Home
Posted By: kelbro .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
Never heard of it before. The wife hurt her wrist and can no longer rack the slide on her Kimber or Sig. Went to look at the S&W Shield EZ and we came home with one in .30 Super Carry. Fast. Plenty of power, quick recovery between shots, not quite as snappy as a 9mm but much easier for her to shoot than an LCP or LCR.

What's the acceptance so far of this caliber from the 'gun people'?

Will this caliber survive or is it the next .327 Fed Mag?

I'm stocking up on blasting ammo but concerned about Personal Defense ammo availability in the future.

Thanks
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]hp keyboard diagnostic
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
Will go the way of 357 sig...
Posted By: asheepdog Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
I don’t think it’s gonna be around long term, but that’s just my opinion. My thoughts are stock up on components if you reload, if not, stock up on ammo. Glad your wife has something she can still shoot with her bad wrist. Certainly beats harsh language.
Posted By: Border Doc Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
I bought one recently and like it quite a bit already. I found one online for $279 plus tax. The S & W Shield EZ shoots the practice FMJ Remington fine with brief break-in range sessions, but I need to spend more time with it.

I have similar concerns about the future of the cartridge, ammo availability and components, but that is the new normal. Until the regime changes. I already load for 32 Long and 32 H & R, so lots of shared powders and bullets on hand.

So far, performance is reliable, recoil just a little less than from an M & P 9mm, and no problems getting commercial ammo from local and online retailers. My 380 EZ will become trade material. I think, so far, the 30 SC is a better product in the same sized package with a boost in magazine capacity, if you care.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
What's the advantage over the 7.62X25 in the CZ-52 pistol? I've got one of them that I bought mail order back when I had a C&R license. It launches a .30 caliber FMJ at 1300+ FPS, and supposedly penetrates light body armor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_52#:~:text=52%2C%20for%20(vz.,Strakonice%20from%201952%20to%201954.
Posted By: slowr1der Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
The caliber is already dying. That's why you see Shield Pluses chambered in it at dirt cheap clearance prices on a regular basis.

Imo, the size and increased magazine capacity is nice, but otherwise there isn't much good about it. It takes an already unimpressive round imo (9mm) and makes it a worse performer. It also takes away the main benefit of 9mm, which is the cost. My LGS sells 9mm for $10.99 a box, for comparison their cheapest 30 Super Carry is $22.99 per box. It just makes it a hard sell in my opinion.

It's more a closer comparison to 380, but the advantage to 380 is that you can get it in tiny pistols that you can pocket carry. You don't get that advantage with 30SC either. The only advantage you get at all over the existing choices is a slightly increased capacity, while giving up performance and doubling the price.
Posted By: ribka Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
Originally Posted by kelbro
Never heard of it before. The wife hurt her wrist and can no longer rack the slide on her Kimber or Sig. Went to look at the S&W Shield EZ and we came home with one in .30 Super Carry. Fast. Plenty of power, quick recovery between shots, not quite as snappy as a 9mm but much easier for her to shoot than an LCP or LCR.

I'm stocking up on blasting ammo but concerned about Personal Defense ammo availability in the future.

Thanks

lol. she can't grab the slide?

put her in assisted living
Posted By: Jcubed Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
Revolver?

I know it's not "cool" anymore.

How many popular super cartridges can you name?
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
it was a marginal answer to a question no one was asking.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24

Thanks

Had to Google...

The math is just under 7.62x25.

7.62x25 is a wicked little round.
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Will go the way of 357 sig...

357 Sig is still around, and very prevalent, if that's what you meant.

VSP has had the .357 Sig in rotation since 2004.
Posted By: drop_point Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
Invest in physical therapy, not a new gun.
Posted By: LBP Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
Originally Posted by Border Doc
I bought one recently and like it quite a bit already. I found one online for $279 plus tax. The S & W Shield EZ shoots the practice FMJ Remington fine with brief break-in range sessions, but I need to spend more time with it.

I have similar concerns about the future of the cartridge, ammo availability and components, but that is the new normal. Until the regime changes. I already load for 32 Long and 32 H & R, so lots of shared powders and bullets on hand.

So far, performance is reliable, recoil just a little less than from an M & P 9mm, and no problems getting commercial ammo from local and online retailers. My 380 EZ will become trade material. I think, so far, the 30 SC is a better product in the same sized package with a boost in magazine capacity, if you care.

Isn’t the .30 Super Carry built on the 9mm EZ? It’s a little bigger than the .380 EZ?
Posted By: 86thecat Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
She can hook the rear sight on something stable and just force the gun forward to rack slide in an emergency. There are taller squared off sights available to help. Isn't that a drill in case one hand is injured? Might be good to teach her that technique.
Posted By: Slavek Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
What's the advantage over the 7.62X25 in the CZ-52 pistol? I've got one of them that I bought mail order back when I had a C&R license. It launches a .30 caliber FMJ at 1300+ FPS, and supposedly penetrates light body armor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_52#:~:text=52%2C%20for%20(vz.,Strakonice%20from%201952%20to%201954.

The Tokatev round is only available in large pistols. Newest rendition is Chinese NP725 which is about same size as G45 which it emulates. The older NP762 is about same size as P226, large duty style pistols.
Posted By: Garandimal Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24

Thanks

Better than a .380 ACP micro, but is starting way back in the pack.

Would buy a lifetime supply of both training and duty ammo for it.

.357Sig 140 FP/147 XTP is stacked high and deep for the same reason.

GR
Posted By: Border Doc Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
The S & W Shield EZs appear to be built on a commonly sized action, smaller than the M & P, larger than the Shield Plus, and the stats from the manufacturer are available, but that info was not a factor in my purchase. The 380's seem to be low on both power and penetration and the 30 Super Carry does not share those shortcomings. It behaves much like the 9mm.

Part of shooting and reloading is the learning involved and this new cartridge is providing me with new questions and new lessons. I originally had a few firearms that were the start of learning the fundamentals of shooting and reloading and then I was enticed to explore further, expanding the envelope, as we might say. I ventured into wildcats, AIs, new and different powders and all kinds of guns and sights. Now I am viscerally involved in finding answers with an innovative cartridge and an intriguing gun. I applaud advancements in engineering, design and production in whatever direction it takes us and try to encourage a sense of adventure in students, kids and friends. I also appreciate the traditional, routine, everyday reliability of stuff that works, so this 30 Super Carry experiment keeps my mind engaged with a fresh idea while I enjoy retirement.

Some new cartridges become commercially successful, which is one way to measure achievement, while others have floundered, without support from the manufacturer or sportsmen. Let us see where this round is headed on its merits, not our prejudgment. I am enjoying the journey.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
Looks like a cool round
Posted By: rainshot Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
I don’t know much about it but if sales support production the ammo will become cheaper. The 9mm has huge sales and so follows the support. Anything new is going to have to prove its worth before large runs bring the prices down. Just my thoughts.
Posted By: HunterShooter58 Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
A friend of mine just bought one and loves it. I like everything that I read about it.
Love the specs and the round. It's a lot more compact than the .30 Auto mag from yesteryear.

HS 58
Posted By: 700LH Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
Reinventing the 9 mm luger 100 years later, odds are it will die a slow death like most new and improved cartridges
Posted By: LBP Re: .30 Super Carry - 03/31/24
As EZ’s go the .380 is definitely a slightly smaller pistol than the 9mm EZ I’ve examined both side by side, I’ve just not seen a .30 SC to compare.
Posted By: kelbro Re: .30 Super Carry - 04/01/24
The 380 EZ frame is a little smaller. This one is the same size as the 9mm frame. We shot a box of hardball through it yesterday. Very accurate pistol with minimal recoil. She loves it and was able to shoot it well. Needs a speedloader for the mags.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: .30 Super Carry - 04/01/24
The 380 EZ frame is a little smaller. This one is the same size as the 9mm frame. We shot a box of hardball through it yesterday. Very accurate pistol with minimal recoil. She loves it and was able to shoot it well. Needs a speedloader for the mags.

Can you tell how loud it is compared to a 9mm. I read that they are pretty loud.
Posted By: kelbro Re: .30 Super Carry - 04/01/24
We had muffs on but it sounded about like a 9mm.
Posted By: Border Doc Re: .30 Super Carry - 04/02/24
I'm not Kelbro, but my range time always involves muffs, so it all sounds "muffled". I can't tell any difference (decibels) between the 30 SC and a 9mm shooting the same weight bullets, but the 4" 30 is noticeably less noisy than a 4" 357 and a lot less bothersome than the Ruger 30 Carbine Blackhawk. My perception may be suspect, others may have younger/better hearing. I'm not unbiased about the 30 SC, so I'm not any authority, but I don't think it makes as much noise as a hot load in a 38 snubby. I still advise hearing protection.

I have read stories about guns, ballistics, powders, etc. that took me in, thinking that some sort of magic was involved in this or that new (or old) thing. In the past 50 years or so I have learned to take those articles as opinions and consider them as entertainment, amusement or a hint of a new idea that MAY warrant some investigation. Fortunately, most of us get a chance to experiment or to try a friend's gun or have a face to face conversation from an objective viewer.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: .30 Super Carry - 04/02/24
My brother in law had a stroke 2 years ago. His left side ain’t much. I showed him how to rack the slide on his Glock by putting the slide just below the front sight on the edge of a table. Push down holding the grip, the slide moves back all the way. Ease up, the slide moves forward and strips a round off the magazine. Easy.

P
© 24hourcampfire