Home
The miraculous parallel to this story is the angle of the flag in comparison to Iwo Jima. God has prepared & preserved us a nation.
šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘
^^^
https://www.nps.gov/fomc/index.htm
Originally Posted by Reloder28
The miraculous parallel to this story is the angle of the flag in comparison to Iwo Jima. God has prepared & preserved us a nation.
And as a nation, we've turned against him. We'll pay dearly for that.
šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡øšŸ«”
up
Thanks for the post - always a good reminder. Not much of a detraction, but unfortunate that this particular rendition had some mispronunciation and a spelling error in the captioning.
Dang allergies!.šŸ˜€
Thanks for posting this!
A fellow named George Armistead was in command of Ft McHenry that evening.
His nephew lead one of General Picketā€™s brigades a few years later at a place called Gettysburg.
Lewis Armistead, the nephew, was mortally wounded after crossing that stone wall, now immortalized as The Angle. He was captured by the Yankees, and died two days later. (Every time I visit I leave a penny on the stone that marks the spot where he fell.)
Lewisā€™s friendship,closer to brotherhood, with a Union General named WS Hancock has become a legend. Hancock commanded the troops who repelled the attack, and mortally wounded Lewis Armistead.
The legend says that General Armistead passed on a few personal items, and an apology to Hancock as he was carried to a hospital on Cemetery Ridge. A watch and a Bible with the words ā€œTrust in God and fear nothingā€ written on a fly leaf.
I buy the legend and the friendship, but not the apology. He commanded a Rebel brigade In defense of his home.
What did that man do that would need to be apologized for?
Maybe he regretted hearing of General Hancockā€™s severe wound. I can understand that.
But saying Lew Armistead was apologizing for his role in the war, as many suggest is a downright fairytale.
Reon
Up
up
Bump in memory of those lost on the bridge.
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE

Did the masonry restoration work there in 1994+/-.

Used to go back from time to time... but not any more.

Even gave away my https://www.gallon.com/shop/other-wars/war-of-1812/the-flag-is-full-of-stars-limited-edition-prints/ award... to a young USMC Capt.

Memories...
A little bit misty in here.
Reloder posts the story of the Star Spangled Banner, and a week later the Francis Scott Key Bridge gets knocked down. Weird.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Reloder posts the story of the Star Spangled Banner, and a week later the Francis Scott Key Bridge gets knocked down. Weird.

That IS coincidental.
Awesome story!
Posted By: LBP Re: And now, the rest of the story - 03/27/24
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Dang allergies!.šŸ˜€
Thanks for posting this!
A fellow named George Armistead was in command of Ft McHenry that evening.
His nephew lead one of General Picketā€™s brigades a few years later at a place called Gettysburg.
Lewis Armistead, the nephew, was mortally wounded after crossing that stone wall, now immortalized as The Angle. He was captured by the Yankees, and died two days later. (Every time I visit I leave a penny on the stone that marks the spot where he fell.)
Lewisā€™s friendship,closer to brotherhood, with a Union General named WS Hancock has become a legend. Hancock commanded the troops who repelled the attack, and mortally wounded Lewis Armistead.
The legend says that General Armistead passed on a few personal items, and an apology to Hancock as he was carried to a hospital on Cemetery Ridge. A watch and a Bible with the words ā€œTrust in God and fear nothingā€ written on a fly leaf.
I buy the legend and the friendship, but not the apology. He commanded a Rebel brigade In defense of his home.
What did that man do that would need to be apologized for?
Maybe he regretted hearing of General Hancockā€™s severe wound. I can understand that.
But saying Lew Armistead was apologizing for his role in the war, as many suggest is a downright fairytale.
Reon

The apology you mention General Armistead saying was actually his regrets to General Hancock that he had been wounded. At least thatā€™s how I heard it.
Hand over my heart.
I had saw this same video before, but, I watched the whole thing again. Wonderful.
Gets me every time.
Up
What people donā€™t realize is that armament and technology never won a war for America. What America has that no other country has is the American GI which defies all other forces and ideals. Throughout the entire history of this country, we have been protected by American soldiers and Godā€¦
Bump with this added:

bump
Originally Posted by shrapnel
What people donā€™t realize is that armament and technology never won a war for America. What America has that no other country has is the American GI which defies all other forces and ideals. Throughout the entire history of this country, we have been protected by American soldiers and Godā€¦

Limiting the armament and technology to 2 specific instances, there are untold thousands of US military personnel and their families that would have had their lives cut short/never existed were it not for Fat Man and Little Boy.
© 24hourcampfire