Home
Posted By: denton St George, UT - 03/22/24
In town briefly. There are so many retirees here that the local burger joint is known as Carl's Senior.
Posted By: johnw Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
I looked at the place 2 years ago.

Much to like...
Posted By: denton Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
Originally Posted by johnw
I looked at the place 2 years ago.

Much to like...
Agreed. It's a very pleasant place most of the time. Lots to see and enjoy. And nice people for the most part.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
Lived there for nine years. Moved away due to age, be close to family. Miss SG, didn't fully appreciate it until we left.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
I'd love to own real estate there.
I'd sell it. $$$
Posted By: Steve Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
Was just there today, too. Showing an old work buddy the sights. Went to Snow Canyon and Gunlock. Then to Sand Hollow for a late lunch.

Back in Cedar now.

Growth is crazy in SG. Love our new place.
Posted By: bludog Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
I spent February there. One of the most beautiful natural areas I've seen. Love the low humidity. We like to hike - lots of nice trails, some a little crowded, but you can find some that are mostly all yours. I'd live there if it weren't for my folks - both in their 90s.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
St George has a large shooting community as, much like golf, there are a lot of days out of the year where one can shoot guns on the range. IPSC and 3 gun type shooting is the most popular.

Not as much hunting, LR, or shotgun.

There is a large range there that is going through issues due to the growth around the range.

The shooters might be getting squeezed out by the golfers.

Great weather if you don't mind a warm summer.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
Originally Posted by Steve
Was just there today, too. Showing an old work buddy the sights. Went to Snow Canyon and Gunlock. Then to Sand Hollow for a late lunch.

Back in Cedar now.

Having lived in controlled growth settings, and the uncontrolled growth ones..................I know which one I prefer.

SG will be a suburb of Las Vegas if it isn't already close to being one now.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24

Back in Cedar now.

How long have you been in Cedar Steve? I lived there as a kid. It’s a lot bigger now than it was then. Maybe I’ll move back some day.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
My Moms family was from Saint George and we lived in Cedar City when I was in grade school. Southern Utah is probably my favorite place on earth. Hoped to retire to Cedar City but family is here in Nevada and I don’t see that happening.
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin

Back in Cedar now.

How long have you been in Cedar Steve? I lived there as a kid. It’s a lot bigger now than it was then. Maybe I’ll move back some day.

Since July.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
Went through there 20 years ago and figured I could live around there in a heartbeat, really cool country ! I am looking after my Ma in " cheesehead nation" and this part of the country drives me nuts!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
Isn’t that all “down winder” land?

I guess for retirees it wouldn’t matter much.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
St George has a large selection of buffets and liquor establishments.

That's more like a burns post...
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
"...except for summer..."

That's the usual caveat. It's brutally hot there in summer. Not much better than Phoenix, in fact. Cedar City, only 60 miles or so away, but over 1,000 feet higher, is more tolerable.
Posted By: Teal Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
Big Walmart DC there IIRC. Prob a place where a retired guy could sit and check in trucks all day for a little cash.
Posted By: Bob_mt Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

That's the usual caveat. It's brutally hot there in summer. Not much better than Phoenix, in fact. Cedar City, only 60 miles or so away, but over 1,000 feet higher, is more tolerable.

its about 3000 feet higher and 45 miles away......having a house built there so checked out temps pretty good before making decision.

bob
Bob, I was going to say 3,000 but thought, "Nah...can't be right." It is, though. I do know that my gas mileage numbers plummet on that stretch, LOL!
Bob, I was going to say 3,000 but thought, "Nah...can't be right." It is, though. I do know that my gas mileage numbers plummet on that stretch, LOL!

yes it is one long uphill climb......looking forward to being closer to our favorite lake.....lake powell, bullfrog side.....bob
Posted By: Calvin Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

I don’t get it. Burns actually contributed good info on the thread.

Aren’t you a cop?
Posted By: Calvin Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
Originally Posted by Bob_mt

yes it is one long uphill climb......looking forward to being closer to our favorite lake.....lake powell, bullfrog side.....bob

I am looking forward to exploring lake Powell in the future. Always wanted to, never have.
I've houseboated both ends, and definitely prefer the Page/Wahweap end. Much better facilities, closer services, and frankly better fishing.

For those who have never been there, Lake Powell is no limit on stripers, smallmouth, and walleye. Plentiful largemouth, catfish, crappie, and bluegill, too.

The major drawback is the quagga mussel infestation, which requires special decontamination efforts when you leave - to prevent spreading them to other lakes. Small price to pay.
Originally Posted by Calvin

Aren’t you a cop?

He is a fat aŝshole, I like reminding him of that.

Nope I'm a mall cawp. I got a flashlight and whistle
I've houseboated both ends, and definitely prefer the Page/Wahweap end. Much better facilities, closer services, and frankly better fishing.

For those who have never been there, Lake Powell is no limit on stripers, smallmouth, and walleye. Plentiful largemouth, catfish, crappie, and bluegill, too.

The major drawback is the quagga mussel infestation, which requires special decontamination efforts when you leave - to prevent spreading them to other lakes. Small price to pay.

Rocky....its good to have choices, makes life nice....I much rather go to the bullfrog side. like you I have done many houseboat trips to both sides. plenty of services, less crowded.....better fishing!....lol.....leaving a fifth wheel at bullfrog will pull up a sxs and boat while in cedar city....calvin the fishing can be off the charts and the beauty is 2cd to none...bob

Closer to 2500 ft higher
Bob's gonna be about a mile from our place.
Posted By: greydog Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
St. George is one of those places we go through but seldom stop, except for fuel. We have stopped to de-winterize the trailer a couple of times. We sometimes head toward Vegas, on our way to Pahrump, or we'll go to Glen Canyon on our way south and east. Our granddaughter loved Glen Canyon, by the way. On the way to Pahrump, we'll often stay at the Virgin River rec area. All in all, the southwest is easy to like; for me, anyway. GD
Posted By: frank500 Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
Modern warriors gun shop is the reason I stop there
Bob's gonna be about a mile from our place.

who knows...maybe you like fishing....bob
I promise not to drink all your beer.
Posted By: CP Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
If it were not for the 9 grandkids living here in Montana, grandma and my driver licenses could have easily had St. George inscribed on them. I looked hard at buying a second home in the Sun River development, but from a practice point of view it really did not make any sense. We settled for a couple weeks a year in St. George and hiked a lot of the local trails. It was a great place for us to recharge our Montana winter batteries. Unfortunately, it has become just like so many other places on the planet, it has too damn many people to really enjoy all of its natural beauty and spectacular winter weather.
Originally Posted by Bob_mt

I am looking forward to exploring lake Powell in the future. Always wanted to, never have.

after I get settled in , if you get up that way would give you a tour ...of the bullfrog side...bob
Posted By: denton Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
One of the things hams do to amuse themselves is set up portable equipment in parks, and operate from there. On the other end of the link, there are hams who collect contacts with different parks. I just finished putting together my portable station.

One of the activities on this trip to SG was a portable operation at Gunlock State Park. It was really hard to endure: 70 degree weather, blue skies, people out on the water, trees just starting to leaf out.

It's a shame that Paul39 moved away. A few years ago, he and I had a fun lunch and a great session at the range when I came to visit.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24

Aren’t you a cop?

Jackie_Handjobs was being a bit of twit in the Elk Hunting Forum.

I councelled her on her borish behaviour and reminded her she had never shot an elk so her bad behaviour was even more improper.

She is currently trying to get all that sand out of her couchie so I expect her to lash out a bit.

Yes she is a Fed Cop in NM.

Aren’t you a cop?

Jackie_Handjobs was being a bit of twit in the Elk Hunting Forum.

I councelled her on her borish behaviour and reminded her she had never shot an elk so her bad behaviour was even more improper.

She is currently trying to get all that sand out of her couchie so I expect her to lash out a bit.

Yes she is a Fed Cop in NM.

Lol my goodness you are incredibly stupid (and fat)....waaay off. I've never worked for the feds. I'm a mall cop

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nope, no elk in my freezer lol lol (ps that freezer only has wild game in it)
Posted By: SMalloy805 Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
Originally Posted by frank500
Modern warriors gun shop is the reason I stop there
McKnights was the stop durring the 70's. They had a Big Buck contest..
Originally Posted by denton
One of the things hams do to amuse themselves is set up portable equipment in parks, and operate from there. On the other end of the link, there are hams who collect contacts with different parks. I just finished putting together my portable station.

One of the activities on this trip to SG was a portable operation at Gunlock State Park. It was really hard to endure: 70 degree weather, blue skies, people out on the water, trees just starting to leaf out.

It's a shame that Paul39 moved away. A few years ago, he and I had a fun lunch and a great session at the range when I came to visit.

If I'd have known that we'd have stopped by. We were there looking at the "Falls" yesterday.
Posted By: MikeS Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
Neat town. Lots of great mountain biking in the area as well.
Posted By: minengr Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
Been through there a couple times. Once on a geology field trip in college. Got some pictures of dinosaur tracks from there.
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
Nobody has mentioned Zion? Everyone should see it.

Veyo Pies is a must see/taste.

Lots of folks here buy retirement homes there and summer here (Ely, NV).

Virgin Valley Machine and Bulberry Gun works are in Hurricane

SG was a great little town in the 70's
Posted By: richj Re: St George, UT - 03/22/24
Was there in 2002. Saw BY southern home. Started trip in Durango

Anasazi cliff home
Cedar Breaks
Zion
Bryce
monument valley
Natural Bridges park

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: tikkanut Re: St George, UT - 03/23/24
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Nobody has mentioned Zion? Everyone should see it.

Veyo Pies is a must see/taste.

Lots of folks here buy retirement homes there and summer here (Ely, NV).

Virgin Valley Machine and Bulberry Gun works are in Hurricane

SG was a great little town in the 70's

Zion is a scenic/geographic wonderland

Hikers paradise.......photographers dream trip......

In the off season.....wayy to many people during peak season

Remember too April 1st-Oct 1st timed entry pass to enter the Park

Many Desert Sheep & deer roam along the park roads

Pics........ Oct '23

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Kenneth Re: St George, UT - 03/23/24
Was in SG about 3 years ago, May or June,

Temps already over 90,

Gets warm there…….
I'd compare SG to Moab

As the 2 weeks that surround Easter week Jeep Safari

Except for 50 weeks of the year

Jeep safari happening now in Moab actually

People go to the Safari from near & far....

I'll stay on the roads less traveled

Posted By: denton Re: St George, UT - 03/23/24
Here are some pix of interesting rocks I saw alongside the road....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

These are from a small detour on the way home from St. George. Kolob Canyon is part of Zion National Park, just off Hwy 15. It is not connected to the rest of the park by road, and gets far fewer visitors. So it's very enjoyable and peaceful.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: St George, UT - 03/23/24
Kolob Canyon is quite literally a hidden gem. You can't see any of it from the interstate, or even from the Ranger Station. But a half mile up the entrance road, you turn a corner and...

Your jaw drops.
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: St George, UT - 03/23/24
It’s about as hot as phoenix in the summer and winter is warmer but not that much warmer than salt lake area. It’s been a popular winter getaway for northern utah since the pioneers. It is more conservative and less tree hugger dumbchits than much areas of salt lake. It would be nice to have a seasonal condo there. But if I am that close to nevada. I think I live there and laugh not paying utahs state income tax just over the border.
Along with......

People drive like idiots in SG as well in any big metro area

https://www.ksl.com/article/5095981...ians-3-vehicles-in-st-george-parking-lot
Posted By: Steve Re: St George, UT - 03/24/24
Kolob Canyon is quite literally a hidden gem. You can't see any of it from the interstate, or even from the Ranger Station. But a half mile up the entrance road, you turn a corner and...

Your jaw drops.

It is spectacular.
Posted By: timber_nomad Re: St George, UT - 03/24/24
I love Utah, and St George in particular is very appealing... thank goodness for air conditioning though
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: St George, UT - 03/24/24
If I would ever decide to leave Ogden, I'd consider Hurricane. Still 'small town" unlike St G, and close to several fabulous bass lakes and Powell. One hour drive to cheap booze.

(In "Utahn" that city is pronounced "Herkun")
© 24hourcampfire