Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CRS
Not a Four Roses fan
Then you won't like Bulleit. It's a 4 Roses product, tastes like a young 4 Rose.

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Buffalo Trace is my all time favorite based on over 150 bourbons I have tried so far. No one has mentioned Woodford Reserve yet, also a solid and affordable choice. (Edit: CRS did) We tried a "cheap whiskey" night in my bourbon group and found Old Tub was awarded the top spot. It goes for just under $20 a bottle here and the rule that night was no whiskey over $20, minis not included. I have tried 4 Roses many times, but I find it undrinkable, seems to have a dish soap taste to it.
There are some outstanding Japanese and Irish whiskeys for $50 and under if you are interested in expanding beyond bourbon.

Last edited by NDsnowman; 12/18/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Redneck Riviera

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I like Buffalo Trace if you can find it. My go to is Wild Turkey 101. Also like Bulleit Rye and Knob Creek. When I feel like spending a little more it's Russel Reserve.

Easy's gettin' harder everyday
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Redneck Riviera

Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Switch
Mountain Dew and RedNeck Riviera Whiskey, awake and drunk. Good stuff.

That's barely a half step above Prestone and methanol.

grin

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Wild Turkey isn't bad for a regular whiskey.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Cheap and expensive are relative terms.

@ $80 per, try some Penelope. I prefer the Toasted variety.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I remember with longing the days before brown spirits became trendy and people with more money than sense got into the market.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm sipping Baker's right now, 107 proof. I miss Bookers, but it's been priced right out of existence to me.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Anyone ever tried Clyde Mayes? I like the 85 (my favorite) & 92. I have never heard of some of these (old tub, smith climax, blue peak). I will see if they are available in my area. BT is hard to come by here.

IC B3

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by CRS
Not a Four Roses fan
Then you won't like Bulleit. It's a 4 Roses product, tastes like a young 4 Rose.

Correct, tried Bulleit a couple of times. Even the 10 yr. Not for me.

The thing about bourbons, like what you like. No apologies. Best enjoyed with friends and family over good conversation. Drink what you like, like what drink. However you want to drink it. To heck with the snobs.

Forgot to mention that I like Elijah Craig and Jack Daniels Bottled in bond also.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not able in my addled mind to follow how this thread has segued, so I'll just offer this: We sell 7 figures of booze annually. "Flights" are one of our biggest hits. The best "cheap" juice out there is Old Forrester 100 proof and Wild Turkey 101. If you want to argue the difference between a $25 bottle and a $29 bottle you're seriously not playing in a league where your opinion means a [bleep]...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Was drinking Four Roses, then Old Grandad. and now Buffalo Trace. I seem to be enjoying the flavor more with each "test"

Any ideas for another affordable Kentucky Whiskey?

Thanks! Virgil B.

Not sure if you tried it or the standard version, but my favorite affordable is Old Grandad Bonded. I keep trying others but still like OG BiB the best for the price and even a bit more.

But, I'm not a fan of Four Roses (seems bland until you get to the older stuff) or Buffalo Trace (reminds me of perfume) so OG BiB may not suit you. I don't like Maker's either but it reminds me of FR and BT.

If you want to splurge, I really like everything that I have tried from WESTWARD, up in WA. Really good stuff to me, but obviously not KY likker!

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/18/23.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of good advice here!

I'll keep looking for Eagle Rare, and try some of the others mentioned.

Old Grandad Bonded sounds like it might be to my liking.

Thanks! Virgil B.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
OGD 114 for the win. Might be right up your alley, but its alot of proof.

Woodford is a can't miss bottle as well in my mind. Store picks are often quite good, you might find some of them.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wild Turkey 12 year old is the daily tot at home and with the guys at deer camp. Surprisingly good and affordable. When a deer is killed, we get one shot of Weller Supreme. Now that is tasty stuff!

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Wild Turkey 12 year old is the daily tot at home and with the guys at deer camp. Surprisingly good and affordable. When a deer is killed, we get one shot of Weller Supreme. Now that is tasty stuff!

I don't know that Weller variety.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by travelingman1

I don't know that Weller variety.

Probably meant Special Reserve, or the Green label.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I tried some Devil's River a while back, not too shabby! Hooten and Young is my favorite right now when finances allow!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I found a honey hole that carries Evan Williams single barrel for under 40. Everywhere else, it is over 50 which is a bit overpriced.

The local Walmart will get in their allocation of Buffalo Trace products from time to time. I have lost some interest in chasing bottles of late, but can get Blanton's, Eagle Rare, and Weller SR for msrp when I am not being lazy. They are also the cheapest place to get Bookers, Knob Creek 12 year, and Wild Turkey Rare Breed which are all good.

On the cheaper side of things:
Wild Turkey
Jim Beam Single Barrel <- one of my favorites of the cheaper bottles.
Evan Williams BiB
Old Bardstown BiB <- only available in KY
Elijah Craig

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (450yukon, 260Remguy, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 2ndwind, 14 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,379
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.