Home
Posted By: stxhunter Glock 29 - 09/06/23
Glock 29, anyone have one, how do you like it?
Posted By: Backroads Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
Favorite woods carry gun, way more accurate than you expect with 200gr hardcast.

Get the mag grip extensions.
Posted By: wyoelk Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
Love mine but make sure you finger fug one before you buy. I have to hold mine different than my other Glocks because they put the mag release button close to where I keep my thumb. Shooting the big thumpers like Buffalo Bore hardcast would cause my thumb to hit the release button at times.
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
If you need a 29, you need a 20.

IMO the sub frame guns are pointless unless you are 5 feet tall and 500lbs. Conceal the full size guns with a shirt and be done.

UNLESS....it's a good deal. Then hell with practicality, buy it anyway.

That being said, I don't have a 29, but I have a bunch of Glocks, I think 15 or 17. Great guns, even when you take a swim in the Potomac with them.

ETA: The two posters above are absolutely right. While I don't have a 29, I do have a 33, and shooting it without the mag extensions isn't great in ideal conditions. Probably awful in less than ideal conditions.
Posted By: marktheshark Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
Good advice given to handle and if possible shoot one before buying. I HAD one and tried hard to like it but just couldnt. Kind of how a G40 for some reason feels MUCH better in my hands than a G20 and I shoot the G40 alot better as well. Right now in the 10MM carry game my favorites are my newish Sig 320 Xten and my RIA Tac ultra. My G40 with RDO gets the nod for hunting use.
Posted By: Esteban325 Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
I like mine, esp. with grip extender and standard mag. Good truck / woods carry. Frills, ergonomics, and trigger pull seem a bit dated in light of recent releases by other brands so as suggested try them out before you buy. Ballistic-wise, it will send weaksauce 180's at about 1050, potent 180's at about 1150 based on my limited chronograph tests. Those same loads gain about 100 - 150 out of a 6" barrel G40.
Posted By: hardway Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
Stx…..don’t know about the newer versions but when I bought mine (gen 3) about 10-15 years ago I was able to handle the regular and SF version….. I preferred the SF…. Someone can correct me but I think it stands for “Short Frame” and is like 1/4” shorter from the back strap to the trigger face….. probably not an issue with the newer models with the interchangeable back straps? Either way, the 29 is a work horse….. thing will eat whatever ammo you feed it and is more accurate than I can shoot.
It’s a touch blocky for CCW for my tastes but ymmv.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
Don't like the 29, 27, or 26.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
I love my G20. The G29 is way too small for my hand and if I’m going to add the finger groove mag extension I might as well get a G20 and reap the full benefits.

15+ rounds of 220 or 200 grain HardCast at 1300fps is bad medicine and my primary woods pistol. For city carry I have a G19.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
PS….I put HD springs in my Glocks…22# in the G20 and 20# in the G19.
Posted By: ribka Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
I tried the 29.

My hands are too big even with the mag extension. sold it Im fine with the 9mm in a sub compact , not the 10 mm

Guess Ill stick with my g 20 with my chest rig in bear country
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
I had one, the regular not the SF version. I bought it to carry in the woods instead of my Glock 19 after a close encounter with a big PO’d feral boar hog. The 29 carried about like a 19, just a tad fatter/heavier.

I put the 8lb New York trigger springs on it that I like on my 19. I also switched out the magazine release with a Glock 19 one, dropped right in and this gave a lower profile release button but still easily operable.

Downsides:

1) I bought it right before the SF version came out, that might have been mo better. Always was a bit clumsy in the hand.

2) Ammo was/is hard to find and twice the cost of 9mm. I carried it loaded with 200gr BuffaloBore Hardcasts.

3) It wasn’t hard to shoot and was fun to shoot in the way that hotter handgun loads are, but I could still shoot my Glock 19 faster and better.

4) A Glock 19 holds 15+1 vs 10+1 in the Glock 29.

Eventually the cost/scarcity of ammo was the dealbreaker. Too expensive to practice with. Then when Phil Shoemaker killed a grizzly with 9mm 147gr Hardcasts that was it, I traded off the 29.

No grizzlies in South Texas, I shoulda just gone to 9mm Hardcasts in the first place.
Posted By: RicG Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
G20 B more gooder... IMO.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
I'm going to go and look at one today and see how it fits my hands.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
Been my primary carry gun in the woods and on the street for 20+ years. I love it !!!

I'm 6'2" and 255 lbs and could even carry it concealed when I was a skinnier guy.
I have pretty huge hands and have never found it to be any problem.
It's actually a whole lot more fun to shoot than one might imagine.
It's way more accurate than I have the ability to shoot it.
I've let several gals run full power stuff through it and none complained.
I did put a 2.5 lb trigger kit in it.
It always, always, ALWAYS feeds, functions and fires.

I carry this gun in the woods.......on the tractor..... It's a tool. And, in that, I don't work on it if it ain't broke. The 2.5 lb kit was installed by a certified Glock armorer who had spent a couple tours in the sandbox. I told him the gun was filthy. He told me not to worry.......he'd seen it ALL. Well......after tearing it down, he admitted he'd NEVER seen a gun so dirty inside. Dust, goldenrod fluff, dirt, fir sap............. I said, "I done TOLD you". Point being......it was still operating like a Swiss (Austrian) watch.

My carry round is the Winchester 175 Silvertip.
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
I have the following 10mms, which is my favorite all-purpose caliber:

G29
G20 (w/ 4.4” and 6” bbls)
G40
Dan Wesson Bruin

I don’t carry my G29 much because there usually is something better for a given situation.

My always-with-me concealed carry weapon is my Sig P938. For me, it’s an ideal front pocket gun. It’s always with me. Even if I also am carrying open, which I only do in nature.

My G40 is my favorite open carry gun.

But, if I could only have one handgun with me for an extended period, and that would require concealed carry and urban and off-the-grid self-defense, it would be my G29.

It is not as compact as a good compact 9mm, but it can be carried concealed effectively.

When I carry it, I generally do that in a compact camera case.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It has reached 700 ft-lbs on one load over my chrono.

It sends a 150-gr Underwood Xtreme Hunter bullet out at 1,354 fps.

It sends a 200-gr hardcast out at about 1,200 fps.

It’s not as repeatable as my G40, but, under stress, I think it could accurately hit a close target at around 3 rounds per second.

It’s like a modestly (not hot) loaded 41 Rem. Mag with 11 rounds in a 32-5/8 ounce (fully loaded) compact package.

Hard to beat as an all-around performer.
Posted By: Steelruger22 Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
So my opinions very much align with Marinehawks. Have a stable of 10mms including all 3 sized Glocks, 10mm is my favorite pistol cartridge after all. From mild to wild it can't be beat for versatility.

The G29 is good, but I find myself in very few situations where the G20 isn't better. Everyone likes to add the grip sleeve and run 20 mags out of the 29 for added capacity but after trying it I never saw the point. I'll take the longer site radius and bump in velocity over that. The G29 is still a large pistol by modern CC standards. I have found that if you can conceal the 29, then th 20 is doable too. Open carry its a moot point. In either size or weight.

If I were to only have one, it would be G20. If I liked to have options and needed that firepower in a slightly smaller packaged for those niche situations then I would add a G29 to the stable after getting a 20. However with that said. I see the merits that the g29 carry if you want a decent jack of all trades , master of none pistol. But from CC to Open Carry, to hunting. There are better options out there.
It will be a carry gun, I don't hunt much with a pistol the few animals I've killed with a handgun just happened and all I had on me was a pistol. I got other pistols better suited to hunting.
Posted By: fester Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
I liked mine. My reloads made it bark pretty good.
Posted By: akrange Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
I’m 5’ 2 and 600lb’s and I can Shoot Some BadAss
Clusters with the 43x MacKay Hard Casts ..

No Grip Extension..
Posted By: 79S Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
For EDC, get a G17 get 147gr speer GD and don’t look back. I learned all this from the man himself Flave!
Posted By: deflave Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
Junk.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
I have a Glock 30, which should be dimensionally identical. I like it a great deal. Shoots great, and is reasonably easy to conceal, due to the short grip.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I have a Glock 30, which should be dimensionally identical. I like it a great deal. Shoots great, and is reasonably easy to conceal, due to the short grip.

Also junk.
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
A G29 in the front jean pocket is my town gun. Thinking about getting a gen4 and letting this one become a dedicated truck gun.

Fobus offers a paddle mag carrier that makes a 10 round reload practically disappear on the belt.
Originally Posted by deflave

Also junk.
So uncharacteristic of you to be so reflexively negative about something.

Also junk.
So uncharacteristic of you to be so reflexively negative about something.

When you know the subject you can speak definitively.
Posted By: Hypocrite Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
If how well a pistol conceals is priority I’d skip over the 10mm.

Yes g29 shoot better than they should, but it’s still a silly concept imo and I’ve carried one a decent amount.

The drawback of drawing from concealed with a short fat grip is enough for me to step up to a g20. And yeah you aren’t shooting one as good as a full size.
Posted By: Anaconda Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
I have handled and shot a Glock 29 SF enough to form an opinion.

It is very concealable.
Very reliable.
Very powerful.

It has significant recoil, but it is "manageable".

With the short sight radius and Glock trigger pull it is NOT a bulls eye gun, but rapid fire ten ring hit at 15 yards are doable with a bit of practice.

It is very popular with police/law enforcement as a "back up" gun.

10mm is expensive to shoot, about twice the price of 9mm.

In a self defense "bad guy" scenario, I would feel just as good with a 9mm.

To stop a bear, or a car, the 10mm would be preferable.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
Originally Posted by stxhunter
I carried a Glock 30 (same size of the 29 just chambered in 45 ACP) for many years concealed. they are thick and they are heavy. you will know if you drop it or leave it somewhere cuz you will feel lighter and your pants will feel bigger... that said I never really had no issues in carrying one. but these days I choose to carry something thinner and lighter..
Originally Posted by ldholton
I carried a Glock 30 (same size of the 29 just chambered in 45 ACP) for many years concealed. they are thick and they are heavy. you will know if you drop it or leave it somewhere cuz you will feel lighter and your pants will feel bigger... that said I never really had no issues in carrying one. but these days I choose to carry something thinner and lighter..
I carry one of 3 full-size 1911s now, 2 of those are double stack paras a 38 super, and a 40 s&w. I doubt a 29 could be heavier or bulkier.
One other question, Can I shoot 40 S&W in it, I have a few thousand rounds of it, and I think I could use some of that for plinking/practicing with it.
You should be able to shoot .40 in it with or without an aftermarket .40 barrel, but best practice is to get the aftermarket barrel to save undue wear on the extractor hook.
One other question, Can I shoot 40 S&W in it, I have a few thousand rounds of it, and I think I could use some of that for plinking/practicing with it.

So buy a .40.
You should be able to shoot .40 in it with or without an aftermarket .40 barrel, but best practice is to get the aftermarket barrel to save undue wear on the extractor hook.

Yes.

We don't wanna wear out the extractor on our G29.

LOL
Already have a Para double stack 40 S&W. Too heavy and bulky to carry concealed, but I have carried it on occasion, it's not ideal.
Already have a Para double stack 40 S&W. Too heavy and bulky to carry concealed, I do carry it on occasion but it's not ideal.

Alrighty then.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
Frick!

It's tiny!
Posted By: Slavek Re: Glock 29 - 09/06/23
Ideal setup would be G29 with extended barrel and dot sight. Unfortunately Glock does not sell G29 MOS.
Posted By: 79S Re: Glock 29 - 09/07/23

So buy a .40.

You can buy G22 trade in’s for around 300 bucks if not for less.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Glock 29 - 09/07/23
Originally Posted by 79S

So buy a .40.

You can buy G22 trade in’s for around 300 bucks if not for less.

Or a 23, but they're a little more difficult to find for a good deal.
Posted By: viking Re: Glock 29 - 09/07/23
Buy what you want, only you will know if you like it.

If you do buy one, you’ll have a Lego building block starter kit.😆. You can convert it to 40 cal, 357 Sig and probably some other stuff.

https://lonewolfdist.com/
Posted By: Slavek Re: Glock 29 - 09/07/23
It is hard to explain but larger size of G22 robs of versitility and practicality. Basically other then range use within reason bigger just sucks for carry purposes. That is why something like G19/G23 are more in demand. This is about the largest handgun that can be carried on regular bases. Obviously something like G43x will sell even faster.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Glock 29 - 09/07/23
I had a G20 1st. Bought the 29 and found it to be just as accurate and I can use larger G20 magazines in it if I need more ammo or a better grip. They look and feel better with a mag sleeve, but it isn't necessary. I liked the versatility of having the smaller gun with 10 round mags and longer 15 round mags so I sold the G20.

There is only 3/4" difference in barrel length and sight radius which adds nothing to accuracy or velocity. It's not like the difference between a 3" barreled revolver and a 6" barreled revolver. That 3" can make a difference.

I used both of those as camping/hiking guns so the smaller size mattered to me. Of course, I could, and did make the G20 work. But I could never get comfortable with keeping them in a sleeping bag with a loaded chamber at night.

When Smith came out with the M&P in a 4" compact 10mm pistol with the option of a 1911 style manual safety I bought one. They split the difference in size between the G20 and G29. I like 10mm, but it fills a specific role for me. I don't shoot it enough to justify 2 guns in 10mm so I sold the Glock. The safety lever on the Smith being the only reason.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Glock 29 - 09/07/23
I’ve carried a pistol concealed every day since 1985. I have a Glock 30SF (same size as a G29 only in 45acp). It’s a little thick for me for summer carry. I find myself carrying my Glock 43 with Shield Arms 9 round magazines most if the time. If you have the chance of running into a hog or bear on a regular basis, the G29 makes sense. If I need something with a little more horsepower, I carry my G27 in .40 S&W.

Ron
Posted By: cs2blue Re: Glock 29 - 09/07/23
Glock 43 for the warm months of the year, Glock 27 for colder winter months. No on to other issues in my life!
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Glock 29 - 09/07/23
I will wager that if you buy the G29... you will be reselling it within a year.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock 29 - 09/07/23
Originally Posted by CashisKing
That is a known phenomenon with the Glock 27. Likely even more common with the Glock 29.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Glock 29 - 09/07/23
If you reload, the G20 makes some sense. Especially if you hunt. A Kanai chest holster makes sense. I am afraid that before I bought a G29 I would consider a used G23 loaded with hardcast bullets.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Glock 29 - 09/08/23
That is a known phenomenon with the Glock 27. Likely even more common with the Glock 29.

I bought a Lone Wolf barrel for my G27, and some X-Grips to slide over G23 magazines so they fit flush. I have to admit that 2 rounds of CCI snake shot followed by 12 rounds of Underwood 200 grain Hard cast flat nose at 950fps are pretty comforting in the woods of southeastern Ohio.

Ron
My woods carry set up.

Ron
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Glock 29 - 09/08/23
I do believe the Glock 29 packs more ftlbs per ounce of any easily carryable handgun out there, so it is much more fun at the range than a Glock 19.

But…. I’m faster and more accurate with a Glock 19, might not be as entertaining to defend myself with it tho….
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Glock 29 - 09/08/23
The XGrip works well when using G20 mags in a G29. My G29 is every bit as accurate and reliable as my G20. I prefer the G29 to the G20 for carry.

Posted By: stxhunter Re: Glock 29 - 09/08/23
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
The XGrip works well when using G20 mags in a G29. My G29 is every bit as accurate and reliable as my G20. I prefer the G29 to the G20 for carry.

I like that.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Glock 29 - 09/08/23
Didn't pack my 10mm today.

Only threats down here in the jungle are mountain lions, rabid coyote or skunk and the distinct possibility of getting charged by a pack of coons.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

I do the same with G21 magazines in my G30SF. I have a Gen 3 G20, but no G29….yet! 😂

Ron
Posted By: deflave Re: Glock 29 - 09/09/23
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Didn't pack my 10mm today.

Only threats down here in the jungle are mountain lions, rabid coyote or skunk and the distinct possibility of getting charged by a pack of coons.

A proper pistol.

Good buy, Sam.
Posted By: viking Re: Glock 29 - 09/09/23
The sweet corn King, protecting his stash👍🏻
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Glock 29 - 09/09/23
It got for realz this morning on my way to take a shotgun for a stroll.

10 mil in the hizzou.

25 yards rested off the grill guard.

Took 4 or 5 shots at this runner.

It was literally a blast!
Oh dear.
Brother Flave, there was brass flyin'!

And thanks for the dot recommendation, it's a hoot.
Brother Flave, there was brass flyin'!

And thanks for the dot recommendation, it's a hoot.

SRO rules.

I told my wife to bring me a G45 next week.

I'm sure she'll comply.
Good woman.

Sometime when I'm more focused I need to ask you about the new Trijicons.
Posted By: Esteban325 Re: Glock 29 - 09/09/23
Sam, are you using the small dot or large dot? I have my eye on the 1 moa not for a pistol but for a rifle, am curious if you have the small dot and have any problems discerning the aimpoint.
Posted By: deflave Re: Glock 29 - 09/10/23
Good woman.

Sometime when I'm more focused I need to ask you about the new Trijicons.

You big money, sonny.
Originally Posted by Esteban325
Sam, are you using the small dot or large dot? I have my eye on the 1 moa not for a pistol but for a rifle, am curious if you have the small dot and have any problems discerning the aimpoint.

Get the big dot.
Posted By: garyh9900 Re: Glock 29 - 09/10/23
Originally Posted by marktheshark
Good advice given to handle and if possible shoot one before buying. I HAD one and tried hard to like it but just couldnt. Kind of how a G40 for some reason feels MUCH better in my hands than a G20 and I shoot the G40 alot better as well. Right now in the 10MM carry game my favorites are my newish Sig 320 Xten and my RIA Tac ultra. My G40 with RDO gets the nod for hunting use.
Are you running full power 10mm loads or the some of the more tame stuff? I'm curious to how the XTen handles and holds up with full power loads.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Glock 29 - 09/10/23

Get the big dot.

Just went and looked, my SRO is a 5MOA dot and I would not want it any smaller.

This is my first and only dot and I was expecting a larger dot as this one is fairly small. Almost wondered if they mixed up the packaging and sent me the wrong size dot.

Forgot I also have a dot on an AR-15 but I don't know what size. Sig M400 Tread Coil with a factory installed Romeo5?

Get the big dot.

Just went and looked, my SRO is a 5MOA dot and I would not want it any smaller.

This is my first and only dot and I was expecting a larger dot as this one is fairly small. Almost wondered if they mixed up the packaging and sent me the wrong size dot.

You got the Cadillac right out of the gate.

SRO rules.
I bought a 3.5 RMR off another fire member recently. I was going to put it on top of my kid's Steel Challenge rifle but I ended up putting a Horosun 510 on it.

I'll probably put that RMR on top of the G45 I told my wife to pay for.

We'll see.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Glock 29 - 09/10/23
I love those Holosun 510s on rifles... (Flave's suggestion... Thanks).

May try one on a heavily modified Savage 720 next... just because.
Run a Delta Point on the 10" Rowland G21...

Delta Point was a choice back then, but would not be anymore...
Posted By: Raferman Re: Glock 29 - 09/10/23
Run a Delta Point on the 10" Rowland G21...

Delta Point was a choice back then, but would not be anymore...
That ever a problem on the draw?
Lol
Originally Posted by Raferman
Lol

Hunting rig...

EDC is a 5" or 6"

...or just a plain G19
I love those Holosun 510s on rifles... (Flave's suggestion... Thanks).

May try one on a heavily modified Savage 720 next... just because.

Uhhhh....
Lol

Hunting rig...

EDC is a 5" or 6"

...or just a plain G19

19s suck.
Lol

Hunting rig...

EDC is a 5" or 6"

...or just a plain G19

19s suck.

19s are fine... Maybe someday I will upgrade... maybe not...
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Glock 29 - 09/10/23
Those in the know think the Glock 19 sucks. They're just way too ideal.

They're a compromise.

Compromise is gay.
Posted By: Skankhunt42 Re: Glock 29 - 09/10/23
I bought a 3.5 RMR off another fire member recently. I was going to put it on top of my kid's Steel Challenge rifle but I ended up putting a Horosun 510 on it.

I'll probably put that RMR on top of the G45 I told my wife to pay for.

We'll see.
Your wife is the best.
Posted By: 79S Re: Glock 29 - 09/10/23

They're a compromise.

Compromise is gay.

Wait don’t you own one? I remember you writing a long winded story about it.
Originally Posted by 79S

They're a compromise.

Compromise is gay.

Wait don’t you own one? I remember you writing a long winded story about it.

No, fugk face.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Glock 29 - 09/10/23
If you look, the 29 isn’t really any lighter than the G20. Same amount of metal, and the plastic is light. I have a 20 and it’s a fantastic pistol.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
If you look, the 29 isn’t really any lighter than the G20. Same amount of metal, and the plastic is light. I have a 20 and it’s a fantastic pistol.

OK, dumb fugk.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Glock 29 - 09/10/23

Shorter barrel/slide, same amount of metal?

Hmmmm?
Posted By: Raferman Re: Glock 29 - 09/10/23
Retard.
© 24hourcampfire