Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Good luck to both of you. Her’s is a wise decision and hopefully you two will have many years to dancing left.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good for her and good luck lady. She may find food a bit more delicious now too.

It's amazing how difficult it is for some, and for others it's no issue. The gentleman that held my position before I was hired chain smoked for 30+ years. Yes, he used the last one to light the next one. Quit cold turkey the day he retired, but his wife stuck with it. Same in my family, my dad quit, but mom never could. Any item that comes out of her home still carries the evidence.

Our son moved in with some buddies post high school and got hooked in short order. Still hooked at age 34. One can always tell when he rises in the AM with his constant hacking and coughing. Most smokers I know today, are folks that can least afford it.

Also, have a neighbor with a severe hernia. Doc is refusing corrective surgery until he's been clean for 6 weeks.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/25/24.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
hanco,

tell her my secret (and that of many, many others including my old man when he quit).

Don't Smoke the First One..........

don't bum one thinking you'll just have one every once in awhile. Don't think you can have a substitute like the gum or lozenges.

Just don't do the first one.

Hoping for the best for her.

Another incentive, tell her to put aside 1/2 the cash she would have spent on the cigs at the end of every week. She'll be amazed in a month how much fun money she has.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My Dad read the Surgeon General's report in 1965 saying that smoking caused cancer, came home and watched the same report on TV. Right then he quit cold turkey, wife and her sister continued to smoke and it killed both of them. Both my wife's parents died of smoking related causes, father of emphsyma and mother of lung cancer. Neither of us smoke, one of my chores was to empty the trash, contents of the ashtrays were always on top. Just the stink of cigarette ashes swirling around my face was enough that I never took up the habit.

Last edited by gunswizard; 03/25/24.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Is she using nicotine vape or gum or patch to ease the withdrawal?

Luck.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Good luck to your wife, Hanco !

I used Nicorette gum to help me quit many years ago.
If she tries it, you want to NOT immediately start chewing on it.
Just let it sit there like a hard candy.
Then after 10 minutes or more, bite down ONCE and then wait a long while and do it again etc.

Those that start chomping on this gum right away are the ones that say that they don't like it.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I sure hope she succeeds.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A day after I quit, I could smell how bad it stinks.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Good luck👍

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck to your wife. It’s a tough habit to put down but absolutely doable.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used chantix. Insurance used to pay 100%. Several years since I quit. As I recall you have to want to quit for chantix to work. It actually works on the brain receptors. I hope she is successful in her goal to quit.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Dinny
The worst, most painful deaths I've witnessed were smokers dying from cancer. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. I hope your wife quits for good!

She had the cancer screening thing a month ago, no sign of it. A friend of hers has lung cancer. Seeing that is where the determination is coming from I believe.

That ought to be a huge source of encouragement for her. Plenty of other reasons to quit as well, some health-related and some not, but this is great news for both of you. All the best.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
A very good friend of mine was a heavy smoker, and after 30 some years of it went and got hypnotized as a last resort.
Strong, successful smart guy I never thought it could work. Quit cold and still is after what 17 years.
Maybe a future option for you.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
after 48 yrs puffin em put em down cold christmas a year ago

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good luck Mrs Hanco and to all you guys trying to quit or keep off of them. Lost my uncle and m-in-law to lung cancer and have a good friend that hasn’t been able to quit and I worry about the price she’s may have to pay someday for it.

Fear the crabcat.
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by BOBBALEE
I used chantix. Insurance used to pay 100%. Several years since I quit. As I recall you have to want to quit for chantix to work. It actually works on the brain receptors. I hope she is successful in her goal to quit.

She tried that, gave her bad dreams she said, don’t think she really wanted to then. Smoking killed her parents, aunts and uncles except one. Guess what, that aunt never smoked. Duh

It’s been about 3 weeks, taking me some getting used to. I’m used to her getting up, going outside every 45 minutes or so.

Last edited by hanco; 03/26/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck to her!

3 things I’m glad i didn’t pick up.. smoking , chewing , coffee.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Good luck; I hope she makes it. Quitting was the hardest thing I've ever done; I quit only when I wanted to quit more than I wanted to continue.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Wifey quit smoking again

It's WIFE not gay azz'ed Wifey

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jwp475
Wifey quit smoking again

It's WIFE not gay azz'ed Wifey

She’s his woman, he can call her anything he wants.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,685
Posts18,475,096
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.