Home
I was at my dad's house, celebrating my 1st wedding anniversary and watching man walk on the moon.

4 years from being born
Posted By: hanco Re: Where Were You July 20 1969? - 07/20/23
At work, was 16 then, my mother had died a month before.
I watched it, but have always thought it was fake news.
I think I was on the Southern Caribbean island of Curaçao on vacation with my family.
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
4 years from being born

Same
We were at lake Quasapog an amusement park here in Connecticut. My dad was a sargent in the second company governor’s horse guard and they had a summer outing at the park.
Had just graduated high school that June and was watching it in the gas station/auto repair garage that I worked in while in high school. Was most likely there doing something to my 1967 Mustang 390cu 2+2, or possibly one of my friends muscle cars.
I was 3 months old so probably in a crib.
Watched it on neighbor's tv since we didn't have a tv, looked snowy nd fake
I was running a brick laying crew on the Crow Indian Agency.
I was at my uncle’s farmhouse between Grandfield and Frederick, Oklahoma. We’d picked up a buncha pizza at Bianco’s Italian Restaurant in Lawton (my cousin lived in Lawton) and headed out to my uncle’s farm in my cousin’s parent’s Oldsmobile 98 Convertible to watch men walk on the moon on television.
I was too busy getting ready to come home from Viet Nam to pay any attention to any news events.
On July 16, two friends and I drove from Atlanta down to Cape Canaveral. From 13 miles away we saw the launch of Apollo 11.
Posted By: memtb Re: Where Were You July 20 1969? - 07/20/23
About to start my senior year of HS, dating the girl that would soon become my wife…..for the next 19 years! memtb
Still a gleam in my Dad's eye I guess lol
14yo, living in Lecanto, FL,. watched it on the TV, with family all around...
Working at Swift Meat Packing. Afterwards I couldn't eat bologna or wieners for years. If you saw what went into them you couldn't either.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
On July 16, two friends and I drove from Atlanta down to Cape Canaveral. From 13 miles away we saw the launch of Apollo 11.

cool cool
I was lying on the floor in front of the TV. My Dad was on the couch behind me. We watched it happen. We were (and I still am) awestruck at the bravery and achievement.

RS
Probably taking a dump in my diapers
Don't remember, I just remember I got sick of hearing about it. I was not quite 8 years old.
I was 10, probably walking beans that day.
Boot camp, Great Lakes, Ill
I was sitting in a waiting room at a large Ford agency in Burbank, Calif., waiting for the company to finish some work on my Ford 500. I watched it on the agency's teevee in the waiting room.

L.W.
in my first year of college at florida
Playing 2nd base for the Cubs.

In Little League
I was at Fort Greely Alaska probably policing buffalo chips in the company area.
Stand by for...

It was FAKE!

Lol.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Stand by for...

It was FAKE!

Lol.

Already been stated in this thread.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Where Were You July 20 1969? - 07/20/23
I don`t remember the whole year of 1969 .
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
I was sitting in a waiting room at a large Ford agency in Burbank, Calif., waiting for the company to finish some work on my Ford 500. I watched it on the agency's teevee in the waiting room.

L.W.

Galpin?
I was at my grandfather's house watching the television when Neil Armstrong came down the ladder to step onto the surface. CBS was running a science fiction retrospective to fill the time between the Eagle's landing and Neil stepping onto the surface. I had vowed to stay up the whole time watching the television from landing to lift off, but a tube burned out in the set around 2:00 in the morning. My father wouldn't let me go to my grandfather's house till after sun up. I was 14 at the time.

As an aside, I met Neil many years later at a dinner meeting hosted by a local chapter of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. Scott Crossfield was speaking about his experiences flying the X-15. My wife and I got there just before the meeting was scheduled to start, and we were at the last table in the back corner. A woman came over to ask if the last two seats were taken. It was Jan Armstrong. Neil came in a minute later to join her. He was very quiet during dinner, and let Jan do most of the talking till the ladies left the table between dinner and the start of Crossfield's talk. Once it was just us engineers he came to life, and we had an interesting discussion of recent developments in the space program. At one point in his presentation Crossfield made a reference to best selling fantasy novelist Chuck Yeager. I thought Neil would fall off his chair laughing and clapping. Crossfield and Armstrong being Navy pilots and Yeager being Air Force led to a certain amount of rivalry in the test pilot community at Edwards, and Yeager's autobiography mentioned several less than flattering incidents in Armstrong's time at Edwards.
Summer job of pipeline construction while in college.

Amazing how they got through that asteroid belt with the computers they had then, one tenth or less powerful as our cell phone computers now.

Not seeing how the moon rover stayed tied to the lunar module on the trip. It was way to big to get it through the hatch.

Strangely, when NASA was asked recently why there have been no more moon landings, an official said they had "lost the recipe". Hummm.
Sitting with my great aunt and uncle and family at their farm in Rock Creek B. C. Watching on the tv
I was 10 years old, and my mom planted us kids in front of the T.V. to witness history. In retrospect, I’m glad she did!
In the day room of Bachelor Officers' Quarters, Laredo AFB. At the start of flight training.

The video footage of the landing was actually broadcast from the moon in pretty high definition. But in a format that commercial TV news guys couldn't use. When it was fed through some kind of "translation" gear, it came out looking awful. But there was no time to correct it.

No it was not faked.
At a roadside diner getting something to eat on the way back after a driving school at Daytona Intl Speedway. I was part of the pit crew for the son of the Chevy dealership where I was working.

Trans Am was big at the time and some of the mechanics put together a Camaro for racing.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Amazing how they got through that asteroid belt with the computers they had then, one tenth or less powerful as our cell phone computers now.

Not seeing how the moon rover stayed tied to the lunar module on the trip. It was way to big to get it through the hatch.

Strangely, when NASA was asked recently why there have been no more moon landings, an official said they had "lost the recipe". Hummm.

Asteroid belt between the Earth and moon????
I was 12 and at church camp. I remember the counselors telling us about it.
I was at a friend's house, the guy lived across the street from my grandparents in Fabens (TX) and I was spending the week down there (I was 14 at the time). This guy's dad had a full wall of the living room full of rifles of all kinds and was into handloading and big game hunting, but the ol' man didn't seem to have the time of day for us youngsters. That's too bad, too because I don't doubt I could have learned a bunch from him. They had one of the biggest and best television sets you could get at that time also. I wonder what happened to that dude.

So this isn’t something relatively recent for you.
At the military Recreation site in Seward. I think we decided to stay and watch it rather than going fishing.
3 months and 20 days from popping out of my Mother.
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I was at a friend's house, the guy lived across the street from my grandparents in Fabens (TX) and I was spending the week down there (I was 14 at the time). This guy's dad had a full wall of the living room full of rifles of all kinds and was into handloading and big game hunting, but the ol' man didn't seem to have the time of day for us youngsters. That's too bad, too because I don't doubt I could have learned a bunch from him. They had one of the biggest and best television sets you could get at that time also. I wonder what happened to that dude.
I have eaten some awfully good steaks and quail in Fabens, Texas! Hurrumph!
Oh, wait a minute, I wasn't in Curaçao (that must have been in August), because I remember watching him step out of the lander, live, in our living room. My older brother made me stay up for it, because he said I'd never forgive myself if I slept through it.
Posted By: Szumi Re: Where Were You July 20 1969? - 07/20/23
Pedaling my arse off, I had a flat on my bicycle and I wanted to be home in time to watch.
On leave...Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. My family went to my uncle's motel to watch it with him and my grandfather. I remember when Neil Armstrong was coming down the ladder, my grandfather got up and left the room...he said "It just can't be real."

This from a man that grew up before electricity. Up until a year before this he had a 9N Ford tractor, but still farmed mostly with horses.
Posted By: DMc Re: Where Were You July 20 1969? - 07/20/23
Originally Posted by Huntz
I don`t remember the whole year of 1969 .
LOL

Define "cell phone computer" and identify which "asteroid belt" you're referring to please.....I just want to learn more about the moon landing conspiracy.

Thanks buddy.
Originally Posted by CraigD
On leave...Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. My family went to my uncle's motel to watch it with him and my grandfather. I remember when Neil Armstrong was coming down the ladder, my grandfather got up and left the room...he said "It just can't be real."

This from a man that grew up before electricity. Up until a year before this he had a 9N Ford tractor, but still farmed mostly with horses.
My grandmother was the same way. She had always maintained that God wouldn't allow it, and would strike the vessel down before he'd allow it to land. Her first inclination was to deny that it happened even after it did, but once Walter Cronkite announced that an American astronaut had stepped foot on the moon, she said she had to believe it was true.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
At the military Recreation site in Seward. I think we decided to stay and watch it rather than going fishing.
Are saying they broadcast it live to Seward. At Fort Greely we could only listen to it on the radio as there was no live broadcast to Alaska at the time. Everything came in on a 2 week delay. I remember that the US went to great pains to make sure the rest of the world got to see it live but I guess they forgot about us at Fort Greely.
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I was at my dad's house, celebrating my 1st wedding anniversary and watching man walk on the moon.

Also my first anniversary but just where i was .i cant remember
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

Define "cell phone computer" and identify which "asteroid belt" you're referring to please.....I just want to learn more about the moon landing conspiracy.

Thanks buddy.
Amazing what an ignoramus jag has turned out to be on anything even remotely connected to science. He's likely meaning to refer to the Van Allen radiation belt around the earth. They merely navigated the vessel through its weakest point.
Summer camp, Camp McCoy, Wisconsin.
Originally Posted by gkt5450
I have eaten some awfully good steaks and quail in Fabens, Texas! Hurrumph!

Aahhh, yes. Dieter's steak house (Cattleman's Steakhouse) out at Indian Cliffs. I think the last time I ate there may have been at least thirty years ago. Maybe I should make it a point to drop in there next time I pass through.

Fabens was where I was wrapped in swaddling clothes and I spent a lot of time down there even after the family moved to El Paso. I (and other family members) had a lot of interesting experiences down there, from UFO viewing to jackrabbit hunting to exploring and finding machine guns the US Army had somehow managed to lose track of. Many, many memorable things took place in July, in fact.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Phu Cat Airbase 4th Special Operations detachment..
I was at home, Dad, Mom, my bachelor uncle and I watched it all. Uncle dozed off, I woke him up saying how important and historic the night was; he said something like "You think this is real? They're just out in Arizona or someplace like that pretending to be on the moon." He was a bit...unusual.
Just graduated from high school. Was driving around a west
Kansas lake, drinking beer with a friend, and looking for girls. We were listening to news reports of it on the radio.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Thanks buddy.
Amazing what an ignoramus jag has turned out to be on anything even remotely connected to science.
Just ask doc about adrenochrome.

lol
Filling a diaper, probably.
I was downtown Taichung Taiwan telling the girls in the bar (Bamboo Club) about the guys walking on the moon!

Their comments : GI bullshit. Nebber Happen, !! GI "kitti paw" , crazy in Chinese! I think! laugh

There was no way they thought it was true---even after seeing it on TV
Sitting in our family’s little English row house living room. It was timed for prime time Eastern Time which was late at night GMT.

I dunno if people had color TVs in America yet but the footage didn’t look to much different from usual on our little BW telly 🙂

I vividly recall the weird slow-motion movements of the astronauts and “One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”
Spraying cotton at 120 mph! Age 29
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Filling a diaper, probably.
Probably doing this ⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️
Since I was 11 months old.
I was in Junior College and got in from a date with my girlfriend. Later, while an elementary school principal my guidance counselor summed up our task as educators in
Mississippi: “We got folks who think we never went to the moon; it was filmed in a back lot in Hollywood. Yet they think professional wrestling is real and we supposed to educate them “. This has stuck with me through the years as being so true.
I was a junior set designer working on finish painting a black background for a Stanley Kubrick movie. We weren’t told what movie it was. It was a secret.

Just kidding. I was a little over a year old. Don’t remember what I was doing. When I went to the Smithsonian several years ago and saw the lunar module is when I started thinking it was a load of BS. Looks like it was made of bailing wire and tin foil. After watching the news on Covid I really stopped believing anything the gubermint was telling us. If you believe we really walked on the moon, more power to you. Strange we have never went back. Scientist have been to the far reaches of the planet many times and still go back to do more research. Why not the moon? Let the roasting begin.
Where are the stars?
Was also 16, more than likely on the back of a hay truck or on a tractor cutting more hay.
3 months from being born.
I don't remember a whole lot about 1969 as I was only 7 years old but I do remember watching the moon landing at my grandparents house. I don't know if we went there specifically to watch it or if we just happened to be there when it was on. We didn't have a TV at home until I was 13 so most everything we saw on TV back then was at my grandparents.
Originally Posted by 348winchester
I was a junior set designer working on finish painting a black background for a Stanley Kubrick movie. We weren’t told what movie it was. It was a secret.

Just kidding. I was a little over a year old. Don’t remember what I was doing. When I went to the Smithsonian several years ago and saw the lunar module is when I started thinking it was a load of BS. Looks like it was made of bailing wire and tin foil. After watching the news on Covid I really stopped believing anything the gubermint was telling us. If you believe we really walked on the moon, more power to you. Strange we have never went back. Scientist have been to the far reaches of the planet many times and still go back to do more research. Why not the moon? Let the roasting begin.

And professional wrestling is legit. crazy

BTW, we did go back. You're sure a history scholar.

Is that enough roasting? wink

https://www.history.com/news/us-moon-landings-apollo
It can't be done because of the Van Halen radiation belt.

[Linked Image from marvel-b1-cdn.bc0a.com]
It can't be done because of the Van Halen radiation belt.

[Linked Image from marvel-b1-cdn.bc0a.com]

ALIENS!!!
shocked eek
I was living in a tent at Chu Lai, RSVN.
"we landed on the moon in the 60's"

lolololol
They didn't traverse any asteroid belts. They did go beyond the Van Allen belt, however.

Adrenochrome is real.
Posted By: Papag Re: Where Were You July 20 1969? - 07/20/23
Camping in Colorado on the cheap. VW, pup tent. Beach mattresses, sterno stove, like I said, cheap. Two young teachers.
I was in a film studio, working on a project for a government agency.

Big deal - hush-hush type of project.

Thanks buddy.
Amazing what an ignoramus jag has turned out to be on anything even remotely connected to science. He's likely meaning to refer to the Van Allen radiation belt around the earth. They merely navigated the vessel through its weakest point.

I'd say you have no better idea what the Van Allen belt is that Jag does.
Bangkok, Thailand : USN VAP-61 an aerial photo and reconn outfit.
Originally Posted by Papag
Camping in Colorado on the cheap. VW, pup tent. Beach mattresses, sterno stove, like I said, cheap. Two young teachers.

We called them folks "hippies."

smile
I was 15 and at home watching it on our black and white TV.

kwg
He's likely meaning to refer to the Van Allen radiation belt around the earth. They merely navigated the vessel through its weakest point.

On what do you base this? Of possible trajectories for passing through it were those that sent their vessel through areas exposing them to the least amount of radiation, and that's the trajectory they followed. What part of that is in error, precisely?

PS Jag was under the impression that the Van Allen belt was an asteroid belt.
Working at the Nevada Test Site a mile underground.
I was 11, watched it with my family, not sure I belive that it really happened! Don't trust my Government!
Just a little factoid The closest the spectators were alowed to watch was 6 miles away from the launch pad "a fenced area" the sound level was measured at 135 decibles. At the launch pad itself the sound was measured at 205 decibles at that level all internal organs turn to jelly.
Zambia
One thing is for sure is that the saturn V never even made it to lower earth orbit and probably ended up in the trench."ocean"
In the video you see the saturn V break through the high cirrus clouds at the 105 second mark after lift off, high cirrus clouds are at
around 25,000 feet the saturn V should have been at an altitude of over 80,000 feet at that point, so more that three times
lower than they should have been. This is not consperacy talk this a mathematical fact and has been confirmed over and over
by other "Rocket Scientists"

Here is the break down of the sequence of events, the meat and potatoes is from they 8:00 min mark to 12:00 min. There is some good info a couple of min before and after those times, but with they short attention span of most internet warriors the 4:00 min should cover it.

He's likely meaning to refer to the Van Allen radiation belt around the earth. They merely navigated the vessel through its weakest point.

On what do you base this? Of possible trajectories for passing through it were those that sent their vessel through areas exposing them to the least amount of radiation, and that's the trajectory they followed. What part of that is in error, precisely?

PS Jag was under the impression that the Van Allen belt was an asteroid belt.

The Van Allen Belt was once though hazardous, but it turned out to be inconsequential.
Couple of days before I turned 15 watching the landing in my parents living room. Seem to remember it was later in the evening in NY.

-Ken
I was 6 and I remember watching it with my family.
It amazes me that people still think that rockets go straight up to break free from the earth's gravity. They curve over to leave the atmosphere. Flerfers have to lie to flerf.
Originally Posted by saddlering
I was 11, watched it with my family, not sure I belive that it really happened! Don't trust my Government!
Who put the laser reflector on the moon, then? You can verify its existence by pointing a powerful laser at the right coordinate, and receiving a return signal.
My brother and I were staying all night with my Grandparents. Watched the moon landing on their TV. In July 2019 I took my Grandson to the Neil Armstrong musem in Wapakoneta Ohio for the 50th anniversary celebration.

Ron
Originally Posted by Rifles And More
I was in a film studio, working on a project for a government agency.

Big deal - hush-hush type of project.

I KNEW it!
The Van Allen Belt was once though hazardous, but it turned out to be inconsequential.
Certainly, at the time of the Apollo missions, it was thought dangerous enough that navigation of the crafts' trajectory which exposed astronauts to the least amount of radiation from them was thought important. Can you show me proof that a trajectory through the most dense parts of it is harmless to humans?
I can't say for sure they landed but they sure as hell launched because I saw it in person.

ps They did land as well, give me a break.
Golden Valley MN, watching it on TV.
Certainly, at the time of the Apollo missions, it was thought dangerous enough that navigation of the crafts' trajectory which exposed astronauts to the least amount of radiation from them was thought important. Can you show me proof that a trajectory through the most dense parts of it is harmless to humans?

I would ask that you show the opposite. If they left Earth orbit in a polar plane it's news to me. You could be right, but I sure don't recall any such thing and I was pretty tuned to all that stuff, even at 14 years old. At least I thought I was.

In fact, I would like to know if it's taken into account in this day and time.
Posted By: acy Re: Where Were You July 20 1969? - 07/20/23
I was 8.5 years old. I remember watching it on TV, but mostly because my parents made a big deal out of how historic it was.

I would ask that you show the opposite. If they left Earth orbit in a polar plane it's news to me. You could be right, but I sure don't recall any such thing and I was pretty tuned to all that stuff, even at 14 years old. At least I thought I was.

Well, since you don't know much about it, why do you assume you know more than me?
Who put the laser reflector on the moon, then? You can verify its existence by pointing a powerful laser at the right coordinate, and receiving a return signal.

You’ve done this?
I was 18 working at the airport washing inflight dishes on graveyard shift for $2.31/hour.
I was living in a rental with 2 other guys. My share was $50/month.

At work on the loading dock, they talked about man on the moon.

Two months later I would be in college with an instructor who said he was a Marxist. He looked just like Castro [beard and military green clothes].
He told us that none of us had ever heard of feminism or women's liberation, but we were about to hear a great deal about it. KIds would go to day care.
Starting 1st grade. Don't call me a fu cking boomer.

Well, since you don't know much about it, why do you assume you know more than me?

I would assume so because I had a keen interest in space travel in those days and relied heavily on things my uncle (a plasma physicist who is and always was very interested in space exploration) would tell me. Why would YOU assume you know more than I do about it?

All's fair.

So in a bit of reading I have seen that they did on fact take it onto account at one time, but it seems they decided it just wasn't important enough to worry about at some point. I know it was a major concern at one point early on before they knew much.

I can tell you that there is Gamma radiation in the upper atmosphere that affects modern avionics systems. Most should be aware that Gamma radiation is a pretty serious thing, but we are exposed to enough of it at 30,000 feet to cause high-tech electronics to flip out.
I can tell you that there is Gamma radiation in the upper atmosphere that affects modern avionics systems. Most should be aware that Gamma radiation is a pretty serious thing, but we are exposed to enough of it at 30,000 feet to cause high-tech electronics to flip out.

Oi, have I spent enough years designing avionics... including nuke hardened designs.
Originally Posted by brush_buster
Working at Swift Meat Packing. Afterwards I couldn't eat bologna or wieners for years. If you saw what went into them you couldn't either.

Best friend spent 3 months working for Kahn's in Cincinnati right out of high school making "lunch meat". It was several years before he could eat lunch meat again...

ETA: "Where Were You July 20 1969?" ... Sitting at the dinner table in my parents house with the 13" B&W TV turned around so we could watch while we ate dinner...
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Oi, have I spent enough years designing avionics... including nuke hardened designs.

and the solution to address Single Event Upset is what, exactly??
Well, buck, you're not a fu cking boomer. But you are a fu cking azzwipe. As is anybody who defames boomers. Your parents are likely boomers.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

You’ve done this?
I have to repeat every piece of research that's ever been done before I accept that it's a commonly repeated experiment??

You’ve done this?
I have to repeat every piece of research that's ever been done before I accept that it's a commonly repeated experiment??

Apparently so.

LOL.

You’ve done this?

Was a simple question. You could have said "no, but there is a plethora of material out there proving it has been done"

You said "you can". Which led me to believe it was an easily replicated experiment.

I am unfamiliar with this, can you point me to a reputable source?
Originally Posted by mjs3240
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Are saying they broadcast it live to Seward. At Fort Greely we could only listen to it on the radio as there was no live broadcast to Alaska at the time. Everything came in on a 2 week delay. I remember that the US went to great pains to make sure the rest of the world got to see it live but I guess they forgot about us at Fort Greely.
You make a great point! It was almost surely tape delayed like all the TV was at the time up here. Thank you. I suspect we were seeing it for the first time, but two weeks after the fact.
Was a simple question. You could have said "no, but there is a plethora of material out there proving it has been done"

You said "you can". Which led me to believe it was an easily replicated experiment.

My apologies, Billy. I thought you were being an a-hole. My mistake.

My apologies, Billy. I thought you were being an a-hole. My mistake.

I don't believe the moon landing as broadcasted was or is legit.

But that's not to say we haven't been there since.

It's like Antartica, treaties are supposed to make sure it (they) stay neutral and unmilitarized. Those treaties aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

They didn't traverse any asteroid belts. They did go beyond the Van Allen belt, however.

Adrenochrome is real.

It is. Ritualistic sacrificing of young children so that Hollywood and political elites can drink the blood and achieve some type of invigorating high; is not.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Adrenochrome is real.

It is. Ritualistic sacrificing of young children so that Hollywood and political elites can drink the blood and achieve some type of invigorating high; is not.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. That trafficking in young flesh is a real thing is not questionable, though.

Adrenochrome is real.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. That trafficking in young flesh is a real thing is not questionable, though.

Try it. Adrenochrome is readily available.

I have never stated that trafficking of young children does not occur. It does. Just not for this adrenochrome nonsense.
I had just turned thirteen years old. I was out in the alfalfa field trying to plug gopher holes carrying irrigation water away from the dry places in the field.

Pocket gophers are and ever have been the absolute bane of gravity flow irrigation, alfalfa is their favorite food source.

Having been watching all the preludes through the entire Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo programs, I grabbed my shovel and ran over the hill to the house in time to watch Armstrong step out on to the Lunar Surface.

And yes, I clearly remember my beloved Grandmother telling us such could never happen as no living man could be allowed into the "Heavens".

In order to prevent latch-up in space, epitaxial substrates, silicon on insulator (SOI) or silicon on sapphire (SOS) are often used to further reduce or eliminate the susceptibility.

This means USE ELECTRONIC DEVICES ON THEIR APROVED LIST...which happen to be expensive long lead items that perform poorly.

In order to prevent latch-up in space, epitaxial substrates, silicon on insulator (SOI) or silicon on sapphire (SOS) are often used to further reduce or eliminate the susceptibility.

This means USE ELECTRONIC DEVICES ON THEIR APROVED LIST...which happen to be expensive long lead items that perform poorly.

There has been NO solution to the SEU problem to date.
Wow, that was a LOOOOOONG time ago!

I watched the moon landing on the lobby TV of the El Paisano motel in Pearsall, Texas. Eighteen years old, working a job that paid well but I absolutely hated.
Took me about 3 years to get enough seniority to get away from THAT fiasco!
I missed it. I would have liked to have watched it but my parents didn’t let me.

I was born January of 1971….😀

As far as it not happening…. I have no idea. I never heard it was hoax until a few years ago and just like evolution ultimately I don’t care….it is what it is…I’m going fishing. 😂

Boomers….I don’t really like grouping people together just to run them all down at once. People are people no matter when they “chose to be born”…I only care about how you act and how you are, I don’t care what group you fall into. I’m probably friends with more “boomers” than my own generation, probably because they represent the values I was brought up with and since I cherish those values I’ve passed them on to our children so having friends that understand and reinforce that is a good thing.

Except sand niqqers…. I’d group them all together to save on ammo. 😀
Originally Posted by Ringman
Where are the stars?
Rich, have you ever taken a photograph, especially a motion picture, and seen visible stars in the photo?

Adrenochrome is real.

Agreed.
Originally Posted by kendibs
Couple of days before I turned 15 watching the landing in my parents living room. Seem to remember it was later in the evening in NY.

-Ken
4:00 - 4:30 PM EDT. Two hours earlier out here.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Where are the stars?
Rich, have you ever taken a photograph, especially a motion picture, and seen visible stars in the photo?

I was 14 and saw part of it on a portable black and white tv at my uncle's camp on Highland Lake in Bridgeton, ME. I was tired and went to bed, so I missed Neil Armstrong's one giant leap for mankind.
1 month after I had turned 15. Working on a ranch in the Big Hole valley of Montana.
Standing at the shop with the gentleman I was working for and he said, "Can you believe
we put men up there."
I will forever remember that moment.

-Ken
That would make it 7:00 - 7:30 New York time. That doesn't make sense, because I distinctly remember having already gone to bed, and my brother convincing me to get out of bed to watch the first man walk on the moon.
Posted By: MAC Re: Where Were You July 20 1969? - 07/21/23
I was on a family trip to OR and my mother and I watched the moon landing on a little black and white TV in a laundry room while she was washing clothes. I was 6 years old,
Originally Posted by granitestate1
One thing is for sure is that the saturn V never even made it to lower earth orbit and probably ended up in the trench."ocean"
In the video you see the saturn V break through the high cirrus clouds at the 105 second mark after lift off, high cirrus clouds are at
around 25,000 feet the saturn V should have been at an altitude of over 80,000 feet at that point, so more that three times
lower than they should have been. This is not consperacy talk this a mathematical fact and has been confirmed over and over
by other "Rocket Scientists"

80,000 feet at 105 seconds is utter BS! Where did you get those calculations? They were approximately 4 nautical miles up, or 24,300 feet. You found bogus information to fit your faulty narrative.

Here is the complete flight log. I realize it's beyond your comprehension to read it and do the math. I seriously doubt you can do basic math well enough to do very simple calculations. The rocket travels far downrange as it goes up. They don't point them straight up and pop them off like bottle rockets.

https://history.nasa.gov/afj/ap11fj/01launch.html

Here is the nautical mile calculator to feet.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+many+feet+in+a+nautical+mile&t=newext&atb=v342-1&ia=answer
Was about 1-1/2 months old, so probably sucking tit.
Luv2safari: I was fighting in the streets with hordes of "urban youth" and "hippies" who were trying to burn down and loot a city!
Some of our shifts lasted 72 hours and no days off for weeks.
Did not see a TV for who knows how long.
Moon landing was all the rage and all the talk at the hospital emergency rooms we "visited" with our wounded (ambulances would NOT respond to the areas we were skirmishing in) though.
That moon landing was quite a feat when you think about it. Proud of the Americans who did that and made that happen - not so proud of the urban youth and hippies of that era!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: batch Re: Where Were You July 20 1969? - 07/21/23
I was glued to my folks BW TV watching in amazed wonder as it transpired. I have no doubts that it was real.
Originally Posted by BFaucett
Where are the stars?

The camera apertures are closed down so tight to cope with the high intensity light on the astronaut, unfiltered by an atmosphere, that they don't let the faint starlight to be seen, that's why no stars. BASIC photography.
Posted By: cvmw Re: Where Were You July 20 1969? - 07/21/23
Fourth grade class. They rolled out a TV and we watched in class.
Posted By: 673 Re: Where Were You July 20 1969? - 07/21/23
Didn't happen LOL
I was at Yellowstone as a Boy Scout and listened to it on a transistor radio.
Cubi Point Naval Air Station. Probably read about it next day in the Pacific Stars and Stripes.
We obviously went because of the reflectors up there, but if what was televised at the time is real, I don't know. For all we know they fugged up the film on the way back and needed to save face but the one thing I know is that their TV press conference after the fact is weird as shìt. They act like they saw something they wanted to forget. Maybe there's a reason we haven't been back since those missions.
I had graduated from the 8th grade, contemplating what High School would be like.

Just a youngster.
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
We obviously went because of the reflectors up there, but if what was televised at the time is real, I don't know. For all we know they fugged up the film on the way back and needed to save face but the one thing I know is that their TV press conference after the fact is weird as shìt. They act like they saw something they wanted to forget. Maybe there's a reason we haven't been back since those missions.

I was 8-years old and on vacation with parents in Alberta, Canada. We went up there to escape the North Texas heat every summer, then spent a week at the EAA Convention in Illinois/Wisconsin. We were in a drive-in getting some food and listening to reports on the radio.
I was 19 and about a month away from getting off a bus at Parris Island S.C.. It was a Sunday night and I watched it in the living room with the whole family. Shortly after that I walked outside and the moon was visible in the night sky. I remember looking at it and it blew my mind that there were guys up there.
Coming out of my mothers hoo hah when it was happening!
1 month shy of one year old in July of 69. Don't remember much about them days
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Where Were You July 20 1969? - 07/21/23
I was 11. My mom and one of her sisters used to spend 2-3 weeks every summer helping my widowed grandmother in TN. Two of my cousins, my younger brother and I watched from her house on a tiny B&W TV.

Some guys talking about watching at school. I remember staying up a lot later than my normal bedtime to see it. Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon at 10:56PM Eastern time. That would have been 8PM in California. They didn't leave the moon until almost 2 AM on the 21st. We stayed up till they left the moon.
13 years old watched it on TV at home.

Watched all the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo TV coverage.

-Ken
That would make it 7:00 - 7:30 New York time. That doesn't make sense, because I distinctly remember having already gone to bed, and my brother convincing me to get out of bed to watch the first man walk on the moon.
EDT is New York time.
It is a matter of record.
July 20, 1969 - At 1:47 p.m. EDT Armstrong and Aldrin, in the lunar module Eagle, separate from the command module. Collins remains onboard the Columbia orbiting the moon. - 4:17 p.m. EDT - The Eagle lands. - 4:18 p.m. EDT - "Houston, Tranquility Base here.

But they did wait a few hours before actually stepping onto the lunar surface.

- 10:56 p.m. EDT - Armstrong says, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," as he becomes the first human to set foot on the moon.
Where are the stars?

Back in my photography days, I used four lenses for different things. I never experienced what you are talking about.

My mind is reminiscing about a couple really good shots.

Back to the topic at hand....
I'm supposed to believe our government spent hundreds of millions of dollars and didn't have a good enough camera and film to prevent my queston.
Watching the Moon landing with my folks at my grandparents' house. I was 12.
They're all gone now.
Working my behind off on a trawler out in the Gulf of Mexico. We didn't have television or even radio news. Was 16 years old.

Heard about it later.

Still believe it was false and faked
Originally Posted by Buck720
Coming out of my mothers hoo hah when it was happening!

Happy Birthday! grin
I was 7, watched on it on a black and white with my Dad, who was a direct beneficiary of the space race. Most of his higher education was funded by National Science Foundation grants
I was 6 and headed into 1st Grade in a month and a half.
Where are the stars?

Back in my photography days, I used four lenses for different things. I never experienced what you are talking about.

My mind is reminiscing about a couple really good shots.

Back to the topic at hand....
I'm supposed to believe our government spent hundreds of millions of dollars and didn't have a good enough camera and film to prevent my queston.
You can either set up a shot to photograph stars, or you can set it up to photograph people walking around in a lighted environment.

The light presented by stars is so faint that it requires extremely long exposure time coupled with wide aperture. Any lighted subjects in the frame would be washed out to pure whiteness. Can't defeat physics.

I am curious what kind of camera they used in 1969 to produce digitized motion pictures to beam back to Earth?
I was at my folks place watching it.
Rich check out this link. It answers some questions. It occurs to me that the images were probably not digital, but transmitted in analog. Just as TV was at that time.

https://www.scienceandmediamuseum.org.uk/objects-and-stories/moon-to-living-room-apollo-11-broadcast
Rich check out this link. It answers some questions. It occurs to me that the images were probably not digital, but transmitted in analog. Just as TV was at that time.

https://www.scienceandmediamuseum.org.uk/objects-and-stories/moon-to-living-room-apollo-11-broadcast

No doubt. High frequency = Low power and Low frequency = High power.
I caught it on the TV when I got home that night from a date with my GF...
earlier in the evening we were both loosing our virginity on a blanket next to my 66 VW Fastback...

I remember the latter, more than the former.... I was 17 in June of 69.
On the couch in the den with the rest of my family watching the landing on TV.

-Ken
EDT is New York time.
It is a matter of record.
July 20, 1969 - At 1:47 p.m. EDT Armstrong and Aldrin, in the lunar module Eagle, separate from the command module. Collins remains onboard the Columbia orbiting the moon. - 4:17 p.m. EDT - The Eagle lands. - 4:18 p.m. EDT - "Houston, Tranquility Base here.

But they did wait a few hours before actually stepping onto the lunar surface.

- 10:56 p.m. EDT - Armstrong says, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," as he becomes the first human to set foot on the moon.
See?? 10:56 PM, New York time. My memory was correct. For a little kid, that was very late.
The pictures showed what the astronauts saw, as well, and for the same reason. The purpose of the official photographs wasn't to adjust the lens and light so as to capture an image of the stars.
Here we go

https://www.aulis.com/apollo11saturn_v2.htm

And

https://www.aulis.com/apollo11saturn_v.htm
was 6 yrs old and we didn't have a TV... older brother was 22 and on his own... he scored a set somewhere and woke me up to watch it... he still asks me if i remember that every so often...
I was 10, I don't remember.
I’m assuming a crib. I was 5 months old.
I thought that I had already responded to this, but I guess not. I was on my way from QuiNhon Vietnamn to Cam Rahn Bay, starting my trip back to the states. miles
I have a slight memory of the event. I was pretty young at 6 years old. Dad made popcorn and mom served it in some kind of baskets with paper napkins in them. I never really understood why she just didn't use bowls. But popcorn was always served in those things. I’m certain we either had milk or that orange juice concentrate she kept in the freezer.

I would have been on the floor as the few pieces of furniture we had in the family room was for adults. My recollection of it was that it was pretty late at night for me as my bedtime 8:30 regardless of whether it still light out or night. She was dang tired of all my shenanigans by that time and she needed a break by then. But, after all it was a historic event and mom didn't want me to miss it.

We lived in rural ohio and the closest TV station was Toledo we could manage to get with the clothes hanger antenna on the back of the tv set.
Every station was kind of grainy until Dad built the outside tower with the moveable antenna mounted on top. Man we was high fidelity after that. But that was after the moon landing. So between our crappy reception and the poor quality of the nasa film it was not a great optical experience.

Dad seemed more excited we had beat the communists to the moon than in the scientific and technological accomplishment.
Thats what I recall.
Also16 years old, and putting up hay.
Saw it later, on the news.
In the Navy, stationed on a Destroyer,, deployed to the Med---(just looked it up)
I was eight years old, watching it in the living room with my dad. We did that a lot with the Apollo program. :-) brings back some great memories.
Posted By: IKE Re: Where Were You July 20 1969? - 07/21/23
I was 19, in the Army and 5 months into my tour in VN.
At my Grandparents house watching it all on their Zenith console T.V. I remember going out to the backyard and looking up at the moon and thinking men are walking around up there .

-Ken

They landed in the late afternoon (where I was). I don't recall what time they actually exited the lunar module and walked on the moon, but it does seem like it was several hours later. I remember thinking to myself "what are they waiting for?"
Originally Posted by 22250rem
I was 19 and about a month away from getting off a bus at Parris Island S.C.. It was a Sunday night and I watched it in the living room with the whole family. Shortly after that I walked outside and the moon was visible in the night sky. I remember looking at it and it blew my mind that there were guys up there.

Tks for the moon reference, I have a memory of going outside and looking at the moon (Sea of Tranquility?) in wonder, but wasn’t sure if that was that night or some subsequent night. I’m sure millions around the world did the same thing.

This was in England, the whole country was transfixed, looking at their tellys.
All of two trimesters old. Pretty sure I was in the room when it was broadcast, but unaware of it.
Packing my seabag, getting ready for an all expenses paid trip to Vietnam.
I was three months shy of joining the Navy..
Posted By: 007FJ Re: Where Were You July 20 1969? - 07/21/23
I was three and staring at the TV most likely with everyone else. I remember later rocket launches better.
Posted By: JHM Re: Where Were You July 20 1969? - 07/21/23
I was 12 on Eglin AFB sitting in the living room with my family while watching it.
Originally Posted by Craigster
Packing my seabag, getting ready for an all expenses paid trip to Vietnam.
LOL.
I was in Boise shooting pool and drinking a beer.
Originally Posted by gizzyman

Here's another question. If the lunar module had thrusters on it to prevent it from crashing onto the moon's surface, why was there loose dust in which to make a footprint as he stepped off the ladder?

For lunar landing believers, these are called "rescuing devices" by those who doubt.
Ringman, who put the two laser reflectors on the moon? You can verify that they are indeed there by pointing a high powered laser at the correct coordinates and receive a return signal. Scientists, with the aid of computerized equipment, are able to determine the exact distance of the moon from the earth by this method.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Well, buck, you're not a fu cking boomer. But you are a fu cking azzwipe. As is anybody who defames boomers. Your parents are likely boomers.

LOL, I am technically a baby boomer. My parents are of the silent generation, they were born in the 30's.
Posted By: wahoo Re: Where Were You July 20 1969? - 07/21/23
i was in 'A' school in Memphis.
I was 8 yo and watched it sitting in my grandparent's house in Nantucket, MA. I remember it like it was yesterday. We had really bad reception on the old black and white and it was hard to see through all of the static. I'm sure that the rabbit ears were adjusted to the best of their ability.
They rolled a TV into the class room 3rd grade ..
I was almost done being 8 and was getting ready to be 9.
Drinking a cheep beer and pondering the Greetings from the President letter I had received.
Ringman, who put the two laser reflectors on the moon? You can verify that they are indeed there by pointing a high powered laser at the correct coordinates and receive a return signal. Scientists, with the aid of computerized equipment, are able to determine the exact distance of the moon from the earth by this method.
question.

Who put the laser reflectors on the deer I ranged with a laser range finder?
U of M Bug Camp on Douglas Lake, Pellston, MI taking summer courses. Don't recall that there was a televsion....pretty far from TV broadcast stations.
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter
U of M Bug Camp on Douglas Lake, Pellston, MI taking summer courses. Don't recall that there was a televsion....pretty far from TV broadcast stations.

Used to eat at the Douglas Lake Bar

Fun times!

Here's another question. If the lunar module had thrusters on it to prevent it from crashing onto the moon's surface, why was there loose dust in which to make a footprint as he stepped off the ladder?
Because there was no breeze to carry that dust away after disturbance by those thrusters.

Because there was no breeze to carry that dust away after disturbance by those thrusters.

Actually the moon has been pounded by meteorites for millions of years. These pulverize rocks into dust. There is no wind or moisture to disturb it, just more meteors.
I'd just started working in a cabinet maker's shop probably a day or two before. Worked there until August 31 when I was laid off due to no work. That evening the Meteorologist in Charge for the state of Nevada actually stopped by my house and offered me the job at Winnemucca Nevada. The rest is history.
PJ

You don't get it. Because there is no atmosphere the dust would have continued in the direction from which it was disturbed. There would not be any dust for a footprint. NONE!
Building new dock facilities at the new oilfield in Prudhoe Bay. When I saw the film clips a few months later, I thought, Jeez, same photographer and camera that took the Bigfoot film clip. Grin.

You don't get it. Because there is no atmosphere the dust would have continued in the direction from which it was disturbed. There would not be any dust for a footprint. NONE!
Okay, so how did the two laser reflectors get on the moon? You can verify that they are there by pointing a precision high-powered laser at the right coordinate and registering a bounce back signal on special instruments. They are used on a regular basis by researchers in this manner. How'd they get there? I'd appreciate an answer. You keep dodging it.
[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Okay, so how did the two laser reflectors get on the moon? You can verify that they are there by pointing a precision high-powered laser at the right coordinate and registering a bounce back signal on special instruments. They are used on a regular basis by researchers in this manner. How'd they get there? I'd appreciate an answer. You keep dodging it.

You're assuming I believe there are laser reflector on the moon. Laser range finders work everyday in the hunting fields. What scientist put them on the hunters' targets?
You're assuming I believe there are laser reflector on the moon. Laser range finders work everyday in the hunting fields. What scientist put them on the hunters' targets?
In order to get a bounce back signal, the high powered laser must be precision aimed at one of the two reflectors, which are pretty small objects. Aiming a laser at the moon will get zero bounce back without hitting one of the two reflectors. Their presence there is 100% verifiable by anyone with the right equipment, and it's done fairly regularly for research.

And gravity is just the Devil's hoax. Without an atmosphere the dust falls right back down.

But Flat Earthers who believe we're only 6,000 years old here are real authorities.

Oh my gosh, Rich.

No atmosphere does not equate to no gravity. All the dust lifted by the landing thruster, settled right back down to the surface.

If I remember correctly, one of the astronauts hit a golf ball from the lunar surface. It flew away at 1/6 Earth gravity, and no wind drag. But still it dropped back to the surface.

https://www.astronomy.com/observing...-moon-and-now-we-know-where-they-landed/

In the annals of golf history, Alan Shepard’s shots from the lunar sand may be the most famous swings ever taken. And after 50 years, image analysts have finally determined how far his golf balls went.

When America’s first man in space was assigned to be commander of Apollo 14, he saw an opportunity to create the 1971 equivalent of a viral moment. So, before his trip to the Moon, he commissioned a custom 6-iron head that he could attach to the end of a lunar sampling tool in lieu of a regular golf club.

Then, as his time on the lunar surface came to an end, he stood in front of a TV camera with his makeshift club and two golf balls. After a few one-armed swings that mainly moved regolith, he shanked his first ball into a crater. He made better contact with the second ball, though. And as it sailed out of the camera’s view, he remarked, “Miles and miles and miles.”

Of course, he didn’t mean that literally. But in the Moon’s airless environment with just one-sixth the gravity of Earth, Shepard later estimated that his modest pitch shot carried the ball about 200 yards (600 feet).

However, image specialist Andy Saunders recently analyzed archival stills taken by the astronauts with their Hasselblad cameras, as well as video from the lunar ascent module as it lifted off from the surface. Saunders managed to identify not only Shepard’s golf balls, but also his footprints from his stance and his divots. By comparing these to more recent satellite images from NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, Saunders was able to measure the distance on Shepard’s second shot. The result? A rather tame 40 yards (120 feet).

Still, that’s not bad for a one-handed bunker shot taken while wearing a bulky spacesuit in weak gravity. Plus, it served as one of the Apollo program’s most memorable moments. When asked about the shot at a post-flight Congressional hearing, Shepard quipped, “I did this since I am patriotic and concerned about the security of the nation.”
July 20, 1969, I was living in our new house out in the township. We'd moved in in May. It was a muggy afternoon with intermittent showers and a light thunderstorm. After dinner, the rain had let up and I went out to ride my bike. I was taking a tight turn in the circle of the cul-de-sac in front of my house when the tires slipped and I went down. I ended up watching the moon landing with a wicked road burn .
I was 6 yrs old and the moon landing is my earliest TV memory to this day.
Rat patrol or Star trek reruns being a close 2nd or 3rd.
Vietnam footage and Enemy and Friendly KIA and WIA figures per the Walter of Chronkite also early TV memories.

Oh..
BTW.....

Ringman,s cheese fell off his cracker long ago....
Pretty obvious per his mental and cognitive decline from his post over the last 2 to 3 yrs at the least...

🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: g5m Re: Where Were You July 20 1969? - 07/24/23
I was on base watching the landing.
Living in base housing at Keesler AFB (West Falcon Park). The movers were packing us up to move to Karamursel, Turkey for three years.

The joys of being an AF dependent.

StarchedCover
© 24hourcampfire