what you loaded, and regardless of the supplier the manifest shows the exact same specs. You can get data sheets for the batch of fuel in storage and its all the same. Minimum Cetane specs are State specific, and every batch of fuel sold after Oct 1 (around her anyway) is "winter spec" fuel.
Posted By: MarlinMark Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/27/22
Stanadyne is great.
it works great for freeing up rusty tools.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Howes Diesel Treatment? - 12/27/22
FPPF Total Power for me. Buddy owns a busy independent diesel service/parts shop and that's what he tells me to use.

I'm pretty vigilant about fuel and filters as well. Fuel-filter swaps every 10K Mi. Once we're steadily below freezing, I'll add a glug or 2 of additive with each fill, Sort of depends on how much fuel I need. More often than not, I'm filling with 1/2 to not less than 1/3 tank when it's cold out. If temps are going to be single-digits or below zero, I run #1 with additive. Current '11 F250 6.7L w/215K Mi hasn't ever gelled/stalled and I bought it brand-new.

I gelled my '06 6.0L Ford PSD once in -20F ambient weather when I got caught w/straight untreated #2 during an unforecast cold-snap in early Dec. and decided I was going to do whatever I could to avoid that goat-rope in the future.
© 24hourcampfire