Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#18733979 09/05/23
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Glock 29, anyone have one, how do you like it?

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB4

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Favorite woods carry gun, way more accurate than you expect with 200gr hardcast.

Get the mag grip extensions.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Love mine but make sure you finger fug one before you buy. I have to hold mine different than my other Glocks because they put the mag release button close to where I keep my thumb. Shooting the big thumpers like Buffalo Bore hardcast would cause my thumb to hit the release button at times.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If you need a 29, you need a 20.

IMO the sub frame guns are pointless unless you are 5 feet tall and 500lbs. Conceal the full size guns with a shirt and be done.

UNLESS....it's a good deal. Then hell with practicality, buy it anyway.

That being said, I don't have a 29, but I have a bunch of Glocks, I think 15 or 17. Great guns, even when you take a swim in the Potomac with them.

ETA: The two posters above are absolutely right. While I don't have a 29, I do have a 33, and shooting it without the mag extensions isn't great in ideal conditions. Probably awful in less than ideal conditions.

Last edited by Verylargeboots; 09/05/23.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good advice given to handle and if possible shoot one before buying. I HAD one and tried hard to like it but just couldnt. Kind of how a G40 for some reason feels MUCH better in my hands than a G20 and I shoot the G40 alot better as well. Right now in the 10MM carry game my favorites are my newish Sig 320 Xten and my RIA Tac ultra. My G40 with RDO gets the nod for hunting use.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I like mine, esp. with grip extender and standard mag. Good truck / woods carry. Frills, ergonomics, and trigger pull seem a bit dated in light of recent releases by other brands so as suggested try them out before you buy. Ballistic-wise, it will send weaksauce 180's at about 1050, potent 180's at about 1150 based on my limited chronograph tests. Those same loads gain about 100 - 150 out of a 6" barrel G40.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stx…..don’t know about the newer versions but when I bought mine (gen 3) about 10-15 years ago I was able to handle the regular and SF version….. I preferred the SF…. Someone can correct me but I think it stands for “Short Frame” and is like 1/4” shorter from the back strap to the trigger face….. probably not an issue with the newer models with the interchangeable back straps? Either way, the 29 is a work horse….. thing will eat whatever ammo you feed it and is more accurate than I can shoot.
It’s a touch blocky for CCW for my tastes but ymmv.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't like the 29, 27, or 26.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I love my G20. The G29 is way too small for my hand and if I’m going to add the finger groove mag extension I might as well get a G20 and reap the full benefits.

15+ rounds of 220 or 200 grain HardCast at 1300fps is bad medicine and my primary woods pistol. For city carry I have a G19.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
PS….I put HD springs in my Glocks…22# in the G20 and 20# in the G19.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I tried the 29.

My hands are too big even with the mag extension. sold it Im fine with the 9mm in a sub compact , not the 10 mm

Guess Ill stick with my g 20 with my chest rig in bear country

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I had one, the regular not the SF version. I bought it to carry in the woods instead of my Glock 19 after a close encounter with a big PO’d feral boar hog. The 29 carried about like a 19, just a tad fatter/heavier.

I put the 8lb New York trigger springs on it that I like on my 19. I also switched out the magazine release with a Glock 19 one, dropped right in and this gave a lower profile release button but still easily operable.

Downsides:

1) I bought it right before the SF version came out, that might have been mo better. Always was a bit clumsy in the hand.

2) Ammo was/is hard to find and twice the cost of 9mm. I carried it loaded with 200gr BuffaloBore Hardcasts.

3) It wasn’t hard to shoot and was fun to shoot in the way that hotter handgun loads are, but I could still shoot my Glock 19 faster and better.

4) A Glock 19 holds 15+1 vs 10+1 in the Glock 29.

Eventually the cost/scarcity of ammo was the dealbreaker. Too expensive to practice with. Then when Phil Shoemaker killed a grizzly with 9mm 147gr Hardcasts that was it, I traded off the 29.

No grizzlies in South Texas, I shoulda just gone to 9mm Hardcasts in the first place.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
G20 B more gooder... IMO.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm going to go and look at one today and see how it fits my hands.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been my primary carry gun in the woods and on the street for 20+ years. I love it !!!

I'm 6'2" and 255 lbs and could even carry it concealed when I was a skinnier guy.
I have pretty huge hands and have never found it to be any problem.
It's actually a whole lot more fun to shoot than one might imagine.
It's way more accurate than I have the ability to shoot it.
I've let several gals run full power stuff through it and none complained.
I did put a 2.5 lb trigger kit in it.
It always, always, ALWAYS feeds, functions and fires.

I carry this gun in the woods.......on the tractor..... It's a tool. And, in that, I don't work on it if it ain't broke. The 2.5 lb kit was installed by a certified Glock armorer who had spent a couple tours in the sandbox. I told him the gun was filthy. He told me not to worry.......he'd seen it ALL. Well......after tearing it down, he admitted he'd NEVER seen a gun so dirty inside. Dust, goldenrod fluff, dirt, fir sap............. I said, "I done TOLD you". Point being......it was still operating like a Swiss (Austrian) watch.

My carry round is the Winchester 175 Silvertip.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have the following 10mms, which is my favorite all-purpose caliber:

G29
G20 (w/ 4.4” and 6” bbls)
G40
Dan Wesson Bruin

I don’t carry my G29 much because there usually is something better for a given situation.

My always-with-me concealed carry weapon is my Sig P938. For me, it’s an ideal front pocket gun. It’s always with me. Even if I also am carrying open, which I only do in nature.

My G40 is my favorite open carry gun.

But, if I could only have one handgun with me for an extended period, and that would require concealed carry and urban and off-the-grid self-defense, it would be my G29.

It is not as compact as a good compact 9mm, but it can be carried concealed effectively.

When I carry it, I generally do that in a compact camera case.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It has reached 700 ft-lbs on one load over my chrono.

It sends a 150-gr Underwood Xtreme Hunter bullet out at 1,354 fps.

It sends a 200-gr hardcast out at about 1,200 fps.

It’s not as repeatable as my G40, but, under stress, I think it could accurately hit a close target at around 3 rounds per second.

It’s like a modestly (not hot) loaded 41 Rem. Mag with 11 rounds in a 32-5/8 ounce (fully loaded) compact package.

Hard to beat as an all-around performer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So my opinions very much align with Marinehawks. Have a stable of 10mms including all 3 sized Glocks, 10mm is my favorite pistol cartridge after all. From mild to wild it can't be beat for versatility.

The G29 is good, but I find myself in very few situations where the G20 isn't better. Everyone likes to add the grip sleeve and run 20 mags out of the 29 for added capacity but after trying it I never saw the point. I'll take the longer site radius and bump in velocity over that. The G29 is still a large pistol by modern CC standards. I have found that if you can conceal the 29, then th 20 is doable too. Open carry its a moot point. In either size or weight.

If I were to only have one, it would be G20. If I liked to have options and needed that firepower in a slightly smaller packaged for those niche situations then I would add a G29 to the stable after getting a 20. However with that said. I see the merits that the g29 carry if you want a decent jack of all trades , master of none pistol. But from CC to Open Carry, to hunting. There are better options out there.

Last edited by Steelruger22; 09/06/23.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It will be a carry gun, I don't hunt much with a pistol the few animals I've killed with a handgun just happened and all I had on me was a pistol. I got other pistols better suited to hunting.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I liked mine. My reloads made it bark pretty good.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I’m 5’ 2 and 600lb’s and I can Shoot Some BadAss
Clusters with the 43x MacKay Hard Casts ..

No Grip Extension..

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,900
Posts18,479,331
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.