Home
Posted By: Sponxx Oscillating Tool - 03/10/23
2 or 3 years ago I got a corded Oscillating Tool at Costco. FastCraft brand, with a bunch of blades and accessories for about $40
I used 2 ir 3 times and put it away. I took it out recently and tried using it again and noticed that with pressure, the head stops oscillating and hence stops cutting.
I have no experience with such tools, and was wondering if it is a common happening that can be fixed with certain maintenance/taking apart.
The variable speed works, and seems to clamp the blades adequately, just the head will stop oscillating with pressure against the cutting surface.

Recs appreciated
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/10/23
It’s not great at any one thing, but I have one. You used to be able to buy one for $19.99 at Harbor Freight and a large multi pack of blades for maybe another $20 .
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/10/23
Sounds like a medical condition.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Sounds like a medical condition.
Could turn into an emergent one rapidly, if trying to repair it when plugged.
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
It’s not great at any one thing, but I have one. You used to be able to buy one for $19.99 at Harbor Freight and a large multi pack of blades for maybe another $20 .
More than getting another I was wondering if this might be a common occurrence with such tools, and how to troubleshoot.
Or if it is indeed beyond repair
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/10/23
We live in a throw away society for a lot of things. Sub $40 power tools especially
Posted By: ackleydave Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/10/23
I bought a Bosch corded one when they came out and sure was handy. It got pinched on a cut and stripped the gears. Luckily Dewalt came out with their 20 volt one and I have beat on that thing for years and it keeps going. Easily one of the most versatile tools in my truck.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/10/23
I received a Dremel brand as a gift. I've used it for lots of things and it's been pretty handy. The blades tend to be kind of expensive, though, and they don't last all that long.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/10/23
Still have a couple of the original Fein tools. For corded they have no pier, but we have a bunch of milwaukee 18V's now.
Don't know how we trimmed a house without them now.

As to the OP, $40 tools get pitched when they quit working.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/10/23
The Yak fat that the China men use is probably dried out.
Posted By: mart Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/10/23
I bought a Dewalt cordless last fall. Don’t know how I got along so long without it. It’s invaluable on remodel work. I’ve not had a minute’s worth of trouble from mine. Even used a tile blade to clean up a granite counter edge that was catching the top of mom’s dishwasher door.

I’ve cut in a bunch of outlets in the thick wood paneling in our upstairs bedrooms. Trimmed door trim to allow for new flooring. Great for finishing notched cuts in plywood where you don’t want to over cut with a circular saw.

Great tool. But buy a good one. Cheap tools are just that. Cheap.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/10/23
Bought one on sale at Harbor Freight for $9.95, worked it hard for 4 years then the switch started going bad.

Replaced it with a Milwaukee Cordless, countless uses and applications.

Here is a handy blade that's seldom seen on the box store shelves.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

LINK
Posted By: JeffA Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by Sponxx
The variable speed works, and seems to clamp the blades adequately, just the head will stop oscillating with pressure against the cutting surface.

Recs appreciated

Only time I've had that happen is when the blade wasn't properly seated.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/10/23
A builder I used to do work for called them a jiggle-saw. I've found them to be handy, but specialized.

Tough to hazard a guess about what's wrong with yours.
Posted By: pal Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/10/23
Originally Posted by Sponxx
...I got a corded Oscillating Tool at Costco. FastCraft brand, with a bunch of blades and accessories for about $40
I used 2 ir 3 times...noticed that with pressure, the head stops oscillating and hence stops cutting...

You got what you paid for...a cheap tool.

I have been using the same Fein oscillating tool for many years, working on yachts. These are indispensable and quality tools. Haven't tried any other brands. But would recommend replacing the cheap one that failed prematurely with a quality corded tool.
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/11/23
You bought junk. It's going to perform like junk.

I've abused the hell out of my Dewalt 20v for 5 years and it's still just as good as new.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/11/23
I bought a Harbor Freight cheapie just because it was on sale. It has gotten me out of several jams remodeling my basement. When it goes toes up, I'll get me a good cordless.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/11/23
Originally Posted by reivertom
I bought a Harbor Freight cheapie just because it was on sale. It has gotten me out of several jams remodeling my basement. When it goes toes up, I'll get me a good cordless.

Same here. Bought one about 5 years ago to get me through a bathroom remodel. Haven't used it since but it paid for itself.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/11/23
I bought a Craftsman a decade ago and it has performed just fine ever since. It's a specialty tool for sure but when you need it, nothing else will suffice. You flat need it.

Sounds like the op got what he paid for. Buy once cry once
Posted By: Duckhunter Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/11/23
Milwaukee Fuel..................
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/11/23
Have any of you found a metal-cutting blade for one that is worth a snot? I bought what was supposed to be a metal blade and it didn't even get a third of the way through a 1/4" bolt before it was trashed.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/11/23
I use a Fein Tool at work.....that is a quality tool!
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/11/23
Originally Posted by Duckhunter
Milwaukee Fuel..................

Just two days ago I added a M18 Hackzall to the rotation and it is terrific for cutting nails between sheets of tin and the rails they are nailed to...pretty damned flash on pipes when fixing plumbing as well.

Coin well spent.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Oscillating Tool - 03/11/23
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Have any of you found a metal-cutting blade for one that is worth a snot? I bought what was supposed to be a metal blade and it didn't even get a third of the way through a 1/4" bolt before it was trashed.

I purchased a couple of packets (4x blades) of Milwaukee with tungsten teeth, so far they have gone trough nails and teks with alacrity.

Old rusty teks.
© 24hourcampfire