Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
There’s a documentary on Prime (Freevee?) called, “The Personal Experience-Helicopter Warfare in Vietnam”. It starts with training and continues on through the war with the personal experiences of guys like you. From LOACH to Slicks to Cobras and Chinooks this is a GREAT documentary (from my neophyte perspective) but I couldn’t help but think of you as well as my FIL and several other brave men that flew those aircraft. 👍🏼

As usual I wish you all the best my friend. God bless you all that did a very dangerous job, whatever that entailed!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DigitalDan thread from back when. Hope you don't mind I post this DD.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...r/6585900/A_roll_of_the_dice#Post6585900

GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I flew with an old 'Nam pilot for years that had crashed 8 times in his career and everyone thought I was nuts. I figured if he walked away from 8 he knew how to flop them down when the turbine quit whining.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You fellas are makin’ me blush!

Almost. 😜

I’ve seen a few shows of that sort and it’s flashback city. I even remember what napalm smells like in the morning.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I agree...........

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
DD is the only man I've ever known or even ever heard of that survived two tours in a Loach.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I am half expecting to catch a glimpse of him in one of the pictures he’s posted here but I’m sure that if he didn’t know anyone on the documentary he’d likely recognize 1 or 2. I think it’s quite well done and down to earth firsthand, no bullshit view of chopper pilots flying different choppers. Great pictures and great stories from MEN that were boys and how their experience changed their lives forever.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Good interview with a Loach pilot. He seems fairly casual about the whole thing considering he got shot down four times during his 1 year stint in Vietnam. He discusses them starting at the 42:00 mark.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
DD's a treasure.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks for the heads up Ace’s it’s very interesting.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Complete sidebar Dan may enjoy.

I used to work with a guy named Robbie. This was right after Vietnam. I was just a young sprout just trying to get by in a bad economy. Robbie looked like that guy on Reacher, only not as tall. He was a Vietnam Vet, fresh back from SEA. This was hard ass construction work we were doing for not a lot of money.

One day I said to Robbie, "Why don't you use your military experience to get a better job?".

He says to me, "Greg, There's not much demand for a helicopter door gunner".

I laughed my ass off, but I think he was probably right.
Helluva good guy.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I salute Mister Daniel, and all that served.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When I read Dan's stuff, it shriveled my nut sack. If all goes as planned, I'm going to meet him in a few months. It'll be an honor.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dan is the man!
He has lead an interesting life. I, for one , wish he would publish a book of his experiences.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My hat's off to you DD. Utmost respect and thanks for your service.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
A fraternity brother of mine went through helo training as a Warrant and in his tour in Vietnam he flew Loaches and Slicks. Some good tales. Down and dirty in all the small arms envelopes. Lots of “Golden BBs” flying around looking for a transmission or engine to destroy…

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks to all you fellas, dunno if I'm worthy of such praise.

One of the more curious adventures over there began early AM, 1 Oct '69. Started raining, and then it got quite cool. Cold enough actually that we put on our flight jackets and closed the hootch windows. Just to illustrate the unusual nature of the event, whilst visiting the outhouse one morning there appeared a bamboo viper next to my throne. Anyone not familiar with SE Asia snakes should know they look very much like a green snake, but have a red tail tip. And fangs. Little bastards can kill you right there. AND, they can warm the day up quite a bit. You may notice my jacket is unzipped?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
to this day the sound of a Huey is heavens music and the sight of the pilot is close to seeing God.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Thanks to all you fellas, dunno if I'm worthy of such praise.

One of the more curious adventures over there began early AM, 1 Oct '69. Started raining, and then it got quite cool. Cold enough actually that we put on our flight jackets and closed the hootch windows. Just to illustrate the unusual nature of the event, whilst visiting the outhouse one morning there appeared a bamboo viper next to my throne. Anyone not familiar with SE Asia snakes should know they look very much like a green snake, but have a red tail tip. And fangs. Little bastards can kill you right there. AND, they can warm the day up quite a bit. You may notice my jacket is unzipped?

Would that be because your handgun (a 38 revolver I think was standard issue) was in a shoulder holster?

/john

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DD is a true campfire treasure. My father in law was also a chopper pilot in Nam, but won't talk much about it. True heroes I think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,571 guests, and 1,388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,163
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.