Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
The miraculous parallel to this story is the angle of the flag in comparison to Iwo Jima. God has prepared & preserved us a nation.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
👍👍👍👍

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
^^^

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reloder28
The miraculous parallel to this story is the angle of the flag in comparison to Iwo Jima. God has prepared & preserved us a nation.
And as a nation, we've turned against him. We'll pay dearly for that.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
🇺🇸🫡

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
up

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the post - always a good reminder. Not much of a detraction, but unfortunate that this particular rendition had some mispronunciation and a spelling error in the captioning.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang allergies!.😀
Thanks for posting this!
A fellow named George Armistead was in command of Ft McHenry that evening.
His nephew lead one of General Picket’s brigades a few years later at a place called Gettysburg.
Lewis Armistead, the nephew, was mortally wounded after crossing that stone wall, now immortalized as The Angle. He was captured by the Yankees, and died two days later. (Every time I visit I leave a penny on the stone that marks the spot where he fell.)
Lewis’s friendship,closer to brotherhood, with a Union General named WS Hancock has become a legend. Hancock commanded the troops who repelled the attack, and mortally wounded Lewis Armistead.
The legend says that General Armistead passed on a few personal items, and an apology to Hancock as he was carried to a hospital on Cemetery Ridge. A watch and a Bible with the words “Trust in God and fear nothing” written on a fly leaf.
I buy the legend and the friendship, but not the apology. He commanded a Rebel brigade In defense of his home.
What did that man do that would need to be apologized for?
Maybe he regretted hearing of General Hancock’s severe wound. I can understand that.
But saying Lew Armistead was apologizing for his role in the war, as many suggest is a downright fairytale.
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Up

Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
up

Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bump in memory of those lost on the bridge.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE

Did the masonry restoration work there in 1994+/-.

Used to go back from time to time... but not any more.

Even gave away my https://www.gallon.com/shop/other-wars/war-of-1812/the-flag-is-full-of-stars-limited-edition-prints/ award... to a young USMC Capt.

Memories...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A little bit misty in here.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Reloder posts the story of the Star Spangled Banner, and a week later the Francis Scott Key Bridge gets knocked down. Weird.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Reloder posts the story of the Star Spangled Banner, and a week later the Francis Scott Key Bridge gets knocked down. Weird.

That IS coincidental.

Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Awesome story!

Be reasonable. Do it my way!
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Dang allergies!.😀
Thanks for posting this!
A fellow named George Armistead was in command of Ft McHenry that evening.
His nephew lead one of General Picket’s brigades a few years later at a place called Gettysburg.
Lewis Armistead, the nephew, was mortally wounded after crossing that stone wall, now immortalized as The Angle. He was captured by the Yankees, and died two days later. (Every time I visit I leave a penny on the stone that marks the spot where he fell.)
Lewis’s friendship,closer to brotherhood, with a Union General named WS Hancock has become a legend. Hancock commanded the troops who repelled the attack, and mortally wounded Lewis Armistead.
The legend says that General Armistead passed on a few personal items, and an apology to Hancock as he was carried to a hospital on Cemetery Ridge. A watch and a Bible with the words “Trust in God and fear nothing” written on a fly leaf.
I buy the legend and the friendship, but not the apology. He commanded a Rebel brigade In defense of his home.
What did that man do that would need to be apologized for?
Maybe he regretted hearing of General Hancock’s severe wound. I can understand that.
But saying Lew Armistead was apologizing for his role in the war, as many suggest is a downright fairytale.
Reon

The apology you mention General Armistead saying was actually his regrets to General Hancock that he had been wounded. At least that’s how I heard it.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hand over my heart.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 61 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,522
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.