Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Bristoe
My wife, being half Polish and raised in a culturally Polish neighborhood in Ottawa, is always bringing home food from her youth. (there's a Polish food store in Lexington that she frequents)

One of the strangest things she brings home is chocolate covered prunes. I didn't know what to think of them. But they're very good. Each one is individually wrapped and you buy them by the pound. They have a very thick dark chocolate coating and the prunes are a bit on the dry side,...very chewy.

I didn't think I'd like them. But every time she brings home a sack of them I eat my share.

My grandmother's family came from Prussia area and they they would make German/Polish type foods on occasion. Scwatzauer zoup (sic) or duck's blood soup was a late winter/early spring dish aound this time of year. Loaded with prunes potato dumplings, and vinegar.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
My German mom called them
Bismark's

I never heard the Polish name before.
Had to Google it

Love em
One of my favorites is the Chocolate covered custard filled right out of the fryer so hot ya gotta let it cool down before you eat um

Sugar coated Raspberry filled maybe my second favorite

I haven't had them for years.

MMMMMMMMGOOOOOOD
Stuff

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
They've become mainstream up here in Michigan, stores start selling them a month before Fat Tuesday. Down in Florida you don't see them too often. There's Paczki's and there's Paczki's, the ones they sell at the grocery stores usually aren't as authentic as they should be. I had one and a half yesterday, they were good, could have ate more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a few every year. My only gripe is when I get a box of grocery store bought ones that are sometimes dry and missing most of the filling.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Anyone ever have the rose jelly filled ones? Very fragrant and tasty.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I lived around Buffalo for about 10 years. Lots of good ones to be had. Lady (early 60's) I worked ER with would bring in ones her and her older sisters made. I think a half would kill a diabetic....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Traditionally the filling is prune, not the lemon, blueberry, raspberry and certainly not chocolate seen today. Big deal on Fat Tuesday as a splurge before Lent starting with Ash Wednesday.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I have a few every year. My only gripe is when I get a box of grocery store bought ones that are sometimes dry and missing most of the filling.
Does Pat's make them? We were watching the noon news yesterday. They did a segment from Krzysiak’s. They had already sold 800 dozen of them, their goal was to sell 1000 dozen...
The batter calls for three egg yolks and one whole egg to make two dozen, tis the reason the authentic ones are so rich.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Bismarcks are an American invention - Otto was a Prussian politician in the later half of the 1800's but highly esteemed in the US prior to WWI. Prussia really created unified Germany in 1871 after they crushed the French, but most American Prussians came over before our Civil War after their middle class revolution failed.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The ones in the groceries around here are just cheap grocery donuts with lemon curd or jam filled centers, covered in powdered sugar.

I'm sure the real ones are good, but the ones you can find here aren't much account.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

I would never buy one from a Grocery Store. Who knows how many years old they would be.

I get mine from the Donut shop cooked fresh that morning.

The best ones I ever had were down in the City of Newport on the Coast in Southern Commyfornia.
3 real good looking girls ran the place and would warn you about letting them cool off before you bit into them.
Those things were as hot as hot Lava and would scald you up good. Their Apple Fritters were the best i had ever eaten as well.

I have not been down there for over 15 years.
Probably has changed if I could even remember were the place was.

Grocery Store Donuts are crap compared to fresh cooked Donuts.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I had Gołąbki for dinner and an apple paczki for dessert tonight.

My Polish half is jealous

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I thought this was going to be about the former governor of NY.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by rong
Good?
I'll consider that for "The Stupidist Question of the Week" prize.
laugh laugh laugh

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

455 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,746 guests, and 1,404 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,753
Posts18,476,304
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.