Home
I’m starting a new job which is going to put me on my feet walking and standing way more than I do now. I don’t have any decent work shoes to use at the moment and am using my romeos. Anybody have any suggestions for a good comfortable shoe to wear in a work environment? I’ll be visiting various businesses from hair salons to heavy manufacturing facilities. No steel toe requirements but I’m fine with them if it’s a good shoe.
redwing pecos pull-ons.....
Thorogood moc toes with the white wedge sole. I put on between 5 and 8 miles a shift on concrete and gravel, get two years out of a pair, comfortable as slippers.
Originally Posted by TheKid
Thorogood moc toes with the white wedge sole. I put on between 5 and 8 miles a shift on concrete and gravel, get two years out of a pair, comfortable as slippers.
I might try thorogoods this year. It's time for my annual boot allowance so we'll see if I can get a discount and get the price down somewhere less painful. I've been wearing Keens and Timberland Pro and have been happy with them, so I don't want to spend a ton more hoping I like them.
Don’t let the name fool you. Sturdy, comfortable, Oxford work shoe.

WORK SHOE
Allen Edmonds
What level of dress?
SAS (San Antonio Shoes)
Not cheap, but well made and made in America.

+1 on the thorogoods.

I wear the steel toe wellingtons everyday on concrete.

Thorogood makes both slip on , lace up. Steel and non steel toe.

Most of their shoes are made in USA.

Though if i didn’t have to wear safety toe, I’d wear a pair of Anderson beans.
Posted By: Teal Re: Comfortable, Sturdy Work shoe - 09/12/23
A decent pair of Doc Martins would fit that bill for me.

I'd like to try RedWings sometime - had Thorogoods and HATED them. Most painful and uncomfortable boot I've ever owned but I also have flat feet and never found an insole to be worth a damn.
Redwing G-lite chukka. They come in aluminum toe and non- safety toe. Extremely lite. They work with dress or blue jeans.

$200 pr
My current shoe is a Carolina with Crepe Sole. I get about a year on the first sole. I am about ready to buy a new pair, and have the pair I am wearing resoled. USA Made also.
I wore RedWing for years, another good choice, but the last pair I checked out were made in South America. Better than China but not USA Made.

Bob R
If you don't need a true "dress shoe" and casual will work I'd look @ these:

Meindl Shoe
Anything from ECCO
Originally Posted by huntsman22
redwing pecos pull-ons.....

laugh laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by Teal
had Thorogoods and HATED them. Most painful and uncomfortable boot I've ever owned but I also have flat feet and never found an insole to be worth a damn.

Same here. Worn Redwing, Justin, Wolverine, Danner, Lehigh, among others with a preference for Redwing, Danner, and Justin. After all the rave reviews about Thorogood, I got a pair of Moc Toe and they were easily the most uncomfortable boot I’ve ever tried. Wore them on and off for months trying to get them broken in. The leather held up but the tread didn’t last very long.

Point being, picking a reputable brand is great but only your feet can tell you if it’s a good fit.
Originally Posted by ironbender

WORK SHOE

I like the looks of those and will get some ordered - thanks for the link!

I've been wearing Keen's for the last few years, but am wanting to switch it up a bit. I can't get more than a few months out of a pair of Keen's for some reason, and their prices have gone up beyond what I want to pay for Dixie cup boots.

I work in an office environment for the most part, but I wear boots on days I have to be at construction jobsites, at my home shop, and around the ranch.
Originally Posted by LowerRiver
I’m starting a new job which is going to put me on my feet walking and standing way more than I do now. I don’t have any decent work shoes to use at the moment and am using my romeos. Anybody have any suggestions for a good comfortable shoe to wear in a work environment? I’ll be visiting various businesses from hair salons to heavy manufacturing facilities. No steel toe requirements but I’m fine with them if it’s a good shoe.

LR - consider making an appointment with a podiatrist and getting custom orthotics made in addition to getting your new boots. Sounds like you are going to be on your feet quite a bit, on hard surfaces. Just slide out the factory insoles and replace them with the orthotics.

I always thought orthotics had an old man/boomer stigma, and resisted for a long time. I had a fairly young guy working for me at that time who swore by them, so I eventually caved in. Turned one to be of the smartest things I've done, and they have helped considerably with arch fatigue, knee and hip pain, etc.
You’re welcome. I wear them all winter when not wearing my Sorels. Winter is too slick for my pull on Justin workboot that I wear April-October. Very comfortable for my feet, and they come in wide.
Originally Posted by Pat85
Allen Edmonds

Nice

I agree. Most comfortable boot I've ever worn. And wow, have the prices really jumped since I started wearing them in 2016 based on recommendations on here. As others said though, everybodys foot and body is different on what works.

Thorogood 814-4201
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

WORK SHOE

Used to wear a Sears version for years working 8-17 hr days on hardwood and concrete floors.

They were made in the US of A of real leather too.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

WORK SHOE

Used to wear a Sears version for years working 8-17 hr days on hardwood and concrete floors.

The Sears garage Oxford? I had those too. Should have bought a case before they were discontinued.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

WORK SHOE

The Sears garage Oxford? I had those too. Should have bought a case before they were discontinued.
Yeah, that might be what they were called.

Could be resoled even, Goodyear welt and all. Even back in the 80's they cost a few bucks but were worth it. I should have found out who made them for Sears.

I'd use them for walking shoes when the weather gets too cold for me to go barefoot or in sandals if they were still available.
Originally Posted by 9point3
What level of dress?
I wear a polo or henley shirt and jeans.
What level of dress?

I love SAS shoes and you specifically said shoes not boots. Last forever and are comfy as heck!!!
Bruno Magli
Calrks Cotrell loafers. 52 bucks. Good support. Light as a feather. Last forever. When forever is over drop 52 bucks on another pair.

I discovered them 25 years ago--thought the first pair was never going to wear out. I've got other shoes. But I won't be without a pair of these. I hope they don't stop making them.

They're true to size. I wear a size 12 and a size 12 fits my feet like they were custom made for them.

Read the reviews. People really like them.

https://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Cotre...rgid=pla-410403779499&th=1&psc=1
Originally Posted by slumlord
Bruno Magli
You think a tie with a short sleeve polo shirt is too much?
What level of dress?

I love SAS shoes and you specifically said shoes not boots. Last forever and are comfy as heck!!!
Velcro shoes for $200+. Hmmmm…….
I average about 5 miles a day on concrete. Keen has worked good for me. Current pair is 3 years old. When the original insole wears out, I replace them with with Superfeet running insoles.
© 24hourcampfire