-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Other than Okra, we cook most everything in cast iron.

Lot's of good suggestions here. Not gonna argue with folks of what or how to care for cast iron.

I have re-seasoned an 80 year old iron scotch bowl for my son in law now 5 times. Kid is determined to clean the damn pot with salt. Apparently folks from Georgia clean cast iron with salt.

Down here in Louisiana, we clean cast with elbow grease and hot water.

Any ways..............check into some of the newer products like CrissBEE.

It's beeswax and oil base, goes on easy, VERY little goes a long way.

I have cast that literally is in my last will and testament.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Break out the pitchforks and tar and feathers for what I'm about to say.....

Soap will not turn your cast iron into a pile of rust and disappear into oblivion. Soap will not strip off the precious seasoning.

Oil is not "Seasoning".

Oil is used in the creation of the seasoning.

Soap can be used in the cleaning of cast iron. I usually just use hot water and a dish brush, but there are times when soap came in handy.

All followed up with a heated dry, application of an oil, and then a heat to smoke.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Not sure why everyone wants to use such a high smoke point oil when the "seasoning" is carbon left over from the oil burning off.

I use oil with a lower smoke point than the extreme high temps.

Every time i use a skillet or a flat top...I am seasoning it.
Dammit, Jim!

This here is rocket sugary!!

Sheesh.

Haha!

I am sorry.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I keep some corn or peanut oil outside in my cooking cabinet next to my camp chef flattop.

Clean the surface, oil it down. Burn off liquid.
Oil again and burn it off.

Seasoning so tough a cat couldn't scratch it.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Soap will not turn your cast iron into a pile of rust and disappear into oblivion. Soap will not strip off the precious seasoning.

Oil is not "Seasoning".

Soap can be used in the cleaning of cast iron. I usually just use hot water and a dish brush, but there are times when soap came in handy.

All followed up with a heated dry, application of an oil, and then a heat to smoke.

A-greed

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Oil is not "Seasoning".

Same.

Because the dogs do the preclean cycle, our CI is always cleaned w Dawn and scotchbrite sponge.

We can share the incoming fire! laugh

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ironbender

Oil is not "Seasoning".

Same.

Because the dogs do the preclean cycle, our CI is always cleaned w Dawn and scotchbrite sponge.

We can share the incoming fire! laugh

Yep, soap is just fine if the pan is fully seasoned. I use it and a bristled brush for cleaning. Chainmail scrubber if needed. Just don't use lye as it will strip the seasoning.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
this is how the old timers seasoned their cast iron skillets except i used the indoor oven. 1st on the grade shelf you plan on setting the skillet on wrap aluminum foil on that shelf , then with a clean skillet take a paper towel wipe on a decent layer of bacon fat on both sides of the skillet including handle , then put skillet on the aluminum foil shelf upside down ,turn oven to 400 degrees for 3 - 4 hrs. , repeat this process once a day for 4-6 days , 6 days does the best job , only use hot water to clean your skillet ,never ever use soap in a seasoned skillet ! enjoy your season skillet. if you have a old rusty skillet check out the internet for how to refinish your old skillet. Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Generally use olive oil because that is what my wife keeps in the cupboard.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by pete53
this is how the old timers seasoned their cast iron skillets except i used the indoor oven. 1st on the grade shelf you plan on setting the skillet on wrap aluminum foil on that shelf , then with a clean skillet take a paper towel wipe on a decent layer of bacon fat on both sides of the skillet including handle , then put skillet on the aluminum foil shelf upside down ,turn oven to 400 degrees for 3 - 4 hrs. , repeat this process once a day for 4-6 days , 6 days does the best job , only use hot water to clean your skillet ,never ever use soap in a seasoned skillet ! enjoy your season skillet. if you have a old rusty skillet check out the internet for how to refinish your old skillet. Pete53

The old timers I knew just used to cook with them.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pete53

The old timers I knew just used to cook with them.
Yep……….if you are only cooking cornbread in your cast iron every two months………maybe you shouldn’t own cast iron. Cooking in them is what makes the magic

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
This morning's breakfast on my old Griswold cast iron skillet. Perfect bacon and two perfect, over easy, eggs.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
A perfect over easy egg does not exist.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope. Don't wash my cast iron. If it's properly seasoned, just let it cool down then wipe it out with paper towels.

Wash cast iron!? You bunch of heathens! 😉

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lard or Crisco.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I had them for breakfast, so yes they do.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You want a slippery cast iron skillet?
Ghee/rendered pork fat.
Eggs slide out so fast, you better have a good hold on yer plate!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Uh that's not over easy. More like over medium.

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
This morning's breakfast on my old Griswold cast iron skillet. Perfect bacon and two perfect, over easy, eggs.

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I had them for breakfast, so yes they do.

You could have eaten a golden egg for all it matters.

Over easy is over done.

I am MAGA.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (160user, 163bc, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 69sportfury, 20 invisible), 1,879 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,117
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.