Home
Posted By: hanco Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
She seems determined this time, been smoking for 45 years. I’m praying she gets it done.
Posted By: Cecil56 Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Good for her!
Hope she's successful. Good luck to her.
Best thing she could do to improve her health.

P
Hope she doesn’t get as irritable as I do when I “quit” chewing.
Posted By: 160user Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Good for her! I have quit several times and finally just came to the conclusion that I find smoking relaxing and that I need to die from something anyway. I sincerely hope she kicks it. She may even get a little grumpy from time to time but just try to support her and understand her withdrawals.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by hanco
She seems determined this time, been smoking for 45 years. I’m praying she gets it done.
That’s cool and I hope she makes it hanco and it can be tough when they have withdrawns from nicotine just be a supportive as possible.
Posted By: memtb Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
I hope that she can see it through. Good Luck to the both of you! 😉 memtb
Posted By: gunzo Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Hope she can quit, a tough nut to crack. After several false starts, I got pissed at them & with my bullheadedness & quit cold turkey. Wife quit soon after but has since picked it back up. She has a few health issues, but the smokes will likely get her before the other things do.
Posted By: Alan_C Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Mr. Hanco, that’s some good news! I hope she kicks the habit for good. Good news for you entire family!
She may need an oral fixation. Be prepared , Hanco.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Good for her first month is the toughest, it was for me. If she drinks alcohol might slip a few times and light one up.
Posted By: Dinny Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
The worst, most painful deaths I've witnessed were smokers dying from cancer. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. I hope your wife quits for good!
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Hope she's successful. Good luck to her.

No doubt!
Posted By: hanco Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by Dinny
The worst, most painful deaths I've witnessed were smokers dying from cancer. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. I hope your wife quits for good!

She had the cancer screening thing a month ago, no sign of it. A friend of hers has lung cancer. Seeing that is where the determination is coming from I believe.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Good luck, hope she beats them. My wife smoked for about ten years and quit when we started thinking about kids.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Good news.
Do what you can to support her, so you don’t have to bury her.
Posted By: Alan_C Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
To celebrate this event, go buy “That” rifle !!! You will always remember when you bought it!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Smoking is the devil. Glad I never started.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Smoking is the devil. Glad I never started.

Me too, never had one in my mouth
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Good luck to both of you. Her’s is a wise decision and hopefully you two will have many years to dancing left.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Good for her and good luck lady. She may find food a bit more delicious now too.

It's amazing how difficult it is for some, and for others it's no issue. The gentleman that held my position before I was hired chain smoked for 30+ years. Yes, he used the last one to light the next one. Quit cold turkey the day he retired, but his wife stuck with it. Same in my family, my dad quit, but mom never could. Any item that comes out of her home still carries the evidence.

Our son moved in with some buddies post high school and got hooked in short order. Still hooked at age 34. One can always tell when he rises in the AM with his constant hacking and coughing. Most smokers I know today, are folks that can least afford it.

Also, have a neighbor with a severe hernia. Doc is refusing corrective surgery until he's been clean for 6 weeks.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
hanco,

tell her my secret (and that of many, many others including my old man when he quit).

Don't Smoke the First One..........

don't bum one thinking you'll just have one every once in awhile. Don't think you can have a substitute like the gum or lozenges.

Just don't do the first one.

Hoping for the best for her.

Another incentive, tell her to put aside 1/2 the cash she would have spent on the cigs at the end of every week. She'll be amazed in a month how much fun money she has.
My Dad read the Surgeon General's report in 1965 saying that smoking caused cancer, came home and watched the same report on TV. Right then he quit cold turkey, wife and her sister continued to smoke and it killed both of them. Both my wife's parents died of smoking related causes, father of emphsyma and mother of lung cancer. Neither of us smoke, one of my chores was to empty the trash, contents of the ashtrays were always on top. Just the stink of cigarette ashes swirling around my face was enough that I never took up the habit.
Is she using nicotine vape or gum or patch to ease the withdrawal?

Luck.
Good luck to your wife, Hanco !

I used Nicorette gum to help me quit many years ago.
If she tries it, you want to NOT immediately start chewing on it.
Just let it sit there like a hard candy.
Then after 10 minutes or more, bite down ONCE and then wait a long while and do it again etc.

Those that start chomping on this gum right away are the ones that say that they don't like it.
Posted By: silver78 Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
I sure hope she succeeds.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
A day after I quit, I could smell how bad it stinks.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Good luck👍
Good luck to your wife. It’s a tough habit to put down but absolutely doable.
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
I used chantix. Insurance used to pay 100%. Several years since I quit. As I recall you have to want to quit for chantix to work. It actually works on the brain receptors. I hope she is successful in her goal to quit.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by Dinny

She had the cancer screening thing a month ago, no sign of it. A friend of hers has lung cancer. Seeing that is where the determination is coming from I believe.

That ought to be a huge source of encouragement for her. Plenty of other reasons to quit as well, some health-related and some not, but this is great news for both of you. All the best.
Posted By: Osky Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
A very good friend of mine was a heavy smoker, and after 30 some years of it went and got hypnotized as a last resort.
Strong, successful smart guy I never thought it could work. Quit cold and still is after what 17 years.
Maybe a future option for you.

Osky
after 48 yrs puffin em put em down cold christmas a year ago
Good luck Mrs Hanco and to all you guys trying to quit or keep off of them. Lost my uncle and m-in-law to lung cancer and have a good friend that hasn’t been able to quit and I worry about the price she’s may have to pay someday for it.
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
I used chantix. Insurance used to pay 100%. Several years since I quit. As I recall you have to want to quit for chantix to work. It actually works on the brain receptors. I hope she is successful in her goal to quit.

She tried that, gave her bad dreams she said, don’t think she really wanted to then. Smoking killed her parents, aunts and uncles except one. Guess what, that aunt never smoked. Duh

It’s been about 3 weeks, taking me some getting used to. I’m used to her getting up, going outside every 45 minutes or so.
Good luck to her!

3 things I’m glad i didn’t pick up.. smoking , chewing , coffee.
Good luck; I hope she makes it. Quitting was the hardest thing I've ever done; I quit only when I wanted to quit more than I wanted to continue.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Wifey quit smoking again

It's WIFE not gay azz'ed Wifey
Originally Posted by jwp475
Wifey quit smoking again

She’s his woman, he can call her anything he wants.

P
Posted By: Windfall Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Good for her Hanco. The first wife smoked when I met her and I moved into her house and told her that the second hand smoke was bad for both me and the kids, so she said then buy us another house so she could smoke outside, so I did. She quit using the patches, but too late. Small cell carcinoma took her in a year. The thing about cancer cells is that the damn things don't stay home, they hitch a ride in the lymphatic system. The cancer went to her liver, bones and her brain. Seeing someone ratchet down day by day is tough on everyone and you are powerless to do anything about it.

When sis was going through medical school she had a cadaver guy that had been a smoker. She said that running a scalpel into that lung tissue was like running it into gravel with all those hard smoking caused nodules. Lungs don't work too well like that. That kind of thing would sure make a guy think twice about lighting up.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by jwp475
Wifey quit smoking again

She’s his woman, he can call her anything he wants.

P

You must be a gay azz also
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
How'd this get this far without a lubrication joke???
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
I bummed a Marlborough of my brother in law David in March of 80, my last smoke,
Posted By: Dinny Re: Wifey quit smoking again - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by 160user
Good for her! I have quit several times and finally just came to the conclusion that I find smoking relaxing and that I need to die from something anyway.

My wife works in a cancer center. Her patients exhibit a great deal of regret regarding smoking. Many of the patients have appointments for chemo or radiation treatments. Those treatments may only occur every 2-3 weeks at most and for some it may only be once every few months.

Many (most) of them come in 3-5 times a week to get the side effects treated. Common side effects are dehydration, constipation, iron deficiencies, malnutrition, and pain. Each time they come in for treatments their insurance companies are billed for screening, triage, and treatment from a RN, PA, NP, and the ocologist or hematologist. Many times the treatment plans include numerous prescription medications.

Even the best insurance plans require copays for visits and medications and have a maximum out-of-pocket limit of $5K or more. It really doesn't take long to exhaust one's savings when dealing with a terminal illness. Good luck if you think you'll have enough energy to sell anything you have to pay for your treatment. My wife's clinic has a high no-show rate and the #1 reason is because their patients struggle to even gather the energy to leave their bed somedays.

With all that said, I hope anyone who enjoys smoking remembers that habit has a longterm health and financial impact.

I sure hope I die from a sudden and massive heart blockage while I'm going "ten toes up and ten toes down" with my wife or some young bimbo. 🤪😜😁
© 24hourcampfire