Home
Posted By: Morewood Cast Iron Skillet - 03/06/24
How do you re-season your cast iron after intensive rehab?

Kent Rollins once said flax seed oil. Now he's backed off and advocates avocado oil.

Black fella on youboob rubs Crisco all over, top and bottom.

Thanks good folks.
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/06/24
Avocado oil is what I typically cook with when I need to use oil, so yeah. That.
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/06/24
Lard. Have used vegetable oil, either will work, but prefer lard.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/06/24
I like avocado oil for sure. Clean it up, oil it (not too thick!), and oven-bake for 1 hour at 450º. I also use Avocado oil for cooking, except like eggs and such, where the temp doesn't get hot enough to smoke EVOO.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/06/24
Grapeseed or avocado oil.
Posted By: 1beaver_shooter Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/06/24
Cook bacon in it and leave the grease over night warm it up in the morning, wipe out the grease and cook more bacon,then 3 eggs over easy,put em on the grits ,biscuits and jelly and you got breakfast
Posted By: add Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/06/24
Originally Posted by Morewood

On his missus?
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/06/24
Originally Posted by sawbuck
Grapeseed or avocado oil.

This. Both have high smoke points. Anything fat will work, but you can run the heat up with these two.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/06/24
Use it a lot
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/06/24
I’ve got a bottle of flax seed oil for this now. In the past just used crisco or vegetable oil. They all work fine.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/06/24
I’ve used Crisco and canola, both work well.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/06/24
Been Using Grapeseed Oil, works well. It has a smoke point of 420F
Posted By: tripod3 Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/06/24
I use grapeseed oil and make sure to get the high heat label.
Posted By: jimone Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Cook 2 strips bacon. Remove.
While bacon cooks beat 3 eggs add 1/2 c water 3 tablespoons bisquick.
Pour mixture in hot pan add grated cheese and crumble in bacon.
Bake in fast oven for 15 min or until done.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Whatever oil you cook with
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Been using an old Griswold cast iron skillet for ten or fifteen years now. It's what I make my breakfast with every day, and sometimes for pan roasting in the oven or searing a steak.

Once you have the primary season on it, maintaining it is simple. First of all, don't expose it to soap. Not even a little.

When you are done cooking, let it cool down to room temperature, then into the sink and pour hot water into it. Use a dish brush to brush off any bits that are sticking to the cooking surface. Pour out the hot water and rinse with cold water. Now wipe dry with a paper towel.

If you feel a slight slickness or oiliness on the cooking surface (you likely will), you are good for the next step. If not, apply a light coat of bacon grease to the cooking surface with a dry paper towel. Now put it on the stove top on high till it starts to smoke (one or two minutes, usually). As soon as it starts to smoke, turn off the heat source (It will continue to smoke a bit) and leave it there to cool down to room temperature. It's now ready to use again.

That smoking part is what adds the replacement layer of season (polymerized oil/fat) to the cooking surface, some of which you might have lost from using it last.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
6.5 Avocreedo is the new flavor.

I use ol' trusty Canolester 308 or 30-06 Crisfield.
Posted By: funshooter Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Lard or Bacon Grease is how I do ours.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Lard is on my shopping list for the first time ever.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Not sure why everyone wants to use such a high smoke point oil when the "seasoning" is carbon left over from the oil burning off.

I use oil with a lower smoke point than the extreme high temps.

Every time i use a skillet or a flat top...I am seasoning it.
Posted By: oldcuss Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Crisco 4-5 hours at 200F-- then turn up the heat and fry your doughnuts in it.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24

Look up heart disease rates by ethnicity.

Goyslop being involved in your food is bad news no matter the method.
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Not sure why everyone wants to use such a high smoke point oil when the "seasoning" is carbon left over from the oil burning off.

Yep, 300-350 in a lightly greased pan will season a pan just fine. After that I just cook with them, scrape them out, wipe with a dry paper towel. Rarely have to re-season, and when I do it's more a matter of what I've cooked in it than how many times I've used it since seasoning.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
There might be better things now, the various seed oils, but folks been curing with rendered fat or regular animal grease of some sort for decades with satisfactory results long before any seed extracts were around I suspect.

Lard. Case closed.
Posted By: steveus Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Friend of mine divorced his wife because she put his favorite cast iron pot in the dishwasher despite many warnings! True story.
Posted By: Roddy1993 Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
It takes a full year to actually get a non stick cast iron. with heavy use. other wise, you will need to cook with more oil than preferred by most to keep the food "floating." seasoning and believing it can be done over night is a boomer bullshit. YMMV
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
How do you re-season your cast iron after intensive rehab?

Kent Rollins once said flax seed oil. Now he's backed off and advocates avocado oil.

Thanks good folks.
Bacon grease. I have a cast iron skillet I found at the farm. I have cleaned it and have so far used bacon grease on it. It's a bit rough so it will take some time. Using a stainless steel spatula flipping food in my opinion helps to take out the rough cooking surface. It will take some time but in short order it will be a great egg cooking skillet.

kwg
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24

Use it all the time. Have for many, many years. Wife and I both eat eggs every morning, always cooked in a pan greased with lard. I'm 53, blood pressure is always around 120 over 80. Real fats like lard, real butter, etc are good in your diet if not in excess.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by gunzo
There might be better things now, the various seed oils, but folks been curing with rendered fat or regular animal grease of some sort for decades with satisfactory results long before any seed extracts were around I suspect.

Lard. Case closed.
Since Egyptians were using flaxseed oil when preparing mummies I suggest your suspicion is off by a several millenia...
Posted By: Deans Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
I restored a Griswold skillet recently and used avocado oil to season it.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Talking about Cast Iron Pan Maintenance, do any of you guys own one of these?

I bought it from Amazon a month ago, they are FANTASTIC!!! I highly reccomend them cool

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by KillerBee

I bought it from Amazon a month ago, they are FANTASTIC!!! I highly reccomend them cool

Most all our cast iron is enameled but my wife uses one of those on pretty much all our pans.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Regular tub of Crisco , very light coat on a warm skillet it spreads easier. Turn it upside down In a 450-475 degree oven for an hour. When the hour is up cut the oven off and let it cool. Used to restore and sell cast iron as a hobby
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Anteloper Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24

No, but my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great Grandfather used a shirt like that when in battle.
Originally Posted by Stickfight

Most all our cast iron is enameled but my wife uses one of those on pretty much all our pans.

You married well Stickfight!
Originally Posted by Anteloper

No, but my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great Grandfather used a shirt like that when in battle.

I'll bet it worked great hehehe
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

Use it all the time. Have for many, many years. Wife and I both eat eggs every morning, always cooked in a pan greased with lard. I'm 53, blood pressure is always around 120 over 80. Real fats like lard, real butter, etc are good in your diet if not in excess.
Absolutely. Many times healthier than vegetable oils. Until fairly recently in history, no one cooked with vegetable oil. In fact, other than olive oil, it wasn't even a thing.

Grain producers needed a way to get rid of their vegetable oils, which were a byproduct of processing vegetables and grains for consumption, so they hired "scientists" to perform studies blaming heart attacks on the use of animal fats in cooking and for spreading on toast, then offered to the public various "healthy" alternative to it. The medical establishment bought into this BS completely, and sales of lard, tallow, and butter plummeted. Folks switched over in mass to vegetable oils for cooking, and replaced butter with margarine.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Lard. Case closed.
Since Egyptians were using flaxseed oil when preparing mummies I suggest your suspicion is off by a several millenia...

Ouch, bit by early history, thanks for learning me something. But, I did say decades, not millenia. LOL Just joking around. Though my grandmother & probably great & great great didn't likely know or have access to seed oils,,, they got by, well. Some beautiful, extremely useable cast skillets seen all over before the post war aluminum & teflon craze.

What is it??
It makes the best beans.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

What is it??

No detergent necessary.

Cast Iron Cleaner with Durable Plastic Pan Grill Scrapers, SENHAI 7 x7 inch Stainless Steel Chainmail Scrubber for Skillets, Griddles, Pans or Woks and More
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Regular tub of Crisco , very light coat on a warm skillet it spreads easier. Turn it upside down In a 450-475 degree oven for an hour. When the hour is up cut the oven off and let it cool. Used to restore and sell cast iron as a hobby
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Wow, beautiful cast iron, Troutnut.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24

Wow, beautiful cast iron, Troutnut.
Thank you
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
. Lard works perfectly. Y’all think your great grandma had avocado oil? 🙄
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
. Lard works perfectly. Y’all think your great grandma had avocado oil? 🙄

Nope. She also didn't have a rifle that could reliably kill game at 600 yds. Stuff gets better.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Coconut Oil, Lard/Bacon Grease.

Avocado Oil is expensive, Grapeseed Oil is too sticky, Crisco aint good for you.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
I just use a wire wheel on my 6" grinder after every meal
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Unless you sand blasted it it should be no problem.

Use what you have handy,olive,Crisco,lard or bacon.

Just remember to do it several times to really get it right.
Originally Posted by steveus
Friend of mine divorced his wife because she put his favorite cast iron pot in the dishwasher despite many warnings! True story.
Dang. That's hardcore. I weep for the children.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24

Dammit, Jim!

This here is rocket sugary!!

Sheesh.
Posted By: NEBHUNTER Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
I use the Blackstone seasoning

Lard. Case closed.

Ouch, bit by early history, thanks for learning me something. But, I did say decades, not millenia. LOL Just joking around. Though my grandmother & probably great & great great didn't likely know or have access to seed oils,,, they got by, well. Some beautiful, extremely useable cast skillets seen all over before the post war aluminum & teflon craze.
What?!?! You are not offended? wink

I cook more on cast iron than anything else and have run into some amazing stuff over the years. Like most things, the more adamant the proponent the less
I accept.
Originally Posted by Roddy1993
It takes a full year to actually get a non stick cast iron. with heavy use. other wise, you will need to cook with more oil than preferred by most to keep the food "floating." seasoning and believing it can be done over night is a boomer bullshit. YMMV
MMDV...
Originally Posted by Roddy1993
MMDV...
LOL
Posted By: las Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
butter works too.
Posted By: Direct_Drive Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
I think any cooking type oil works.
I have seen where the purists/collectors use flax seed oil.
We clean with salt, cooking oil and paper towel.
No soap and water.

And then be smart about what you cook in your cast iron.
Don't be like the ol' man and make spaghetti sauce or casserole in your cast iron if you want to keep your seasoning intact.
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
https://www.ucdavis.edu/food/news/study-finds-82-percent-avocado-oil-rancid-or-mixed-other-oils
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
That lard sitting on the shelf at the grocery store is as bad as the bullxhhit seed oils.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
We use cast iron often. I wash it. Dry it, heat up a little on the stove and squirt enough olive oil in to coat and spread it with a paper towel all over inside. Most of mine is 30 to 40 years old.
My wife has two pans that belonged to her grandmother those are 70 or so and are like slick black glass.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Pam.

Get it hot. Spray liberally. Heat to smoke. Turn off. When cool enough I wipe it out with a paper towel.
Posted By: Simplepeddler Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Other than Okra, we cook most everything in cast iron.

Lot's of good suggestions here. Not gonna argue with folks of what or how to care for cast iron.

I have re-seasoned an 80 year old iron scotch bowl for my son in law now 5 times. Kid is determined to clean the damn pot with salt. Apparently folks from Georgia clean cast iron with salt.

Down here in Louisiana, we clean cast with elbow grease and hot water.

Any ways..............check into some of the newer products like CrissBEE.

It's beeswax and oil base, goes on easy, VERY little goes a long way.

I have cast that literally is in my last will and testament.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Break out the pitchforks and tar and feathers for what I'm about to say.....

Soap will not turn your cast iron into a pile of rust and disappear into oblivion. Soap will not strip off the precious seasoning.

Oil is not "Seasoning".

Oil is used in the creation of the seasoning.

Soap can be used in the cleaning of cast iron. I usually just use hot water and a dish brush, but there are times when soap came in handy.

All followed up with a heated dry, application of an oil, and then a heat to smoke.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Dammit, Jim!

This here is rocket sugary!!

Sheesh.

Haha!

I am sorry.
I keep some corn or peanut oil outside in my cooking cabinet next to my camp chef flattop.

Clean the surface, oil it down. Burn off liquid.
Oil again and burn it off.

Seasoning so tough a cat couldn't scratch it.
Posted By: Simplepeddler Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Soap will not turn your cast iron into a pile of rust and disappear into oblivion. Soap will not strip off the precious seasoning.

Oil is not "Seasoning".

Soap can be used in the cleaning of cast iron. I usually just use hot water and a dish brush, but there are times when soap came in handy.

All followed up with a heated dry, application of an oil, and then a heat to smoke.

A-greed
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
For your perusal:

https://tiredtexanbbq.com/blog/hard-nitriding-cast-iron/

Oil is not "Seasoning".

Same.

Because the dogs do the preclean cycle, our CI is always cleaned w Dawn and scotchbrite sponge.

We can share the incoming fire! laugh
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24

Oil is not "Seasoning".

Same.

Because the dogs do the preclean cycle, our CI is always cleaned w Dawn and scotchbrite sponge.

We can share the incoming fire! laugh

Yep, soap is just fine if the pan is fully seasoned. I use it and a bristled brush for cleaning. Chainmail scrubber if needed. Just don't use lye as it will strip the seasoning.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
this is how the old timers seasoned their cast iron skillets except i used the indoor oven. 1st on the grade shelf you plan on setting the skillet on wrap aluminum foil on that shelf , then with a clean skillet take a paper towel wipe on a decent layer of bacon fat on both sides of the skillet including handle , then put skillet on the aluminum foil shelf upside down ,turn oven to 400 degrees for 3 - 4 hrs. , repeat this process once a day for 4-6 days , 6 days does the best job , only use hot water to clean your skillet ,never ever use soap in a seasoned skillet ! enjoy your season skillet. if you have a old rusty skillet check out the internet for how to refinish your old skillet. Pete53
Posted By: BMT Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/07/24
Generally use olive oil because that is what my wife keeps in the cupboard.
Originally Posted by pete53
this is how the old timers seasoned their cast iron skillets except i used the indoor oven. 1st on the grade shelf you plan on setting the skillet on wrap aluminum foil on that shelf , then with a clean skillet take a paper towel wipe on a decent layer of bacon fat on both sides of the skillet including handle , then put skillet on the aluminum foil shelf upside down ,turn oven to 400 degrees for 3 - 4 hrs. , repeat this process once a day for 4-6 days , 6 days does the best job , only use hot water to clean your skillet ,never ever use soap in a seasoned skillet ! enjoy your season skillet. if you have a old rusty skillet check out the internet for how to refinish your old skillet. Pete53

The old timers I knew just used to cook with them.
Posted By: Simplepeddler Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/08/24
Originally Posted by pete53

The old timers I knew just used to cook with them.
Yep……….if you are only cooking cornbread in your cast iron every two months………maybe you shouldn’t own cast iron. Cooking in them is what makes the magic
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/08/24
This morning's breakfast on my old Griswold cast iron skillet. Perfect bacon and two perfect, over easy, eggs.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/08/24
A perfect over easy egg does not exist.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/08/24
Nope. Don't wash my cast iron. If it's properly seasoned, just let it cool down then wipe it out with paper towels.

Wash cast iron!? You bunch of heathens! 😉
Lard or Crisco.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/08/24
I had them for breakfast, so yes they do.
Posted By: buntingmiester Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
You want a slippery cast iron skillet?
Ghee/rendered pork fat.
Eggs slide out so fast, you better have a good hold on yer plate!
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
Uh that's not over easy. More like over medium.

This morning's breakfast on my old Griswold cast iron skillet. Perfect bacon and two perfect, over easy, eggs.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24

You could have eaten a golden egg for all it matters.

Over easy is over done.
Originally Posted by FatCity67

[Linked Image]

Dead'ern Kelcys nuts is what we in the industry call those eggs.

Might as well have scrambled them.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
This is the 24hourcampfire, I'm a bit dismayed that somebody isn't using bear grease or buffler fat.....
Posted By: ironbender Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24

Over easy is over done.
How do ya figure big Jim?

How are the cows?
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24

[Linked Image]
Short of breaking it open and seeing the yolk ooze out all over the plate, you’d really have no way of knowing that.
Posted By: org_Rogue_Hunter Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
I doubt the old timers would look at you and say, "season...what the hell you talking about"? Grandma's CI got season by being used. All the burnt bits left on the skillet was what seasoned the CI. Bet if I ask granny how she season her CI, she'd had probably said, "I season everything with salt and pepper"? NOW GO OUT SIDE AND GET OUT OF MY WAY".

The lard you buy in tubs at the grocery store has chemical to solidify the lard. I buy my Leaf Lard from Flo and Fanny's. Real lard will be almost liquid at room temp. It keeps in freezer for months.
Your whites are set. Over medium is right. That’s the way I likes em. Non runny yolk is over hard.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
Valsdad posted a beautiful plate of over-easy eggs down in the cooking branch.

[Linked Image]
Short of breaking it open and seeing the yolk ooze out all over the plate, you’d really have no way of knowing that.

I can see that yolk.

Over easy is over done.
How do ya figure big Jim?

How are the cows?

Hahaha!
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
MacDonnell has the best egg biskwiks.
His look more like sunny side to me.

Geeeeno!
😎
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
You egg snobs would cringe at my morning version.

Well done and not that good.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24

Geeeeno!
😎

I don’t know all the fancy foody verbiage. I like them dippy. The edges of the whites all crispy and the yolks runny.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
Fat City , Valsdad, Savage99 all know how to cook eggs over easy.

Crispy edges is a major egg frying faux pas. Too hot and too fast. Patience, grasshopper.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24

[Linked Image]

That’s alright Hawkeye. That’s the way I like mine if I don’t scramble them. Looks damn good to me.

Used to like em real runny when I was a kiddo, and sop em up with my toast. Not any more.

I do prefer my bacon almost burnt, though. 😬
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
This is the 24hourcampfire, I'm a bit dismayed that somebody isn't using bear grease or buffler fat.....

LOL. Calling Kaywoodie!!!

[Linked Image]
Looks well done
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Geeeeno!
😎

I don’t know all the fancy foody verbiage. I like them dippy. The edges of the whites all crispy and the yolks runny.

That's how I like em, and crispy bacon.
I can see that yolk.
All you see is the part that's holding the rest in. You're talking about sunny side up, not over easy.
You probably like your sashimi cooked.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
Fried eggs done with nothing runny. Bacon barely crisp, not burnt. Biscuit crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. To each his/her own, but to me a runny yolk is just nasty. My wife loves 'em runny. She calls them "soppy". I call them "sloppy". Enjoy it the way you like it.
You don't deserve an egg if you like them overcooked.

It's a smiteable offense.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
Grain producers needed a way to get rid of their vegetable oils, which were a byproduct of processing vegetables and grains for consumption, so they hired "scientists" to perform studies blaming heart attacks on the use of animal fats in cooking and for spreading on toast, then offered to the public various "healthy" alternative to it. The medical establishment bought into this BS completely, and sales of lard, tallow, and butter plummeted. Folks switched over in mass to vegetable oils for cooking, and replaced butter with margarine.

I seem to recall from something read long ago that our government was involved in this mis-information during WWII, because they wanted lard and butter to go to the troops, during the war. miles
Posted By: milespatton Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
I ate in a lot of resturants scattered all across Arkansas during my working career. Ate out five mornings a week for most of it. Ordering eggs over easy resulted with some runny white in probably 90% of them. I went to over medium and things got right. miles

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: poboy Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
I like my eggs any way they come.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24

THIS ^^^^^

BASTED is about the only way I order eggs, BASTED Medium, whites must NOT be runny.

A NOTE: If you wait till they're 'ready' before you take them out of the pan, they will be overdone by the time you eat them.....

Basted, if you don't know, is an egg in a puddle of bacon grease, you then splash the grease on top of the egg with your spatula.....

They should then be served, not beside your potatoes or grits, but ON TOP!!!

YMMV
Originally Posted by milespatton
I ate in a lot of resturants scattered all across Arkansas during my working career. Ate out five mornings a week for most of it. Ordering eggs over easy resulted with some runny white in probably 90% of them. I went to over medium and things got right. miles
Yes, that's the way I like it, too, regardless of that being mislabeled as over medium at some diners. Fully cooked whites, and runny yolk, is perfect over easy. If the yolk isn't runny at all when broken, that's over well. If it's just a little runny, that's over medium.

I should have taken a second shot of those eggs, too, to demonstrate that the yolks, once broken, spread out over the plate (I never imagined, however, that I'd get pushback on whether or not they were over easy). That's not technically over medium. Over medium would be a yolk that just barely oozes out when broken. Over well is when there's no oozing out at all, once broken.

All that is beside the point, however, of my posted image, which was that cast iron is a great way to cook bacon and eggs.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
I want my whites crispy and yolks runny, for dipping my buttered wheat toast in.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
Beef tallow
Hawkeye, you can plainly see that overdone yolk. LOL
Those who are asserting that there shouldn't be a thin layer of cooked yolk on what was (before the flip) the sunny side are confusing over-easy with sunny-side-up. There has to be a thin layer of cooked yolk on what had been (before the flip) the sunny side to keep the yolk from breaking upon transition to the plate. Done properly, when you cut open the yolk on your plate (through that thin layer of cooked yolk), the yolk oozes out, and spreads all over. If that doesn't happen, then you have over medium or over well.
Overdone is overdone , brother

I made them again today in exactly the same way, but this time made sure to take a shot after splitting them open, for the doubters.

How they land in the plate when they are slid from the pan is random. In the previous shot, one happened to land with what had been the sunny side facing up. In this shot, they happened to both land with what had been the sunny side facing down, but they were cooked in exactly the same way, for the exact same amount of time, at exactly the same heat. My formula never varies.

Right after sliding them into the plate from the cast iron skillet:

[Linked Image]

Right after slicing them down the middle:

[Linked Image]

Perfect over-easy every time.
Over cooked.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Geeeeno!
😎

For those in the know, they are not over easy, nor sunny side the way I learned it.

Those were cooked in the grease from the bacon (or oil if it was the sausage day eggs), with the meat removed from the pan and the hot grease spooned over the tops, while the edges get all crispy...............as it only proper for a good egg.

The way I learned it, over easy involves flipping and sunny side usually involves placing a cover over the pan so the tops of the whites cook.

I'm not fussy, I can eat them with runny whites, as I usually like them when eating poached eggs or soft boiled. My wife hates them that way.

For me, over easy is overcooked.
Preach it brother.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
Discriminating epicures know.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
Use the spray cans of PAM from Sam's Club for seasoning... 2 cans' for about $6. Never wash, sits covered on the stove top ready for use continually. Both a 2-burner griddle on one side and a 12" skillet on the other. Nothing better than cornmeal hot cakes fried in bacon grease topped with maple syrup, a pound of bacon, and a half dozen sunny side up eggs.

Phil
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Geeeeno!
😎

For those in the know, they are not over easy, nor sunny side the way I learned it.

Those were cooked in the grease from the bacon (or oil if it was the sausage day eggs), with the meat removed from the pan and the hot grease spooned over the tops, while the edges get all crispy...............as it only proper for a good egg.

The way I learned it, over easy involves flipping and sunny side usually involves placing a cover over the pan so the tops of the whites cook.

I'm not fussy, I can eat them with runny whites, as I usually like them when eating poached eggs or soft boiled. My wife hates them that way.

For me, over easy is overcooked.

In bygone days, they used to call it "build a fence around em".
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/09/24

Posted By: jackmountain Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/10/24

Damn! Beautiful job and awesome collection.
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/10/24
I made them again today in exactly the same way, but this time made sure to take a shot after splitting them open, for the doubters.

How they land in the plate when they are slid from the pan is random. In the previous shot, one happened to land with what had been the sunny side facing up. In this shot, they happened to both land with what had been the sunny side facing down, but they were cooked in exactly the same way, for the exact same amount of time, at exactly the same heat. My formula never varies.

Right after sliding them into the plate from the cast iron skillet:

[Linked Image]

Right after slicing them down the middle:

[Linked Image]

Perfect over-easy every time.

Did you drop 'em on the floor? My eggs don't have black spots.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/10/24
my eggs are always sunside up and my thick butcher shop bacon is always cooked wiggly , no potato chip bacon for me . my beef steaks always butter fried Pittsburg blue about 2 minutes or less a side on the thick steak , rested 5-6 minutes with those butter fried mushrooms dump on top my steak too.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/10/24
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
LOL. That's what happens when you cook bacon first, and eggs second.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/10/24
Those are some fine looking fried eggs, Hawkeye. Cooked just the way they should be.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/10/24
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
LOL. That's what happens when you cook bacon first, and eggs second.
I’ll give you that and the second batch of eggs looks better than the hard yellow yolk ones.
Those are some fine looking fried eggs, Hawkeye. Cooked just the way they should be.
Thanks. I get enough practice, LOL. I pretty much make them every morning, and have for as long as I can remember. It's just not really breakfast without a couple of eggs.

I remember my vacation in Italy, and no one there ever heard of eggs for breakfast. Drove me crazy. Breakfast there was cold cuts and pastry.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/10/24
Thanks. I get enough practice, LOL. I pretty much make them every morning, and have for as long as I can remember. It's just not really breakfast without a couple of eggs.

I remember my vacation in Italy, and no one there ever heard of eggs for breakfast. Drove me crazy. Breakfast there was cold cuts and pastry.
Ewww. Gross
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/10/24
To clarify; I'd eat your eggs Hawkeye. I get the bacon about done and put the eggs in. All comes out together. Also prefer non crispy bacon. Heat gets turned down before the eggs go in.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/10/24
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Damn! Beautiful job and awesome collection.

Very nice, indeed.

One I revitalized.

Posted By: Valsdad Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/10/24

Lookin' good, as always............bro
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/10/24

Sure...if you don't like eggs.
Posted By: add Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/10/24
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Use the spray cans of PAM from Sam's Club for seasoning... 2 cans' for about $6. Never wash, sits covered on the stove top ready for use continually. Both a 2-burner griddle on one side and a 12" skillet on the other. Nothing better than cornmeal hot cakes fried in bacon grease topped with maple syrup, a pound of bacon, and a half dozen sunny side up eggs.

Phil

stfu already, Pill.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/10/24
Phyllis loves the runny whites......
Posted By: rlott Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/10/24
Just finished repairing one that got dropped.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Good work.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Cast Iron Skillet - 03/10/24
Cast iron ain't just for cooking breakfast

© 24hourcampfire