Home
Posted By: wabigoon Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
I'm told my prostate biopsy was a 2. 0n a scale of 1 to 5. Ware going to consule with the doctor.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
That’s very good news, more than likely watching for any changes in the future. 60% of us over 60 have prostate cancer of some grade.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
I wondered why my old family Doc always spent at least 15 minutes talking about prostate cancer and the state of my "waterworks." Then, on my last visit to him before he retired, he told me he had it. He's 10 years younger than I am.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
Originally Posted by JB in SC
That’s very good news, more than likely watching for any changes in the future. 60% of us over 60 have prostate cancer of some grade.

This was a biopsy, not a PSA test.

Wabi, what did the doc say will happen next?

Saw my urologist on Monday. My PSA is 3.9, but the medication I'm on cuts it in half, so it's really an 8. He's scheduling me for an MRI to see if he wants to do a biopsy.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
Prayer sent for a complete and happy recovery.
You're always there for us when fellow members need a helping hand from Above.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
Doctor Dan Olson, is going to discuss it with us tuesday.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
s0rey abowt the low skore
Posted By: Riverc Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
Not good but could be worse. My old friend I haven't seen in a long time has prostate cancer now hear he had his last treatment a few weeks ago. Hope all goes good for ya.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
No more red meat?

Just asking
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Saw my urologist on Monday. My PSA is 3.9, but the medication I'm on cuts it in half, so it's really an 8. He's scheduling me for an MRI to see if he wants to do a biopsy.

I wish mine was an 8, my PSA is 26.21. My prostate volume is 170cc which is very large so that runs up the PSA numbers. The MRI I had last week didn't detect anything that resembles cancer but my doc still wants to do the biopsy because the numbers are over 20.
Posted By: WildWest Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
Don't have a biopsy. Have a Pet scan. I went through all of it and the best was the PET scan. I had a biopsy that said I had 2 mor place of cancer than showed up on all of my MRI's. Had the PET scan and it only showed the one that had always been there. Mine is 3 Gleason score ,which means watch it. I had 2 Docs that wanted me to get 28 days of radiation. Total BS. Im keeping and eye on it with PSA tests every so often. Anything can raise your PSA level. Having sex. Physical activity. Look it up and treatment.
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
Sorry to hear that, but it could have been much worse! Get your self a GOOD doc. Mayo is just a quick trip up I-35 for you, take it and don’t mess around with the local hacks.
Posted By: Savage_Hunter Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
having sex will run up your psa.
I had a urology appt one time.
My wife woke up before me and I evidently had an erection.
We were having sex before I was awake enough to remember my appt.
Oh well, my doc said my psa had jumped since the last few times it was checked.
Then it hit me. Sex temporarily increases PSA.
When I told him, he smiled and said "we'll check it again next visit."
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
Yeah, supposed to wait 2 days after sex to have a PSA.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
Some light reading wabi. Perhaps prostate biopsy score 2that’ll hep ya understand what’s going on.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/diagn...pathology/prostate-cancer-pathology.html
Posted By: Jim1611 Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
Yeah, supposed to wait 2 days after sex to have a PSA.
Don't go into tremors waiting those 2 days out! I've got a good friend that at 78 years old he was diagnosed with prostrate cancer and the doctor talked him into going the route of chemo and radiation. Now he's 80 and wishes he'd have never done it. He's been sick since and left with very little energy and to make it all worse his psa numbers are climbing back up. He's told me several times he regrets those treatments. I wish you the best.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
PSA:

"What is the difference in prostate and prostrate?

Prostate is a gland found in male mammals, but prostrate, with an r, means to lie face down. Get them mixed up and you'll thoroughly confuse your doctor. Men might have prostate cancer, which has nothing to do with what they ate, but remember the r in prostrate stands for relax or lie down."
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
Originally Posted by JB in SC

This was a biopsy, not a PSA test.

Wabi, what did the doc say will happen next?

A biopsy with a Gleason of 2 (if that’s what’s being reported) is very good news. There is a new system of classifying from 1 to 5 rather than using the Gleason totals (3+4 = 7 ie). The new system grades what would usually be 3+4 =7 total as a Grade 2.

I didn’t post anything referring to a PSA.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Doctor Dan Olson, is going to discuss it with us tuesday.

If you do have a biopsy, ask your doctor about having the tissue samples sent to a lab for genotyping. That will give an indication of how likely it is that your cancer will metastasize and spread. Most prostate cancers are very slow growing.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
Never heard of a 1-5 Gleason scale. I was a 7 on a 1-10 scale. 5 and below and they usually just monitor it and only do something if it gets worse. Gleason predicts how aggressive the cancer is spreading. 8-10 is very aggressive and needs treatment ASAP. 6 or 7 is moderate. I didn't mess with it and chose to have my prostate removed.

The AMOUNT of cancer in my prostate was minimal because it was caught early. And it was only moderately aggressive, BUT where the cancer was located in my prostate was potentially a problem. The tiny amount of cancerous cells were growing right up to the outside edge of my prostate and had it not been removed when it was it would have spread to other organs and been harder to treat.

Lots of factors to consider and there is no one answer that is perfect for everyone. PEP scans, PSA tests and Biopsies give more information to make those choices. But age, health and other factors come into play.
Posted By: Scott Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
Funny this came up as I just had a follow up. For reference, I'm 55.
Feb 23 - PSA was 4.1
Oct 23 - PSA was 4.4
Dec 23 - biopsy - results Gleason 6 for 7 of 12 samples. Meaning very low grade cancer (some docs don't consider it cancer) but higher volume. Doc was all about surgery but wanted to do testing.
Sent samples out for genetic testing - results indicate very low (0.25%) chance of metastatic cancer if treated. From this and per doc. I can either do radiation, operation, or watch-n-see. I'm doing watch-n-see, retest PSA in 6 months.
I'm still going to explore treatment options but don't need to do anything quickly. Doc is a cutter so that's what he wants to do. I don't like the side effects - incontinence and ED. Radiation seems better with lesser side effects but I went thru a lot of rad/chemo 10 yrs ago so that may not be an option.

Anyway, all that to say there's typically time to digest what's going on and get 2nd, 3rd, etc opinions especially with low scores.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
Mine decreased the last 12 months from 4.0 to 3.4. Hurray!
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
wabi..... PROSTATE or PROSTRATE?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
Rusty, everybody knew what I meant.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/25/24
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
having sex will run up your psa.
I had a urology appt one time.
My wife woke up before me and I evidently had an erection.
We were having sex before I was awake enough to remember my appt.
Oh well, my doc said my psa had jumped since the last few times it was checked.
Then it hit me. Sex temporarily increases PSA.
When I told him, he smiled and said "we'll check it again next visit."
Good to know👍👍
Posted By: Traveler52 Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/26/24
Two of my younger brother's (I have 6).
Had b the cancer. Both told their doctor to just take it out. 2 years ago doing fine.
My last PSA went down. From 1.5 to 1.3.
I'm almost 72
Posted By: deltakid Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/26/24
Interestingly, one of my providers told me that every man dies with prostate cancer, it was just a matter of the degree of cancer. Sure was a good way to get my attention. Nobody has ecer said that again. Good luck Wabi, I'll keep you in my prayers.
Posted By: Tesoro Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/26/24
I have had 2 close friends die of prostate in 70's both had unlimited $$ to do all the fancy treatments. maybe bought them a few more years but at a price of feeling like [bleep]. Both didnt start treatments until psa was high.
another friend who is 60 got it a few years back at a high level but contained. he had the docs wack his nuts off and remove prostate as that cancer needs testosterone to grow. he is still fine. wife is ugly anyhow.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Prostrate Cancer. - 01/26/24
Originally Posted by slumlord
No more red meat?

Just asking

Pink meat reduces the risk.
© 24hourcampfire