Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm told my prostate biopsy was a 2. 0n a scale of 1 to 5. Ware going to consule with the doctor.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That’s very good news, more than likely watching for any changes in the future. 60% of us over 60 have prostate cancer of some grade.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wondered why my old family Doc always spent at least 15 minutes talking about prostate cancer and the state of my "waterworks." Then, on my last visit to him before he retired, he told me he had it. He's 10 years younger than I am.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JB in SC
That’s very good news, more than likely watching for any changes in the future. 60% of us over 60 have prostate cancer of some grade.

This was a biopsy, not a PSA test.

Wabi, what did the doc say will happen next?

Saw my urologist on Monday. My PSA is 3.9, but the medication I'm on cuts it in half, so it's really an 8. He's scheduling me for an MRI to see if he wants to do a biopsy.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Prayer sent for a complete and happy recovery.
You're always there for us when fellow members need a helping hand from Above.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Doctor Dan Olson, is going to discuss it with us tuesday.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
s0rey abowt the low skore

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not good but could be worse. My old friend I haven't seen in a long time has prostate cancer now hear he had his last treatment a few weeks ago. Hope all goes good for ya.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
No more red meat?

Just asking

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Saw my urologist on Monday. My PSA is 3.9, but the medication I'm on cuts it in half, so it's really an 8. He's scheduling me for an MRI to see if he wants to do a biopsy.

I wish mine was an 8, my PSA is 26.21. My prostate volume is 170cc which is very large so that runs up the PSA numbers. The MRI I had last week didn't detect anything that resembles cancer but my doc still wants to do the biopsy because the numbers are over 20.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Don't have a biopsy. Have a Pet scan. I went through all of it and the best was the PET scan. I had a biopsy that said I had 2 mor place of cancer than showed up on all of my MRI's. Had the PET scan and it only showed the one that had always been there. Mine is 3 Gleason score ,which means watch it. I had 2 Docs that wanted me to get 28 days of radiation. Total BS. Im keeping and eye on it with PSA tests every so often. Anything can raise your PSA level. Having sex. Physical activity. Look it up and treatment.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sorry to hear that, but it could have been much worse! Get your self a GOOD doc. Mayo is just a quick trip up I-35 for you, take it and don’t mess around with the local hacks.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
having sex will run up your psa.
I had a urology appt one time.
My wife woke up before me and I evidently had an erection.
We were having sex before I was awake enough to remember my appt.
Oh well, my doc said my psa had jumped since the last few times it was checked.
Then it hit me. Sex temporarily increases PSA.
When I told him, he smiled and said "we'll check it again next visit."

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Yeah, supposed to wait 2 days after sex to have a PSA.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Some light reading wabi. Perhaps prostate biopsy score 2that’ll hep ya understand what’s going on.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/diagn...pathology/prostate-cancer-pathology.html

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yeah, supposed to wait 2 days after sex to have a PSA.
Don't go into tremors waiting those 2 days out! I've got a good friend that at 78 years old he was diagnosed with prostrate cancer and the doctor talked him into going the route of chemo and radiation. Now he's 80 and wishes he'd have never done it. He's been sick since and left with very little energy and to make it all worse his psa numbers are climbing back up. He's told me several times he regrets those treatments. I wish you the best.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
PSA:

"What is the difference in prostate and prostrate?

Prostate is a gland found in male mammals, but prostrate, with an r, means to lie face down. Get them mixed up and you'll thoroughly confuse your doctor. Men might have prostate cancer, which has nothing to do with what they ate, but remember the r in prostrate stands for relax or lie down."

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JB in SC

This was a biopsy, not a PSA test.

Wabi, what did the doc say will happen next?

A biopsy with a Gleason of 2 (if that’s what’s being reported) is very good news. There is a new system of classifying from 1 to 5 rather than using the Gleason totals (3+4 = 7 ie). The new system grades what would usually be 3+4 =7 total as a Grade 2.

I didn’t post anything referring to a PSA.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Doctor Dan Olson, is going to discuss it with us tuesday.

If you do have a biopsy, ask your doctor about having the tissue samples sent to a lab for genotyping. That will give an indication of how likely it is that your cancer will metastasize and spread. Most prostate cancers are very slow growing.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Never heard of a 1-5 Gleason scale. I was a 7 on a 1-10 scale. 5 and below and they usually just monitor it and only do something if it gets worse. Gleason predicts how aggressive the cancer is spreading. 8-10 is very aggressive and needs treatment ASAP. 6 or 7 is moderate. I didn't mess with it and chose to have my prostate removed.

The AMOUNT of cancer in my prostate was minimal because it was caught early. And it was only moderately aggressive, BUT where the cancer was located in my prostate was potentially a problem. The tiny amount of cancerous cells were growing right up to the outside edge of my prostate and had it not been removed when it was it would have spread to other organs and been harder to treat.

Lots of factors to consider and there is no one answer that is perfect for everyone. PEP scans, PSA tests and Biopsies give more information to make those choices. But age, health and other factors come into play.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 21, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,483,005
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.