Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kelbro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Never heard of it before. The wife hurt her wrist and can no longer rack the slide on her Kimber or Sig. Went to look at the S&W Shield EZ and we came home with one in .30 Super Carry. Fast. Plenty of power, quick recovery between shots, not quite as snappy as a 9mm but much easier for her to shoot than an LCP or LCR.

What's the acceptance so far of this caliber from the 'gun people'?

Will this caliber survive or is it the next .327 Fed Mag?

I'm stocking up on blasting ammo but concerned about Personal Defense ammo availability in the future.

Thanks

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Will go the way of 357 sig...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don’t think it’s gonna be around long term, but that’s just my opinion. My thoughts are stock up on components if you reload, if not, stock up on ammo. Glad your wife has something she can still shoot with her bad wrist. Certainly beats harsh language.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one recently and like it quite a bit already. I found one online for $279 plus tax. The S & W Shield EZ shoots the practice FMJ Remington fine with brief break-in range sessions, but I need to spend more time with it.

I have similar concerns about the future of the cartridge, ammo availability and components, but that is the new normal. Until the regime changes. I already load for 32 Long and 32 H & R, so lots of shared powders and bullets on hand.

So far, performance is reliable, recoil just a little less than from an M & P 9mm, and no problems getting commercial ammo from local and online retailers. My 380 EZ will become trade material. I think, so far, the 30 SC is a better product in the same sized package with a boost in magazine capacity, if you care.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What's the advantage over the 7.62X25 in the CZ-52 pistol? I've got one of them that I bought mail order back when I had a C&R license. It launches a .30 caliber FMJ at 1300+ FPS, and supposedly penetrates light body armor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_52#:~:text=52%2C%20for%20(vz.,Strakonice%20from%201952%20to%201954.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The caliber is already dying. That's why you see Shield Pluses chambered in it at dirt cheap clearance prices on a regular basis.

Imo, the size and increased magazine capacity is nice, but otherwise there isn't much good about it. It takes an already unimpressive round imo (9mm) and makes it a worse performer. It also takes away the main benefit of 9mm, which is the cost. My LGS sells 9mm for $10.99 a box, for comparison their cheapest 30 Super Carry is $22.99 per box. It just makes it a hard sell in my opinion.

It's more a closer comparison to 380, but the advantage to 380 is that you can get it in tiny pistols that you can pocket carry. You don't get that advantage with 30SC either. The only advantage you get at all over the existing choices is a slightly increased capacity, while giving up performance and doubling the price.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kelbro
Never heard of it before. The wife hurt her wrist and can no longer rack the slide on her Kimber or Sig. Went to look at the S&W Shield EZ and we came home with one in .30 Super Carry. Fast. Plenty of power, quick recovery between shots, not quite as snappy as a 9mm but much easier for her to shoot than an LCP or LCR.

I'm stocking up on blasting ammo but concerned about Personal Defense ammo availability in the future.

Thanks

lol. she can't grab the slide?

put her in assisted living

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Revolver?

I know it's not "cool" anymore.

How many popular super cartridges can you name?

Last edited by Jcubed; 03/31/24.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
it was a marginal answer to a question no one was asking.

Sam......

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Thanks

Had to Google...

The math is just under 7.62x25.

7.62x25 is a wicked little round.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Will go the way of 357 sig...

357 Sig is still around, and very prevalent, if that's what you meant.

VSP has had the .357 Sig in rotation since 2004.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Invest in physical therapy, not a new gun.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Border Doc
I bought one recently and like it quite a bit already. I found one online for $279 plus tax. The S & W Shield EZ shoots the practice FMJ Remington fine with brief break-in range sessions, but I need to spend more time with it.

I have similar concerns about the future of the cartridge, ammo availability and components, but that is the new normal. Until the regime changes. I already load for 32 Long and 32 H & R, so lots of shared powders and bullets on hand.

So far, performance is reliable, recoil just a little less than from an M & P 9mm, and no problems getting commercial ammo from local and online retailers. My 380 EZ will become trade material. I think, so far, the 30 SC is a better product in the same sized package with a boost in magazine capacity, if you care.

Isn’t the .30 Super Carry built on the 9mm EZ? It’s a little bigger than the .380 EZ?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
She can hook the rear sight on something stable and just force the gun forward to rack slide in an emergency. There are taller squared off sights available to help. Isn't that a drill in case one hand is injured? Might be good to teach her that technique.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
What's the advantage over the 7.62X25 in the CZ-52 pistol? I've got one of them that I bought mail order back when I had a C&R license. It launches a .30 caliber FMJ at 1300+ FPS, and supposedly penetrates light body armor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CZ_52#:~:text=52%2C%20for%20(vz.,Strakonice%20from%201952%20to%201954.

The Tokatev round is only available in large pistols. Newest rendition is Chinese NP725 which is about same size as G45 which it emulates. The older NP762 is about same size as P226, large duty style pistols.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks

Better than a .380 ACP micro, but is starting way back in the pack.

Would buy a lifetime supply of both training and duty ammo for it.

.357Sig 140 FP/147 XTP is stacked high and deep for the same reason.

GR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The S & W Shield EZs appear to be built on a commonly sized action, smaller than the M & P, larger than the Shield Plus, and the stats from the manufacturer are available, but that info was not a factor in my purchase. The 380's seem to be low on both power and penetration and the 30 Super Carry does not share those shortcomings. It behaves much like the 9mm.

Part of shooting and reloading is the learning involved and this new cartridge is providing me with new questions and new lessons. I originally had a few firearms that were the start of learning the fundamentals of shooting and reloading and then I was enticed to explore further, expanding the envelope, as we might say. I ventured into wildcats, AIs, new and different powders and all kinds of guns and sights. Now I am viscerally involved in finding answers with an innovative cartridge and an intriguing gun. I applaud advancements in engineering, design and production in whatever direction it takes us and try to encourage a sense of adventure in students, kids and friends. I also appreciate the traditional, routine, everyday reliability of stuff that works, so this 30 Super Carry experiment keeps my mind engaged with a fresh idea while I enjoy retirement.

Some new cartridges become commercially successful, which is one way to measure achievement, while others have floundered, without support from the manufacturer or sportsmen. Let us see where this round is headed on its merits, not our prejudgment. I am enjoying the journey.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Looks like a cool round

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don’t know much about it but if sales support production the ammo will become cheaper. The 9mm has huge sales and so follows the support. Anything new is going to have to prove its worth before large runs bring the prices down. Just my thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (160user, 222ND, 2500HD, 2003and2013, 257 mag, 163bc, 62 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,789
Posts18,477,285
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.