Home
There’s a documentary on Prime (Freevee?) called, “The Personal Experience-Helicopter Warfare in Vietnam”. It starts with training and continues on through the war with the personal experiences of guys like you. From LOACH to Slicks to Cobras and Chinooks this is a GREAT documentary (from my neophyte perspective) but I couldn’t help but think of you as well as my FIL and several other brave men that flew those aircraft. 👍🏼

As usual I wish you all the best my friend. God bless you all that did a very dangerous job, whatever that entailed!
DigitalDan thread from back when. Hope you don't mind I post this DD.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...r/6585900/A_roll_of_the_dice#Post6585900
I flew with an old 'Nam pilot for years that had crashed 8 times in his career and everyone thought I was nuts. I figured if he walked away from 8 he knew how to flop them down when the turbine quit whining.
You fellas are makin’ me blush!

Almost. 😜

I’ve seen a few shows of that sort and it’s flashback city. I even remember what napalm smells like in the morning.
I agree...........
DD is the only man I've ever known or even ever heard of that survived two tours in a Loach.
I am half expecting to catch a glimpse of him in one of the pictures he’s posted here but I’m sure that if he didn’t know anyone on the documentary he’d likely recognize 1 or 2. I think it’s quite well done and down to earth firsthand, no bullshit view of chopper pilots flying different choppers. Great pictures and great stories from MEN that were boys and how their experience changed their lives forever.
Good interview with a Loach pilot. He seems fairly casual about the whole thing considering he got shot down four times during his 1 year stint in Vietnam. He discusses them starting at the 42:00 mark.

DD's a treasure.
Thanks for the heads up Ace’s it’s very interesting.
Complete sidebar Dan may enjoy.

I used to work with a guy named Robbie. This was right after Vietnam. I was just a young sprout just trying to get by in a bad economy. Robbie looked like that guy on Reacher, only not as tall. He was a Vietnam Vet, fresh back from SEA. This was hard ass construction work we were doing for not a lot of money.

One day I said to Robbie, "Why don't you use your military experience to get a better job?".

He says to me, "Greg, There's not much demand for a helicopter door gunner".

I laughed my ass off, but I think he was probably right.
Helluva good guy.
I salute Mister Daniel, and all that served.
When I read Dan's stuff, it shriveled my nut sack. If all goes as planned, I'm going to meet him in a few months. It'll be an honor.
Dan is the man!
He has lead an interesting life. I, for one , wish he would publish a book of his experiences.
My hat's off to you DD. Utmost respect and thanks for your service.
A fraternity brother of mine went through helo training as a Warrant and in his tour in Vietnam he flew Loaches and Slicks. Some good tales. Down and dirty in all the small arms envelopes. Lots of “Golden BBs” flying around looking for a transmission or engine to destroy…
Thanks to all you fellas, dunno if I'm worthy of such praise.

One of the more curious adventures over there began early AM, 1 Oct '69. Started raining, and then it got quite cool. Cold enough actually that we put on our flight jackets and closed the hootch windows. Just to illustrate the unusual nature of the event, whilst visiting the outhouse one morning there appeared a bamboo viper next to my throne. Anyone not familiar with SE Asia snakes should know they look very much like a green snake, but have a red tail tip. And fangs. Little bastards can kill you right there. AND, they can warm the day up quite a bit. You may notice my jacket is unzipped?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
to this day the sound of a Huey is heavens music and the sight of the pilot is close to seeing God.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

One of the more curious adventures over there began early AM, 1 Oct '69. Started raining, and then it got quite cool. Cold enough actually that we put on our flight jackets and closed the hootch windows. Just to illustrate the unusual nature of the event, whilst visiting the outhouse one morning there appeared a bamboo viper next to my throne. Anyone not familiar with SE Asia snakes should know they look very much like a green snake, but have a red tail tip. And fangs. Little bastards can kill you right there. AND, they can warm the day up quite a bit. You may notice my jacket is unzipped?

Would that be because your handgun (a 38 revolver I think was standard issue) was in a shoulder holster?

/john
DD is a true campfire treasure. My father in law was also a chopper pilot in Nam, but won't talk much about it. True heroes I think.
Originally Posted by SS336
Dan is the man!
He has lead an interesting life. I, for one , wish he would publish a book of his experiences.

^^^This^^^
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I’ve read and re-read DD’s stories posted here several times. I suggested the same to him a couple of times.
It would be a great book that most couldn’t put down once they started reading it.

Also watched the Documentary Ace mentioned above on Amazon Prime. Excellent viewing.
And the first thing I thought of when watching it was of DD and reading his stories posted here on the Fire.

Also, I had two Uncles that were Vietnam vets. Both Marine Recon.
Both said chopper pilots like DD saved their bacon more than a few times over there.
Thankfully, they both made it home.

Thanks again DD for your Service and for posting your personal stories / experiences here for all to read.
I join the others for saluting DD for his service and sharing his stories here on the fire.
You have a gift in story telling that I admire......
Thanks Ace. I will watch that! Read Chicken Hawk many years back. Still recall pieces of it.

And many heartfelt thanks to DD! I first encountered you on the AR forums. Always a font of wisdom and I'm ever grateful to men like you.
Hot LZs, no fun for anyone.
Loach drivers in the flying egg acting as bait, FAC and Covey Riders in glorified Cessnas; well, it takes a special breed, and I'm glad they're on our side.
Hardly a day goes by that I don't have a flashback or at least a memory of something in 'Nam. I'm positive that's true for Dan and every other veteran of those times. None of us came home unchanged, for sure.
I’ve really enjoyed reading Rocky’s books and the chapters DD posted here awhile back.
Sign me up as another member encouraging DD to complete a book about his adventures.
I’m an avid reader of American military history and Dans memories would be an important contribution.
I read it years ago, never forgot the bravery.
Thank you for your service Digital Dan!
I sure agree with the OP/Aces and the other good things posted about Dan. He also was on the ball and of key help to the SW guys in our efforts to tend to a buddy in need. Despite that, turned out that we were too late. Best to you, Dan.
I’m glad that others are on the same page. 👍🏼

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Would that be because your handgun (a 38 revolver I think was standard issue) was in a shoulder holster?

/john

That's classified info, sorry. grin
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’m glad that others are on the same page. 👍🏼

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Another great thread ! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
This xTen !

Originally Posted by wabigoon
I salute Mister Daniel, and all that served.
© 24hourcampfire