Home
Posted By: wabigoon After my Dad died. - 03/26/24
My life sort of started out new again.

Any of you folks?
Posted By: earlybrd Re: After my Dad died. - 03/26/24
Just turned a page in life for me
Posted By: Fishnnut1 Re: After my Dad died. - 03/26/24
Kinda thinking that’s what’s gonna happen when mine passes.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: After my Dad died. - 03/26/24
Some folks might try to see how dumb you are.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: After my Dad died. - 03/26/24
It occurred to me that I'm the last domino in the Raab chain. When I go, there's nobody to carry on the name.
Gilbert is the last here, It only takes one.
Even if you a not religious, look up the story of Aberham, and Issac.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Is that what happend to you?
Mine passed way too early at 59. I took him fishing that morning and had lunch with him. He passed from a heart attack that evening. I still miss him and it has been 28 years
Some one might post, Wayfaring Stranger.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: After my Dad died. - 03/26/24
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It occurred to me that I'm the last domino in the Raab chain. When I go, there's nobody to carry on the name.

Same here. My brother died in 2006 at the age of 45yo. His son died in 2014 at 25yo. I had 2 daughters, so the family name ends with me. We just put my mom in hospice 2 weeks ago. I'll be the last one standing.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: After my Dad died. - 03/26/24

Sumwon mite knot

-Confucius
Posted By: JMR40 Re: After my Dad died. - 03/26/24
Dad died in 2013, one week short of 90. He REALLY wanted to make it to 90. Dad had been in remarkably good health most of his life, but he passed out 13 months before he died. His heart simply stopped for 30 seconds or so and he revived on his own. He spent about a month in the hospital getting a pacemaker and rehab.

He never really got over that. The last year of his life was a struggle that was hard to watch. He made his peace and was ready to go. Knowing that and watching him struggle made his passing easier.
I keep asking people to wear a PFD on water. My Dad drowned on Wabigoon Lake in 1984.
His boat sink?
I keep asking people to wear a PFD on water. My Dad drowned on Wabigoon Lake in 1984.

Why don't you ask them to take swimming lessons instead?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: After my Dad died. - 03/26/24
Were you guys born azzwipes, or did you decide to become one?
Posted By: slumlord Re: After my Dad died. - 03/26/24
5 min open and shut case study
Rocky, God told Aberham to kill, sacrifice his only son Issac. Aberham was going to do it.
Were you guys born azzwipes, or did you decide to become one?

Aw shucks Rokky, i'n sowry.

Can we be frens and talk Aberham n' Issac :>?
Posted By: AZmark Re: After my Dad died. - 03/26/24
My dad passed in 2001 at 84yo, he was ready and he told me after a heart attack and his last of 2 heart stents and recovery was very hard for him and he said "no more" but he went 3yrs after the heart attack. Gave me time to spend with him telling me about his family's immigration from Italy, and a little about the war, it was a fun time but it was still a hard time. He was a first generation American and proud of it and a WW2 combat vet from the South Pacific islands. Died sitting in his pickup when taking the trash out to a dumpster about 1/4 mile from the house.

I was 47yo and had 2 boys in high school, when they stayed with him and my Mom he took them fishing and shooting, and taught them to drive his old Ford stick pickup when they were underage, he'd drive down to the end of the driveway out of sight from the house so my mom couldn't see and stop and switch places with them, they would drive him 30 miles to the nearest town to a store/bakery and get fresh bread and ice cream.

I've already had my 9yo grandson out driving my 47 Willys 3 speed, got 3 more Gkids to teach when they get tall enough. Take them shooting, fishing, out to get ice cream every chance I get. Ride mini bikes with them.

Things do change..............enjoy life while you got it.
Posted By: slumlord Re: After my Dad died. - 03/26/24
Abraham is the spelling my King James

The church of lady pastor must be teaching you different.
My favorite cousin also died from drowning while fishing. A neighbor called his camp and said his boat was anchored and he wasnt in it. I hopped into my boat and raced up there and he was gone. They never figured out what happened and he could swim.
A former Pastor, and his daughter drowned on Leech Lake, Both were good swimmers.
Posted By: carrollco Re: After my Dad died. - 03/26/24
Last in my line too. My youngest son had 2 girls; oldest never married and has no children that we are aware of. Middle son is my stepson;had him since since age 7 when his biological dad died in the line of duty as a police chief. He has a son but doesn’t share my last name. Saddens me to think of it. I had 3 brothers, 2 of them had girls and the youngest never married. They’re all deceased.
Posted By: Ackleyman Re: After my Dad died. - 03/26/24
My Dad died at 71 from a heart attack in '04 after a year of failing health. Way too soon for me, I miss him everyday. We spent a lot of time together and I have lots of great memories. I am lucky to have a son and a new grandson to carry on the family name. I plan to spend as much time as I can with both of them. I hope they will have great memories of me when I am gone.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: After my Dad died. - 03/26/24
My father’s death, when I was 12, was the happiest day of my life up to that point.
Thessalonians 4:13-18
Posted By: kwg020 Re: After my Dad died. - 03/26/24
I have one son and one grandson. I had 3 brothers. None of them had kids. 2 brothers left. My one daughter had a girl. Out of all of my cousins only a couple had boys and the last I knew, none of the boys had kids or they had girls. It all boils down to my grandson.

He's 9 and I'm not going to drop a big guilt trip on him. Unless there is one out there I don't know about, he's the last of 5 generations in this country to carry on the name.

kwg
Posted By: hardway Re: After my Dad died. - 03/26/24
A former Pastor, and his daughter drowned on Leech Lake, Both were good swimmers.

Doesn’t’ sound lyke it 😔
Posted By: Clarkm Re: After my Dad died. - 03/26/24
My father had a huge 90th birthday party and died two weeks later of pneumonia.

He was struck blind at 82, so I took him out to lunch every saturday for 8 years.

What crushed me was when the hospital turned up the painkiller and turned down the Oxygen... I knew they were killing him.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
Originally Posted by Reloder28
My father’s death, when I was 12, was the happiest day of my life up to that point.

Well that caught me by surprise.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24

Any of you folks?

Please have Gilbert post when you actually die...

Thanks
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24

Any of you folks?

Depends on how you define “new,” I suppose.

If “new” means a hole that can never be filled then yeah, new.

P
Posted By: earlybrd Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
Any theeries or leeds?
Posted By: RHClark Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
I envy you guys who had good relationships with your fathers. Mine never had one with me. I'm grateful to him for lots of things. He did feed me, but I worked hard for my room and board. It did me good though. Dad just never had any spare time because he was either working or chasing strange tail. Mom put up with a lot over the years, and I watched her cry a lot. I never hated dad, just never spent any time with him.

He's still alive,80 and hasn't spoken to me in 6 years except when I was going through a bad financial time, wife had acquired 100K in CC debt, he tried to low ball me on a piece of land and equipment I was selling. I wish him well, but I would hate to have so little to do with my children and grandchildren. BTW Dad only lives about 20 minuets away. Yes, I did try just visiting him myself, but honestly, he isn't happy to see you and he will try to take advantage of you if possible. I still wish him well though.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Any theeries or leeds?

Swallowed too much water.
Posted By: slumlord Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
Daddy wasn’t there

To take to the fair

lol

Posted By: IA_fog Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
Didn’t really care much or miss my adopted dad he passed in 1996
Met my sperm donor later in life he passed in 2022 didnt give a rats ass bout him actually wish never met him
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
If he is still alive be glad you have your dad. I found mine after he committed suicide in '74. Long time without him. He never met his grandson. And no, time doesn't heal all wounds. Again enjoy them if you have them. RZ.
Posted By: Davelefty Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
My father was a Christian man, devoted husband, loving father and great caregiver to my sister and mom. He found his dream job in early 1970, however, he didn't accrue vacation time until one year of service and worked most Saturdays during hunting season. Christmas morning in 1970 I was gifted my first firearm - an Ithaca Model 29 .22 LR. Our plan was to go on my first hunting trip ever for squirrels that next day, after since it was Saturday and dad didn't have to work. Early that next morning, he was stricken with a cerebral aneurysm. He was 41 and I was 12 years old. Medical science circa 1970 wasn't what it is today. He was rushed to the hospital in a horrible snow storm and underwent brain surgery. Sadly, he was left permanently disabled (both physically and mentally) and unable to work or fully function the rest of his life. Our amazing mom cared for him for 25 years - at home. Further, she even took me hunting in some cold, miserable conditions until family friends were able to after I turned age 14. He passed in 1996.

Fellow hunters and outdoorsmen/women - regardless of your differences, treasure every outing and moment with your family. I can't tell you how many times I regret never being able to hunt with my dad.
Posted By: BadHabit Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
The last time I saw him was at my brother's funeral 12-26-98. Of course my dad had all of his drug buddies at my brother's house stealing everything during the funeral. Some whacko finally strangled him and beat him to death with a pool stick about 6 years ago. I would piss on his grave but my sister had him cremated. Everybody is better without him. I smile thinking he knew I had kids knowingnt hat he would never get to meet them. Yes- I am an [bleep] like that. There is a lot more but that is the jist of everything. The only thing I knew growing up is knowing I didn't want to be like him. And yes- I am VERY successful.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Any theeries or leeds?

Swallowed too much water.
L9kn9ss m9nst9r m9ybe?
Posted By: Simplepeddler Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
My dad is 84 now. In his prime he was MUCH a man and is still my hero. We don’t always see eye to eye, but daddy never let those things get in the way of loving me and letting me know he always had my back.

His love is absolutely unconditional.
He was a passionate when whipping my a$$ as he is when letting me know he loved me.

Remarkable man in many many ways.

I dread the day I know is coming, choking back tears now just thinking about it.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24

I’m not really good at this stuff, hope I got the right wun.

Posted By: add Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24

The9 were knot
Posted By: ironbender Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
Originally Posted by Tide_Change

I’m not really good at this stuff, hope I got the right wun.

🤣🤣
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
Originally Posted by BadHabit
The last time I saw him was at my brother's funeral 12-26-98. Of course my dad had all of his drug buddies at my brother's house stealing everything during the funeral. Some whacko finally strangled him and beat him to death with a pool stick about 6 years ago. I would piss on his grave but my sister had him cremated. Everybody is better without him. I smile thinking he knew I had kids knowingnt hat he would never get to meet them. Yes- I am an [bleep] like that. There is a lot more but that is the jist of everything. The only thing I knew growing up is knowing I didn't want to be like him. And yes- I am VERY successful.

Dang.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
Guess I’m lucky as hell. Old man is a better man than I’ll ever be. He’s one of those real Christian’s that never tells anyone he is, they know it by how he lives. Man of actions not words. Worked his ass off, provided for his family, stayed true to his wife and would give anyone the shirt off his back.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Guess I’m lucky as hell. Old man is a better man than I’ll ever be. He’s one of those real Christian’s that never tells anyone he is, they know it by how he lives. Man of actions not words. Worked his ass off, provided for his family, stayed true to his wife and would give anyone the shirt off his back.

He had some health troubles a few years ago I remember?

How is he?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
You peepols is shlackin.

Not mine but seems apropos for the convo.

And it's just a badass song.

Posted By: RUM7 Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: norm99 Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
I have 4 grand sons to carry my name on , and lots of uncles sons to carry on my moms maiden name.

Norm
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
My dad passed away on Oct. 1 while he was living at our house at 93. He was still doing fairly well till the end, some kind of cardiac event. It was fairly quick and seemed to be quite painless. He had outlived all his friends and was ready to go. Much better than rotting in a hospital bed with tubes down your throat and up your dick. About a clean of an exit as you could hope for. Good end for a good man.

But yeah, it sure leaves a hole in your life than will never be filled.
Posted By: tdoyka Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
my dad died when he was 71yo. the night he died, he was going to the Clevland Heart Clinic early the next morning. Dad went to sleep and sometime later he had a massive heart attack.

it will be 2 years since he died. everyday i think about him. everyday i miss him. my dad has 3 sons and 4 grandsons. they say that time will heal all wounds, BS, it never gets better.
Posted By: CCCC Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
After my Dad died I began to realize much, much more about how great a man he was. I loved him dearly as he did all of us - that was the simple norm - and for 70 years I had somehow taken his excellent qualities and actions for granted.

Weren't all dads like mine? I assumed so when a kid. Brilliant, very athletic, strong Christian, always learning, hard working, true to my Mom and our family in every way, tough yet kind and loving, made sure we had everything we needed and just a bit of what we wanted. Built a career from zero scratch and contributed to most of the lives around him.

I am grateful that he and I had such wonderful times together and that I was able to tell and show him that I loved and appreciated him. But, after he left here it became more and more clear that I had not done enough. Given my experience as a father and the still growing evidence that all dads are not the same, the memory of Dad is more and more touching.
Posted By: GWPGUY Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
Mornin, yep miss him big time! We used to hunt, trap, fish together. I not only lost my father but also my best friend. Mom died to young (cancer). Dad was last of his generation, all brothers died way before him. Even with him around I still felt childish now & again, once he was gone you feel all alone & it's about time to put on your big boy pants & grow up!! GWPGUY. 🐾👣🇨🇦
Posted By: JamesJr Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
Mine died when I was 22, he was 52. That was 52 years ago, and I often find myself wishing he'd lived long enough for my kids to have known him. I believe that children benefit from having a good relationship with grandparents, as I know I did. I was very fortunate to have had the best grandparents anyone could have asked for, and I am trying to be that to my grandkids.
Posted By: ihookem Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
On April 20 th it will be 7 yrs. We were not all that close , we even argued a lot. he was loud, outspoken and gave out way too many opinions. I, like my mom , am much more soft spoken, and would much rather not say much until I have to.. I'm sure I have avoided much trouble in my life by talking a little less. The 1st year I was miserable. The second year was a little better. Now, after 7 yrs. I am not bummed out about it. I still miss his phone calls to ask if I saw any deer or got any fish. I'm ok with it now,, even joke about it sometimes. My son,, crazy as it sounds is almost exactly like both of us mixed together. My son, like my dad , very hard working, and outspoken. Me, I would take off any time I can to go fishing or hunting. I am a big money saver,, but then will spend if the price is right.. Dad hardly spent an extra dime. Scolded me once for buying a 15 cent soda after winning a little league game.. He would have thrown a fit if he knew mom treated the whole team to a soda. He was that frugal. He went fast. He was even making bid houses till two weeks before he died and worked in the yard the week before he died , but sat down and said, I just cant do it anymore. A few weeks late , he goes to the hospital and 4 days later he died.. Glad it was not a long prolonged disabled death.. That is my biggest fear.
Posted By: dassa Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24

Any of you folks?
I didn't know your dad, so his passing didn't really affect me at all.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Mine died when I was 22, he was 52. That was 52 years ago, and I often find myself wishing he'd lived long enough for my kids to have known him. I believe that children benefit from having a good relationship with grandparents, as I know I did. I was very fortunate to have had the best grandparents anyone could have asked for, and I am trying to be that to my grandkids.

It's apparently not as common or important to used to be.
Posted By: Raeford Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
Dad is kickin at 89.
He had a major stroke last September, 1 month to the day after mom died.
They had been divorced for over 40 years.
Dad pulled a couple of crazies after they divorced but mom always said "at least he never left you boys, I'm thankful for that"

In a years time we went from having two parents that were still capable of providing/living on their own for their 88 & 89 years of life, to having just dad who spent 5 weeks hospitalized while recovering. He's almost back to 100% now, no walker or cane needed and speech improves every time I talk with him.
Our son is a shining star to him along with the two great grandsons.
Very happy that we still have one parent at least.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
The most common drowning involving men fishing alone happens when he stands up to pee overboard and loses his balance. Pitching in kicks the boat away, and he never catches it. Or the water is cold enough to shock him. When they find the body, his fly is open.
Where did you read that?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
Runing the outboard, wear that safety lanyard, the propeller can kill you.
Posted By: LRoyJetson Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
Originally Posted by dassa

Any of you folks?
I didn't know your dad, so his passing didn't really affect me at all.

He asked....... laugh
Posted By: carrollco Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
I miss mine every day. He was a complex man had his own demons. He was a lifelong trucker, bartender/bouncer in a beer joint that had an illegal gambling sideline. He provided protection and kept the peace. He did this Jan - March when his trucking firm laid him off as he was the last hire. He was a crappie fisherman extrordiane and loved to duck hunt primarily at 27 Break on the Mississippi River north of Greenville, alone. He love frog grabbing, rabbit hunting and squirrel hunting. He instilled a love for the outdoors and a strong work ethic in me. He was a powerful man, redheaded with a quick temper and fast hands. Extremely loyal to friends and underdogs. He was a master mechanic and loved fast cars and raced 32 Fords with flatheads on dirt tracks. Died of a second stroke at age 62. The first sapped his strength and left him weak on his left side. He, like Clayton Delaney, got religion in the end. He made a mark on many.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
WOW, some of you guys didn't have good fathers, I was lucky my father was really cool!

Here is an example:

So at 16 I get my drivers license which arrived by mail. Called my father at work and told him I can now drive a car "Legally" lol.

Later that day my father shows up at home with an unfamiliar car and says " Well since you can drive now, I need you to take the car I borrowed from a friend to get home, here is the address. Drive my car back home because it's at their house.

So I hop in the car an drive to the address my father gave me and knock on the door. A woman answers the door in the skimpiest of nightgowns with a G-String and a Frontless bra and invites me in. She says she didn't have any cash to pay for the car delivery and took me by the hand to her bedroom and screw my brains out for several hours. Then I drove my fathers car home lol.

My father also took me on hunts on private islands that he best friend owned, I really miss my father, he was my best friend!
Posted By: carrollco Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
You don’t get to choose your parents or the family you are born into.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24

Any of you folks?
Not really. I don’t think I ever knew your dad.
Posted By: mike243 Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
Hate to hear about your dad, never had a real 1 just stepdads. Had some bad role models but I was smart enough to not follow in their footsteps, lost a part of me when mom died but have a great wife son and 2 grandkids that keep me going, got some good friends that put up with me also lol, when 1 door closes another 1 opens I have read, reckon it could be looked at it like that because directions change along with goals.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I was lucky my father was really cool!

Here is an example:

Later that day my father shows up at home with an unfamiliar car and says " Well since you can drive now, I need you to take the car I borrowed from a friend to get home, here is the address. Drive my car back home because it's at their house.

So I hop in the car an drive to the address my father gave me and knock on the door. A woman answers the door in the skimpiest of nightgowns with a G-String and a Frontless bra and invites me in. She says she didn't have any cash to pay for the car delivery and took me by the hand to her bedroom and screw my brains out for several hours. Then I drove my fathers car home lol.

NICE!!!

Now tell us about the time you were grounded while your dad was out of town on business but your step mom got wine drunk and snuck into your room and started telling you how lonely she was. One thing led to another and she told you anal wasn't cheating.
Posted By: KillerBee Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24

Here is an example:

an

NICE!!!

Now tell us about the time you were grounded while your dad was out of town on business but your step mom got wine drunk and snuck into your room and started telling you how lonely she was. One thing led to another and she told you anal wasn't cheating.

Unfortunately my mother and father didn't divorce until I was in my 20's so she was at home.

My father being a good looking man as well as an atheist had girlfriends everywhere.

When I got home that day after the adventure with his secretary, he said "I hope you enjoyed your reward AND DON'T TELL YOUR MOTHER!!!!!
Posted By: mirage243 Re: After my Dad died. - 03/27/24

Here is an example:

NICE!!!

Lmfao 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: JD338 Re: After my Dad died. - 03/28/24
I lost my Dad 8 years ago today.
I miss him.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: After my Dad died. - 03/28/24
My Dad died in 1985 from cancer, he was 42, I was 21 and oldest of five. Tough times.

My Mom is in hospice tonight. We will miss her, but she lived a good life of 81 years.
Posted By: gaperry59 Re: After my Dad died. - 03/28/24

Rocky, I'm about to turn 54. If you go before I do, I'll remember you.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: After my Dad died. - 03/28/24
www.prideangel.com
Posted By: WileyC Re: After my Dad died. - 03/28/24
My Dad left this world in 1974 when he was 44 and I was 17. I miss him every day. Kinda sorta raised myself working all over the country. Not the best of early adulthood years but I learned a trade and stuck with it. Those of you that still have your Dad need to take in every second that you can with him and cherish it. He will be leaving some day.
Posted By: Lonny Re: After my Dad died. - 03/28/24
Originally Posted by mirage243

Here is an example:

NICE!!!

Lmfao 🤣🤣🤣🤣

LMAFO X2 laugh
© 24hourcampfire