Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
2 or 3 years ago I got a corded Oscillating Tool at Costco. FastCraft brand, with a bunch of blades and accessories for about $40
I used 2 ir 3 times and put it away. I took it out recently and tried using it again and noticed that with pressure, the head stops oscillating and hence stops cutting.
I have no experience with such tools, and was wondering if it is a common happening that can be fixed with certain maintenance/taking apart.
The variable speed works, and seems to clamp the blades adequately, just the head will stop oscillating with pressure against the cutting surface.

Recs appreciated

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s not great at any one thing, but I have one. You used to be able to buy one for $19.99 at Harbor Freight and a large multi pack of blades for maybe another $20 .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like a medical condition.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Sounds like a medical condition.
Could turn into an emergent one rapidly, if trying to repair it when plugged.

S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
It’s not great at any one thing, but I have one. You used to be able to buy one for $19.99 at Harbor Freight and a large multi pack of blades for maybe another $20 .
More than getting another I was wondering if this might be a common occurrence with such tools, and how to troubleshoot.
Or if it is indeed beyond repair

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We live in a throw away society for a lot of things. Sub $40 power tools especially

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I bought a Bosch corded one when they came out and sure was handy. It got pinched on a cut and stripped the gears. Luckily Dewalt came out with their 20 volt one and I have beat on that thing for years and it keeps going. Easily one of the most versatile tools in my truck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I received a Dremel brand as a gift. I've used it for lots of things and it's been pretty handy. The blades tend to be kind of expensive, though, and they don't last all that long.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Still have a couple of the original Fein tools. For corded they have no pier, but we have a bunch of milwaukee 18V's now.
Don't know how we trimmed a house without them now.

As to the OP, $40 tools get pitched when they quit working.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Yak fat that the China men use is probably dried out.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought a Dewalt cordless last fall. Don’t know how I got along so long without it. It’s invaluable on remodel work. I’ve not had a minute’s worth of trouble from mine. Even used a tile blade to clean up a granite counter edge that was catching the top of mom’s dishwasher door.

I’ve cut in a bunch of outlets in the thick wood paneling in our upstairs bedrooms. Trimmed door trim to allow for new flooring. Great for finishing notched cuts in plywood where you don’t want to over cut with a circular saw.

Great tool. But buy a good one. Cheap tools are just that. Cheap.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought one on sale at Harbor Freight for $9.95, worked it hard for 4 years then the switch started going bad.

Replaced it with a Milwaukee Cordless, countless uses and applications.

Here is a handy blade that's seldom seen on the box store shelves.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

LINK

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sponxx
The variable speed works, and seems to clamp the blades adequately, just the head will stop oscillating with pressure against the cutting surface.

Recs appreciated

Only time I've had that happen is when the blade wasn't properly seated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A builder I used to do work for called them a jiggle-saw. I've found them to be handy, but specialized.

Tough to hazard a guess about what's wrong with yours.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sponxx
...I got a corded Oscillating Tool at Costco. FastCraft brand, with a bunch of blades and accessories for about $40
I used 2 ir 3 times...noticed that with pressure, the head stops oscillating and hence stops cutting...

You got what you paid for...a cheap tool.

I have been using the same Fein oscillating tool for many years, working on yachts. These are indispensable and quality tools. Haven't tried any other brands. But would recommend replacing the cheap one that failed prematurely with a quality corded tool.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You bought junk. It's going to perform like junk.

I've abused the hell out of my Dewalt 20v for 5 years and it's still just as good as new.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I bought a Harbor Freight cheapie just because it was on sale. It has gotten me out of several jams remodeling my basement. When it goes toes up, I'll get me a good cordless.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by reivertom
I bought a Harbor Freight cheapie just because it was on sale. It has gotten me out of several jams remodeling my basement. When it goes toes up, I'll get me a good cordless.

Same here. Bought one about 5 years ago to get me through a bathroom remodel. Haven't used it since but it paid for itself.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a Craftsman a decade ago and it has performed just fine ever since. It's a specialty tool for sure but when you need it, nothing else will suffice. You flat need it.

Sounds like the op got what he paid for. Buy once cry once

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Milwaukee Fuel..................

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (2ndwind, 264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 25 invisible), 1,832 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,362
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.