Home
Posted By: Simplepeddler Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Have y'all kept up with some of this stuff? I'm late to the party, but apparently in some counties in the great USA a person can go on vacation for a few weeks and come back home and a family has occupied your house!!! And the county police protect the squatter??

That's like the wild wild west.

Imagine that happening in rural USA?

I just can't rap my brain around some of the stupid stuff these urban areas consider norm.
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
How would Tony Soprano handle it?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Florida just passed a law that allows the cops to just throw the bastards out on the spot and makes squatting a crime.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
If I came home from vacation and squatters were occupying my home I would end up in Jail. This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while squatter having more rights than the original landowner/homeowner.
Originally Posted by Riverc
If I came home from vacation and squatters were occupying my home I would end up in Jail. This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while squatter having more rights than the original landowner/homeowner.

That's what I'm screaming here!!

Who the hell just walks away from their own house and says "I'll see you in court you darn squatter"??

Around south Louisiana, we would be running crabs off their carcasses and sharing the crabs with our cousins.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
I remember seeing this starting about 2 years ago in California, couldn't believe you had to take them to court for removal. Then they showed the inside of the house after they left, it was trashed, filthy, items stolen.

Unbelievable........SSS
Posted By: rost495 Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
SSS. What this country is headed to is ridiculous.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler

Who the hell just walks away from their own house and says "I'll see you in court you darn squatter"??

Around south Louisiana, we would be running crabs off their carcasses and sharing the crabs with our cousins.

Local decisions...

You say crabs... but I think hogs.

The diversity of 24HC is fascinating.

*Pro Tip... Always knock out dem teeth... a hog could get indigestion.

I’d be in jail too. Maybe for a long time. But wouldn’t be any squatters left in my house.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Why do squatters have any rights? Trespassing isn’t a crime anymore?
Originally Posted by GringoCazador

I’d be in jail too. Maybe for a long time. But wouldn’t be any squatters left in my house.
Yep agree
Originally Posted by Sako76

If I remember correctly the squatter POS somehow get classed under a renter status, thus having 30 days to vacate or some bullchiit. Then they start the long process of appeal, adds 30 days.....new date set & don't show up for court....finally a judge has to issue an order for conviction.

But it can take months & months, at least the families I saw on the program. Last I saw it was taking place in ritzy areas of Vegas, taking over mansions with 20 people at a time. Just image coming home, and you can't get into your house to access you guns for justice.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
There is a YouTube video out there about a guy in California that will sign a lease with you and move into the house with the squatters and be so obnoxious that the squatters will leave. One of the interesting news items I have read about that is scammers will scope out houses and learn who is gone and how long they will be gone then do scam leases with people looking for homes to rent and the renters move in only to find out the people they paid first, last, and deposit don't own the home and are nowhere to be found.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Originally Posted by GAGoober

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by BluMtn
There is a YouTube video out there about a guy in California that will sign a lease with you and move into the house with the squatters and be so obnoxious that the squatters will leave. One of the interesting news items I have read about that is scammers will scope out houses and learn who is gone and how long they will be gone then do scam leases with people looking for homes to rent and the renters move in only to find out the people they paid first, last, and deposit don't own the home and are nowhere to be found.

I saw that fake lease scam, pretending to be an Airbnb transaction. But that's nothing like the squatters moving in for months, and the local police can't legally remove them from the premises.
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

If I remember correctly the squatter POS somehow get classed under a renter status, thus having 30 days to vacate or some bullchiit. Then they start the long process of appeal, adds 30 days.....new date set & don't show up for court....finally a judge has to issue an order for conviction.

But it can take months & months, at least the families I saw on the program. Last I saw it was taking place in ritzy areas of Vegas, taking over mansions with 20 people at a time. Just image coming home, and you can't get into your house to access you guns for justice.
Wife and I carry so that's 2 guns ready, maybe I should start leaving home with the AR 15 & multiple magazines.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
In Idaho, you have to go through legal channels to serve an eviction notice. I don't know how long that takes or what's involved but it's a lot longer than FL's new law.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Squatting is one of the few things that really makes my blood boil. I would not react well to it. It's all so illogical.

It's as if the homeowner can't re-squat.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
This reminds me. I really need to buy myself a backhoe.

Wife and I carry so that's 2 guns ready, maybe I should start leaving home with the AR 15 & multiple magazines.

Agreed, it's a serious dilemma. My wife and I travel a fair amount, many times international flights with long term parking. Imagine getting off a plane, driving home, and seeing all the lights on with people walking around in your home.......and you have NO GUN !!!

Luckily we live in the country, and odds of it happening where I personally live would be difficult......but if we keep letting 8k+ immigrants across the border a day, this will only get much worse.
Originally Posted by gregintenn

laugh
Originally Posted by gregintenn

lololol, exactly.
Posted By: sidewinder72 Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
They say they just move in while you are gone and have a friend send a letter to that address with your name on that location. So then the law acts like you are renting the place because of the mail showing your residence. I would probably go to jail for something bad.
My wife had an acquaintance who owned a rental house. Her renters quit paying and wouldn't leave. It took her a long time to get them out only to find that they'd destroyed the house. It had copper plumbing which had disappeared and all the walls had been torn out and the wiring stolen.
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
They say they just move in while you are gone and have a friend send a letter to that address with your name on that location. So then the law acts like you are renting the place because of the mail showing your residence. I would probably go to jail for something bad.

Yep what I saw it appeared they were jumping through loopholes in the system, and states need to address the problem with new laws.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
My Wife had bad renters out in two days
Posted By: Raeford Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
I believe the very recent case somewhere in NY was resolved by some local friends of the owners.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Different states have different laws. In Louisiana, it's not hard to get rid of squatters. Renters that have stopped paying rent are a different thing, but there are way to expedite the situation.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Considering the invasion coming from the southern border, I would expect some municipalities to expand squatters rights to help facilitate the situation. We’ve got to make room for what’s coming. Lot’s of conflict on the way.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24

I carry 2 handguns, a tactical shotgun, an ar15 and ammo in my truck daily for 2 reasons, A. I travel daily for work in Illinois in some rural areas where meth and other drugs are rampant, and B. I want to be able to get home if SHTF, didnt think id need it to get in my home,,,,but if i can get to my outbuilding
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Did she threaten to have you come over and talk to them?
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I'd cut the power, water, gas, then have a free neighborhood picnic with beer & food 24 hrs. a day...... start shooting guns off in the yard, maybe some fireworks, and wait for them to come out the door 1 by 1 and snatch them.
County Shereff
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
I am glad I live in what is considered around the country as a backwards state full of rednecks and hillbillys. Our lawmakers have common sense and have old time values. I don't hear about tresspassers and squatters having more rights than owners here. Someone comes in your house here you can shoot them if they won't leave.
Posted By: johnn Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I am glad I live in what is considered around the country as a backwards state full of rednecks and hillbillys. Our lawmakers have common sense and have old time values. I don't hear about tresspassers and squatters having more rights than owners here. Someone comes in your house here you can shoot them if they won't leave.

I am so happy for you.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Florida just passed a law that allows the cops to just throw the bastards out on the spot and makes squatting a crime.

That needs to be the model for all states.
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
It would be just like killing Rats, not one bit of feeling except kill.
Just "rent" the house to a local motorcycle club for a week for a C-note- - - - -you pay them. Let them take out the trash.
Originally Posted by Angus55
It would be just like killing Rats, not one bit of feeling except kill.

Although I agree with you, jail would be your future.....and a long prison term based on the state. It's a screwed up deal, with many innocent people being ripped off.
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Just "rent" the house to a local motorcycle club for a week for a C-note- - - - -you pay them. Let them take out the trash.

That's a great idea.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24

What terrifies me is I know what they would have if they have been in our house.

As for getting rid of renters?
I know a guy who rents to Section 8 folks.
If they seem unwilling to move, he offers them$1000 to be gone in a week and the place not be trashed. Otherwise, he spends and loses money getting rid of them,they do damage, and eventually they get removed and have nothing.

It usually works for him.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
If they seem unwilling to move, he offers them$1000 to be gone in a week and the place not be trashed. Otherwise, he spends and loses money getting rid of them,they do damage, and eventually they get removed and have nothing.

That's also an excellent idea, costs less in the long run for sure.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Because this country is a giant chithole anymore and one that none of us recognize
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by GAGoober

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This is the proper way to handle it!

lmfao!
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Keep a good supply of lime.
I have no success renting.

Yep, would make good crawfish bait too.
Originally Posted by gunchamp

lmfao!

Glad someone got it.
Posted By: 1Longbow Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Send in 2 police dogs
Posted By: Redneck Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24

Exactly... Once the squatter(s) pass 30 days inside, they gots rights!!! (in several places).

They'd not get any 'warm' welcome from me... IYGMD..
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Friend of mine here has a bunch of rent houses. When people refuse to pay he starts removing things from his house to make it uncomfortable to stay. Like removing all the doors. In the winter they get cold. in the summer the mosquitos run them out. Not sure how he gets away with it but he is one of those guys that is fearless. If they want to stay they have to pay.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Pappy348: Back when I was on the job (1968 - 1997) those "criminals" that would break into someone else's house were simply arrested for the felony "burglary"!
Thus very few incidents like this occurred (back then!).
I have NO idea why this type lunacy is allowed to go on now.
Good for Florida for taking the right path in this regard.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: mathman Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Friend of mine here has a bunch of rent houses. When people refuse to pay he starts removing things from his house to make it uncomfortable to stay. Like removing all the doors. In the winter they get cold. in the summer the mosquitos run them out. Not sure how he gets away with it but he is one of those guys that is fearless. If they want to stay they have to pay.

I can't recall the jurisdictions but I believe there are places where owners aren't allowed to cut off electricity, water and the like in an effort to get squatters to self evict.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Throw a damn hornets nest through the door and be done with it.
Posted By: mathman Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Originally Posted by Fireball2

One gets stung, dies of anaphylactic shock, and you go to jail for manslaughter. That's where we are these days.
Posted By: rong Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
https://nypost.com/2024/03/19/us-ne...ted-after-tense-standoff-with-squatters/

It's here and real.
About 2 years ago,we had a bad tenant and were working on getting her out.
She had let someone stay in the apartment that we had no knowledge of.
Police said we had to evict him,as he was "invited" in.
We didn't even have a name,only knew him as Doobie,but for a proper eviction you need a name.
Thankfully they both left
Makes me wonder, if the squatters fry a frozen turkey in the living room and burn the house down, does the insurance cover? If you are a poor bastage like me and not flush with cash like some of you guys, then, would not my mortgage company be concerned about the squatters?

Maybe the banks have more stroke because, well, they own the place.................right??
Just another in a loooong list of leftist/communists policies designed to destabilize society, demoralize and dis-incentivize the population.
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Fireball2

One gets stung, dies of anaphylactic shock, and you go to jail for manslaughter. That's where we are these days.

There are ways to get bees in a house on the sly.
Posted By: las Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Makes me wonder, if the squatters fry a frozen turkey in the living room and burn the house down, does the insurance cover? If you are a poor bastage like me and not flush with cash like some of you guys, then, would not my mortgage company be concerned about the squatters?

Maybe the banks have more stroke because, well, they own the place.................right??

Not squatters, but renters.

Not here. How the heck does some sort of sticky goo get on a 10-11 foot high ceiling, and inside the chandeleer globes????
Then they asked if they were getting their one-month rental deposit back. Uh, no?

It took my wife, son and I two days to clean the place, then had professional carpet cleaning, but no damage...

Got good ones now- one has been in there for 9 years. He did set fire to the place once....

I think the other one (2 years) is off parole now.... smile

Black guy. Says he is NEVER doing anything to go back to jail - apparently it is not a good experience.
Posted By: Rapier Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
FL went over board protecting tenants rights and got the squatters in on the deal. We had a dozen rentals, got out, was too way too crazy. Took at least 90 days to get squatters out after service, same as dead beat renters, give you a hot check to move in, never pay a cent and took months to get rid of them, if a pregnant woman, can not evict until after delivery. Having never paid you one penny for your property or rent or having just moved in while you were gone.
It got pretty bad to be a property owner especially at the beach. Always, there folks that want to take advantage in ever way you can imagine. If you forcibly evict them, you get arrested, not them and they are 100% aware because it is a setup, by fraudsters from start to finish.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Not a new problem. And it can be serious.

Why would someone not take measures, forceful armed ones, to get someone out of their property? perhaps because they don't want to spend time in jail, lose their job, have to mortgage the house a second time to pay the legal fees, etc.

If the squatters are smart, they've got signed lease agreements. You call coppers, they come, see the lease agreement and it is now a civil matter and not a trespassing case.

Good number of vacation properties, second home type deals around here. Local deputies tell me they are targets of squatters. That and them moving and RV or trailer onto a vacant lot. If the squatters have paperwork, the deputies cannot, by law, remove or trespass them.

Just a way of life for some.

I guess if you're an actual legal renter, it's nice to know that if you have a one year lease the owner doesn't come back in three months and try to get you out. But it works against folks sometimes too.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24

That's a great idea.

Yeah, but then, how do you get the outlaw bikers out???

L.W.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

That's a great idea.

L.W.

1/2# of quality weed should do the trick.
Posted By: rong Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24

I can't recall the jurisdictions but I believe there are places where owners aren't allowed to cut off electricity, water and the like in an effort to get squatters to self evict.

Prohibited here in NewYorkistan.
Posted By: RogueHunter Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Here's a TikTok telling illegals how to squat. He's got 4,000,000 views.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...erican-homes-invoke-squatter-rights.html

That's a great idea.

L.W.

Bikes aren't bulletproof. After a couple of them get the gas tank sniped from half a mile away, the others will get the message.

Oregon for one. Oregon is nuts. A friend and her brother inherited their parents place in OR. Some squatters moved in shortly after they got the title. It's been over 2 years and they can't get them out. They can't turn off the power or anything else. Plus, THEY have to pay the power bills since the house is in their name.
Posted By: akrange Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Coco Mellon thinking about Putting Up the Illegals in your home .

A couple of Governors have Floated the Concept..

I see Chicongo has run out of Money to House and Feed the Illegals and their turning them to the Street

What do you think a Psychopathic Government next Move would Be with Millions of Vagrants just roaming around that they can’t Support..

You guess it

“ We The People “
Posted By: las Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Oregon for one. Oregon is nuts. A friend and her brother inherited their parents place in OR. Some squatters moved in shortly after they got the title. It's been over 2 years and they can't get them out. They can't turn off the power or anything else. Plus, THEY have to pay the power bills since the house is in their name.[/quote]

Well, don't pay the bill? Power Co may cut juice - or maybe cannot.? Credit score takes a hit, and maybe a lien or lawsuit by the power company?

Sounds like they need to insure the place well & some time later hire an expert discrete professional, if somewhat incendiary, "attorney" .
Just off the top of my head.... smile

Should be other measures they can take to make it uncomfortable for the squatters to stay.

SWAT tips to cops, red flag alerts, stink bombs thru windows at 2 am. There is or was a 2-part skunk scent chemical.

The squatters are gonna trash the place anyway.

If a squatter gets hurt on the premises, can the legit owner be sued for unsafe conditions? Probably in some places.

The US is turning into a 3rd world chithole!
Posted By: JefeMojado Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Two separate scenarios going on in this thread to my mind. Legally getting rid of renters who stop paying rent and just take up squatting is one, I understand there is bad law surrounding that , but the other is a whole different topic. If I come home from a week or two fishing trip or vacation, and someone is in my house, I certainly wouldn't wring my hands and twist about what I need to do. I don't think any man would hesitate, just as I wouldn't, to consider it a home invasion, illegal trespass and breaking and entering.
I find it hard to believe most of us here would open the door and upon seeing your home has been broke into and a home invader is present, would run back out to the car and nervously ask your bride, Oh honey, what should we do? I know I'd be swinging a bat or wielding a hand gun demanding the the fuggers to get out and make it quick.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Some dumfuk leftist wet dream law
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
Two separate scenarios going on in this thread to my mind. Legally getting rid of renters who stop paying rent and just take up squatting is one, I understand there is bad law surrounding that , but the other is a whole different topic. If I come home from a week or two fishing trip or vacation, and someone is in my house, I certainly wouldn't wring my hands and twist about what I need to do. I don't think any man would hesitate, just as I wouldn't, to consider it a home invasion, illegal trespass and breaking and entering.
I find it hard to believe most of us here would open the door and upon seeing your home has been broke into and a home invader is present, would run back out to the car and nervously ask your bride, Oh honey, what should we do? I know I'd be swinging a bat or wielding a hand gun demanding the the fuggers to get out and make it quick.

There's a third scenario where both the owner and the renter are victims. A third party pretends to own the vacant house, draws up a lease agreement and leases it out to some unsuspecting renters. They get cash deposits, first and last month's rent and haul ass.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24

There's a third scenario where both the owner and the renter are victims. A third party pretends to own the vacant house, draws up a lease agreement and leases it out to some unsuspecting renters. They get cash deposits, first and last month's rent and haul ass.
I’ve seen that happen
Originally Posted by earlybrd

I’ve seen that happen

I've also heard of that happening, now there is a real mess....2 parties got screwed over, the owner & unsuspecting "renter".
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/21/24
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Electrician buddy of mine said his family had lots of rentals and they'd always offer that up. Then when they were moved out and came to collect the money 'sorry, we are applying that to your past due rent'. He said they always kept their insurance paid up, but never had to use it....
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/22/24

That's a great idea.

L.W.

1/2# of quality weed should do the trick.
You don't know any outlaw bikers, do you?

You might want to up your ante to around 1/2 ton or so, or a few kilos of some powdery substances.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/22/24
It is a real shame that many of the the beautiful places along our country's coast line have chosen such crazy government. I just don't understand their thinking. How can laws pass that don't protect home and property?
Posted By: 99guy Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/23/24
Some time ago, I had an acquaintance in the Bronx that had an apartment he was renting and couldn't get rid of the tenants after they hadn't paid their rent for like 6 months. He got no help from the police or the courts. They tenants had rights.

So, he called a guy he knew named "Sammy" and asked him for a favor. Sammy went and talked to the tenants. The next morning, they moved out and later came and paid the back rent in cash.

The moral of the story is we need more guys like "Sammy" to solve these squatter issues.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/23/24
Whatever you do don't shoot them in the back.
Posted By: Strop10 Re: Squatters rights!!??? - 03/23/24
Then there is this.

© 24hourcampfire