Home
Posted By: kenoh2 Paczki? - 02/22/23
Grocery stores around here have been pushing them for weeks. Who here has succumbed to their siren song?

I'll admit, while checking out at Kroger today, I couldn't resist a four pack of lemon filled for $1.25.

The wife will be pissed (but will still eat at least one) and I will be on a sugar trip tomorrow morning at work.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Paczki? - 02/22/23
My wife brings 2 or 3 boxes of them home every time she goes to the grocery. The apple filled ones are great. Put one in the microwave for 30 seconds with a generous pat of butter on top.
Posted By: rong Re: Paczki? - 02/22/23
What is it,never heard of them.
Too lazy to gooly fu.
Originally Posted by rong
Too lazy to gooly fu.

Hollow pastries with various fillings covered in powdered sugar.
Posted By: rong Re: Paczki? - 02/22/23
Good?
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Paczki? - 02/22/23
The red headed air head that was Beijing Biden’s press secretary before the token black carpet muncher?….that the Pzaki you mean? 😂
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: Paczki? - 02/22/23
Too lazy to gooly fu.

Then you shall forever be lost... or spared... however you look at it.
Good?

Yeah,...just a sweet, filled pastry.

Polish origin, generally speaking.
I had Gołąbki for dinner and an apple paczki for dessert tonight.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Paczki? - 02/22/23
Any different from an eclair ?
Originally Posted by slumlord

Similar, I guess,...just rounder.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Paczki? - 02/22/23
So a donut hole with choice of flavored goo pumped in?

🤠
My wife, being half Polish and raised in a culturally Polish neighborhood in Ottawa, is always bringing home food from her youth. (there's a Polish food store in Lexington that she frequents)

One of the strangest things she brings home is chocolate covered prunes. I didn't know what to think of them. But they're very good. Each one is individually wrapped and you buy them by the pound. They have a very thick dark chocolate coating and the prunes are a bit on the dry side,...very chewy.

I didn't think I'd like them. But every time she brings home a sack of them I eat my share.

🤠

Bigger than a donut hole,...about 4" in diameter and an inch,..maybe an inch and a quarter thick.
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: Paczki? - 02/22/23

GTFOOH with that weak eclair crap. A paczki has 4x the fat and 5x the sugar.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Sinner...
They're for fat tuesday, today is the first day of Lent. Try the raspberry filled. 👌
Posted By: slumlord Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23
Originally Posted by kenoh2

Hey now

When I mention anything sugarly the one-footed diabetic fire breathing keto acidosis trolls come after me

😂😂😂😂
Posted By: kenoh2 Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23
Originally Posted by kenoh2

Hey now

When I mention anything sugarly the one-footed diabetic fire breathing keto acidosis trolls come after me

😂😂😂😂

LOL!

Thanks for being one of the brightest embers in the fire. Entertaining for sure.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Sinner...
They're for fat tuesday, today is the first day of Lent. Try the raspberry filled. 👌

I'm a Protestant. But my wife is Catholic. She went to Mass today and got her ash cross on her forehead.

She was a bit self conscious about it. But I encouraged her to leave it on all day.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23

🤠

If you get real Polish ones they are much heavier that any other pastries
If I eat 2 I can be so bloated its not good

The real ones also are really good fresh but quickly get stale

Hank
Posted By: lostleader Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23
My wife, being half Polish and raised in a culturally Polish neighborhood in Ottawa, is always bringing home food from her youth. (there's a Polish food store in Lexington that she frequents)

One of the strangest things she brings home is chocolate covered prunes. I didn't know what to think of them. But they're very good. Each one is individually wrapped and you buy them by the pound. They have a very thick dark chocolate coating and the prunes are a bit on the dry side,...very chewy.

I didn't think I'd like them. But every time she brings home a sack of them I eat my share.

My grandmother's family came from Prussia area and they they would make German/Polish type foods on occasion. Scwatzauer zoup (sic) or duck's blood soup was a late winter/early spring dish aound this time of year. Loaded with prunes potato dumplings, and vinegar.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23
My German mom called them
Bismark's

I never heard the Polish name before.
Had to Google it

Love em
One of my favorites is the Chocolate covered custard filled right out of the fryer so hot ya gotta let it cool down before you eat um

Sugar coated Raspberry filled maybe my second favorite

I haven't had them for years.

MMMMMMMMGOOOOOOD
Stuff
Posted By: softailrider Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23
They've become mainstream up here in Michigan, stores start selling them a month before Fat Tuesday. Down in Florida you don't see them too often. There's Paczki's and there's Paczki's, the ones they sell at the grocery stores usually aren't as authentic as they should be. I had one and a half yesterday, they were good, could have ate more.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23
I have a few every year. My only gripe is when I get a box of grocery store bought ones that are sometimes dry and missing most of the filling.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23
Anyone ever have the rose jelly filled ones? Very fragrant and tasty.
Posted By: Chumleyhunts Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23
I lived around Buffalo for about 10 years. Lots of good ones to be had. Lady (early 60's) I worked ER with would bring in ones her and her older sisters made. I think a half would kill a diabetic....
Posted By: KragLarsen Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23
Traditionally the filling is prune, not the lemon, blueberry, raspberry and certainly not chocolate seen today. Big deal on Fat Tuesday as a splurge before Lent starting with Ash Wednesday.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I have a few every year. My only gripe is when I get a box of grocery store bought ones that are sometimes dry and missing most of the filling.
Does Pat's make them? We were watching the noon news yesterday. They did a segment from Krzysiak’s. They had already sold 800 dozen of them, their goal was to sell 1000 dozen...
The batter calls for three egg yolks and one whole egg to make two dozen, tis the reason the authentic ones are so rich.
Posted By: KragLarsen Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23
Bismarcks are an American invention - Otto was a Prussian politician in the later half of the 1800's but highly esteemed in the US prior to WWI. Prussia really created unified Germany in 1871 after they crushed the French, but most American Prussians came over before our Civil War after their middle class revolution failed.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23
The ones in the groceries around here are just cheap grocery donuts with lemon curd or jam filled centers, covered in powdered sugar.

I'm sure the real ones are good, but the ones you can find here aren't much account.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

I would never buy one from a Grocery Store. Who knows how many years old they would be.

I get mine from the Donut shop cooked fresh that morning.

The best ones I ever had were down in the City of Newport on the Coast in Southern Commyfornia.
3 real good looking girls ran the place and would warn you about letting them cool off before you bit into them.
Those things were as hot as hot Lava and would scald you up good. Their Apple Fritters were the best i had ever eaten as well.

I have not been down there for over 15 years.
Probably has changed if I could even remember were the place was.

Grocery Store Donuts are crap compared to fresh cooked Donuts.
Posted By: uncle joe Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23

My Polish half is jealous
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23
I thought this was going to be about the former governor of NY.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Paczki? - 02/23/23
Good?
I'll consider that for "The Stupidist Question of the Week" prize.
laugh laugh laugh
© 24hourcampfire