Home
Posted By: hardin284 Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
I just read they are closing the Ilion, NY plant in March and moving to LaGrange, Ga.

If this is a duplicate post or posted elsewhere or whatever, I don’t care. It is worth repeating.
They had a good thing going in Huntsville Alabama until somebody ran the company into the ground- - - -huge building, lots of room to expand, and a gun friendly political climate. My SIL was a tool room machinist there.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
Leaving one blue state for another.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
I wish they'd come to Kentucky, we have a bunch of gun folks that need jobs.
Posted By: LBP Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
Originally Posted by slumlord
Exactly wtf!
Posted By: Riverc Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
Don't make much sense you would think they would choose a solid Red State like Louisiana or any of the others.
Posted By: mathman Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
Originally Posted by Riverc
Don't make much sense you would think they would choose a solid Red State like Louisiana or any of the others.

Maybe they couldn't swing all the necessary payoffs for Louisiana.

That would make sense but how often does Remington do anything that makes sense?

They’ve still living off of the 870 and 700 actions. If not for those they would have been dead a long time ago, they haven’t improved on or innovated anything since.
Posted By: mrmeener Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

That would make sense but how often does Remington do anything that makes sense?

They’ve still living off of the 870 and 700 actions. If not for those they would have been dead a long time ago, they haven’t improved on or innovated anything since.
yea but they came out with the remington 30 AR. they slightly enlarged the AR-15 for the 30 AR round which had 90% of the power of a 308. stupid people at remington just let it die out. imagine necking it up from 6mm to 338. a 6.5 or 7mm version of the 30 AR would be a great round
Originally Posted by mrmeener

yea but they came out with the remington 30 AR. they slightly enlarged the AR-15 for the 30 AR round which had 90% of the power of a 308. stupid people at remington just let it die out. imagine necking it up from 6mm to 338. a 6.5 or 7mm version of the 30 AR would be a great round

Or how they royally screwed up the 280 and 260. Or the 244 Remington for that matter with the wrong rifles and the wrong twist. And raced to the bottom to cheapen the brand focusing on budget guns.

FN, CZ, H&K, Sig to name a few that keep on innovating while Remington sits pat.

I get the budget guns but not as the primary focus.

Ruger doesn’t do anything as far as military innovation or contracts and sells lot’s of good budget guns but they also offer no 1’s, have a niche single action revolvers market and offer other guns to appeal to a broader market.
Posted By: memtb Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
Good for Remington and a win for Georgia! Though, I wonder if the Georgia thugs will get a discount. memtb
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
Remington always had a way of screwing up what should’ve been great ideas in cartridges.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
Or how they royally screwed up the 280 and 260. Or the 244 Remington for that matter with the wrong rifles and the wrong twist. And raced to the bottom to cheapen the brand focusing on budget guns.

FN, CZ, H&K, Sig to name a few that keep on innovating while Remington sits pat.
It is kind of hard to understand why the .280 and the .260 didn't take off. The 7mm/08 did pretty good but the 6.5 Creedmoor outran them all and I can't see why. My daughter in law was going to get a Creedmoor and I told her to get a .260 or 7mm/08. They feed better and at the ranges she would shoot she wouldn't know the difference.
Originally Posted by Hastings

It is kind of hard to understand why the .280 and the .260 didn't take off. The 7mm/08 did pretty good but the 6.5 Creedmoor outran them all and I can't see why. My daughter in law was going to get a Creedmoor and I told her to get a .260 or 7mm/08. They feed better and at the ranges she would shoot she wouldn't know the difference.

Remington screwed up the twist and misread the market. I think that with a faster twist and promoting it as a dual precision/hunting cartridge based off of the 308’s history for both that it would have taken off.

I like the 7mm/08. I have a Ruger no. 1 and Rem 700 Classic chambered in 7x57mm if I had a more contemporary style hunting rifle I’d rather have a 7mm/08.

Remington first chambered the 280 in a semiauto rifle as the 7mm Express which didn’t make a lot of sense. Then they renamed it and remarked it but still kept the SAMI pressure lower than the 270 due to the semiauto rifles.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
I'm surprised they have been able to stay in business this long.

They haven't contributed a thing in over 30 years.

When they couldn't think of anything innovative, they just went straight to the cheap bottom.
Is the union fork lift driver still going to be able to snag $47/hr + double time on Sundays?

Smartest thing I’ve heard today!
Posted By: gunzo Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
Kimber easing there way out of NY for Al.

S&W slowly heading into Tn.

Will Colt even notice?

A matter of time when they'll all be south of the Mason Dixon whether they want to or not. What can't they understand?

Seriously wondering what took them so long.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
Remington screwed the pooch on the .280 and .35 Whelen by not loading them to their full potential so that they'd be gentle on their pump and semiautos. Not to mention the wrong twist rate on the .35 Whelen. A wrong twist on the .244 didn't help either. You have to wonder what bunch of idiots made those decisions?
PJ
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
Originally Posted by mathman

Maybe they couldn't swing all the necessary payoffs for Louisiana.
LOL, but they could for GA, come on man.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
Remington went bankrupt in 2021 and the pieces of the company were sold off. A new group owns the bolt rifles and shotguns. The ammunition component went to other other owners. The Marlin Firearms were sold to Ruger. It’s just a shadow of Remington.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
The is a vacant building in Cody Wyoming...

They coulda gots fo pennies...
Originally Posted by CashisKing

It’s only about as big as a Hardees or Earl’s Boot Barn and Belts

Thanks for the intel...

As the owner told it...

It was a massive gun building operation that is single handedly responsible for saving the entire free world from Orks.
Maybe he lied?
Maybe he lied?

I can zillow it

I was just on there verifying VomitGuy’s claim of a 5,000 square ft domicile
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
The reason all these legacy gun companies are moving out of the NE is to escape the monopoly labor unions.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
The reason all these legacy gun companies are moving out of the NE is to escape the monopoly labor unions.
…and taxes.

Both have destroyed and shut down many a business.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
A UPS person told me once that Louisiana was the last state that UPS could obtain a license to operate in! I asked him why that was? His retort was...."the bosses couldn't figure out who to PAY OFF!!"
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
A UPS person told me once that Louisiana was the last state that UPS could obtain a license to operate in! I asked him why that was? His retort was...."the bosses couldn't figure out who to PAY OFF!!"

Read "All the Kings Men." Stories of corruption in Louisiana go way back. Also featured in The Big Easy. Dennis Quaid played a New Orleans cop, he was a good cop but the Feds* were after him for being on the take.
Fiction, I know. Still...

*He did get to bang the hot female FBI agent who was trying to arrest him.
Posted By: ribka Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23

Thanks for the intel...

As the owner told it...

It was a massive gun building operation that is single handedly responsible for saving the entire free world from Orks.

lol
*Orcs
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
😂😂😂😂
Posted By: hardin284 Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/03/23
Georgia will be RED in ‘24, despite the cess pool of Atlanta. Once Atlanta is cleaned out it will be RED from then on… TSWRA
Posted By: RAM Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/04/23
Originally Posted by gunzo

Will Colt even notice?

A matter of time when they'll all be south of the Mason Dixon whether they want to or not. What can't they understand?

Kimber has been in Ala. 3 years already

Smith & Wesson is gone already

Remington LLC is already in LaGrange

And the Czecks have the old Colt for over a year.

Update your "News" browser
Posted By: Oakster Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/04/23
Plenty of room in Gun Friendly Wyoming for these companies. I suppose our wages are too high to find good labor.
Posted By: hardin284 Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/04/23
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by gunzo

Will Colt even notice?

Kimber has been in Ala. 3 years already

Smith & Wesson is gone already

Remington LLC is already in LaGrange

And the Czecks have the old Colt for over a year.

Update your "News" browser

Remington (actually the company who bought them) is producing ammo in LaGrange but not firearms. They are producing firearms (if you call their recent production “firearms”) in Ilion, NY thru March, approximately. Update YOUR browser…
Posted By: RAM Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/04/23
Revenge is a dish best served cold. Save room for dessert.
Posted By: hardway Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/04/23
I'm not in the know but weren't their 1911's good quality? Could have sworn I hear that somewhere.... other than that , I agree....700's and 870's all they've had going for quite a few years and the super cool ones like the mountain rifle, ks, original TI, and 40x's they left hangin for the crap bargain rifles....... used to make some damn good 22's as well.
Never did understand why they closed that Alabama plant rather than staying in New York and keeping that plant open
Posted By: ALLongshot Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/04/23
Remington screwed over a lot of employees and broke a bunch of contracts with State, County and city officials in Alabama. Rumor has it the city got the facility as payment for some construction work and utility bills that was done and never paid for.
They absolutely had a perfect area with plenty of space and lots of skilled and educated workers in the area. But their years of poor decisions and poor quality was too much to overcome
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/04/23

They tried a 9mm pistol about 5 years ago. It looked good but it was a mechanical failure as I recall.

kwg
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/04/23
Look at the prices of 7600's. Why they don't want to produce them is beyond me
Posted By: AU338MAG Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/04/23
Originally Posted by ALLongshot
Remington screwed over a lot of employees and broke a bunch of contracts with State, County and city officials in Alabama. Rumor has it the city got the facility as payment for some construction work and utility bills that was done and never paid for.
They absolutely had a perfect area with plenty of space and lots of skilled and educated workers in the area. But their years of poor decisions and poor quality was too much to overcome
Yes. City gave Remington a lot of incentives to locate here and when Remington went belly up, Huntsville got the building.

Just sold the building recently and the new owners are expanding.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/04/23
Originally Posted by hardin284
I just read they are closing the Ilion, NY plant in March and moving to LaGrange, Ga.

If this is a duplicate post or posted elsewhere or whatever, I don’t care. It is worth repeating.

Yes and this is being characterized as a result of the Sandy Hook shootings lawsuit. As if the plant is permanently being closed and not reopened somewhere else.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Remington moving to Ga - 12/04/23
The 7mm-08 wS just too good to kill but man they tried. It was introduced in the early 80s and took nearly 30 years to really catch on. It is now one of those rounds that you will generally find in stock at places like Academy along with 30-06, .270, 6.5 Creed, .223, .308 and a few others but it took a long damned time to get there. And it never would have it it wasn’t pretty much the perfect whitetail cartridge.
© 24hourcampfire