Home
Posted By: wabigoon Nebraska? - 01/23/24
The 'Cornhusker State,"
Our Shelite dog Lillyanne was from Ainsworth. We picked her up in Johhny Carson's hometown, Norfolk.
Any from Nebraska?
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Nebraska? - 01/23/24
We get to Ainsworth 3-5 times a year. Have a family member living in Norfolk. Get there 2 or three times a month.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Nebraska? - 01/23/24
Do they play any football?
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Nebraska? - 01/23/24
I have not
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Nebraska? - 01/23/24
No
Posted By: JeffA Re: Nebraska? - 01/23/24
Johnny Carson has been dead for damn near 20 years.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Nebraska? - 01/23/24
Norfolk is in Virginia wabi
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Nebraska? - 01/23/24
They don't have internet in Nebraska yet.
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by wabigoon

They did when Tom Osborne was coach
Posted By: kennyd Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Yes they do. I know a family who moved to Sidney. More choices and better service than the locked in monopolies in Colorado
Posted By: NEBHUNTER Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
I put up with the weather in Nebraska because I hate Crowds. Hunting and Fishing is pretty good too.
Posted By: Knarley_Bob Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Ponca State Park anyone? Spent a lot of time there as a kid......
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Put me on the list.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
JFC, please stop.
Posted By: sandhiller78 Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Yep. Ancestors first arrived in the late 1800’s.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24

This is going to blow your mind but yes, they play football in Nebraska. Care to guess the name of the team? CORNHUSKERS!

Boom, mind blown.

LOL
Posted By: Dess Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Father in law from Norfolk. Locals pronounce in "Norfork". Yeah...I don't know why. Wife's aunt was trying to set up her voice activated GPS and it kept responding that it didn't recognize Norfork.

Spent more time than I wanted there.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by NEBHUNTER
I put up with the weather in Nebraska because I hate Crowds. Hunting and Fishing is pretty good too.
Fishing ?? You mean there are fish in the Platte. I thought it was too shallow.

kwg
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Yes, I was born in Fullerton, later moved to Grand Island where I graduated fro High School. Was friends with Joyce Hornady. Met Jack O’Conner and Vernon Speer. Was drafted from Hall county, but went into the USAF instead. Regularly hunt on a cousins Ranch near Burrell.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
The 'Cornhusker State,"
Our Shelite dog Lillyanne was from Ainsworth. We picked her up in Johhny Carson's hometown, Norfolk.
Any from Nebraska?
One state at a time?

Sheesh.

Which one is next?
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Indiana is really interesting , < Wabigoon.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Marie Osmond is NOT from Nebraska. True story.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Indiana is really interesting , < Wabigoon.

Oh please, please, please let Indiana bee next..

David Letterman is from Indiana..

Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Does the next one have to be a state?

Can we do Guam next?
Posted By: goalie Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
The 'Cornhusker State,"
Any from Nebraska?

No, but there a fun run and gun event there I go to.

Was wet last year.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: ToddNE Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Yes born and raised on the edge of the middle of nowhere where there are more cows than people and thats where I plan to stay
Posted By: ToddNE Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Yes, I was born in Fullerton, later moved to Grand Island where I graduated fro High School. Was friends with Joyce Hornady. Met Jack O’Conner and Vernon Speer. Was drafted from Hall county, but went into the USAF instead. Regularly hunt on a cousins Ranch near Burrell.

Where is Burrell I've never heard of that? you didn't by chance mean Burwell cause thats where I live
Posted By: Westman Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Lived in Nebraska for 11 years. I call it my time of doing penance.....
Posted By: goalie Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by Westman

Um, you're in Illinois......
Posted By: Westman Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by Westman

Um, you're in Illinois......

Yup, going the wrong way, no?

LOL
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by NEBHUNTER
Fishing ?? You mean there are fish in the Platte. I thought it was too shallow.

kwg

Depends on which Platte river, North or South and at which point in the state. 😀
Posted By: Otter Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Lived there for 50 years. Born in Fremont, grew up in Hooper. Still have part of a farm near there. Went to HS in South Sioux City and college in Lincoln. LOTS of relatives and friends spread out all over the state still.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
JFC, please stop.
He had a Nebraska thread about a month ago. Same shît

But Rubes lap it up

Wonder how many replied in that thread are in this one again, Forgetful Jones types.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
It's the bestest thing about hanging out with these geriatric groups, alzheimer's is real and everydays a new day.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by kennyd
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Yes they do. I know a family who moved to Sidney. More choices and better service than the locked in monopolies in Colorado

Pard, no they don't that family is lying to you.

You would have to have starlink for internet and nobody wants that because the electricity from your computer has to go up into space.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Prevagen, it keeps the fire ticking!
Posted By: Scotty Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by Knarley_Bob
Ponca State Park anyone? Spent a lot of time there as a kid......

I had been to Ponca State Park a couple of times when I lived in Sioux City, IA.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by ToddNE

Where is Burrell I've never heard of that? you didn't by chance mean Burwell cause thats where I live
My daughter and I spent the night in Burwell at the Pump and Pantry store and motel. There is a pretty notable lake nearby. When we left headed toward Custer Park SD we went up the left side of the lake and then on to Valentine.

I've travelled through Nebraska several times over the last 14 years and was at first surprised at all the roadside water holes with nesting ducks.

In 2022 the ranchers at the only gas station store in Hyannis told me they already have wolves moving in.
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by ToddNE

My daughter and I spent the night in Burwell at the Pump and Pantry store and motel. There is a pretty notable lake nearby. When we left headed toward Custer Park SD we went up the left side of the lake and then on to Valentine.

I've travelled through Nebraska several times over the last 14 years and was at first surprised at all the roadside water holes with nesting ducks.

In 2022 the ranchers at the only gas station store in Hyannis told me they already have wolves moving in.

Calamus SRA 10,000 acres of land with a 5200 acre lake.
Posted By: martentrapper Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Born and raised in Omaha. Dad's side been in Omaha area since mid 1800s. Left in 1978. Alaska since. Attended 40th high-school reunion in 2015. Most of my classmates were libs. Probably won't attend the 50th next year.
Posted By: Cecil56 Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by Otter
Lived there for 50 years. Born in Fremont, grew up in Hooper. Still have part of a farm near there. Went to HS in South Sioux City and college in Lincoln. LOTS of relatives and friends spread out all over the state still.
We used to drive to Hooper, when the drag strip was still open. Drink beer and watch the races.
Posted By: mbrook Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Two weekends ago I was in Omaha visiting relatives serving at Offutt AFB...it was -20 degree, actual temperature, and -40 degree wind chill!!
Originally Posted by Cecil56
Originally Posted by Otter
We used to drive to Hooper, when the drag strip was still open. Drink beer and watch the races.

Hooper dragway opened up after the shutdown the Omaha Raceway which was down the road from the Sapp Brothers coffee pot just off I-80 in the 60’s early 70’s.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Ever find a prize in ur serial box
Posted By: Raeford Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by earlybrd

Me an my bros used fight like dogs over those.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24

There's enough states that he'll milk this inanity until next Thanksgiving.....
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

There's enough states that he'll milk this inanity until next Thanksgiving.....
There is lot's of insane folks out there. Wabi can do this every month for years. It's sure fun reading some of the replies. I think Indiana would be a good choice for next month. Or maybe Idaho or Ohio. Don't they grow potatoes in Ohio ??

kwg
Jamse has wurms
Posted By: hardway Re: Nebraska? - 01/24/24
Tjey have a country fair? I’m told 😝

Gilbert likes tge caughton candies and dairie princess! Just that.
Jamse grose coughee beens
Posted By: JeffA Re: Nebraska? - 01/25/24
Originally Posted by Raeford

Monster Mitts were found in Honey-Comb cereal in 1974. They were cheap plastic gloves with ghoulish designs. One looked like skin was unzipping to expose bones. Another had blue veins and an eyeball. Another was scaly like a sea monster and, in fact, showed Loch Ness style sea monster. The fourth one had red veins with a spider crawling up them.
[Linked Image from mrbreakfast.com]

Surfers Ahoy!" Around 1983, Crunch Berries and other varieties of Cap'n Crunch offered snap-together Cap'n Crunch Surfers. There were 3 possible Surfers in the shapes of Cap'n Crunch, his pirate foe Jean La Foote or his friend Smedley the elephant.

Wheat Honeys and Rice Honeys were popular cereals from Nabisco in the late 50s and early 60s. Our favorite prize from those cereals was a spring-propelled Two-Stage Rocket. "Free High-Flying Two Stage Rocket. Count down... press the launcher... and off it zooms, separating mid-air! Comes in red or blue. 

In 1987, boxes of Count Chocula and Franken Berry contained one of three sets of Monster Disguise Stickers. You could use them to have scary eyebrows, bloody fangs, facial scars, a bolt in your neck or even another eye in the middle of your forehead.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Nebraska? - 01/25/24
Originally Posted by JeffA

Monster Mitts were found in Honey-Comb cereal in 1974. They were cheap plastic gloves with ghoulish designs. One looked like skin was unzipping to expose bones. Another had blue veins and an eyeball. Another was scaly like a sea monster and, in fact, showed Loch Ness style sea monster. The fourth one had red veins with a spider crawling up them.

Surfers Ahoy!" Around 1983, Crunch Berries and other varieties of Cap'n Crunch offered snap-together Cap'n Crunch Surfers. There were 3 possible Surfers in the shapes of Cap'n Crunch, his pirate foe Jean La Foote or his friend Smedley the elephant.

Wheat Honeys and Rice Honeys were popular cereals from Nabisco in the late 50s and early 60s. Our favorite prize from those cereals was a spring-propelled Two-Stage Rocket. "Free High-Flying Two Stage Rocket. Count down... press the launcher... and off it zooms, separating mid-air! Comes in red or blue. 

In 1987, boxes of Count Chocula and Franken Berry contained one of three sets of Monster Disguise Stickers. You could use them to have scary eyebrows, bloody fangs, facial scars, a bolt in your neck or even another eye in the middle of your forehead.

Buncha damn lucky rich kids!

We had a huge plastic bag of some sort of "puffed rice".

No prizes in it, 'cept the occasional rat turd in the bottom of the bag.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Nebraska? - 01/25/24
Originally Posted by JeffA

I never had cugnt choklee
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Buncha damn lucky rich kids!

We had a huge plastic bag of some sort of "puffed rice".

No prizes in it, 'cept the occasional rat turd in the bottom of the bag.

If ya had only stepped it up to Puffed Wheat Cereal.

Rice Krispies was sorta like Puffed Rice and they gave away an actual working "Atomic Sub"

In the early 60s, several varieties of Kellogg's cereals offered small plastic submarines that were called either atom subs or atomic subs, depending on the cereal box.
As opposed to Uranium or Plutonium, these subs were fueled by baking powder which caused the subs to crash dive into the water and resurface. "Collect a fleet of these great little subs and race them. Oceans of fun! (in the bathtub or washbasin)"
As decades passed, other cereals offered similar products like the Cap'n Crunch Super Sub offered in the 70s.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Nebraska? - 01/25/24
Cool
WAIT, I FOUND ONE!

In 1955, Quaker Cereals including Puffed Rice and Puffed Wheat offered a "real deed of ownership to 1 square inch of land in Yukon Gold Rush Country!" The prize was part of cross promotion with the radio show Sergeant Preston of the Yukon. "Just sign your name to deed... and become owner of property in famous Gold Rush country!" 

Deed To 1-Inch Of Land In The Yukon
My 'atomic sub' always made my cereal taste funny.
© 24hourcampfire