Home
Posted By: vbshootinrange buffalo trace - 12/18/23
On a buds recommendation I picked up a jug of Buffalo Trace Whiskey. Pretty good stuff!

He also said Eagle Rare was very good, but I couldn't find any locally.

Was drinking Four Roses, then Old Grandad. and now Buffalo Trace. I seem to be enjoying the flavor more with each "test"

Any ideas for another affordable Kentucky Whiskey?

Thanks! Virgil B.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
Bulleit
Posted By: Bristoe Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
I'm not a Bourbon fan--even though I live very close to Bourbon County, Kentucky.

But "Bookers" is old school, barrel strength, small batch Bourbon. It's not cheap--and it's strong. But it's what the local Bourbon enthusiasts drink when they want something special.

Several years ago I became acquainted with a Canadian Army Captain who was heading to Afghanistan. He liked Bourbon. I gave him a fifth of Bookers to share with some special friends while he was deployed.

https://www.bookersbourbon.com/#

Booker’s® Bourbon is a rare barrel-strength bourbon, bottled uncut and unfiltered*. But you obviously know a good bit about bourbon, because you don’t end up here by mistake. We don’t advertise. We don’t do social media. We just do bourbon.
We focus on the sweet spot. The center of the rackhouse where the temperature and humidity stars align to create the deepest and most intense flavors. Once it’s aged to perfection, which always varies, the liquid is bottled uncut and unfiltered*. We don’t add, we don’t water down, and we don’t apologize for it. For some people, it may be too much. But for true bourbon fans, it’s probably the best ever.

And this about Booker Noe:

Booker was a sixth-generation master distiller who grew up at a distillery in the heart of Kentucky. He was born to bourbon. While others rejoiced to drink bourbon at age 21, Booker was thrilled to start making the stuff.

In 1992, Booker introduced the world to small batch bourbon. He actually coined the term “small batch.” With it came his own signature bourbon, Booker's® True Barrel Bourbon. Inspired by a 200-year-old tradition, Booker's® is bottled uncut and unfiltered*.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
Benchmark is the most affordable buffalo trace product i can think of........
Posted By: Teal Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
Bulleit is a fav

Brother just got me a bottle of Willett Family Estate 4 year Rye for Christmas, I might give a go for whiskey. It's not a name I remember hearing much about here so we'll see if it's good.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
W.L. Weller is pretty good. Another great selection is Henry McKenna. Try to find the bottled in bond 10 year old. Another suggestion for a great sipping Bourbon is the Russell Reserve, 10 year old.
Posted By: bearhuntr Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
Blantons is no slouch either...
Posted By: Feral_American Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: FLNative Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
‘Affordable’ is a relative term in this respect, but one that is generally affordable, not very common, and worth every dollar is Belle Meade.
Posted By: Raeford Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
Tried BT and didn't care for it.
Jefferson's is my fav.
Posted By: reivertom Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
It's all mainly cleaning fluid.
Posted By: mathman Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Benchmark is the most affordable buffalo trace product i can think of........

Not what I'd call sipping grade.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
W.L. Weller is pretty good. Another great selection is Henry McKenna. Try to find the bottled in bond 10 year old. Another suggestion for a great sipping Bourbon is the Russell Reserve, 10 year old.

I picked up a bottle of Henry McKenna 10 year bottled in bond Saturday. It is one I certainly look for and prefer it over Buffalo Trace, even though it is more expensive.

Col. E. H. Taylor and Mitchers US1 are pretty good too. I even like the rye version of the Mitchers US1.
Posted By: RicG Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
I prefer Eagle Rare over regular BT (even though they are both BT distilled).
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
Buffalo Trace is an easy drinker.
Eagle Rare, too.

Other faves (of mine):

Russell's Reserve 10 yr
Wild Turkey 101
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Four Roses Small Batch
Weller Special Reserve
Benchmark Top Floor
Bowman Brothers Small Batch
Posted By: GreenMtnBoy Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
[Linked Image from allstarwine.com]
Posted By: CRS Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
I enjoy lots of bourbons. A short list of what I like.
Eagle Rare
Blantons
Burning Chair
Basil Hayden Dark Rye
Old Elk
Bowman Brothers
Woodford Reserve
Woodford Double Oak
Wild Turkey 101
Rare Breed
Longbranch
George Dickel bottled in Bond
Old Forester Bottled in Bond

Not a Four Roses fan
Posted By: JGray Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
Buffalo Trace is my favorite in a moderately priced bourbon. Another one I've really enjoyed and never hear mentioned is Wathen's. A little more expensive than BT, but quite smooth for sipping.

My SIL works at a liquor store and when the small batch and hard to get bourbons show up, the local bourbon 'snobs' grin line up when they open and they sell out in minutes with a 1 bottle/person limit. He gets a heads up when something interesting is coming and snags a bottle for me before it's gone. Eagle Rare is one they only get once or twice a year.
Posted By: jmdriver Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
New riff malted rye
Old forester 1920
Makers mark cask strength
Rare breed
Four Roses small batch
Posted By: Fastback65 Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
Ok i just tried Tim Smith Climax whiskey wood fired I thought it was very good.

Redemption Single barrel the blue label one
Basil Hayden
Stranahans Blue peak
Posted By: Tyrone Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
Originally Posted by CRS
Not a Four Roses fan
Then you won't like Bulleit. It's a 4 Roses product, tastes like a young 4 Rose.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
Buffalo Trace is my all time favorite based on over 150 bourbons I have tried so far. No one has mentioned Woodford Reserve yet, also a solid and affordable choice. (Edit: CRS did) We tried a "cheap whiskey" night in my bourbon group and found Old Tub was awarded the top spot. It goes for just under $20 a bottle here and the rule that night was no whiskey over $20, minis not included. I have tried 4 Roses many times, but I find it undrinkable, seems to have a dish soap taste to it.
There are some outstanding Japanese and Irish whiskeys for $50 and under if you are interested in expanding beyond bourbon.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
Redneck Riviera
Posted By: pappabear Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
I like Buffalo Trace if you can find it. My go to is Wild Turkey 101. Also like Bulleit Rye and Knob Creek. When I feel like spending a little more it's Russel Reserve.
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Redneck Riviera

Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Switch
Mountain Dew and RedNeck Riviera Whiskey, awake and drunk. Good stuff.

That's barely a half step above Prestone and methanol.

grin
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
Wild Turkey isn't bad for a regular whiskey.
Posted By: WeimsnKs Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
Cheap and expensive are relative terms.

@ $80 per, try some Penelope. I prefer the Toasted variety.
I remember with longing the days before brown spirits became trendy and people with more money than sense got into the market.
Posted By: JakeM78 Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
I'm sipping Baker's right now, 107 proof. I miss Bookers, but it's been priced right out of existence to me.
Posted By: HickoryNut Re: buffalo trace - 12/18/23
Anyone ever tried Clyde Mayes? I like the 85 (my favorite) & 92. I have never heard of some of these (old tub, smith climax, blue peak). I will see if they are available in my area. BT is hard to come by here.
Posted By: CRS Re: buffalo trace - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by CRS
Not a Four Roses fan
Then you won't like Bulleit. It's a 4 Roses product, tastes like a young 4 Rose.

Correct, tried Bulleit a couple of times. Even the 10 yr. Not for me.

The thing about bourbons, like what you like. No apologies. Best enjoyed with friends and family over good conversation. Drink what you like, like what drink. However you want to drink it. To heck with the snobs.

Forgot to mention that I like Elijah Craig and Jack Daniels Bottled in bond also.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: buffalo trace - 12/19/23
Not able in my addled mind to follow how this thread has segued, so I'll just offer this: We sell 7 figures of booze annually. "Flights" are one of our biggest hits. The best "cheap" juice out there is Old Forrester 100 proof and Wild Turkey 101. If you want to argue the difference between a $25 bottle and a $29 bottle you're seriously not playing in a league where your opinion means a [bleep]...
Posted By: 4th_point Re: buffalo trace - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Was drinking Four Roses, then Old Grandad. and now Buffalo Trace. I seem to be enjoying the flavor more with each "test"

Any ideas for another affordable Kentucky Whiskey?

Thanks! Virgil B.

Not sure if you tried it or the standard version, but my favorite affordable is Old Grandad Bonded. I keep trying others but still like OG BiB the best for the price and even a bit more.

But, I'm not a fan of Four Roses (seems bland until you get to the older stuff) or Buffalo Trace (reminds me of perfume) so OG BiB may not suit you. I don't like Maker's either but it reminds me of FR and BT.

If you want to splurge, I really like everything that I have tried from WESTWARD, up in WA. Really good stuff to me, but obviously not KY likker!
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: buffalo trace - 12/19/23
Lots of good advice here!

I'll keep looking for Eagle Rare, and try some of the others mentioned.

Old Grandad Bonded sounds like it might be to my liking.

Thanks! Virgil B.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: buffalo trace - 12/19/23
OGD 114 for the win. Might be right up your alley, but its alot of proof.

Woodford is a can't miss bottle as well in my mind. Store picks are often quite good, you might find some of them.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: buffalo trace - 12/19/23
Wild Turkey 12 year old is the daily tot at home and with the guys at deer camp. Surprisingly good and affordable. When a deer is killed, we get one shot of Weller Supreme. Now that is tasty stuff!
Posted By: mathman Re: buffalo trace - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Wild Turkey 12 year old is the daily tot at home and with the guys at deer camp. Surprisingly good and affordable. When a deer is killed, we get one shot of Weller Supreme. Now that is tasty stuff!

I don't know that Weller variety.
Posted By: scoony Re: buffalo trace - 12/19/23

Probably meant Special Reserve, or the Green label.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: buffalo trace - 12/19/23
I tried some Devil's River a while back, not too shabby! Hooten and Young is my favorite right now when finances allow!
Posted By: scoony Re: buffalo trace - 12/19/23
I found a honey hole that carries Evan Williams single barrel for under 40. Everywhere else, it is over 50 which is a bit overpriced.

The local Walmart will get in their allocation of Buffalo Trace products from time to time. I have lost some interest in chasing bottles of late, but can get Blanton's, Eagle Rare, and Weller SR for msrp when I am not being lazy. They are also the cheapest place to get Bookers, Knob Creek 12 year, and Wild Turkey Rare Breed which are all good.

On the cheaper side of things:
Wild Turkey
Jim Beam Single Barrel <- one of my favorites of the cheaper bottles.
Evan Williams BiB
Old Bardstown BiB <- only available in KY
Elijah Craig
Posted By: EdM Re: buffalo trace - 12/19/23
Hard to beat Weller Special Reserve at $50 a handle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: JakeM78 Re: buffalo trace - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by EdM
Hard to beat Weller Special Reserve at $50 a handle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'll have to buy a bottle on my next trip. I do enjoy the Dickel Bottled in Bond.
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: buffalo trace - 12/19/23
I walked into a little corner gas station, liquor store the other night while filling up my truck.
There on the shelf were 4 bottles of Buffalo Trace. I've been having a hard time finding it lately, so I bought all 4.
It's a favorite for sipping or making old fashioneds
Posted By: NoDak Re: buffalo trace - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by CRS
Not a Four Roses fan

Correct, tried Bulleit a couple of times. Even the 10 yr. Not for me.

The thing about bourbons, like what you like. No apologies. Best enjoyed with friends and family over good conversation. Drink what you like, like what drink. However you want to drink it. To heck with the snobs.

Forgot to mention that I like Elijah Craig and Jack Daniels Bottled in bond also.

^^^^^ This. Life's to short. Enjoy it.
Posted By: mathman Re: buffalo trace - 12/19/23
Originally Posted by CRS
Not a Four Roses fan

Not necessarily.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: buffalo trace - 12/20/23
If you like smoooooth, BT is not your huckleberry.

MM
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: buffalo trace - 12/20/23
Lots more good advice!

Looks like I'd better head for the liqueur store.... Again!

I "need" to do more "taste testing"

Thanks again!

Virgil B
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: buffalo trace - 12/20/23
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Not able in my addled mind to follow how this thread has segued, so I'll just offer this: We sell 7 figures of booze annually. "Flights" are one of our biggest hits. The best "cheap" juice out there is Old Forrester 100 proof and Wild Turkey 101. If you want to argue the difference between a $25 bottle and a $29 bottle you're seriously not playing in a league where your opinion means a [bleep]...

Agree with this.......

Will opt for Old Forrester's over woodford reserve
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: buffalo trace - 12/20/23
I'm not really a Buffalo Trace fan, but that's not to say it doesn't fit someone else's tastes.

My go to Bourbons are:
Four Roses Small Batch (not the base Four Roses, it's not nearly as good).
W.L. Weller Special Reserve but it's been hard to find lately
Knob Creek 9 year old.

I prefer Scotch but to get a good drinking one you need to be around $60 a bottle, the Bourbons above can be had for around $30 so most days the Bourbon gets the nod 'cause I'm cheap.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: buffalo trace - 12/21/23
Unlike a previous poster, I am both a big fan of Buff Trace, and of Old Grand Dad Bonded. The OGD BiB is available locally for $17.49 a fifth and is probably the best bourbon for the money there is. Love buff trace too and don't find them too counter to one another. I just received a gift of a fine bottle of Whistle Pig Rye that I am saving for a special tasting and am excited to try. BUT I wonder why the heck they use a pig as their symbol. Don't they know a whistle pig is a ground hog?
Kinda the same with Buff trace - their symbol is the outline "trace" of a bison. But a "buffalo trace" is the trail they leave behind in their passing.

Oh well, they're all mighty tasty, regardless of how they market.

Rex
Posted By: gsganzer Re: buffalo trace - 12/21/23
Originally Posted by FLNative
‘Affordable’ is a relative term in this respect, but one that is generally affordable, not very common, and worth every dollar is Belle Meade.

Solid recommendation brother! I bought a bottle tonight, based on this thread and I agree 100%. I'm a Buffalo Trace fan ($36 price point) and the Belle Meade is worth the $59 price point. Very nice sipping whiskey.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: buffalo trace - 12/21/23
Originally Posted by scoony

Probably meant Special Reserve, or the Green label.

this
Posted By: CRS Re: buffalo trace - 12/21/23
I found Weller Special Reserve to be unremarkable.

Old Grandad bottled in bond was surprising for the price.
Posted By: rflshtr Re: buffalo trace - 12/21/23
Did a tour of several KY distilleries this fall. Evan Williams was a pleasant surprise. Also liked Knob Creek and Weilers. My current favorite which nobody has mentioned so far is 1792.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: buffalo trace - 12/22/23
I used to drink Charter 10. When Buffalo Trace quit selling it. I tried Buffalo Trace. It has the sour taste like Makers Mark and Jim beam. I wouldn't buy it if it was 10 dollars a fifth.
Posted By: Esteban325 Re: buffalo trace - 12/22/23
Bulleit
This... for quality / $ at least.

But I am neither critical nor picky in great amount. Costco gets me whenever they have the handles for 3 @ $35 each.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: buffalo trace - 12/22/23
I’m not much of a drinker and pretty much tried almost every bourbon mentioned in this thread. So far I have not found anything that tastes better than Russels Reserve.
© 24hourcampfire